Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Officialsky Witcherovda 2 Impressiovna Threadskaia

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
UserNamer said:
Mrowak said:
UserNamer said:
I don't get why humans hate non humans.Maybe it's just because when different races are forced to cohabit, hate starts and freely flows naturally, just like the real world.

:bravo:

You seem to be getting it now.

Sometimes cultural differences and forced cohabitation are enough for racism to roam freely. The fact that humans have relatively short life-spans and due to inadequate learning doesn't help to inhibit the tension. Most of humans are simpletons who cannot think rationally about their hate... and even if they do they are quick to use the antagonisms to propell their own agenda e.g. Loredo.

Note that most humans would wish the other races species simply vanished from their habitations.

The problem is, due to human expansion dwarves and elves have nowhere to run to.

Yes.

But if you think about the real life, what contributes toward xenophobia is the sheer difference between the cultures and how people act. Think how different and weird Italians and Irish looked to the American Citizen, for example. Or think about muslim in europe and their weird religious practices, like slaying goats or killing your adulterous daughter or chanting shit while praying in direction of the mecca 10 times a day during ramadan.

So I would have loved if the game managed to somehow convey to sense of weirdness and alienation when you explored nonhuman districts and what not, showing the non human behaving with distinct differences in respect to human, having weird rituals and what not.

Am I making myself clear? Even if you do not subscribe to niggerdeath ideals, you must be getting what I am saying in regard of the feeling of alienation you can get from a different culture, and that it would be cool if games would convey that.

But then maybe the tensions in the witcher 2 started just because human expansionism and nonhumans gettingfuckedintheassionism, so there is that too to consider.

Well, I think TW racism has advanced to the point there's really no difference between both sides. They just want to kill each other, I bet the novels showed how the racism heats up, boils, and eventually explodes.

The game just shows how the thing drags on and both sides not really caring what they were fighting for, except their own side must win the conflict.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Points for overcomplicating.

Elves have been driven from their homes by human expansion --> Elves starving, living as poor nomads or as minority in human cities (notice how minorities are automatically surpressed in non-democratic societies? If not, check the data.) --> Some elves take to warfare to improve their situation --> Families engagered by elves = I DON LAIK EVLES MUTHAFUCKA

Does it have to be more complicated than that? :?

The interesting points in the racism/clash of culture-angle in The Witcher aren't the origins of the struggle, it's the result and the blind stupidity of both sides in a situation where no one are right.

It's pretty much a mirror on the Israel/Palestine situation. No one's at fault, everyone's to blame.

RK47

Patron
....shit u gotta bring jews into this. in before 'who are the witcher jews?'

FatCat

Educated
It is human fault , they have gone all herp derp on elves and started a massacre.Moronic young elves gone to fight against humans , under some elf woman (i forgot her name) banner.While elder elves suggested that they should back down into the mountains and wait till all humans die out (they referred to humans as parasite type of plague).But ignorant proud young elves gone to fight by this completely sacrificing their future , as elves live for about 300-400 years , but they are fertile for a short time.

RK47

Patron
Whats the dwarf angle in this? I'm always confused on how dwarves came about. Are they related to elves or are they just getting dragged along due to their looks?

gothfox

Liturgist
RK47 said:
Whats the dwarf angle in this? I'm always confused on how dwarves came about. Are they related to elves or are they just getting dragged along due to their looks?

They lived on the continent the game and books take place before humans arrived. Hence, old races.

An elvish race lives in (and possibly originated from?) a parallel dimension, dwarves could have popped out of one too during one of the whatstheirnames of Spheres or whatever. I don't remember that being expanded upon in the books, though.

DraQ

Arcane
FatCat said:
Yarpen once said that dwarves ware original settlers of the continent , but then came thy elves and humans afterwards.
And gnomes were, IIRC, first inhabitants (possibly excluding non-humanoids and possible extinct races).

The sphere containing the main world in Witcher saga seems to have been bumping into others an awful lot.

pocahaunted

Arcane
Since I enjoyed the game and will be playing it again soon, I'll actually be buying a copy. Is the only option for getting a DRM-free version buying a digital copy? Hope not, since I don't feel like buying from GOG at all.

Don't even bother mentioning steam BTW.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
pocahaunted said:
Since I enjoyed the game and will be playing it again soon, I'll actually be buying a copy. Is the only option for getting a DRM-free version buying a digital copy? Hope not, since I don't feel like buying from GOG at all.

I think you can buy retail and then simply download patch 1.1 to remove the DRM. I don't know if you have to register to get it - I have the GOG version.

pocahaunted

Arcane
Mrowak said:
pocahaunted said:

I think you can buy retail and then simply download patch 1.1 to remove the DRM. I don't know if you have to register to get it - I have the GOG version.

Oh, yeah, I'm an idiot - completely forgot about the patch.

That's awesome, then. Cheers.

Seolas

Liturgist
Ending is a bit wank but they said all DLC will be free so is there a chance they might expand it (like Fallout 3 did) because there isn't much room for quests in the existing maps as every map seems well used by the existing quests.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'm still on act 2, but is the ending really that much shorter? I've heard from people that the only difference is that there are slightly fewer side-quests and that it's a "clear path" to the ending, rather than there being a bunch of additional bits and pieces in the way.

pocahaunted

Arcane
Yeah, the third chapter is pretty short. There aren't many side quests at all, just some random ass puzzles and a few ruins to explore, unfortunately. I was actually very surprised as I kept expecting to find a proper quest hub or something that would hinder progress in the main quest line, but it never happened.

I finished chapter 3 in one sitting. Although I failed all sidequests by progressing too much, I didn't expect to reach the point of no return that quickly.

RK47

Patron
pocahaunted said:

Pay GOG.com for TW2
Just reinstall your torrented copy and apply the Skidrow patch.
Then download the 1.1 International Patch for Activated Copy of Witcher 2.
That removes the DRM completely.

Mrowak

Arcane
They said they are looking for 'anti-corporation' PR and Marketing guy...

Are there any PR people like that?

Mrowak

Arcane
Well, the 1.2 patch for Twitcher 2 sounds promising.

I wonder how they will fix the 'container exploit' they spoke of. Simply remove all the contents? :retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom