Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Officialsky Witcherovda 2 Impressiovna Threadskaia

dr. one

Augur
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Someone explain:
If you go the Roche route you can't save Saskia? But after the Dragon fight when you return to the city you can loot Eilhart's stilett somewhere. Why? Can you still use it somehow?
Are you sure that was on Roche path? I´ve found the dagger in the epilogue as well, but only on Iorveth route when I opted to go after Triss. More specifically after the encounter with beaten up Iorveth, which I thought of as an implication Iorveth managed to the dagger but failed afterwards.
May be a hint on a possibility in sequel/expansion, though I wouldn´t bet on it.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Someone explain:
If you go the Roche route you can't save Saskia? But after the Dragon fight when you return to the city you can loot Eilhart's stilett somewhere. Why? Can you still use it somehow?

No. Why would you? While with Roche you don't know what Saskia is. Not killing the dragon is a good option in it self, because dragons aren't monsters like nekkers and shit.
Didn't read the lore of the dragons in-game.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Havoc said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Someone explain:

No. Why would you? While with Roche you don't know what Saskia is. Not killing the dragon is a good option in it self, because dragons aren't monsters like nekkers and shit.
Didn't read the lore of the dragons in-game.

Agreed.

Geralt just doesn't know that Saskia is a dragon. What is more, he doesn't know that the dagger can be used to revert the spell she is under. Hence, Geralt has no reason to use the dagger for anything.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
dr. one said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Someone explain:
Are you sure that was on Roche path? I´ve found the dagger in the epilogue as well, but only on Iorveth route when I opted to go after Triss. More specifically after the encounter with beaten up Iorveth, which I thought of as an implication Iorveth managed to the dagger but failed afterwards.
May be a hint on a possibility in sequel/expansion, though I wouldn´t bet on it.

Yes that was it. Iorweth + saving Triss. I confused that. I thought maybe you could go back or something.

Another question: In the german version they call Foltest's children "Bankerte". As far as I can tell a Bankert is a specific form of bastard child, one sired with a prostitute. Does Baroness de la Valette work as a hooker in her spare time? Or what's up with that?

Mrowak

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
dr. one said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Someone explain:

Yes that was it. Iorweth + saving Triss. I confused that. I thought maybe you could go back or something.

Another question: In the german version they call Foltest's children "Bankerte". As far as I can tell a Bankert is a specific form of bastard child, one sired with a prostitute. Does Baroness de la Valette work as a hooker in her spare time? Or what's up with that?

I would bet my money on a translation fuckup. In Polish a bastard child is called 'bękart'. As far as I know the terms applies not only to children of prostitutes but to all illegitimate children.

Edit: It may also be that in the medieval mindset all mothers who sired a child without a legitimate father were seen as whores, regardless of their social position.

Edit2: Come to think of it Aryan de La Vellette does accuse Foltest of 'shaming' his mother. The king put the baroness in pretty unconfortable position having refused to recognise her as the mother of his children.

Deleted member 7219

SoupNazi said:
Guess who just won the Collector's edition in a PC Gamer contest, :smug:

I don't do guessing games. Tell me right now.

Mrowak

Arcane
Havoc said:
Matt7895 said:
SoupNazi said:

Intelligence Check Roll : 1 - 1 = 0
Intelligence Check Failed

Sarcasm detector critical failure. Save vs. Will failed. Terminal Intelligence damage - 1d4+1 => -3

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Mrowak said:
Havoc said:
Matt7895 said:
SoupNazi said:

Intelligence Check Roll : 1 - 1 = 0
Intelligence Check Failed

Sarcasm detector critical failure. Save vs. Will failed. Terminal Intelligence damage - 1d4+1 => -3

Intelligence-based Skill Loses:
Reading Skill
Comprehension Skill
Breathing Skill

UserNamer

Cipher
Mrowak said:
Edit: It may also be that in the medieval mindset all mothers who sired a child without a legitimate father were seen as whores, regardless of their social position.

I wish this was still the case :(

AT chapter 3: should I save
triss
or go with roche?

anus_pounder

Arcane
Roche is a bro, you know what to do.

Also, how does the Journal guy (Dandelion) know about Saskia's true condition on Roche Path? Can we assume Geralt found out some time in the future and told him about it?

BelisariuS.F

Augur
Vault Dweller said:
Then again, I think no one lamented that you couldn't join Delekhan in Betrayal at Krondor, or you had to fight Ravel in Planescape. There's simply a limit for C&C in story-driven RPGs, in the same way there is in a well prepared Pen&Paper campaign led by a competent DM.
Isn't that what I said?
No, it isn't. Everyone knows that TW2 is a story-driven rpg. I think that everyone giving a positive opinion on the c&c did it knowing that there are limits in a story driven rpg. Then you jump in, saying that c&c is weak, giving examples of absent choices that would be retarded in the context of the story and player character (like joining Letho), showing that you completely disregarded the fact that this is a story-driven rpg where you cannot change the story however you like.

Deleted member 7219

BelisariuS.F said:
Vault Dweller said:
Then again, I think no one lamented that you couldn't join Delekhan in Betrayal at Krondor, or you had to fight Ravel in Planescape. There's simply a limit for C&C in story-driven RPGs, in the same way there is in a well prepared Pen&Paper campaign led by a competent DM.
Isn't that what I said?
No, it isn't. Everyone knows that TW2 is a story-driven rpg. I think that everyone giving a positive opinion on the c&c did it knowing that there are limits in a story driven rpg. Then you jump in, saying that c&c is weak, giving examples of absent choices that would be retarded in the context of the story and player character (like joining Letho), showing that you completely disregarded the fact that this is a story-driven rpg where you cannot change the story however you like.

True dat.

I'd recommend to people who want a good RPG that lets them be the bad guy, to get Fallout: New Vegas. The story of that game is basically, three factions want to control a place and you can join any of them. Witcher 2 never pretended to be like that. Right from the start you know you have to hunt down the assassins.

Phelot

Arcane
Roche is quickly becoming the one character that I really like in the game. I hate elves and dwarves so fuck them. Dandelion is a woman. Trish is better off missing. Just me n Roche, broing it up. Ves is kind of a dumb character too. That "OMG ALMOST RAPE" part was a rather low part of the game. I don't like false senses of limited time and I wish games would stop trying to put them in. As if I would give a fuck if her anal cherry was intact, anyway.

But Roche... Roche I would save from sodomy.

Deleted member 7219

phelot said:
Roche is quickly becoming the one character that I really like in the game. I hate elves and dwarves so fuck them. Dandelion is a woman. Trish is better off missing. Just me n Roche, broing it up. Ves is kind of a dumb character too. That "OMG ALMOST RAPE" part was a rather low part of the game. I don't like false senses of limited time and I wish games would stop trying to put them in. As if I would give a fuck if her anal cherry was intact, anyway.

But Roche... Roche I would save from sodomy.

I agree with your summation of Roche. He seemed to me to be a sympathetic and loyal character. He had his allegiances and his ideals of how the world should be. I've just finished my second playthrough, where I chose Iorveth's path, and what a fucking prick he is.

I felt terrible when I heard about Ves, but then again I'm not a misogynist.

Phelot

Arcane
Gragt said:
You must have an interesting time with your dates.

Is that your roundabout way of asking me out? ;) :oops:

yes, I would be delighted only don't impregnate me.

Matthew said:
I felt terrible when I heard about Ves, but then again I'm not a misogynist.

You have me all wrong. I just don't like her as a character is all.

EDIT: And, you know that was a stupid fucking plan of Roche's. I like the guy, but what a convoluted plot. Why couldn't we simply storm his base? Well, I mean you could anyway and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
BelisariuS.F said:
Vault Dweller said:
Isn't that what I said?
Wait, what? C&C in the game are fine because they are story-driven C&C. Silly me. I suppose the combat is strategic and tactical too, but it's strategic and tactical in the story-driven context. Yeah, makes sense now.

I'm saying that C&C are weak not because some choices I would have liked to see are missing but because what I've seen in the game so far is weak. The fork is excellent, I agree, but that's just a fork. It doesn't modify the path in front of you, it simply takes you left or right, offering a mostly linear experience after the choice is made (from what I've seen).

Now, a lot of people have disagreed with me, yet nobody has bothered to post a few examples proving me wrong, which should be really fucking easy if the game is loaded with C&C as everyone claims. So, again, what are the examples of choices and consequences in Chapters 1 and 2. How do your choices affect the gameplay? Come on, don't be shy. What did I miss?

UserNamer

Cipher
Oh man I can't wait for the liberal rage over the homosex character in this game. I love how homosex is presented as a deviant act by a weird and creepy and extremely narcissist character. Not the "it's just a normal expression of sexuality and everyone can be one!" a la politically correct ware.

Roche is cool and badass

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom