Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If they only show aoe circles for selected characters it shouldn't be a problem.

Rake

Arcane
At the end of the day the problem is that Sawyer wants positioning to be importand in battles. And in RTwP that is tricky. I loved IE combat, but that worked because IE ignored positioning. NWN2 made it matter(less than PE for all we know) and we know how that ended.
I won't say it can't be done right, but the potential for fuckup is there.

Rake

Arcane
At the end of the day the problem is that Sawyer wants positioning to be importand in battles.

Yep.
Sawyer:
All Zealous auras apply to paladins as well as the people around them. That said, scattering the party is playing against the benefits of the paladin just as having a barbarian solo a singular powerful enemy is playing against the barbarian's benefits (specifically, Carnage AoE melee damage) and having a wizard try to dump low-damage AoEs on one or two targets is playing against the wizard's benefits.

Positioning is often an important element of IE combat and we believe it should be in PE as well. Fighters works well as islands. You can plant them in the middle of a hallway (even a wide one) and they can lock down melee combatants running through the area. They work less well (or rather, provide less benefit) in immediate proximity to their allies because they can't force anyone to engage them over someone else. They also have trouble when enemies are primarily ranged-based and spread out.

Paladins do not work well as islands. They work well with one or more allies around them. They don't have to be holding hands, but they can't be on opposite sites of a battlefield. Yes, a wizard, ranger, and rogue in the party could spread far out from the paladin (I don't really think most of them need to), but in many cases, a full party will likely have two more melee-oriented characters in the party (most IE parties have 2 or 3). A paladin standing 10' in front of a ranger and wizard can provide the same Zealous Barrage benefits to shooters and casters that he or she would if he or she ran up alongside a monk and a barbarian. Even if a ranger or wizard are on the other side of the battlefield, if they are the closest ally attacking the paladin's current target, they'll gain the benefit of Coordinated Attacks.

Paladin Talents will unlock more offensive capabilities for them, but the bog-standard paladins won't hit like wet noodles just because they don't have Abilities specifically dedicated to smashing in faces. It makes sense that in a tabletop game like D&D, a "buff beacon" character should be avoided because the player experience can be boring. That's why 4E buff abilities are often minor actions or they are side effects of attacks (e.g. Healing Strike). In a party-based CRPG where the player is controlling up to six characters, every class doesn't need to be a self-contained murder machine with the same number of active use (or even offensive) abilities.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
XQueFg7.jpg

Kem0sabe

Arcane
At the end of the day the problem is that Sawyer wants positioning to be importand in battles. And in RTwP that is tricky. I loved IE combat, but that worked because IE ignored positioning. NWN2 made it matter(less than PE for all we know) and we know how that ended.
I won't say it can't be done right, but the potential for fuckup is there.

I always had trouble micromanaging backstabbing rogues in rtwp games, i feel like turned based is the ideal format if you want to make positioning essential to combat.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Positioning is always weird when it comes to attacks of opportunity, especially when sides comes into play. In BG2 as Assassin your only option was to crawl to main mage and stick your dagger right up his ass and then - run the hell out, showering in healing potions.
If PE would feature once again mages as they were in BG2 - i.e. main targets that should be taken ASAP, then speed would be useful only if ranged weapons and abilities would suck.
And we know that firearms' speciality in PE world is fucking up wizards.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ok, I promise* to drop the colon subject after this, but I couldn't resist myself.

THERE IS NO COLON IN PROJECT ETERNITY DAMMIT

J.E.S. himself proves You wrong!

Josh Sawyer said:
We will be doing an update on the technology of P:E, but in brief, the firearms of this world are relatively recent inventions and equivalent to the single-shot wheellock weapons found in 16th century Europe. Their use is uncommon and for specific purposes.

See? :smug:

source: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60265-please-no-guns/page-2#entry1192544

*maybe

Branm

Learned
Sounds like they want Temple of Elemental Evil style combat with positioning ....cat see it working in RTwP unless the overall combat speed is significantly slower then in NWN2 for instance.

Starym

Educated
I feel like slow motion will be the new pause, or even the default way to do combat in general in P[STILLNOCOLONMOTHERFUCKER]E. Sounds pretty good to me, especially if they actually allow for a range of speeds instead of just 1 togglable option - you'd only do really easy encounters in real time. At least that's how I hope I'll be playing.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I'm kind of curious as to whether the Paladin's auras power level will be set to make each aura generally useful in every situation or if different auras will be fairly weak in some contexts and really strong in others. Basically will there be distinct tactical decision-making around choosing to use particular auras. For example an offensive aura might be useful to quickly take down a single powerful melee enemy with high defenses so you can get to the high-damage ouput mage behind him. Then switch over to move-speed to dash to the mage. Once you are at the mage, you might not need the offensive boost b/c of how squishy he is, so you switch over to a defensive aura to protect the party from the skeleton archers around him.

The problem is that it seems difficult to have an aura that is powerful in one context but weak/mediocre in another with generic more damage/more defense type attributes. An aura that added a piercing characteristic to your attacks or provided magic specific defenses would be much more interesting.

DraQ

Arcane
I feel like slow motion will be the new pause, or even the default way to do combat in general in P[STILLNOCOLONMOTHERFUCKER]E. Sounds pretty good to me, especially if they actually allow for a range of speeds instead of just 1 togglable option - you'd only do really easy encounters in real time. At least that's how I hope I'll be playing.
Slomo is definitely better than pause in a lot of way. Not having to toggle it all the fucking time being the first.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
I was guessing about 15-20 thousand first couple weeks at 60$ and maybe 5-10 thousand in 10$ steam sale. Everyone who was into this genre probably paid already and those who didn't will buy it in first week.
Comparing this to the Last shitty DMC that sold 1.1 million is little sad.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
If they show some gameplay footage this weekend that should generate a lot of buzz. There's been quite a few Slacker Backers showing up on the Obsidian forums over the past 6 months as well.

Rake

Arcane
30$-50$ seems reasonable. Lower than 30 won't be because backers must have it cheaper, above 50 would be too much for a no cinematic AAAAAAAAAAAA game. Plus Obsidian doesn't need to sell at 60$ per game to have profit. If i was to quess it would be somewhere in the midle.40-45.
EDIT: oh, you mean sales. Noone know but i'm strangely optimistic. I believe based on comments in other forums that there are many people who would buy the game but didn't knew or don't care about kickstarter. I believe that it will sale 1M copies, just not at first week like AAA games. Remember, BG2 and PS:T continiue to sell even today.

Gozma

Arcane

Yeah, everything he mentions sounds like a micromanagement click nightmare if the game has pause (that thing where he said a paladin gives a bonus to the nearest ally even if they're far away made me cringe at all the eyeball measurements and multiclicks it was going to cause). Taking it full MOBA mouse action game is the only way through, and slow mo is the only way to make that complicated.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was guessing about 15-20 thousand first couple weeks at 60$ and maybe 5-10 thousand in 10$ steam sale. Everyone who was into this genre probably paid already and those who didn't will buy it in first week.
Comparing this to the Last shitty DMC that sold 1.1 million is little sad.

You mean the number of people who will buy the game? That's a gross underestimation. Legend of Grimrock sold hundreds of thousands of copies, dude.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom