Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Arkadin

Arcane
media

Degenerate counterpoint detected. Parallel octaves between bass and soprano almost guaranteed.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Regular ammo should be infinite. I still remember when I played Icewind Dale, with a all ranged party, if I didn't wanted to return to the city after each dungeon level, I had to fill my inventory with rocks and arrows making inventory juggling really annoying. Project Eternity isn't a post apocalyptic RPG or have strong survival elements into it, so why waste time buying regular arrows?

Lhynn

Arcane
I dont want my motherfucking ammo generating itself out of thin air, i want to be able to buy it, i want to do inventory managment because i choose to bring ranged units and they need shit to throw at the enemy. I want there to be an item that solves that problem later on, because i love it when magic is magical instead of just another combat mechanic.
Fucks sake, you cant get any more popamole than what you guys are proposing.

Athelas

Arcane
Limited ammo obviously, and there should be a magical bow that creates energy arrows, the damage of which is based on your intelligence stat. :P Or a skill that gives you a chance to salvage arrows you've fired at your enemy.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I got curious after reading the class name as Serpent Archer, then I found this stupidity:

Serpent Arrow: As a move-equivalent action, a serpent archer may remove a Tiny snake from a container (similar to drawing an arrow or bolt from a quiver) and pull its body straight and stiff, suitable for firing from a bow (longbow, short bow, composite longbow, or composite shortbow) or crossbow (light or heavy). When fired from a bow in this manner, the snake deals normal damage for the bow. If the snake is a poisonous snake, it also injects the target with poison as if she had been bitten by the snake. After being fired in this manner, the snake is stunned for 1 round (normally falling to the ground at the feet of the target). Once the snake recovers, it continues to attack the target if the snake is of a size that would normally attack a creature of the target's size, otherwise it tries to leave the target's threatened area.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I've run out of ammo in IWD. Ranged enemies would only ever drop a few arrows.
You buy hundreds of them at a store. With the tweak pack I gave everyone 1000 arrows/bullets/bolts right away and only had to replenish now and then.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I got curious after reading the class name as Serpent Archer, then I found this stupidity:

Serpent Arrow: As a move-equivalent action, a serpent archer may remove a Tiny snake from a container (similar to drawing an arrow or bolt from a quiver) and pull its body straight and stiff, suitable for firing from a bow (longbow, short bow, composite longbow, or composite shortbow) or crossbow (light or heavy). When fired from a bow in this manner, the snake deals normal damage for the bow. If the snake is a poisonous snake, it also injects the target with poison as if she had been bitten by the snake. After being fired in this manner, the snake is stunned for 1 round (normally falling to the ground at the feet of the target). Once the snake recovers, it continues to attack the target if the snake is of a size that would normally attack a creature of the target's size, otherwise it tries to leave the target's threatened area.

Hey now, that's not cool.

vBlOGYB.gif

I dont want my motherfucking ammo generating itself out of thin air, i want to be able to buy it, i want to do inventory managment because i choose to bring ranged units and they need shit to throw at the enemy. I want there to be an item that solves that problem later on, because i love it when magic is magical instead of just another combat mechanic.
Fucks sake, you cant get any more popamole than what you guys are proposing.

Did you feel like a special immersed someone while clicking away at arrow icons in stores in the BG's? The entire purpose of basic ammo in the BG's was that it would never run out, so they made it free, weightless and in huge stacks; the reason was probably balancing: make it so that archers run out of ammo halfway through a dungeon and they either become useless or you have to pump points in close range weapons just in case. Both scenarios would make ranged characters worse than tanks and thus unbalance it.

The entire reasoning behind basic BG ammo leads to it being infinite, which it therefore was in practice. The only reason to not make it infinite is because someone doesn't find it immersion breaking to carry around a thousand free arrows after clicking a lot of times, yet finds it immersion breaking when the game does the clicking part for him.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
You buy hundreds of them at a store. With the tweak pack I gave everyone 1000 arrows/bullets/bolts right away and only had to replenish now and then.
Tweak pack being critical for that. In base game you can run out of arrows in bigger dungeons even when you use half of your inventory for storing them.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tweak pack being critical for that. In base game you can run out of arrows in bigger dungeons even when you use half of your inventory for storing them.
Then you get to enjoy the degeneracy of running back to the shop for more arrows. The only inconvenience is time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Then you get to enjoy the degeneracy of running back to the shop for more arrows. The only inconvenience is time.

This is the same thing as the "degeneracy" of running back to a rest spot when you run out of health.

There's nothing wrong with resource constraints, as long as they're meaningful and add something to the game. Limited ammunition can prevent players from using degenerate kiting tactics, for instance.

April

Educated

Which is why it shouldn't matter for gameplay if unlimited ammo is or isn't implemented.

The exception would be if the game is designed with re-spawning dungeons where you have to clear it in one try or face the consequences (tougher mercenary guards are hired or something).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

This is the same thing as the "degeneracy" of running back to a rest spot when you run out of health.

There's nothing wrong with resource constraints, as long as they're a meaningful challenge. Limited ammunition can prevent players from using degenerate kiting tactics.
Unnecessary because they're already addressed kiting through engagement plus needing to stand still to reload.

Plus Josh is not a fan of the backtracking http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60875-merged-cooldown-thread/page-16#entry1220128

Alsooooooo a thing to keep in mind is that you can just buy thousands of ammo and keep hundreds equipped and at the top of your pack and replenish it every time you get to a new rest spot. Sounds like pointless routine to me.

Last edited:

Lancehead

Liturgist
That question of backtracking is ironic considering it's raised only because the game doesn't allow to rest anywhere.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Exactly. He's already given up on "no backtracking" so I don't see how that's relevant.

Alsooooooo a thing to keep in mind is that you can just buy thousands of ammo and keep hundreds equipped and at the top of your pack and replenish it every time you get to a new rest spot. Sounds like pointless routine to me.

Set an upper limit on the amount of standard ammunition you can have, make it a non-standard item. Arrow mana. :smug:

Last edited:

April

Educated

Set an upper limit on the amount of standard ammunition you can have, make it a non-standard item. Arrow mana. :smug:

Introduce whetstones, each hit with a melee weapon reduces whetstone count by 1. Sword mana. +M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
And how do you decide this upper limit? Party members * x so that you're encouraged to have as few ranged characters as possible?

As I explained earlier ITT, it would be a per character resource rechargeable at selected rest areas.

Spells are a limited resource. Health is a limited resource. Why not arrows?

Yes, but health is for everyone, spells for spell casters, who's ammo for? How does the game decides which characters are "ranged"?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Yes, but health is for everyone, spells for spell casters, who's ammo for? How does the game decides which characters are "ranged"?

Don't see why it couldn't be all of them.

April As I showed you, the fanbase has already overwhelmingly rejected melee weapon durability. It's not coming back, for good or for ill.

That's why I said that the consequence of that approach would be that it'd be in your interest to have as few ranged characters as possible. Or don't you think that's an issue?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom