Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Stinger

Arcane
I'd say it's more to do with Obsidian's reputation and popularity compared to inXile's (just look at that massive boost halfway through the Wasteland chart which can only be that Chris Avellone announcement) rather than anything to do with the combat mechanics.

And nope, not butthurt, here's hoping Eternity reaches DFA funding and beyond.

EDIT: Oh geez talk about a straw man.

From the kickstarter comments:
Geoffrey Brent said:
Special request: would it be possible to have a "no rape in story" guarantee? I have friends who would LOVE to play something like this, but are twitchy about buying electronic games because of rapey content in plot or backstory.
Most of your games have been fine on this, but one particular storyline in Arcanum left me feeling very uncomfortable, and for several of my friends it would've been quite upsetting. There are plenty of ways to motivate characters without that.
"Rapey content", that's a good term.

No rape in my genocide and pillaging simulators please, it makes me feel unconfortable.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...erid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=97#post407749376

So now we goons need to scrape together $5,000 to design our own adventuring company before RPG Codex creates "Super White Supremacy Team" or something.

Too late bro. :martini:
someone awful said:
Make the group the Social Justicars to piss off that bigot forum people were posting about earlier.
I love that the goons want to pledge for this tier just to "piss off" the Codex. We are trolling them without even trying, and generating extra money for the bros at Obsidian in the process.
:neveraskedforthis:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...erid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=97#post407749376

So now we goons need to scrape together $5,000 to design our own adventuring company before RPG Codex creates "Super White Supremacy Team" or something.

Too late bro. :martini:
someone awful said:
Make the group the Social Justicars to piss off that bigot forum people were posting about earlier.
I love that the goons want to pledge for this tier just to "piss off" the Codex. We are trolling them without even trying, and generating extra money for the bros at Obsidian in the process.
:neveraskedforthis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeZZ4cawrrU

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I vote we totally blow everyone's minds with our crew. They're all by-sexual, and you can avoid fighting them by seducing each one. However, you have to do it in the exact right order and dialog choices otherwise they ambush you while you're in bed with one of them.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Guess RTwP is better than Turn Based combat.

The market has spoken.
At least you won't get dragged into inconsequential encounters that take hours to play through due to the turn based nature. E.g. Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Dranor.
No, instead you'll just play through hours of inconsequential encounters but you won't notice it till it's too late because each individual battle is over quickly. Like the mythical slowly boiling frog.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Guess RTwP is better than Turn Based combat.

The market has spoken.
At least you won't get dragged into inconsequential encounters that take hours to play through due to the turn based nature. E.g. Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Dranor.
No, instead you'll just play through hours of inconsequential encounters but you won't notice it till it's too late because each individual battle is over quickly. Like the mythical slowly boiling frog.
I just think it's much easier to fuck up turn based than the other method.

I vote we totally blow everyone's minds with our crew. They're all by-sexual, and you can avoid fighting them by seducing each one. However, you have to do it in the exact right order and dialog choices otherwise they ambush you while you're in bed with one of them.

The Warriors of Diversity is a great idea - make them hostile on sight so goons will be forced to slaughter a group of blacks, pakis, homosexuals and transgenders in self defense.

Mmmmmm, I can taste the christian heterosexual white male guilt already.

edit:

There should be a white knight in the group!
That would be Wyrmlord, despite his brownish avatar he is currently inhabiting.

Hiver?

"You see a man clad in pearl-white armor. He is smiling. He is holding a bar stool, and saying something about 'tough love'. Why is he smiling?"

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I just think it's much easier to fuck up turn based than the other method.
Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 plus expansions, Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2, Dragon Age 1 and 2, Drakensang plus expanions and Jagged Alliance: Back in Action suggest that it's quite easy to make rtwp combat that isn't very fun.

Stinger

Arcane
If we're really going to do the $5K tier I'd prefer if it was just the codex admins/mods...no need to give other twats more exposure than they deserve just for being edgy.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 plus expansions, Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 [...] suggest that it's quite easy to make rtwp combat that isn't very fun.
Shoehorning a turn-based ruleset into RTwP will do that.

Dragon Age 1 and 2 [...] suggest that it's quite easy to make rtwp combat that isn't very fun.
While I agree that encounter design was boring, the RTwP mechanics worked and was well designed (even if a bit MMOy). Probably the best implementation I've seen of it in an combatfag RPG.

Drakensang plus expanions and Jagged Alliance: Back in Action suggest that it's quite easy to make rtwp combat that isn't very fun.
Never played these.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If we're really going to do the $5K tier I'd prefer if it was just the codex admins/mods...no need to give other twats more exposure than they deserve just for being edgy.

That could be a nice idea. But Vault Dweller also deserves a spot, especially since he's been so enthusiastic about this Kickstarter.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Check the religion forum to finish your fascinating GD discussion.

Anyways back to Obsidians forum.... WHO DO WE CURRENTLY NEED TO KILL WITH FIRE?

Stinger

Arcane
First the annoyance at the Jew trolls, now this? Are you a spy from SA?

The Jew trolls thing was mostly guilt on my part, admittedly it was a bit reassuring when everyone rallied behind it, and as for this, I just feel the codex staff have done so much more for the forums than Skyway or Volourn or whoever. I mean why put Skyway in the game, he's never going to play it and just call it shit from the outset. Meanwhile the actual codex staff have all done a lot for the forums and set up many of the fundraisers in the first place. Those guys are the ones who'd actually deserve it.

That could be a nice idea. But Vault Dweller also deserves a spot, especially since he's been so enthusiastic about this Kickstarter.

VD isn't part of the staff? But yeah, I was including him as part of it.

At the start of the encounter the player character can attempt to reason with the Codex using speech/other diplomatic dialogue options but every attempt at reasoning will be torn apart by VD in a point by point fashion until the only dialogue option left is just mindless raging.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Stinger Former member of the staff. The tale of his fall from grace and eventual ouster is fraught with drama.

Read some threads from around November 2007 if you're interested.

Stinger

Arcane
Time to brush up on some codex lore.

Shame the one topic that covers VD getting cast down ('Bees tend to fly vertically') is the only one not hyperlinked to a thread in the list of Codex dramas.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Surprisingly, can't see any worthy target. Seems they still have't recuperated from the fall of official LGBT thread.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
JE Sawyer: To clarify, some people use traditional armor to augment their arcane veils because the veil itself is vulnerable to penetration. The arcane veil is reactive; armor is a physical barrier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom