Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Purple/Pink in P:E setting
Hello everyone,

I know I am boring that I bother with such trivial topic but it really bothers me and I would like to know if I am idiot or anyone else feels same on this topic as me. I generaly doesnt have anything against purple/pink colors but in recent years and games developed I seen raising popularity for this colors and I have to say its not my cup of the tea. Whenever I see it I imediately connect it to cartoon art style. We actually didnt seen it used anywhere in game but we have few artworks which use it extensively.

I would like to hear your opinions on that subject

Branm

Learned
Purple/Pink in P:E setting
Hello everyone,

I know I am boring that I bother with such trivial topic but it really bothers me and I would like to know if I am idiot or anyone else feels same on this topic as me. I generaly doesnt have anything against purple/pink colors but in recent years and games developed I seen raising popularity for this colors and I have to say its not my cup of the tea. Whenever I see it I imediately connect it to cartoon art style. We actually didnt seen it used anywhere in game but we have few artworks which use it extensively.

I would like to hear your opinions on that subject

Firstworld Problems!!!

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
wfot.png

Brofist farming my way to Learned ... nearly there

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ My thoughts exactly. For all the joy I feel that Sawyer focuses on mechanics, I can't help but notice that he doesn't seem to know how easy using stuff was in the IE-games. All this micromanagement is stacking up to be quite worrysome :?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
which ones ?

I believe the aim is slightly more required player inputs, though I believe you can build classes as passive as you want.

Fighter seems pretty much the same except not the highest DPS and the Melee Engagement system thingo (which may end up being cut)

Rogue kinda seems like a bit of an MMO/4E style rogue, get flanking bonus, hit like a bus

Paladin, hit stuff and nearby party members get bonuses

Wizard - same old same old, except probably with an auto attack/at-will (using a wand/staff etc) and Familiar somehow worked into combat. Josh said that Wizards do not require a new input every 6 seconds.

Ranger - auto attack from range, micro your animal companion

Monk - I think some people said that some of the mechanics are very similar to World of Warcraft, seems a bit more micro intensive than D&D monks

Priest - haven't heard too much about them yet

Cipher - very limited info but sounds like it will be moderate to high micro-management (in RPG terms anyway)

Barbarian - also pretty limited info but seems like they'll be fairly passive, auto attack stuff for cleave damage

Chanter - seems like you'll be able to build ranged or melee, don't know about spell casting (probably isn't any except through talents), auto attack stuff and switch chants

Druid - not really sure yet, but you'll be able to cast spells in spiritshift form.

My only worry is that combat won't be that lethal from fight to fight, it'll be like moderate encounters and then the risk will come from how many encounters you do in a row. Hopefully if you play a moderate encounter poorly you'll run the risk of having party members get dropT.

Sensuki

Arcane
Josh said if it doesn't end up working (ie. they implement it, it sucks, and after multiple tries it still sucks) they'll cut it. But that goes for a lot of stuff.

I can potentially see it being a really fucking annoying feature, but hopefully the paper design is good and Steve Weatherly codes it well.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Josh said if it doesn't end up working (ie. they implement it, it sucks, and after multiple tries it still sucks) they'll cut it. But that goes for a lot of stuff.

Oh. Well, that's true for everything.

Wizfall

Cipher
I love BG2 but don't understand how it can be playable without becoming a mess with more than 4 characters.
Never had more than 4, moreover one of them was a wizard i almost never used for anything, 2 were pure fighters that did not need any micro managing and the last one my fighter/thief/mage.
It wasn't a problem at all though as the game was easy.
I'm very curious about how PE will manage the RTwP combat, a big improvement hinted before would be the possibility to maintain and move formation with zone of control so you could protect some of your characters. Would be great if it was coupled with formation command to easily switch between formation and switch character position in the formation.
That would help a lot to simplify the micro management thing.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
With all the tinkering needed to build a "good" rtwp system, hasn't been done yet in my opinion, it's a wonder why most crpg developers don't go with turned based, it would cut don't on most of the problems and add a whole bunch of features that would make combat more interesting.

Cipher
^ My thoughts exactly. For all the joy I feel that Sawyer focuses on mechanics, I can't help but notice that he doesn't seem to know how easy using stuff was in the IE-games. All this micromanagement is stacking up to be quite worrysome :?

Fighters and rogues were very dull in the IE games. Use a special ability, if you're lucky, and sic them on the monsters. Then watch them run around in a clusterfuck unburdened by flanking tactics or by penalties for positioning or for turning your back. I'm excited about JOSH's proposed mechanics.

Xeon

Augur
I watched Growlanser 2 or 3 a few days ago on Twitch. Does the combat in that game considered slow motion or turned based?

Edit:
You can walk freely on the map until someone needs to take action and timer for each action.

2nd Edit:
nvm, just watched a video of the combat on youtube and it looks turned based. Timer stops when giving orders.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
On the contrary I never found BG2 too chaotic and it was probably the most fun I've had with combat in any RPG.

BG2 combat was pretty basic and most encounters were incredibly easy and exploitable. Compare it with the encounters in ToEE and it's clear fights in the later are more fun, with more options and with greater difficulty.

I guess it's down to preference, both sides have their arguments, personally i will always prefer TB.

Hormalakh

Magister
I'm hoping for it to be like Starcraft + pause. For those who can play at real-time, they should be able to (with hotkeys and everything) and for the rest they should be able to slow down and pause as needed to give inputs to their players.

most of those rts's you control more than 6 groups of armies and you can give them different actions. i'm excited to see how this works. I just hope they make managing these characters easy by using hotkeys!

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Strategy informer interview with Chris Avellone.

Strategy Informer: For me personally, even though I’m an old-school gamer I never really got into the Infinity Engine RPGs at the time for numerous reasons, such as not getting on with the interface or the frankly unforgiving level of difficulty.

Chris Avellone: Yeah, they can be pretty brutal, especially with some of the boss and mage battles that occur in Baldur’s Gate.

J0gaiTy.gif

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Compare it with the encounters in ToEE and it's clear fights in the later are more fun, with more options and with greater difficulty.
I disagree. :M

There's much less variety in ToEE as long as one understands AOOs.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Strategy informer interview with Chris Avellone.

Strategy Informer: For me personally, even though I’m an old-school gamer I never really got into the Infinity Engine RPGs at the time for numerous reasons, such as not getting on with the interface or the frankly unforgiving level of difficulty.

Chris Avellone: Yeah, they can be pretty brutal, especially with some of the boss and mage battles that occur in Baldur’s Gate.

HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

That's why Avellone should focus on writing and stay away from gameplay (or at least from all that concerns difficulty). That's not news by the way, so no need to act surprised...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom