Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Maybe he was thinking of Tales of the Sword Coast. :)

We need a Chris Avellone bares all interview on the codex, so he can come clean on all these misunderstandings...

avbaresall.png

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If all characters act simultaneously, then it's phase-based.

Oh, Okay thanks.

I don't think I played any game with a slow motion turn based. The closest game I can think of is Final Fantasy's Active Time Battle with combat speed slowest and disabling the agility stats effect maybe?

I think you might have your definitions muddled. Turn-based combat doesn't need slow motion. Slow motion controls only make sense in the context of simultaneous combat where you need to slow things down because there's too much action going on at once.

The ATB system is really a kind of real-time combat system, although because your characters don't move around in Final Fantasy games it doesn't require much in the way of reflexes.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Nothing new really, but a Tim Cain interview is always a nice touch... :)

Edit :
In fact i detected possibly new elements in Cain's fnal answer, but my vocabulary fails me. Concerns quests and side mission structure apparently. Anybody care to help ?

Ramireza

Savant

Duraframe300

Arcane
Well first off, they mention that Obsidian doesn't rule out other gernes for the setting as well in the long term. As Sawyer puts it, they want to create a world where several types of games can work in.

Which isn't that surprising considering we know about P&P and Comics or whatever. But still, game gernes seems new. PE: Dark Alliance incoming?

Hormalakh

Magister

Duraframe300

Arcane
They are working on possible new formations. An example is given, but they didn't really go into detail, just mentioned that the distance between fighters and mages was bigger than usual.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Josh Sawyer and Tim Cain both complain about D&D as a crpg and josh said, that their own system allows them to use a bigger number range than D&D (Obviously)

Duraframe300

Arcane
Standard difficulty is based on Icewind Dale 1. Which is news to me, I thought it was IWD 2, but then again maybe I'm misremembering.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Anything interesting in here, Kodex Krauts?

For me it was worth the read, but i am just a codex n00b with only 27 posts :(

I'm sorry. What I meant by that was, "Please post the most interesting things from that preview in this thread, translated to English." :)

- sawyer wants to create sequels that are not neccessarily RPGs but use the same setting, he wants "to create a world where many games can happen"
- 6 races 11 classes
- 8 henchmen
- 6char party
- end level will be 8 or 9, max is lvl 12 (will be raised in sequels)
- you'll be able to import your party from P:E into the sequel (IF there is a sequel...)
- brennecke is building some kind of CoH2 like "TrueSight" system into P:E
- o:e tries to make 3d unity look like 2d IE
- formations
- RTwP
- build in "turn the whole game into a quick time event" mode
- 3d shenigans (lightening, shadows etc 2013 standard)
- publishers are shit! -- brennecke 2013
- currently working on content
- obsidian doing 2 own homebrewed classes (cipher, chanter), rest is standard d&d fare
- chanter = bard that can combo songs
- cypher = dots
- cyphers always need another guy to anchor their stuff - sawyer
- cyphers also need special ressource: "focus"
- game shouldn't be too hard, we're aiming at IW1 for normal, BG2/IW2 for hard - sawyer
- highest difficulty is called "path of the dammned"
- there will be an "expert mode", disabling some elements of the UI
- and then there's "trial of iron", an iron man mode
- lips are shut regarding story
- O:E takes place in the "southern coastal region" Drywood
- character will get entangled in some supernatural event and that will cause big trouble - sawyer 2013
- reincarnation is "standard stuff" in this world
- obsidian really likes dialogue trees (see, IE)
- choices & consequences
- actions during dialogues depending on your attributes are in (re: torment)
- NO VOICE ACTING!!!!!!!
- character dependent side quests are in, scope unclear
- emotional engagement is in (if it makes sense)
- EMOTIONAL ENGAGEMENT SHOULDNT BE AWKWARD LIKE IN OTHER GAEMS - SAWYER 2013
- being good or evil is your decision...
- ... but sawyer doesnt like good and evil
- early 2014 release realistic - brennecke 2013
- and if not kickstarters wont be troubled, unlike those evil publishers - brennecke 2013
- longterm plans? one big world spanning several games, classic d&d style, trilogy somewhat planned, sawyer wants you to feel that there's more than just P:E
- all games RPGs? sawyer wants to establish a 20-40 midprice RPG market
- kickstarter, second edition? hopefully not - sawyer 2013
- tim cain really loves working for ks backers cause he doesnt have to write reports to publishers
- we're making a modern game - tim cain 2013

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom