Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For muscle the warriors should employ a hulked out neanderthal ranger with a luscious mullet and a golden retriever animal companion.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
How is it decided who gets to be in the group for the game? biggest donators?

Nigro

Educated
Official LGBT thread is down. I didn't even have to do anything there. It burned down by itself.
It was just a bait, me and some other guy got warnings, and now my posts need approval.
btw anyone know this mod tale?
he is a girl, right?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have claimed one of the 5000$ tiers, so now we just need DarkUnderlord to start the fundraiser.
:bravo:

How is it decided who gets to be in the group for the game? biggest donators?
Only those of legendary forum status should be eligible, IMHO. Such things as filthy lucre should not have any bearing on the choosing process (unless you decide to bribe DU, I guess).

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
We first need to discuss if we're going to go with the popamole idea of hurr durr codex posters as the party or if we are actually going to come up with something good, as with W2.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Let's get the fundraiser started first. Then we can discuss it in a different thread, in the Site Feedback forum. This thread should remain for general Eternity news.

Grimlorn

Arcane
It may be fantasy but if this word has some internal coherency there is no way they would tolerate openly gay/TG/furrfag characters. Manly Showing Honor in Prisons/Long boats etc and healthy dose of Greek style Pedophilia and Redneck Incest? Yes Maybe, but not this XX century shit only possible cause people are not required by nature and society to work with their hands and have children as pension insurance. Oh why Obsidian is not making Kickstarter for Acanum 2 or TOEE 2 instead of this DA Deluxe elven faggotry? :x
I don't mind some gay characters but if those assholes had their way. Half the characters would be LGBT, your party would all be BI so everyone could romance each other, and you'd have to sit through cutscenes of gay guys crying about their dead bf. It would be terrible.

Obsidian shouldn't even need to be petitioned. They've done it before, they'll do it again. Just these people from Bioware have an inflated sense of worth and entitlement. They think every little opinion they have is as valid as the next guy's.

GreyViper

Prophet
@Spectacle
Sir my hat is off to you for that noble move.:incline::salute:
Whatever you come up I think it will be great just don't go to rude. The Prosper sanity vampire is nice example, add some of Prospers greatest hits to dialog and im sure you have unique villain.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Characters also wouldn't have a gender because that's sexist or something. I don't understand it either.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If most of those people had their way we'd have Dragon Age minus the story and combat.

Fixed and :incline: ed. MA at first was good decent Space Opera until Tallimancers made their evil magic. I am not against Homo characters if they will be treated historicly not politiclcy correct... Like they were in FNV... and I will get my Brothels and Bathouses. :smug:

Shadenuat

Arcane
It's curious how they carefuly shove guns into setting. At first it was just like "In some cultures single-shot flintlock pistols exist for specific purposes of warfare". Now these are almost inside the battle-system, with mages starting to arm themselves because guns can pierce their defenses. Elegant, but bold - probably some people would feel betrayed after, instead of Baldur's Gate 3, Obsidian would deliver them Arcanum 2 :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Will a Fixed viewpoint be damaging to the immersion?
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60...aging-to-the-immersion-also-amount-of-combat/

I am excited hearing about obsidian making a new game but please dont be fixated on a fixed viewpoint like isometric, theres been a general advancement , a evolution if you will in gaming to more of ,a modern approach with 1st person views or at least having a camera were you can pan to truly admire the clothing and accesories and tattoos of your character (the character that YOU spend time making) if you do implement a camera which you can rotate please make it better than fallout new vegas which though was a good idea but looked..awkward. ,. and viewpoint is paramount to immersive experience, i want to feel like im actually IN the world , so viewpoint and then atmosphere, then story , then continuity etc

But a 1st person viewpoint like new vegas would be brilliant in a fantasy setting, let me set the scene:

My character has a tomahawk in one hand and a bola in the other (for example sake i understand there will be firearms in the game, probably rifle or primitive machine gun maybe an explosive or magic imbued firearm)I kick down the front door of a house spliters fly everywhere - details like this will help with immersion - the music then starts to pipe up in volume - maybe a orchestral style music piece to really fit the scene as my character goes into battle.

The tomahawk is thrown blindly (the shards are still splintering the air obscuring the view) and misses, the bola is thrown at an orcs legs and he falls over .
my character then pulls out a bow and notches an arrow
because its first person you can actually SEE the fear in the orcs eyes as hes about to be shot by my arrow and realises that ill then move on and kill his family (orcs=evil creatures) and get my reward from the quest giver.

now that deals with the superior viewpoint and thats just one example, imagine all the combat in the game it should be like Neverwinter nights 2 were you kill countless creatures and you can really get an impression for the overwhelming strength and power of your characters as they just cut everything to pieces in each and every battle almost without effort- but this time up close and personal.

Now i hope that looting is more of a streamlined process perhaps like dungeon siege (if i recall correctly that is) were you can automatically collect up all the gold pieces and then you can choose to pick up the nicer stuff like swords which SHOULD display DPS since the MMO style item properties IS a evolution in gameplay. (as picked up on by Obsidians prior Fallout New Vegas) and more immersive than having a description for the item then a +1 +2 etc which actually fell out of favour anyway.

So HUGE kudos to Obsidian, good luck with the game - i am indeed a backer but dont be afraid to change gameplay or camera angels which may hamper the immersive aspect of the game.

:declining:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
When are they going to talk about game mechanics? I want them to explain the magic system dammit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom