Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
How does it feel to be dumb?

Destroid

Arcane
The people of the Culture society in Ian Banks Culture novels can change gender (although it is a technological process through implants they all have rather than innate).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
A mega dungeon would be awesome. In an infinity-inspired game a dungeon like Durlag's Tower or Watcher's Keep would be sweet as fuck.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's already at 25 pages of topics. If I were Obsidian I would leave it here, ignore everything, and do it my way. What a total sewer.

This is why listening to fans is an absolutely horrid idea. M.A.X. 2 was developed while taking every reasonable fan desire into consideration, and it turned into a zoo.

Let this just be a way to content the masses, but make sure they have no influence on the process.
Sawyer doesn't pander but he does consider forum feedback important
http://twofoldsilence.diogenes-lamp.info/2011/01/actually-some-developers-should-read.html

Why the fuck do modern RPG's need lesbian or gay or transsexual characters? What does this add to the game or even the character? Nothing.
RPGs should only have cisgendered heterosexuals says cisgendered heterosexual.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Nothing against that, but it's becoming ridiculous : if they merely wanted to be represented, the ability to choose a female portrait for a male ingame avatar (or the other way around) would be more than enough. And it would be more than easy to implement : just make gender, PC model, portrait and soundset separate choices. How hard would that be ?
Then they could LARP to their heart's content ; but i suspect they just want to keep moaning and groaning...

Hey, this is supposed to be a game about adventuring and stuffies. Not social commentary and sexual exploration. Fuck this retardery.

Or we could also add furries, footjobs, and carfuckers; so we don't oprese any minority.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
I believe a game, book, movie, or any other similar product should be addressed to a specific group; trying to please everyone and to not offend anyone is a highway to fail or mediocrity. You're a straight guy, go play this; you're a fag you belong to a sexually unorthodox minority, go play that or install this mod. Simple.

Fags don't want equality. They want privileges.

Cosmo

Arcane
I prefer universality and blank PCs to this "let's cling together" nazi-boy mentality.
And also those "minorities versus majority" problems are awfully US-centric. That may come as a revelation to some of you, but there are places in this world where people can actually live together without becoming whiny bitches.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
If you can handle a game with pointy eared white supremacists

Y'know, Roguey...despite what you may think about me, I am mostly in agreement with you on most of these issues. But you ruin it when you put the tinfoil hat on.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Hey, this is supposed to be a game about adventuring and stuffies. Not social commentary and sexual exploration. Fuck this retardery.

Or we could also add furries, footjobs, and carfuckers; so we don't oprese any minority.
Fantasy as a genre has always been used to explore social issues and themes, expanding upon them and shedding new light on them in ways we can't (or won't; it helps avoid sad knee-jerk reactions if you get your players to sympathise with the downtrodden, oppressed orcs or something rather than black people). Whether it's successful at that is another matter, but I don't see why anyone is surprised that Obsidian is doing the same, given their pedigree and penchant for story/narrative-focused game design. We didn't fund a new SSI game here. It's going to have a lot of words, and I'm not going to react with a violent fit of shitting myself and screeching about how dare they attempt to give their writing some level of real-world relevance. Fantasy for the sake of making up cool shit has been boring the hell out of me for a long, long time. It's not going to be some massive 40-hour pride parade; whatever they come up with will be at least more grey than that.They handled gay characters (for example) exceptionally well in New Vegas, by making them genuine, fleshed-out human beings that happened to be gay while still exploring the issue of how the various factions treated homosexuality and making it fairly nuanced (the cartoonishly evil Legion being more accepting than the NCR). When given total creative control, I don't see them putting out anything below that par.

I certainly don't want LGBT issues to be the main focus of the game, but it's frankly ridiculous at this point to suggest they're going to be anything more than acknowledged and/or dealt with as part of a larger schism between races; frankly, if they're going with the latter, I can't wait to see what they come up with, as the idea of nations/races being opposed in part due to innate biological differences which have driven them into incompatible cultures is an interesting one that could make for some great gameplay/C&C scenarios. Either way, it's hardly going to be a reduction to Bioware-level tokenism. I'm looking forward to seeing alien races that aren't just reskinned orcs or sexy sexy blue lesbian masturbation fantasies.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If you can handle a game with pointy eared white supremacists

Y'know, Roguey...despite what you may think about me, I am mostly in agreement with you on most of these issues. But you ruin it when you put the tinfoil hat on.
I'm LARPing. I really don't have any strong feelings for or against elves but it makes for fantastic trolling material
http://requireshate.wordpress.com/2011/08/07/elves-suck-generic-fantasy-writers-are-stupid/

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Again, I'm confused by how someone would want to play a transgender PC. Isn't the whole point behind transgenderism to be the gender that you were not born with? The whole transitioning phase thing is purely a practical complication within our world. Why would you want to roleplay a transgender? It makes no sense.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
I certainly don't want LGBT issues to be the main focus of the game, but it's frankly ridiculous at this point to suggest they're going to be anything more than acknowledged and/or dealt with as part of a larger schism between races; frankly, if they're going with the latter, I can't wait to see what they come up with, as the idea of nations/races being opposed in part due to innate biological differences which have driven them into incompatible cultures is an interesting one that could make for some great gameplay/C&C scenarios.
:bro:

Genders are as much an influence in culture as anything else. It's about time we have hermaphrodite or otherwise gendered cultures in our fantasy.

Cosmo

Arcane
Someone should ask them if they really want to put mexican surgery clinics in a fantasy world.

I certainly don't want LGBT issues to be the main focus of the game, but it's frankly ridiculous at this point to suggest they're going to be anything more than acknowledged and/or dealt with as part of a larger schism between races; frankly, if they're going with the latter, I can't wait to see what they come up with, as the idea of nations/races being opposed in part due to innate biological differences which have driven them into incompatible cultures is an interesting one that could make for some great gameplay/C&C scenarios.
:bro:

Genders are as much an influence in culture as anything else. It's about time we have hermaphrodite or otherwise gendered cultures in our fantasy.

65009__468x_anime-fansub-failure-002.jpg

And

:mhd:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Fantasy as a genre has always been used to explore social issues and themes, expanding upon them and shedding new light on them in ways we can't (or won't; it helps avoid sad knee-jerk reactions if you get your players to sympathise with the downtrodden, oppressed orcs or something rather than black people). Whether it's successful at that is another matter, but I don't see why anyone is surprised that Obsidian is doing the same, given their pedigree and penchant for story/narrative-focused game design. We didn't fund a new SSI game here. It's going to have a lot of words, and I'm not going to react with a violent fit of shitting myself and screeching about how dare they attempt to give their writing some level of real-world relevance. Fantasy for the sake of making up cool shit has been boring the hell out of me for a long, long time. It's not going to be some massive 40-hour pride parade; whatever they come up with will be at least more grey than that.They handled gay characters (for example) exceptionally well in New Vegas, by making them genuine, fleshed-out human beings that happened to be gay while still exploring the issue of how the various factions treated homosexuality and making it fairly nuanced (the cartoonishly evil Legion being more accepting than the NCR). When given total creative control, I don't see them putting out anything below that par.

I certainly don't want LGBT issues to be the main focus of the game, but it's frankly ridiculous at this point to suggest they're going to be anything more than acknowledged and/or dealt with as part of a larger schism between races; frankly, if they're going with the latter, I can't wait to see what they come up with, as the idea of nations/races being opposed in part due to innate biological differences which have driven them into incompatible cultures is an interesting one that could make for some great gameplay/C&C scenarios. Either way, it's hardly going to be a reduction to Bioware-level tokenism. I'm looking forward to seeing alien races that aren't just reskinned orcs or sexy sexy blue lesbian masturbation fantasies.

One of the youngest and most clear-headed members of the Codex, ladies and gentlemen :salute:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
A mechanic similar to MoTB Spirit Meter is a great way to discourage rest-scumming.

At the same time it's a majestic dumbfuck detector:thumbsup:

Only as far as I remember, it was terribly unbalanced and good/spell casting characters were hurt in the process.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Only as far as I remember, it was terribly unbalanced and good/spell casting characters were hurt in the process.
I don't know about spell casters, but good characters got it easy because they could keep it in check quite easily and, at some point something happened which made it trivial for good characters to keep it in check (I don't remember the detais because it's quite some time since I played it).

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
I don't know about spell casters, but good characters got it easy because they could keep it in check quite easily and, at some point something happened which made it trivial for good characters to keep it in check (I don't remember the detais because it's quite some time since I played it).

I will need to replay it but, IIRC you could eat souls on the go if you were bad, but could do nothing if you are good. Besides, it never proved to be an obstacle, but only to be nuisance for me. It also distracted from the game a bit and that is never a good thing...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom