Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

hiver

Super good swords made with memories of souls in magical fires ... what can go wrong? :)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
game shouldn't be too hard, we're aiming at IW1 for normal, BG2/IW2 for hard - sawyer
Good to know. Looks like I'm not playing on normal after all.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Josh said if it doesn't end up working (ie. they implement it, it sucks, and after multiple tries it still sucks) they'll cut it..

But that's also the biggest, most glaring hole in Roguey/Sawyer's game designing world of dreams. In which real development process can you scrap and rework something ad infinitum till it works? I've worked with dozens of systems - spending more than 1½ year on one - till it was done. Often constant reworking can end up harming the result and the coherency a great deal, especially when the deadline hits.

Considering Obsidian's track-record in Q&A, I'm astonished I'm the only one that has pointed out this problem multiple times.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Anyone know how weapon (and spell) damage will work? Will there be a static value (eg 4), a range (eg 3-6), or dice (eg 1d6)?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Roguey can probably provide you with some quotes on how JES prefers narrow ranges, or dice rolls that are biased towards the middle. But yes.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There has been no word on dice simulation. I would expect arbitrary ranges like 3-6 or 11-15.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yeah it'll be arbitrary ranges like 5-8 instead of 1-8.

lol one post away from being permabanned from Something Awful. I've seen people on there underpost more than me and they don't even get banned for it.

bzze.png

coffeetable

Savant
Yeah it'll be arbitrary ranges like 5-8 instead of 1-8.

lol one post away from being permabanned from Something Awful. I've seen people on there underpost more than me and they don't even get banned for it.

bzze.png

don't exaggerate, you'll just get banned, not perma'd

and you weren't dinged for 'underposting', you were dinged for worthless one line l33tspeak/':P' shitposts. i dunno what you were expecting

back to the game:

Yeah. Right now I've been thinking we'd use steel alloys as the primary means of increasing basic metal weapon stats (taking the place of things like "+1"). The poorer steels are Oromi and Glanfathan. Wyflan steel is generally considered "good" (normal). March and Ymyran steel are both considered great. Durgan (or "battery") steel items are no longer made and are highly prized. The only way to duplicate the properties of Durgan steel is to create skein/"copper" steel. That involves using the memories of a soul as literal fuel for the fires of a magical forge. It's contraband in some places and most people consider it SuperBad(tm).

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Nah

T. Finninho said:
This isn't a chat thread and your posting history in it has been awful. Knock it off or you'll be kicked out. User loses posting privileges for 1 week.

Under their rules three of the posts I've been put on probation for are fair enough. Not sure about the last one though. Reason I didn't say anything more there is I've already had an argument with AXE COP and his opinion of 'hardcore RPG gamers' and editions of D&D, and cbf starting another one of those.

Duraframe300

Arcane
There has been no word on dice simulation. I would expect arbitrary ranges like 3-6 or 11-15.
Small bit regarding that was actually mentioned in the gamestar article.

According to Sawyer: We use a bigger number range with more focus on detail - D&D on the other hand works with dice. You can't divide that into as many ranges as you want.

So, arbitary ranges.

Sensuki

Arcane
Kickstarter Update #36

Surge - This active ability allows fighters to rapidly regenerate Stamina for a short period of time.

This ability may have been changed since then though.

---

edit:

And in the above Something Awful post we have our reason as to why the Waterfall area has not had any paintover done since the new render, they were trying to fix the lighting hotspot issues on the statues among other things.

The post about color grading also explains this vine video.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
If it's an active ability, that's one thing. That post made it sound like they're constantly regenerating stamina.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Asked him.

I'm not even sure if I would mind it being passive ability, just wasn't expecting that.

Sensuki

Arcane
I'm gonna wait and see how it plays before I say whether I like it or not. The active ability may not have been strong enough, and after tweaking with the duration they could have just said, well, why don't we just make it passive?

People were generally against stamina regeneration in combat, but I suppose if anyone was to have it, it would be the Fighter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom