Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Rake

Arcane
:lol:
Long live the King God Emperor!

He is right about Arcanum though, the interface WAS terrible. Fallout i can understand where he comes from(same place as Infinitron) but i forgive it because i like it aestheticaly. Fuck functionality)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What quests has he been on? He's only barely started the first town.

[Chris] I don't mind the dialogue wheel, it works, and also I think it works better with the controller in some fashion, in terms of choosing options, it's a lot easier to get to certain subjects based on the thumbstick when you have a radial like that. The two issues you have with that are, if you spell out the entire line, and then it shows it, and they say it, that sort of wastes player time, but then when you have just the topic points that you're choosing, and then the player says something in relation to the topic, you have the issue like what you were talking about, and then it's not exactly like you imagined that topic being asked about but I think that's a much lesser evil than doing the "I read the whole line, I hit the button, I say the line", I just get tired, I just get exhausted.
I enjoyed Bioshock Infinite
:yeah:

Starym

Educated
It's a fair point though, when speaking of fully voiced games. DAO's silent protagonist implementation worked for me, if you really have to have a fully voiced game.
Luckily he won't have to worry about that in Torment and PE.

Looks like Obsidian really needs those AAA Publisher contract work...
MCA is basically praising popamole design and justifying how the dialogue wheel forces players to hear the AWESOME voice acting (no doubt it contributes to EMOTIONAL ENGAGEMENT).
I enjoyed his previous works (Fallout 2, PST and MOTB), but if a decade or so down the line he slowly spirals like Lord British... well fuck.

Hopefully though its just fishing for AAA contracts to keep the studio employed, and it wont affect the cRPG KS projects...

Rake

Arcane
MCA is basically praising popamole design and justifying how the dialogue wheel forces players to hear the AWESOME voice acting (no doubt it contributes to EMOTIONAL ENGAGEMENT).
I enjoyed his previous works (Fallout 2, PST and MOTB), but if a decade or so down the line he slowly spirals like Lord British... well fuck.

Hopefully though its just fishing for AAA contracts to keep the studio employed, and it wont affect the cRPG KS projects...
It's that. Obsidian cannot afford to condemn modern games and publisers like Fargo did,at least not yet. They are too big.
In the previous interview Avellone said that he would like Obsidian to come to a point to be working on 3-4 PE style games at the same time,some kickstarted and some not, because that was Black Isle.
If they manage to come to that point, then they could be more picky with publisers and negociate their contracts at their own terms, because they will not need to take them. Until then, they will continiue the fishing for publisers to stay in buisness.

It's that. Obsidian cannot afford to condemn modern games and publisers like Fargo did,at least not yet. They are too big.
In the previous interview Avellone said that he would like Obsidian to come to a point to be working on 3-4 PE style games at the same time,some kickstarted and some not, because that was Black Isle.
If they manage to come to that point, then they could be more picky with publisers and negociate their contracts at their own terms, because they will not need to take them. Until then, they will continiue the fishing for publisers to stay in buisness.

Well maybe not. First let's see if his Wasteland 2 area design is any good

I sincerely hope that MCA keeps popamole corridors (and other influences) separate from his KS project(s) design work, and no bastardization like Dark Alliance...

dunno lah

Arcane
Well maybe not. First let's see if his Wasteland 2 area design is any good

Sort of unrelated, but related question? :
MCA designed the EPA area for FO2 right? And from what I've read about FO2 RP, EPA is kinda shit. What I mean is since Chris' EPA didn't make the final cut, wouldn't he be most likely basing the Agricultural Center on his previous work?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
:hmmm:

(I didn't notice anything in the AgCenter design doc that bore anything more than an incidental resemblance to EPA, so no)

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It was twilight. In an ancient copse of oak, flickering golden light danced through the doorway of a small sandstone edifice. Within, a figure knelt at the foot of a shrine, her shadow nodding and wavering at the whim of dozens of candles.

Presently, a man entered. He took several tentative steps across the threshold, then paused, wringing his hands in apparent nervousness. The kneeling figure stood, turned to face him, and smiled. Extending her hand to him, she said softly, "You have nothing to fear. You belong here now. You're home."

A brief smile played at his lips, ephemerally, but vanished almost as soon as it appeared. A slight frown and a furrowed brow took its place. "What will the others think, if they see me here with you? What of my reputation?" he worried.

"What they think is of no consequence," she chided. "Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. Besides, you already have more than enough to please Him. Have you brought them?"

"Yes, over 11,000 of them," he replied. Unslinging a leather satchel from his shoulder, he unfastened the flap to show her its contents. Inside, small golden coins bearing the inscription RPG CODEX • ONE BROFIST • IN PROSPER WE TRUST glittered brilliantly in the candlelight.

"Place them in there," she directed, indicating a large silver vessel situated at the base of the shrine, nestled amongst bunches of lilacs, sage, and other offerings. He did as she instructed, carefully tilting the satchel and watching as the cascading treasure filled up the offering bowl. He cast the empty satchel aside.

"Now pray with me," she intoned, kneeling once again at the foot of the shrine. The man followed her lead, closed his eyes, and on impulse reached out to touch the dedication plaque on the shrine's altar. He could make out an "s," an "a," a "w"; by the time he finished tracing his fingers over "y," "e," and "r," tears were running freely down his cheeks.

And so Infinitron and Roguey began their vigil of player.

MCA
That's some serious decline coming from MCA but The Codex is all about diversity, so if it's a wheel he likes, then a wheel he shall get:

lsUBJpJ.jpg

7kCPkLi.png

21TGozN.jpg

55EqrhM.jpg

Bxzxg16.jpg

AGtusNj.jpg

Ny3aHKe.jpg
KbIBo79.jpg

CK5xJ66.gif
VN75lqC.png

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
We already knew that based on the Crafting and Stealth skills and previous SA posts. Every skill will have something like "increased potion duration", "lower reload time" etc etc

He doesn't say whether there will be a skill like Tumble or whatever though, so D&D 3E style combat skills are not confirmed.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He doesn't say whether there will be a skill like Tumble or whatever though.

The equivalent of Tumble would be a skill that lets you escape melee engagement lock with a reduced damage penalty. Josh doesn't seem like the type who would let you escape it without taking any damage at all, except maybe as a high level class-specific ability.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
He doesn't say whether there will be a skill like Tumble or whatever though.

The equivalent of Tumble would be a skill that lets you escape melee engagement lock with a reduced damage penalty. Josh doesn't seem like the type who would let you escape it without taking any damage at all, except maybe as a high level class-specific ability.

The rogue has an Escape skill which is essentially the equivalent of Tumble. I do not think that there will be a skill that grants (essentially) the same thing to every character. Wizards also won't have an Invisibility spell or a Knock spell, because Josh Sawyer believes that that is stepping on the Rogue's toes. There is a short term invisibility talent and perhaps there will be a talent that allows an escape-like thing, but not a skill.

That's just me though, I may be wrong.

edit: He says auxiliary combat bonuses, what is Tumble used for outside of combat in a CRPG ? My NWN memory isn't the best, I've only played both games once (finished NWN1 and gave up on NWN2 about 95% of the way in due to cbf).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom