Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Cynic

Arcane
Somebody embed the fucking images or upload to imgur I can't see them on iFag

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
let's party with google translate:

If there is a successor later, you can import the entire veteran party of the first part, the difficulty of continuing adapts accordingly to the higher starting level.
The lead programmer Adam Brennecke orphaned rolls a chair in his office, so that we can sit down and look over his shoulder. Currently, he tinkers on the fog-of-war routines, because depending on the position of Party members will change the visibility. It is one of the many modifications that programmed obsidian crafted for the Unity engine.
For the next trial, the team is working to integrate the eleven character classes, including their special abilities to level 5th
If you ask team members about their favorite classes, you can hear as a response usually "Cipher" or "chanter".
My favorite:
With so many old-school ingredients in Eternity Project raises the question of the difficulty: Should be similar to the crisp still a decade or meet modern needs gentleness? Both, Josh Sawyer says something like: "We want the tactical battles are challenging but not frustrating. The default difficulty level will not be as tough as it was in Icewind Dale 2, but rather at the level of its predecessors are. If that is still too much, you can go down a level and have it easier. Are you going the other hand, from the default setting of a step up, then you enter the Schwierigkeitsgefilde of Baldur's Gate 2 or Icewind Dale 2 "
Can't wait to enter the Schwierigkeitsgefilde.

Sawyer interview:
What are your long-term plans Eternity?

Josh Sawyer: We would like to develop a world that is rich and rich enough that you can experience a story in it, which is constantly being expanded across several games. So in the traditional D & D style where you start with relatively manageable problems and is then involved in more and more events. We could only times develop a trilogy, which takes place at a venue and then think about games in other parts of the world, of which you've probably heard before in the game. We want to give people the feeling that there is more beyond Eternity Project, we want to arouse a certain longing. Bethesda has made in this regard with the Elder Scrolls series really good job: You move through their world and collect all these information and details about other places, and then you visit another region in each game.

Gamestar: Are future titles that play in this world, always be traditional role playing? Or you can also imagine other genre detour?

Josh Sawyer: Probably not, our studio really focuses on role playing games. From the beginning we have designed in the style of Project Eternity Infinity Engine games. If it should ever make sense to locate a different genre in a different part of the world, but I would not object in principle. But our company is always trying to incorporate some role-playing elements, whether the systems are now character or branching decisions.

Gamestar: In addition to Project Eternity and other old-school role-playing games have been funded by Kickstarter. Threatens sometime over saturation?

Josh Sawyer: A few projects have already sensed that not every RPG Kickstarter is successful. Some even started until after our call for Project Eternity and you've heard from some fans that they just only have limited money to financially support these games. But I'm not worried, because all these titles fill a vacuum. I do not think that's why the really big RPG will disappear. I hope that we can establish a mid-core games market in the price range between 20 and 40 dollars to allow a wider range of development in the genre. Clear Obsidian will continue to try to develop AAA games for the next generation. But at the same time it's really great that our studio is able to tackle smaller projects.

Gamestar: Would you own at your next game, the fans once again ask for an advance?

Josh Sawyer: Whether we would gather again for a sequel Eternity money on Kickstarter, is still unclear. It would be great if we could fund future projects yourself. For games of this magnitude are great for independent studios like us - and there are in North America, so not as many.

Tim Cain interview:
Coming full circle: after fallout over 15 years are you working again an isometric RPG.

Tim Cain: Kickstarter gives fans give the opportunity to say: "This is what I want to play" Normally, the publisher, to predict what will have the customers in two years of trying, the industry gets into a rut - and suddenly! there are lots of shooter. Not everyone wants to play role playing from a first person perspective. The isometric style was forgotten, like modern engines can display this type of graphic fine.

Gamestar: What changes, if one does not work for another company, but for tens of thousands of players?

Tim Cain: I like it because we do not need to send reports to a publisher, who then possibly something cracked brain responds. So we publish every week a blog update that people look at very closely. You will find things they love, hate or misunderstand sometimes. When a publisher you normally a particular person that you can call to explain what is meant when an update - with thousands of people, communication is more difficult.

Gamestar: How much room for innovation makes you this tribute to classic role-playing?

Tim Cain: Even if many elements are recognizable, let's do a modern game. Beyond the four standard types we have come up a lot in our classes. We have no weapons or armor restrictions for the classes, and that was indeed such an old D & D hurdle, where a magician, a long sword did not want to touch it. Players will be greater freedom like and try all possible character combinations. Compared to before, we have also more memory so more game systems can engage with each other. And we develop a game whose main focus is on the quests: We plant a plot line in the form of missions in this big world, but there are also side quests to discover.

Duraframe300

Arcane
We already translated the new info in the article a few weeks ago.

Only the concept art is new.

(Actually a month ago)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
We already translated the new info in the article a few weeks ago.

Only the concept art is new.

(Actually a month ago)
oh, I thought it was new since it was brought up now.
oh well, copy-pasting from google translate hardly takes any effort. also, I hadn't read it before :D

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Somebody embed the fucking images or upload to imgur I can't see them on iFag

bigimage.jpg

The others are too big to embed.

Shadenuat

Arcane
These locations have great BG1 feel to them, huge green plains and forests, ruins, rivers and waterfalls, good to finally break away from city adventures and choking linear levels. Now hope they'll put enough content and encounters there.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey, it's Tim Cain talking, he knows all about quests carrying the gameplay. :smug:

Rake

Arcane
Yeah, fuck games where the main focus is on quests and combat. Combat is for noobs.

Since Sawyer has said time after time that PE will be a combat game, i don't know why you are bitching. In your place i would worry more about games that follow the Fallout/Arcanum model...like W2 :smug:

imweasel

Yeah, fuck games where the main focus is on quests and combat. Combat is for noobs.

Since Sawyer has said time after time that PE will be a combat game, i don't know why you are bitching. In your place i would worry more about games that follow the Fallout/Arcanum model...like W2 :smug:
Except that combat is not necessary. In most cases at least. Sawyer said this many times FYI.

Why should I be worried about W2? It looks great. (Other than the ugly HUD, but that can still be fixed)

Arkeus

Arcane
Except that combat is not necessary. In most cases at least. Sawyer said this many times FYI.

Why should I be worried about W2? It looks great. (Other than the ugly HUD, but that can still be fixed)
Huh, Sawyer said the opposite- that you couldn't bypass combat in almost all the cases.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom