Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Rake

Arcane
Yeah, fuck games where the main focus is on quests and combat. Combat is for noobs.

Since Sawyer has said time after time that PE will be a combat game, i don't know why you are bitching. In your place i would worry more about games that follow the Fallout/Arcanum model...like W2 :smug:
Except that combat is not necessary. In most cases at least. Sawyer said this many times FYI.

Why should I be worried about W2? It looks great. (Other than the ugly HUD, but that can still be fixed)
W2 looks great. But combat will be more importand in PE than in W2, and i excpect combat to be better in PE than W2.

imweasel

Except that combat is not necessary. In most cases at least. Sawyer said this many times FYI.

Why should I be worried about W2? It looks great. (Other than the ugly HUD, but that can still be fixed)
Huh, Sawyer said the opposite- that you couldn't bypass combat in almost all the cases.
You can avoid most combat situations by using stealth. There are quite a few threads about this on Obsidian's forums, even Sawyer replied in some before the bitching really took off.

But maybe Sawyer realized that it was a bullshit idea after all and dropped it. Haven't heard anything about that though.

But combat will be more importand in PE than in W2
Nope. Not unless W2 has more elaborate stealth features than PE will have.

and i excpect combat to be better in PE than W2.
Doubt that very much I do. I bet Shadowrun, Wasteland 2, Original Sin and even Double Fine Adventure :obviously: will have better combat than PE.

Starym

Educated
Being the resident new guy in this thread I don't particularly understand why anyone addresses or interacts with imweasel, I mean he either has no point, makes shit up or simply reposts other people that dislike something about the game (but actually have a point). I mean I'm all for criticism but at least think for 2 seconds before you post retarded shit like "whelp, combat isn't the focus of the game cos you can skip it if you make a party of 6 rogues/rangers".

imweasel

:troll:

(Is that how it works Jaesun?)

Being the resident new guy in this thread I don't particularly understand why anyone addresses or interacts with imweasel, I mean he either has no point, makes shit up or simply reposts other people that dislike something about the game (but actually have a point). I mean I'm all for criticism but at least think for 2 seconds before you post retarded shit like "whelp, combat isn't the focus of the game cos you can skip it if you make a party of 6 rogues/rangers".
Stealth is a classless talent in PE. Sawyer is doing a good enough job of destroying his own game, I really don't have to make anything up. :obviously:
Thank you very much for interacting with me. :bounce: Oh, and up your pledge while you can for Shadowrun, Wasteland 2 and Divinity: Original Sin. They deserve it.

DraQ

Arcane
D&D dragons are just awesome. It's great how they all have different kinds of traits and personalities, some more intelligent than the others.
One thing I hate about D&D (well, FR at least) dragons is that they are colour coded for players' convenience.

"Oh, look, it's a black dragon so it's chaotic evil!!!1"

I bet that if I replaced "dragon" with "human" in the above sequence a lot of people would be up in arms.
:troll:

So that means the Dragon proper have no real desire to protect their young/hide them...

rope kid said:
They usually lay eggs when they are still drakes, which makes them (and the eggs/wurms) very vulnerable

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...rid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=450#post417323282
I think that makes little sense - if they are mostly post reproductive and don't do anything to help the younger, the adult dragons serve no "purpose" evolutionarily speaking. Yes, I'm aware that a fantasy universe might not necessarily have its species arise through evolution but it still feels awkward and sloppy.
Now, if only the full grown dragons would reproduce, either in small volumes and caring about offspring or in large volumes, but leaving the offspring on its own, or if full grown dragons would be post reproductive but act as protectors for younger forms (like Niven's Paks), then it would make sense.
Not really caring about droves of sub-sapient offspring would also not necessarily make them "nasty" in terms of personality, just different from humans.

2dgj1xt.jpg
Except class based gear restrictions are one of the dumbest things ever. Comparable only to level based gear restrictions and egregious level scaling.

Mage should generally avoid rushing in with sword in hand not because he can't hold that sword, but because it would reduce him to a very shitty warrior.
Still for a situations when you really wish your mage was a warrior, even excessively shitty one, mage should be able to take up a sword and try to stab someone in the face with it because swords have fucking hilts that are designed to be grabbed and operated by generic humanoid, they don't rely on some proprietary, warrior exclusive interface.

Ignatius Reilly

Scholar
So am I hearing this right? The entire game is playable with a party of stealth wizards who dual wield great swords? Damn, can't believe I backed this.

Arkeus

Arcane
So am I hearing this right? The entire game is playable with a party of stealth wizards who dual wield great swords? Damn, can't believe I backed this.
Not sure it's POSSIBLE to dual-wield great swords.

And yes, it's possible, the same way it's possible to play a entire party of thief/wizard/warrior in BG.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Josh Sawyer interview from 2004: http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=7141

Where do you see computer RPGs going?

Straight to hell. There are very few companies making high-profile PC RPGs these days. Troika is one of the last pure PC RPG developer in the U.S. that I can think of. European companies seem to be one of the only bastions of hope. There are exceptions, of course, but I just don’t see a lot of buzz for anything new these days. I predict that we may go through another dry spell, followed by a new wave once someone realizes that no one is making any high-profile PC RPGs.

Heh.

hiver

WOW!! AAAGHH!! AAAAHHH! SAAWWYEEEE...

oh wait... xp points are limited... i have to spend them on skills i mean to use...

/

codex... you so dumb...

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I can't believe I didn't! It sounds hilarious! I just hope they make those wizards able to hold a third sword with their teeth!:kingcomrade:

The problem with westernized magic users is that they are often view as wimpy non physical types, when in reality wizards and in the case bellow sorcererersrers, are supposed to be awesome instruments of mammary gravity defying spectacle .

86736b978d7d10754cca8f66f8fdbdc51307550514_full.gif

a8rsoh.gif

Dragon Crown can't come soon enough.

imweasel

Except class based gear restrictions are one of the dumbest things ever.
Ok, mages should be able to wield two-handed great swords. Maybe warriors should also be able to cast mage spells. How about if you have your mages all wear full plate armor and have the warriors cast stone skin on themselves?

Hmmm. Sounds a lot like Skyrim actually.

Mage should generally avoid rushing in with sword in hand not because he can't hold that sword, but because it would reduce him to a very shitty warrior.
Still for a situations when you really wish your mage was a warrior, even excessively shitty one, mage should be able to take up a sword and try to stab someone in the face with it because swords have fucking hilts that are designed to be grabbed and operated by generic humanoid, they don't rely on some proprietary, warrior exclusive interface.
Why? Because a mage can do more damage with great sword, that he can hardly lift, than with a dagger? That would mean that the game doesn't need any daggers at all then, because bigger is always better under any circumstance.

Still, I get where you are coming from, but a scrawny little motherfucker like a mage does not carry a great sword and full plate mail around with him "just in case he needs it". If a mage needs to do more weapon damage, then he casts "flame blade". If he needs armor, then he casts "stone skin". He's a mage after all - and this is a class based game. I emphasize class based.

If a mage still needs to stab a goblin in the pecker as a last resort because he ran out of magicks, then he uses a dagger or some other small and light-weight weapon. And even if it is possible for a mage to wield a 20 kg two-handed great sword for whatever fucktarded reason, then the mage should constantly critically fail with it, which makes it an extremely unwise choice.

imweasel

Goddamn you are retarded, experiment playing something other than derivative CRPGs in your life

Not that PE is much different but goddamn
I see you can't grasp the concept of class-based.

If you want your mages to wield fucking great swords then choose the battle mage class you retard.

a 20 kg two-handed great sword
The fuck is this, Cloud's sword?
Yeah, 20 kg is too much. 5 or 6 kg is correct.

Still heavy as fuck with leverage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom