Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
Lately it's been difficult to categorize these games, especially games that are 3D. They use some action mechanics for dodging and moving and we see the combat in action. But there was difference in Witcher, Witcher combat used reflex based actions to dodge/parry but it had many options that allow you to build your character to different styles and it was not geared towards your reflexes. Hell you could complete game with reflexes of a mule.

And yes i was talking about Fallout's. Witcher compared to fallout 1-2 it had many skill paths one could take, 3 different combat forms, 5-6 different magic forms, 21 potions. You had so many options for your character specialization and combat wasn't based around how fast you can dodge but it depends on how you built your character, your preparation for the battle, your decisions.
In fallout series only thing you did was clicking on enemy and choosing which part of the body you wanted to hit.(Hitting leg's and arm's were generally useless so most aimed for eyes)
No option to hide behind cover, no option protect yourself, no tactical variety between battles hence no difference between fighting raiders and mutants. No preparation required for battles. You only choose perks collected items and clicked on enemies hoping for criticals.

Don't get me wrong(Drop your torches please), i don't categorise Fallout's combat as an action game combat but Witcher combat is better than fallout combat when it comes to rpg combat.

Though as i said modern games are always open to discussion and there are no scrict rules that defines genres.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I wouldn't classify the Witcher 1 or 2 as ARPGs like Diablo/TQ etc but the combat is very 3rd person action game-y in The Witcher 2.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, what Infinitron said.

Damn 2012 newfags can't even recognize an ARPG when they see one.

Horus

Arcane
Rule of thumb: If it's real-time with no auto attack, it's an action RPG.
Arcanum? Planescape? Baldur's Gate? Witcher melee combat just allowed player to combine his attack to powerful combo with additional clicking. You could from what i remember just choose enemy and bash him away with 1 hit's.
A succesfull single-click attack actually looks like a sequence of multiple maneuvers, performed automatically by Geralt. If clicked in the midst of action, Geralt ceases to do anything and brief time penalty is applied before he could restart attacking. Thus, the worst course of actions in the swordfight is impatient rapid clicking on enemy. Mentioned sequenceis not to be confused withChained attacks, which basically is a succession of such sequences and is described later in the article.
There is a usual "chance-to-hit" mechanism in the game's engine, which determines the outcome of particular attack attempt. Multiple factors substitute (e.g. character's "attack"dexterity-related attribute, enemy's ability to dodge and parry, timings of actual blows, etc.)

Horus

Arcane
Not exactly what? Not exactly 'action'? How much action would it need to be an ARPG in Your opinion?

Require you to time your attacks against enemy movement, faster combat pace that requires fast reflexes for dodging and using potions, useless status effects and potions that force player to use most damaging attacks all the time. No difference between combating different enemies.

Of course there can be games that lose some of these qualifications but still remain as an action rpg but that generally means it's a hybrid games.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Arcanum? Planescape? Baldur's Gate? Witcher melee combat just allowed player to combine his attack to powerful combo with additional clicking. You could from what i remember just choose enemy and bash him away with 1 hit's.
Simplicity of action combat does not make it non-action.

You apparently have problems with understanding the concept, so let me phrase it this way:

If an RPG requires constant player input in real time, it is an ARPG.

Simple enough?

Arcanum is a turn-based game.
Baldur's Gate and Torment are RTWP (note the 'WP' part).

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Not exactly what? Not exactly 'action'? How much action would it need to be an ARPG in Your opinion?

Require you to time your attacks against enemy movement, faster combat pace that requires fast reflexes for dodging and using potions, useless status effects and potions that force player to use most damaging attacks all the time. No difference between combating different enemies.
I can't believe I fell for such obvious (well, now it's obvious) trolling. I'm not at my best wits today.
:5/5: :0/5:
Not the best effort, but apparently good enough to fool me.

Horus

Arcane

I can't believe I fell for such obvious (well, now it's obvious) trolling. I'm not at my best wits today.
:5/5: :0/5:
Not the best effort, but apparently good enough to fool me.

Hey,i think i deserve at least :2/5:.:rpgcodex:

Rake

Arcane
You can pause, click on enemy and resume to attack in Witcher. :troll:
You click on enemy and your char starts attacking, and continiues to attack by himself. No more input required, just like in strategy games. In Witcher you click, and you deal one blow. To win a fight you have to click,click,click for every hit. That's action RPG. Sure,you time your clicks, unlike Diablo for excample, but it is still action RPG.
:2/5:

Horus

Arcane
It's a general codex consensus that Witcher is an ARPG then? Still i find it funny that even though Witcher combat has more RPG combat options to it, it's ARPG. While Fallout games are technically Diablo clones in combat but isn't considered ARPG because they're TB.

Rake

Arcane
It's a general codex consensus that Witcher is an ARPG then? Still i find it funny that even though Witcher combat has more RPG combat options to it, it's ARPG. While Fallout games are technically Diablo clones in combat but isn't considered ARPG because they're TB.
Fallout = shalow tactical combat.
Witcher = deep action combat.
Witcher still has the RPG part of ARPG. That doesn't makes it any less actiony

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Um what
They're both shallow. Pre-buffing with potions and oils doesn't make it deep.

Rake

Arcane
Um what
They're both shallow. Pre-buffing with potions and oils doesn't make it deep.
In comparison with other action games loke Diablo's combat

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In comparison with other action games loke Diablo's combat
Your build and equipment matter more in Diablo plus having to figure out how to use the environment to your advantage when facing large groups.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom