Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Officialsky Witcherovda 2 Impressiovna Threadskaia

made

Arcane
MicoSelva said:
Grunker said:
TW1 had better "quotes." It had some very, very well-written dialogue pieces (especially with Foltest, Radovid, Vincent, and partying/drinking with Zoltan and Dandelion), but they were few and far between.
And all the good ones of these were taken directly from the books. Case closed.
That may be so, but for someone like me who never read the books that doesn't matter. I understand the English dialogue in TW2 is vastly improved compared to TW1, but having played both in Polish TW2's feels much more generic, or "american" if you will. There's very few memorable lines, it's overall much more light-hearted - too much comedy, little "depth". I think the scene I remember best from TW2 is the one with Odrin and his pals, says it all really.

MicoSelva said:
BTW, someone asked a question about a quest? Hooligans! They are attacking my precious! Imagine they're complaining, quick!
^ There, fixed your misspell. You're welcome.

made

Arcane
He was spot-on though. If anything, the complaint should be that this is pretty much the only quest of that kind in the entire game. It's sorely lacking in the puzzle department.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
RK47 said:
Well, they need to point the players to some books. It's obvious that Geralt had no idea what the symbols mean, and neither do the players. The quest journal kinda suck in this game.

Quest Solution:

Visit a bookseller and read up on runes and you understand what the runes actually means instead of trial and error, you can draw some relations with the verse and the meaning behind the runes.

Yeah I got those books, still trial and error'd it though. The books describe like 9 different types of runes but there were the same 4 in each of the 3 rooms. Also it didn't seem to relate to the verse in each room either.

To be sure the books you mean are the:

Something like Magical runes I-IV

Right? Meh, probably just me missing something really obvious.

MicoSelva said:
BTW, complaining about the chest puzzles is retarded. You get a puzzle and don't see any immediate way of solving it = game design is bad? Are You fucking kidding me?

What is bad game design is that I was able to trial and error my way through without having any idea what the symbols meant. A better puzzle, imo, was the one to get to the Operator, it would have taken someone with a hell of a lot of patience to trial and error their way through that.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
As someone to whom both Polish and English are foreign languages (my English is better, but I hear Poles speaking to each other on daily basis, recently), I'll say the Polish VO is much better. I do have some gripes, for one the dragon-killer-girl sounds cringeworthy, but Polish Geralt is light years ahead of the English one. English Geralt just tries too hard to be Sam Fisher. Potato one gives out a nice vibe of someone laidback and uncorncerned. If he had any lapses, as Mrowak claim, it was too subtle for me to even notice.

FatCat

Educated
Couldn't disagree more , English VO is way superior to Polish with single exception of Geralt who sounds p.good in English to.Polish VO is bland and sounds like was recorded in a fucking quarry.It's obvious that much more attention and money was put into English VO , with first game they ware aiming for poles and now they ware aiming for international audience (mainly English speaking).

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Multiple Sarcasm said:
MicoSelva really said:
BTW, complaining about the chest puzzles is retarded. You get a puzzle and don't see any immediate way of solving it = game design is bad? Are You fucking kidding me?

MicoSelva said:
BTW, someone asked a question about a quest? Hooligans! They are attacking my precious! Imagine they're complaining, quick!
If You're assuming I'm forbidding You (or anyone) to be retarded, then You're wrong. By all means, if You get any satisfacttion from it, please continue.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
FatCat said:
Couldn't disagree more , English VO is way superior to Polish with single exception of Geralt who sounds p.good in English to.Polish VO is bland and sounds like was recorded in a fucking quarry.
Sorry, I am not in the right mood. It was quite a nice opening, though. :thumbsup:

MicoSelva said:
Multiple Sarcasm said:
MicoSelva really said:
MicoSelva said:
If You're assuming I'm forbidding You (or anyone) to be retarded, then You're wrong. By all means, if You get any satisfacttion from it, please continue.
Ooh, misplaced butthurt is strong with this one. You can stop failing in reading comprehension any time now. Go on, I have faith in you.
I'll even make it easy: I don't believe there was anyone complaining about the chest puzzles or their implementation. Capiche? Or not capiche? Come on, capiche. This exchange is ridiculous, as it is.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
DwarvenFood said:
Mrowak said:
... still, it is evident that Sapkowski had nothing to do with the script for this game :/

Hmm I wonder, did he have anything to do with TW1 script ?

Apart from CDP Red blatantly copying-pasting stuff from books, which incidentaly made at least 50% of actually good dialogues in game, he wasn't involved in any way with TW1 and 2. Ok, he helped the devs draw the map of the world, but that's that.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
FatCat said:
DwarvenFood said:
Mrowak said:
... still, it is evident that Sapkowski had nothing to do with the script for this game :/

Hmm I wonder, did he have anything to do with TW1 script ?

No , he considers game to be a fan-fiction and plans to write next Witcher book.
I don't think that will happen, and in the unlikely event it will, I wouldn't expect great results.

Having said that, I've just started to read Viper, his newest book, about Soviet soldiers in Afghanistan, and the beginning is really good. But then, Narrenturm trilogy started high as well, but took a nose dive into mediocrity around the second book.

dr. one

Augur
Rivmusique said:
Right? Meh, probably just me missing something really obvious.
Kinda.
those I-IV books tell you what the 4 runes you´re extinguishing symbolize - animal, sky, art, time.
these four are also in some forms represented in the hints telling you the order.
for example, in
"Three field mice
Dance in a circle at dusk
Stars are like grain "
mice = animal, dance = art, at dusk = time, stars = sky, so the order is animal, art, time, sky.

made said:
He was spot-on though. If anything, the complaint should be that this is pretty much the only quest of that kind in the entire game.
Baltimore´s Nightmare was pretty good.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Huh...Mrowak patch did something alright...most of the Chapter 3 combat log shows Geralt dealing minimal damage to enemies he attacked, and I was wielding a superb meteorite sword at 26-30 damage range.

Not sure if that's right. I had no points invested on Swordmanship and went full magic & part alchemist. Only gargoyle backstabs rape me. Others are easily Igni-ted and Aard-finished.

Gerrard

Arcane
Rivmusique said:
A better puzzle, imo, was the one to get to the Operator, it would have taken someone with a hell of a lot of patience to trial and error their way through that.
Actually, that was really shitty, because if you didn't write down (or take a screenshot) the words you need to say, you have no way of checking them later. They aren't in the journal, they aren't on the scroll, you can't repeat that dialogue.

The chests were stupid for a different reason. Or several:
Only a few of the runes from the books are used.
They are supposed to be protected by powerful magic, but are really easy to open.
That sword. That was the dumbest thing in the whole game, you find some magical sword and suddenly it tells you everything about the Wild Hunt. That was just retarded. Looks like they are running out of ideas.

RK47

Patron
I think most of the game frustration is how Geralt seems to be forced to fail in several situations. Like the first Kingslayer fight, how the fuck did Geralt get disarmed and knocked down when you were dominating in that fight.

Same with Saskia's team up below Vergen. I was killing Kaedwen soldiers left and right, then suddenly I was set ablaze and near death, forcing Saskia to expose her magic. Fuck that noise.

It would've been more awesome if there was a consequence for handling some encounters well or badly...like a hidden gauge of 'success'. Kicking ass well might keep Saskia's secret hidden longer for Geralt..and getting badly beaten would do the opposite. Would've been an improvement over 'Forced Plot Failures' that I have to endure.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Gerrard said:
Actually, that was really shitty, because if you didn't write down (or take a screenshot) the words you need to say, you have no way of checking them later
I have recorded this shit on my cellphone. Then, listened to it, again and again, while staring on the dialoge options. Fun stuff.
Then I had "some" trouble to defeat the Operator. I decided to return latter, I had still three talents to unlock. But before I knew, I was in the epilogue. "Oh, I'll reload, I want to beat that creep. But first, let's see what epilogue is all about"
One fight, and I see ending credits. "Fu*k it. Not reloading. Next playthrough."

Deleted member 7219

I'm glad Sapkowski didn't write Witcher 2. It was much better for it.

I'm reading the first Witcher book at the moment and so far there isn't any writing per se, just a lot of dialogue. And sex.

RK47

Patron
Finished both paths.

I liked Iorveth's less...but it was well worth the 'hidden fact' that the player would not be uncover in the Roche run. It was a good piece. Something that never even crossed my mind in Roche's run.

It made me curious though, what qualifies as an unique ending? They claimed there are 11, but I barely see a difference in the finale. Kingslayer still appears, Triss alive.....okay maybe the fate of Roche & Iorveth will turn out differently...but what's the diff?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
RK47 said:
Finished both paths.

I liked Iorveth's less...but it was well worth the 'hidden fact' that the player would not be uncover in the Roche run. It was a good piece. Something that never even crossed my mind in Roche's run.

It made me curious though, what qualifies as an unique ending? They claimed there are 11, but I barely see a difference in the finale. Kingslayer still appears, Triss alive.....okay maybe the fate of Roche & Iorveth will turn out differently...but what's the diff?

The conclusion at the meet will be vastly different, I know the much. Don't know much else, I'm afraid. Only played once.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom