Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I wish all that tech stuff about graphics was an official kickstarter update.

You can take the company away from the PR guys, but you can't take the PR out of the company.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
This was over the week (since the last update), so it might be talked about in the next or a coming update.

What did they say was coming up

Vertical Slice Progress, Fulfillment and other goodies.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/475523297363126588

PDBcDu8.png

Welp.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
There will be 2 pages of intense denial when I check this thread tomorrow
JOSH SAWYER WANTS TO END FUN [Obsidian's Project Eternity Thread]

Now featuring:
  • doublespeak
  • equivocation
  • obfuscation
  • waffling
  • backpedaling
  • goalpost-shifting
  • water-muddying
  • apologism
  • assorted hypocrisy

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's nothing much to deny. It's not necessarily a game breaker, any more than having 20 Con in AD&D is.

Let's post about this on the Obsidian forums and try to provoke some rage, though.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Is it on all the time or just during combat?

Stamina auto-regenerates outside of combat for all classes. The fighter is apparently the only class that has auto-regeneration of stamina within combat as well.

Melnorme 17m
How fast does it regenerate?

JESawyer 1m
The passive ability is not fast enough to save them from a really brutal assault, but it's enough to make a difference in a longer engagement.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Is it on all the time or just during combat?

Stamina auto-regenerates outside of combat for all classes. The fighter is apparently the only class that has auto-regeneration of stamina within combat as well.
Yeah I remembered that. :M

Melnorme 17m
How fast does it regenerate?

JESawyer 1m
The passive ability is not fast enough to save them from a really brutal assault, but it's enough to make a difference in a longer engagement.
Sounds somewhat more significant than 1 HP/hour.

Here's that thread: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64...ity-will-have-stamina-regeneration-in-combat/

Will cover mechanics be confirmed next week? :troll:

Wasteland 2 already has cover mechanics. :smug:
Hey, there's nothing wrong with cover mechanics. It's what people are supposed to go for when there is shit flying around.

Undestructible and automatic cover on the other hand...

Gozma

Arcane
I thought the stamina regen issue was already post-outrage. Being your regenerating Halo shield was always the point of it. And to produce Codex credits this was how Betrayal at Krondor and Darklands handled it

GOING DARK SO I CAN TRY TO ENJOY THESE GAMES ON A PRECRITICAL LEVEL

coffeetable

Savant
I wish all that tech stuff about graphics was an official kickstarter update.

You can take the company away from the PR guys, but you can't take the PR out of the company.

what

this constant trickle interesting info on formspring/reddit/forums/etc is about as far from structured pr as you can get. any pr guy would be tearing their hair out right

e: also considering the size of IE dungeons, it was always going to be either regenning stamina, buckets of potions or buckets of heal spells. regeneration is by far the most elegant of the three.

Diablo169

Arcane
I'm still not convinced all the shit they are planning is going to be fun or rewarding in an RTWP system anyway. This is hardly the biggest deal breaker for me. I need to see some actually combat game play to see for myself.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

circ

Arcane
So. Combat that's edging towards horrible DS3 consolitis possibly and rogues that aren't rogues. Sounds fun. Yeah I'm gonna pick up a rogue for their goddamn crit bonus. Even DA2 had shit for rogues to do.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So. Combat that's edging towards horrible DS3 consolitis possibly and rogues that aren't rogues. Sounds fun. Yeah I'm gonna pick up a rogue for their goddamn crit bonus. Even DA2 had shit for rogues to do.
How are they not rogue-like? They get a bonus to both stealth and mechanics and are the only class that gets a bonus to both. Massive backstab damage has been a rogue feature for ages.

Arkeus

Arcane
I have two dumb UI questions i am not sure wer know about: I expect we will have a journal, but will there be a part of the journal where we can write our own notes? Likewise, can we make our own annotations on the maps?

Second question is, we all know expert mode will force all the 'self-help' details off. Does this mean it will also force the quest part auto-journal off? (By that, i mean stuff like automatically logging in our journal where we must do each quests, and when a part of a quest is 'done'). Likewise for maps annotation?

It could make things more interesting.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I would like my game to be difficult. I don't think writing everything down myself is difficulty. So I hope not. Same goes for map annotations once I make discoveries myself.

I do hope it turns off anything resembling a quest compass though.

In fact, letting players turn on/off these options as they like sound infinitely better than an arbitrary Expert-mode.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Map annotations would be welcome from my part. I always liked in BG2 that I could put a mark on quest giver, so when I have 15 quests in my journal, I can easily find the people where I have to return after finishing a quest.

Arkeus

Arcane
In fact, letting players turn on/off these options as they like sound infinitely better than an arbitrary Expert-mode.
We were told that expert mod is basically 'turning on all the options that increases difficulty with no choice to turn them off', and that in the easy/normal/hard/very hard modes, you could simply turn them on or turn them off. I am not even sure that expert mode needs you to play on very hard either (you could probably play it on normal...).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom