Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I like this update...
I like it a lot.

The real game for actual gamers and retard-mode for everyone else. Bayonetta had a similar thing: if you pick Easy or Very Easy everything is done in 1 button- even though it's actually a very complex game. But they wanted everyone to be able to finish the game, even the new generation of mouth-breathing video game weaklings with no skills.

I'm fine with that. Though I'd give them bro points if you can only get the TRUE ENDING in expert mode.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Heart of Fury mode... You mean the one they had immense stat-bloat on fucking goblins so you had to kite them in full plate magical armour? Yeah, that's sounds promising. Wake me up when they add extra layers of tactics, and improved AI.

The rest sounds ok, I guess.
Who is to say it isn't what they'll be doing?

I don't see them doing that frankly. That would require fundamentally different encounter design - and with resources spread so thin I feel this is beyond their reach. So it will be stat-bloat, I guess.

I like what they promise, but I don't see the way they can fulfill their promises with so limited time and money ($2.0 millon is not a lot).

Black

Arcane
No, seriously, all this optimism turns my tummy inside out. Nothing good can ever come from Codex happy thoughts.
Stop being happy.

Murk

Arcane
Branching character views are pretty much stapple of any novel. Multiple parallel plot threads are actually part of a definition of novel, at least in Poland.

The thing is that game is a different medium with it's own rules, strengths and limitations. If ou actually control the protagonist, you should, generally be limited to protagonist's knowledge (with a few permissible exceptions if they can't really affect your behaviour) and you should be limited to controlling this protagonist and at most his immediate allies in the same area if it's required by gameplay (party based cRPGs). Stennis or Henselt when they duke it out don't really fit such criteria.

I understand and agree with what you are saying. The only reason I even offer an alternate is in light of the fact the game is, first and foremost, a reference to the novels, and as such it will do things that are not completely in character to the game. The other reason is that the Witcher games are clearly heavy on the 'cinematic' feel of things, while heavily criticized for poor gameplay, and as such it makes sense that they would want to turn what could have been a cinematic into a piece of gameplay.

Anyway, my point is, the game HAS to pay homage to the books, and in order to do so it may deviate from what games and RPGs are generally like; more so if the character you are playing is already a persistent entity that has plenty of knowledge outside of player awareness. The first game was rife with dialogs that the player had absolutely no way of knowing, and characters that were old friends that could have been lost -- think of the first meeting with Zoltan Chivay outside the river in the outskirts of Vizima. I had no idea who he was the first time and I sided with the xenophobic humans. Geralt knew who he was, I did not -- such things are common in any game setting where the character predates the moment of player control.

EDIT: P:E update = awesome

Grimlorn

Arcane
MCA should put dialogue in the game to flirt with NPCs and everytime you do they reject you. They say they have a boyfriend, or they're gay, or you're not their type. Anyone with some sense will ignore those options while the romance crowd will choose them everytime and wonder why they can't get laid in the game.

The butthurt from that would be glorious.
Didn't New Vegas already do something like this with Veronica? Or am I remembering it wrong...
Maybe, but what I'm talking about is hitting on all of your companions or NPCs.
And when they turn you down they do it in a sort of insulting way. To make the romancetards feel like shit.
Ex: I........(they look like they are thinking for a moment) have a boyfriend.
I......(looks up for a second) I'm gay.
HELL NO! (looks disgusted you'd even ask)

And if you continued to try to romance your party members after they reject you, then they leave your party for being a creep.
:foreveralone: for those Biotards.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Josh Sawyer confirms and explains: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60...ur-23m-stretch-goal/page__st__40#entry1210571

Josh Sawyer said:
If you are turning on Expert Mode at the beginning of the game, you're permanently (for that game) setting all dials to 11. You don't need to do that, though. If you start a normal game, you can manually turn on/off the options of Expert Mode that you enjoy at any point in the game. If you want combat to be standard but you prefer having companion influence messages turned off, you can just select that feature (and/or other story/dialogue-based elements).

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60...ur-23m-stretch-goal/page__st__60#entry1210624

Josh Sawyer said:
When we talk about adding races, we mean as races that can be played as the main PC.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I play for the story http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60710-just-how-easy-will-easy-be/

I often go into games thinking I want the tactical challenge, hearing about the clever ways they've balanced difficulty to test players but as soon as I hit that first really difficult fight - not a boss fight, that's a fair challenge I'll do that a few times, I'm talking about that pack of bandits that should be a walkover - I'm turning down all the settings to get to the next piece of story. I can totally see the fun in doing the same battle fifty times until you've found a cunning strategy, but that is not for me.

"Wizards. Why do they wear dressing gowns and dunce caps?" :lol: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60690-wizards-why-do-the-wear-dressing-gowns-and-dunce-caps/

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Whiskeyjack73, on 26 September 2012 - 10:21 PM, said:
It isn't completely necessary, but it helps with the immersion I feel.

Sometimes I feel an immersion between my legs too. I tend to deal with it in a way more healthy than watching pixels in RPG.

Was this one of you? :D

:excellent:

Murk

Arcane
So... hadn't read the forum save for the update posts. Checked the forum.

Wish I hadn't checked the forum.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member

Because they are Fucking Awesome (TM), obviously

rom2684.jpg

Duraframe300

Arcane
Sawyer: Man of the Middle

To be clear: we're making a game in which story, setting (i.e. exploration of the setting), and tactical combat are emphasized in more-or-less equal measure. The options we're talking about are present so you can tune your particular flavor of gameplay elements, but we're not making a game for people who inherently dislike these gameplay elements.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Ah, thanks. Must there be a shortcut for each sentence now, can't keep up with all of them :roll:

Murk

Arcane
Makes sense why wizards dress like peacocks -- they command the powers of space, time, and everything in between and outside of those two existence-dictating things. Basically, they're cosmological pimps, and they dress as such to let the masses know how big their dicks are.

I did like Witcher-esque wizards tho who were not physically frail, cuz hey if you can summon angels to set off traps why the hell can't you just magick yourself some sick biceps bro.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom