Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This game is going to be boring
Well, I hope not. It would kind of destroy the purpose of crowd-funding RPGs. There's plenty of mainstream boring games, we don't need to invest money to get those.

I didn't mean the whole game, Mr. Cherry-Picker McQuoterson. I just meant it's going to look like Tolkien or D&D and there won't be surprises.

I expect the dialogue and combat system to both be interesting however, and hopefully the game as a whole is very entertaining.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I didn't mean the whole game, Mr. Cherry-Picker McQuoterson. I just meant it's going to look like Tolkien or D&D and there won't be surprises.
:lol:
Ok, but I still don't consider this setting as generic as it could have been (*cough* Dragon Age *cough*). Yes, it is high-fantasy, but it seems to promise enough distinction to be memorable and fun.

I expect the dialogue and combat system to both be interesting however, and hopefully the game as a whole is very entertaining.
Yes, please.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Ok, but I still don't consider this setting as generic as it could have been (*cough* Dragon Age *cough*). Yes, it is high-fantasy, but it seems to promise enough distinction to be memorable and fun.

Fair point on Dragon Age. I guess it depends on how much variance you need to consider something truly different looking, which likely depends on the person. I tend to eyeroll at minor changes like the guns Infinitron mentions and beg for really different settings like Fallout and Torment.

I'll still buy P:E when it comes out and surely enjoy it, however.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Worst furries ever, Sawyer wants to end fapping.
Ganguro bunnies are better than hobbit hares:
Jote.JPG

LeJosh

Savant
Rezzed: Is storytelling in games getting any better? (John Walker hosts Dean Hall, Chris Avellone, Ragnar Tornquist, Ed Stern and Will Porter)

This should be fun. In a masochistic way.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
the eyes should be bigger and their faces should be more kawaii, other than that, I guess they're ok considering a gaijin designed them.

dunno lah

Arcane
The more kawaii the orlan, the more rule 34 of it there is, right?;)

But yeah, the orlans(hearth ones especially) look like humans with long ears. Pretty unimpressive...

Starym

Educated
The Reviving Exhortation sounds interesting, although it has high comedic potential if used early/mid-fight (and has more than one use per encounter). Talk about popamole.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Those Wild orlans look scarred, not hairy. But I don't mind. Unless MCA happens to write the character of his life and it happens to be an Orlan, I don't think I'll have one in my party.
I recall MCA saying Orlans were his favourite race. He may write an Orlan character then.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Those Wild orlans look scarred, not hairy. But I don't mind. Unless MCA happens to write the character of his life and it happens to be an Orlan, I don't think I'll have one in my party.
I recall MCA saying Orlans were his favourite race. He may write an Orlan character then.

I'm expecting furry elves or some crap, art looks ridiculous, but it's better than the genasi at least.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The paladin mechanics look like they're gonna be excruciating to manage in RTwP. Small variations on aura distance and checking to make sure you keep your team within range.

UUUUUURGGGHHHHH

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I didn't mind the distance factor when it came to bard songs or the paladin's aura of courage in the IWDs.

Machocruz

Arcane
Maybe there will some type of commands where you can set distances between party members, like a slider or rule with notches in it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I didn't mind the distance factor when it came to bard songs or the paladin's aura of courage in the IWDs.

You didn't because both those were insignificant mostly so you could care less if you were within range. Even the powerful auras weren't vital (and Paladin's certainly wasn't). You won't be able to if abilities have the impact Josh wishes them to.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Well hopefully the auras will be graphically shown (without being obstructive) so that it's less guessing and more "put your guy in the big circle."

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well hopefully the auras will be graphically shown (without being obstructive) so that it's less guessing and more "put your guy in the big circle."

Okay, I can dig that. Leave it to me to not think of the obvious. Was in IE-mode :)

Rake

Arcane

Okay, I can dig that. Leave it to me to not think of the obvious. Was in IE-mode :)
The problem with this is if there are more characters with active auras, chanter's songs, etc. at the same time, the screen could become a disco instead of a battlefield. I don't want to watch a clusterfuck of lights ala NWN2 spells

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

The problem with this is if there are more characters with active auras, chanter's songs, etc. at the same time, the screen could become a disco instead of a battlefield. I don't want to watch a clusterfuck of lights ala NWN2 spells

Well then the key is to limit aura buffs or to do away with the small variations on many aura distances.

Either way, there's great potential for bullshit here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom