Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

hiver

Thats what playing a fighter mage was always supposed to be.

Its much more then just being a mage that wields swords in a shitty way.
And disregarding some dumbasses whose brains are only capable to think in bethesda - DnD binaries, due to life long exposure to decline deposits that degenerated their brains... a fighter mage is a whole other mess to deal with.

Its not supposed to be about a "dual class" of some sort, but a different kind of specialization, where combinations and mixes of skills create your own personal gestalt tactics and abilities.

Zeriel

Arcane
BG1 was harder than BG2. Not sure what they're smoking to make that comparison.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's about specializations, not restrictions. Do what you want, but others might be better than you.

That's actually more dangerous to the player, since trying to advance a character in a role he's not suited for might end up permanently gimping him. With restrictions, you never face that danger.

This. I think players should be encouraged to actually construct their own PC. Of course diverting skill selections to crazy stuff will risk gimping your character, I don't understand what's the fuss. A wizard wielding a two-handed sword must be lagging behind badly in metamagic skills.

Sadly however on this subject, Obsidian chose to separate combat and non-combat skills, forcing players into certain ways of building their character.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
BG1 had some crap like greater basilisks, suddenly spawning near your group, stone blocks with instant killing, 15 minute long charms. Was very harsh on players, compared to BG2, where even wizards had enough hp to deal with early-to-med encounter.

Rake

Arcane
Obsidian said they will have classes-Codex goes crazy"WHY??? I want my Arcanum back. I want the ability to create my own char to fit my own playstyle!!! Where is mah choice???"
Obsidian says there will be options to built your character in ways that blur the line between classes to create your own char to fit your own playstyle,-Codex goes crazy"NO!!! I want character restrictions! I want clear pre determined paths for my characters so there in no overlap between them!!!!"
Buisness as usual:lol:

Anything worth noting?

You can disregard the entire thread until beta and not miss much of anything.

Good to know. I hope Infinitron makes a news post when the beta is out. Till then I guess i will ignore this aspie haven.

This is what I meant...
Obsidian said they will have classes-Codex goes crazy"WHY??? I want my Arcanum back. I want the ability to create my own char to fit my own playstyle!!! Where is mah choice???"
Obsidian says there will be options to built your character in ways that blur the line between classes to create your own char to fit your own playstyle,-Codex goes crazy"NO!!! I want character restrictions! I want clear pre determined paths for my characters so there in no overlap between them!!!!"

Logic_error

Self-Ejected

You do not make a party in Arcanum by yourself. This is an extremely important point. Also, if you 'multiclass' too much in Arcanum and not take osme of the broken spells/skills you surely gimp yourself.

Rake

Arcane
That's a game balance problem and not an inherent flaw/advantage of the classless system.
Also you won't be bulding a party by yourself in PE. You will create ONE character. You will have the ability to tinker with your party members, but we don't know to how much extent.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
That's a game balance problem and not an inherent flaw/advantage of the classless system.
Also you won't be bulding a party by yourself in PE. You will create ONE character. You will have the ability to tinker with your party members, but we don't know to how much extent.
It's been confirmed that there will be an option to create your own party instead of relying on followers.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's actually more dangerous to the player, since trying to advance a character in a role he's not suited for might end up permanently gimping him.

How very un-Sawyerian
One word - respec. :smug:

It's been confirmed that there will be an option to create your own party instead of relying on followers.

Yes, but it's just that - an option. Balance-wise, the game can't rely on the player using that option. It has to be playable with NPC followers alone. Since there are only eight of them and the party size is six...yeah.

Rake

Arcane
^ That. The same as BG 2 was balanced for the party members. If you build your own party, you have an OP party. And since the number of companions will be closer to Torment...
The game won't be balanced around the option to create your own party, the same as it won't be balanced around soloing the game. Yes, you will have that options, but that doesn't mean that they are the default/correct way to play the game.

Zeriel

Arcane
BG1 had some crap like greater basilisks, suddenly spawning near your group, stone blocks with instant killing, 15 minute long charms. Was very harsh on players, compared to BG2, where even wizards had enough hp to deal with early-to-med encounter.

Plus just things like 2nd Edition D&D at low levels being utterly unforgiving and random autodeath without a GM's interference. BG2 was a matter of "welp, if you died, it's your own goddamn fault", whereas BG1 was much more likely to be, "Approach was fine, you died, reload and try again" in a lot of situations.

All things being equal, my opinion is that BG1 was a much more difficult game.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

None of the Basilisks in BG1 were random they were all hand placed. Sure you die the first time you encounter them (or lose a party member, but that's just BG) but on reload you come prepared. Potion of Mirror Eyes, Protection from Petrification etc.

Thief with Stealth/invis pots works well too.

Plus just things like 2nd Edition D&D at low levels being utterly unforgiving and random autodeath without a GM's interference. BG2 was a matter of "welp, if you died, it's your own goddamn fault", whereas BG1 was much more likely to be, "Approach was fine, you died, reload and try again" in a lot of situations.

All things being equal, my opinion is that BG1 was a much more difficult game.

Maybe on the first playthough, but oh god it's so easy after a few. It's quite rare to die/lose a companion.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Basilisks were just an example, at Dulrag's Tower once you enter some door you end up facing greater basilisk. Thing with Siren, where you initiate dialogue and have 2 options to answer - choose 1 - you die, choose 2 - you die. The idea is to approach with non-main char and then force Siren to resurrect fallen companion, who initiated the dialogue. But you you talk with main - instant game over. I can't remember such situations in BG2

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Basilisks were just an example, at Dulrag's Tower once you enter some door you end up facing greater basilisk. Thing with Siren, where you initiate dialogue and have 2 options to answer - choose 1 - you die, choose 2 - you die. The idea is to approach with non-main char and then force Siren to resurrect fallen companion, who initiated the dialogue. But you you talk with main - instant game over. I can't remember such situations in BG2

I miss all the fun stuff in older computer games, who would even put such encounters in a game nowadays?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's "LOL UR DEAD" difficulty and then there's "You need to know how to best use all of your many spells and abilities to overcome this challenge" difficulty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom