Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Officialsky Witcherovda 2 Impressiovna Threadskaia

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
abija said:
Even assuming that's the case (that you could beat every encounter in starting gear with no points just by being an awesome and persistent roller), it doesn't change the fact that gear and skill points do affect your performance in a very significant way. Which happens to be exactly the point of it.
Well, shit, son, Quake must be an RPG then. Chaingun greatly increases my damage output. As for skills...

Ever played Jedi Knight? It's a shooter. Nobody (I hope) will confuse it with an RPG even though some of these games do offer choices and forks here and there. So, in this game you get Force orbs (points, basically) at the end of each level, plus extra orbs for secrets or bonus objectives. You use this points to unlock and improve Force Powers: dark, light, neutral. Doesn't make the game an RPG, does it?

My point is, if skills are optional and you can easily manage without them, the game isn't much of an RPG.

UserNamer

Cipher
Yesterday I did the spirit battle. I'm playing the game on hard, but then I was transformed into a piece of shit soldier that had to fight multiple soldier like enemies. This sort of shit is difficult even for geralt, who is a superhuman, what the fuck was I supposed to do as a piece of shit soldier? I quickly turned down the difficulty on easy, tried to bump it back to hard when I met the megaboss, discovered that upon death I had to replay several different combats before getting back to him, and switched back to easy again. I mean, what the fuck? Who thought that was a good idea? I love a challenge but this was a pointless exercise in tediousness.

Setting the difficulty to easy is like using god mode I think.

And I also unlocked the "press the x button and something awesom" ability :)

edit: looks like they patched that in 1.2:

"An auto–save has been added before the fight against the draug."

edit 2: I also used the "switch to easy mode" cheat for that piece of shit kayran fight, and for that bigger piece of shit letho fight

made

Arcane
UserNamer said:
Yesterday I did the spirit battle. I'm playing the game on hard, but then I was transformed into a piece of shit soldier that had to fight multiple soldier like enemies. This sort of shit is difficult even for geralt, who is a superhuman, what the fuck was I supposed to do as a piece of shit soldier? I quickly turned down the difficulty on easy, tried to bump it back to hard when I met the megaboss, discovered that upon death I had to replay several different combats before getting back to him, and switched back to easy again. I mean, what the fuck? Who thought that was a good idea? I love a challenge but this was a pointless exercise in tediousness.
It's easily the most annoying sequence in the entire game. Thankfully, today's patch is supposed to fix that oversight.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Vince, I fucking dare you to beat the game without investing a single-point. The combat is shit, I completely agree, but that's just bullshit.

Also, how the FUCK is Drage Age's 4 or 5 story-impacting choices "great"?

So far, you've had more choices than this, in a game just as linear, the difference being that it is VASTLY better written (you know, people behaving as people).

Unless you'll also hold that DA was as well-written as TW2 :lol:

Ah well, you're not that far into the game I guess. But it stinks something awful to hail DA's C&C as fucking amazing and scoff at TW2's.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yesterday (I'm in act II now, Iorveth's path) I got swarmed by 12 or so Nekkers in the wilderness. The fuckers appeared from underground and surrounded me before I could react. I was starting to say bye-bye to Geralt and wonder when did I save last, but it turned out the upgrades to my skills and inventory made me almost invulnerable to their hits (I went for all the armor and damage resistance increasing skills and gear) - as in I got 5 damage instead of 30 per hit. It took a couple of minutes, but soon the Nekkers were all dead.

I would like to see someone do this if they did not upgrade skills and /or inventory. Hell, I'd like to see someone do this if going by a different skillup route (damage res. was crucial to survive).

So yeah, I'd say player's skill alone is not enough to beat the game. Character's skill (and gear) matters as much.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Finished the game, Roche's path ( :salute: ) Will do Iorveth's path later.

Judging from the ending, I'm pretty sure the northern kingdoms are fucked. Nilfgaard's victory, I feel, is inevitable. The Witch Hunts are on and 2 of the northern kingdoms are in turmoil. Aedirn is in Henselt's hands and Temeria has internal problems. I gave the child to Natalis, but with the invasion imminent, I doubt he'll have enough time to quell the nobles and rebuild the army.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait till witcher 3 to find out. :x

Still, I'm hoping that my choices have lessened the influence of Sorcerers and Sorceresses on the world.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
While I did (mostly) agree on Vagina Dweller's DA review, and it was a decent game, I wouldn't even compare it to Witcher 2 which is superior in pretty much every way. The writing is much better, making characters more believable than they were in DA. Combat is different and less stat-driven, but encounter design is way better and they even got rid of the respawning that happened so horribly often in the first Witcher, as far as I noticed. As a game, it is definitely much better than DA, if only for the lack of horrendous soul-draining repetitive filler encounter design.

It also has the better C&C. Yes, DA had some nice ones, but complaining that W2 has "fake consequences" while liking the C&C in DA is retarded. Granted, I'm still in the first chapter so I can't bring too many examples of the W2 C&C yet, but it's definitely noticable and it's less in your face than in DA. Also, their outcomes are much less predictable than the ones in DA. In DA, despite the claims of moral greyness, most of the choices were obvious - there was always one perfect choice and one evil choice with some in-between choices. In W2,
I kept Aryan (or however he's spelled) alive and then when I met him again in the dungeon and let him help me escape, he set fire to the oilstores, setting the castle afire.
This was a consequence I did not expect at all, and the situation was not a "YOU MUST CHOOSE" one but merely a situation where you had two ways to solve a problem, and the way you solved it would later have a consequence.

Also, W2 has a faction choice that influences a large part of the game, with a unique questline based on your choice, and no optimal "everyone should just be friends" choice available, like with the werewolf-elf conflict in DA.

tl;dr:
Vince is moran, W2 iz bettar than DA, all other opinians r derp cause it is so

made

Arcane
To put things into perspective, VD is the man who thought the best RPG since Arcanum had potentially "one of the best RT combat systems" and was "challenging and tactical". Keep that in mind when you fight the good fight.

UserNamer

Cipher
I think the point VD made is this:

in most rpgs once you get to a "hub" (not just the hub from fallout 1) you have multiple ways of solving the related quest and you can do so while following a non linear path. While in the witcher you have a binary set of choice: once you make a choice the following chapter has a fixed and extremely linear main quest.

as for me, I don't know how this game fares as an rpg, but I don't care. It looks cool and it is extremely enjoyable. I look forward to a sequel improving on this game formula

UserNamer

Cipher
also regarding the number of copies sold:

you must put the sales number into perspective: how big is cd red? How much they spent making this game?

100 000 copies could be a success based on these factors. If microsoft spends an unimaginable amount of millions in marketing halo: halos in space and then they sell just 100 000 copies, it is a disaster.

If a studios from a small country that has less total money than what microsoft spent on marketing halo sells 100 copies in a few days (excluding steam and gog sales and the prevision of more than a million copies sold by the end of the year) it may be an unparalled success

Exmit

Scholar
Patch 1.2 announced

New DLC!
"Barbers and Coiffeuses"

Some traders also provide barbershop services. For a small fee, Geralt can get them to change his hairstyle. Search notice boards for information about barbers and coiffeuses offering services of this nature in a given location. In Flotsam, in Chapter 1 of the game, these services are available from the antique book dealer Einar Gausel. In Chapter 2, look either for Sambor in Henselt’s Camp or for Felicia Cori in Vergen. This apprentice sorceress also provides hairstyling services in Loc Muinne, in Chapter 3 of the game.
Patch 1.2 Corrections/Amendments (June 3, 2011)

All previously released DLC packages are installed with Patch 1.2:
"Blue Stripes Combat Jacket"
Ultimate Alchemist's Outfit"
Ultimate Mage's Outfit"
"Ultimate Swordsman's Outfit"
"Finisher Pack"
"Mysterious Merchant"
"Troll Trouble"
Patch 1.2 adds a new free DLC package titled “Barbers and Coiffeuses.” To take advantage of barbershop and hairstyling services, look for Einar Gausel in Chapter 1 of the game, Sambor in Henselt’s Camp in Chapter 2, Felicia Cori in Chapter 2 if you travel to Vergen, and Felicia Cori once again in Chapter 3.
Game saves are now compressed automatically, lowering the amount of disk space they utilize.
An option has been added to the game menu allowing game saves to be deleted. To delete a game save, highlight the relevant item and press the ‘Delete’ key.
The game menu now loads at a markedly accelerated pace.
The game now supports Logitech G35 headphones and other USB headsets with on-board sound cards.
A number of fixes have been added to the key binding functionality (actions can now be mapped to number pad and cursor/arrow keys).
Analog sticks on gamepads now work correctly in the GUI panels.
A number of game balance fixes have been introduced in the Prologue.
Lock on targets is not lost when the distance to targets increases.
A number of fixes have been made in blocking functionality during combat. Also, player character responsiveness in combat has been improved, and Geralt can attack more than one target during normal combat.
A number of corrections have been made in the statistics displayed in item diagrams in the Crafting panel.
The Witcher 1 saves are now imported correctly.
An auto–save has been added before the fight against the draug.
Flare bomb duration is now 2 (two) minutes.
Issue involving the equipping of bombs (or other items) even if they were not present in the character Inventory has been fixed.
Islamic–themed and similar textures have been deleted and/or replaced.
A number of fixes have been made in game dialogues.
Issue that blocked advancement to the next level at the start of Chapter 3 has been fixed.
Issue involving the occurrence of T-poses upon the destruction of nekker nests has been corrected.
Guards can no longer block Geralt when he is on a ladder.
Knives no longer affect friendly NPCs.
Bug related to using some containers has been fixed.
Ostmurk (an ingredient required to complete a quest) can no longer be sold.
Ingredients required to complete the “Melitele's Heart” quest have been added to the game.
A fix has been introduced in the “Troll Trouble” quest whereby the she–troll’s head can be won in a game of dice poker.
The Ghost of the Banner can no longer be killed by wraiths.
Issue involving the Operator being neutral and thus susceptible to being killed before any conversation occurs has been fixed.
A number of fixes have been introduced to prevent selected NPCs from being blocked (king in siege tower, knights when destroying a gate in the Prologue, etc.).
The “Three Sisters” quest has been fixed so that the door does not remain locked forever once the quest has been completed.
A number of progression breaks have been fixed, including instances of blocked meditation, inability to save game, and blocked combat after use of static cameras (e.g. game could not be saved after completion of the “Indecent Proposal” quest).
The progression break during the fight against the dragon in Chapter 3 (exploration not working properly) has been fixed.
The progression break during the fight against Dethmold (whereby he sometimes remained behind his barrier, doing nothing) has been fixed.
The progression break (black screen) in the "Little Shop of Dreams" quest has been fixed.
The progression break following failure to complete the ritual with Anezka has been fixed.
The progression break during the dialogue on the beach in the “Hung Over” quest has been fixed.

STILL NO 4:3 :x

CDPR WTF , i can set 4:3 on my xbox 360 but i cannot set 4:3 on a PC GAME WTF ?

abija

Prophet
Risen is an RPG because the character's skills matter a lot and it's probably impossible to beat the game without investing a single point. Most points, if I recall correctly, made a huge difference, and allowed me to do things I couldn't before.
I played as a mage, found some staff in the 2nd portion of the game that seemed to have impressive stats and gave it a try. Finished the game hitting mobs in the head with it without breaking a sweat even though I was stubborn and didn't spend points early in the game in melee skills which made the fight quests in the mage line even more annoying.

My point is, if skills are optional and you can easily manage without them, the game isn't much of an RPG.
And my point was you certainly can't manage easily and the improvements they bring are significant enough.
http://imgur.com/a/QnHUC build with berserk, so another 20% dmg if fight wouldn't end so fast. It's also only lvl 32 and certainly not an optimized build because I wanted to test alchemy skills, could go a lot higher in sword tree too for even more damage and defense.

In DA games for example it's just as possible to complete the fights just abusing movement and agro mechanics.
And the reason they don't make sure that kind of "abuse" doesn't happen is that some players enjoy beating the game relying more on their skill than developing a good build. At the same time, the more stat oriented player can choose to not exploit all the mechanics. Just as I avoided kiting and threat mechanics abuse, force field + taunt or the spirit warrior sustained in DA:O I can avoid constant rolling or quen in TW2.

Angthoron

Arcane
"Islamic–themed and similar textures have been deleted and/or replaced."

I didn't even notice those and someone got so butthurt that they have to remove it, wtf did I miss?

abija

Prophet
Apparently there is a carpet in some brothel and they don't want to make it look like there's some statement behind it.
It didn't go unnoticed for sure if they made sure it goes in the patch notes.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Grunker said:
Vince, I fucking dare you to beat the game without investing a single-point. The combat is shit, I completely agree, but that's just bullshit.
Which skills are essential for beating the game? If what I say is bullshit, you should have no problems proving me wrong.

Also, how the FUCK is Drage Age's 4 or 5 story-impacting choices "great"?
Are we talking about DA now? Haven't we discussed it, like, to death already?

So far, you've had more choices than this, in a game just as linear, the difference being that it is VASTLY better written (you know, people behaving as people).

Unless you'll also hold that DA was as well-written as TW2 :lol:
Is that what i said? I thought that I praised the characters, atmosphere, story, and writing. They are the undeniable strength of the game, along with the visuals. The rest? Not so much.

Ah well, you're not that far into the game I guess. But it stinks something awful to hail DA's C&C as fucking amazing and scoff at TW2's.
I posted my early impressions. I stated several times that I haven't finished the game, that I'm still in Ch2, etc. SO FAR, the choices and consequences aren't something to write home about, but I hope it will change soon.

Vault Dweller

Developer
abija said:
And my point was you certainly can't manage easily and the improvements they bring are significant enough.
I am managing easily. That's the point. Again, maybe this is about to change, in which case, I'm looking forward to it. Otherwise...

http://imgur.com/a/QnHUC build with berserk, so another 20% dmg if fight wouldn't end so fast. It's also only lvl 32 and certainly not an optimized build because I wanted to test alchemy skills, could go a lot higher in sword tree too for even more damage and defense.
I'm not saying that you can't build a more powerful character. I'm saying it's unnecessary and the game doesn't force you to. See the difference?

And the reason they don't make sure that kind of "abuse" doesn't happen is that some players enjoy beating the game relying more on their skill than developing a good build. At the same time, the more stat oriented player can choose to not exploit all the mechanics. Just as I avoided kiting and threat mechanics abuse, force field + taunt or the spirit warrior sustained in DA:O I can avoid constant rolling or quen in TW2.
I'm playing the game the way it was designed to be played. I suppose I can ignore rolling, Quen, force push, and just play a swordsman who doesn't dodge and fight his enemies face to face, in which case, I would need the skills, but that would be pretend-play and no different from many Oblivion's difficulty-increasing suggestions.

Vault Dweller

Developer
UserNamer said:
I think the point VD made is this:

in most rpgs once you get to a "hub" (not just the hub from fallout 1) you have multiple ways of solving the related quest and you can do so while following a non linear path. While in the witcher you have a binary set of choice: once you make a choice the following chapter has a fixed and extremely linear main quest.
That is correct.

as for me, I don't know how this game fares as an rpg, but I don't care. It looks cool and it is extremely enjoyable. I look forward to a sequel improving on this game formula
I agree with this 100%.

made said:
To put things into perspective, VD is the man who thought the best RPG since Arcanum had potentially "one of the best RT combat systems" and was "challenging and tactical". Keep that in mind when you fight the good fight.
An attack on credibility of the witness. How exciting.

How can we accept his opinion that the TW2 combat system is good but actiony when he thought that the DA system was pretty good? How, my good sirs, I ask you?! Ban this scoundrel before he corrupts the easily impressionable ones with his filthy lies!

MicoSelva said:
Yesterday (I'm in act II now, Iorveth's path) I got swarmed by 12 or so Nekkers in the wilderness. The fuckers appeared from underground and surrounded me before I could react. I was starting to say bye-bye to Geralt and wonder when did I save last, but it turned out the upgrades to my skills and inventory made me almost invulnerable to their hits (I went for all the armor and damage resistance increasing skills and gear) - as in I got 5 damage instead of 30 per hit. It took a couple of minutes, but soon the Nekkers were all dead.

I would like to see someone do this if they did not upgrade skills and /or inventory. Hell, I'd like to see someone do this if going by a different skillup route (damage res. was crucial to survive).

So yeah, I'd say player's skill alone is not enough to beat the game. Character's skill (and gear) matters as much.
You'd like to see someone do what, my good sir? Do exactly what you did: get surrounded and fight standing still? Yeah, you'd probably need good skills and gear.

Is it possible to beat them without skills? I haven't fought this particular fight, but I'm pretty sure you can. Force push one to create an opening, slash and roll. Cast Quen the first chance you get and you're good for 30 seconds, which is plenty of time to kill at least 2/3 of them.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
VD said:

No. It is perfect as a basis for TW2-discussion with you, because TW2 is so extremely superior in the C&C-design compared to DA. Therefore, it serves pretty well to compare the two in that department.

Since you're not finished though, it's not really a discussion we can have yet.

Suffice it to say my opinion is that anyone praising DA's C&C and not doing the same tenfold for TW2 is downright hypocritical, simple as.

Besides that, JarlFrank pretty much said whatever I would like to say on the subject.

I agree with this 100%.

As do I. Except for the combat, which I find repetitive, boring, repetitive, hilariously easy after an hour or so of Chapter 2 and forward, as well as repetitive. It's as bad as TW1's.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Grunker said:
VD said:

No. It is perfect as a basis for TW2-discussion with you, because TW2 is so extremely superior in the C&C-design compared to DA. Therefore, it serves pretty well to compare the two in that department.
I'm sure. Would you be kind enough to provide a few of these amazing "extremely superior" examples?

Suffice it to say my opinion is that anyone haling DA's C&C and not doing the same tenfold for TW2 is downright hypocritical, simple as.
I see a lot of people praising the witcher 2 as the best thing since sliced bread, but I don't see any fucking examples. Tenfold, you say? Wow. Can I see some examples please? From chapters 1 and 2. Thanks in advance.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Vault Dweller said:
Can I see some examples please?

Sure thing!

I wrote down a couple of them since I was thinking about maybe doing a review. But are you really sure you'd like them posted just now? They're extremely spoilerish.

And by the way; by no means am I praising TW2 as best thing evar. I fail to find even a hint of enjoyment in the combat, which makes out almost half the game-hours, and quests are way too linear. As far as C&C goes though, it's pretty much the best I've ever seen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom