Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Officialsky Witcherovda 2 Impressiovna Threadskaia

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Hmmm. Tired of work? Perhaps short vacation before returning. Good luck to him anyway.

korenzel

Educated
I've finally decided to try this much hyped game over the week-end.

The engine runs absolutely horribly on my computer. I foolishly thought being able to run another recent game (Dungeon Siege 3 on maximum resolution and details) meant I had a chance at decent framerates for this one : no such luck. The game is set to the minimum specs available, all graphical options disabled, at 1280*800 resolution, and it's the choppiest and sluggiest piece of software I've ever run. Even Crysis and Anno 1404 ran better than this. Textures take ages to load, especially in some area : the Flotsam Inn's floor remains low res for about a minute. Obviously CD Project expects its gamer to have high end computers, and Poland is a much richer country that I thought given such high expectations.

Since I'm not about to fork out 500€ to upgrade my computer for a single game, I put back up some graphical options and the game at least looks like a pretty slideshow. The world is detailed and beautiful, but it's also overloaded with useless junk and details that make the screen very difficult to analyze. Trying to find a bag of dropped loot in the forest is like looking for a needle in a haystack, brown bag on brown floor near brown trees, branches everywhere, shadows and lights effects abound. I like pretty graphics, but not when they detract from the gameplay. In this game, they are very much a nuisance, as it's near impossible to identify some pickable herbs or containers without using the medallion every two meters. I hate the constant highlighting of activable objects recent games abuse, but in this one it's almost a necessity given the messy graphical design. The camera is far, far too close to the character and bugs out often if you get too close to walls or step in a doorway. Each press of the movement keys moves Geralt far too much for my liking, and often walking is just impossible (while in stealth mode). Was this epitome of PC game designed with analog gamepads in mind ?

Combat isn't helped at all from this. Geralt's hit box is much bigger than his body, and enemies often surround you or attack you from behind without giving any warning. When an back attack can take out half the hero's health on normal difficulty, there really should be one. Dying in the tutorial area on normal shouldn't happen if the game mechanics are well explained, but alas the tooltips are absolutely no help, as they neither pause the action or stay on screen long enough to be read, and there's no way to review them afterward. The game is horribly imbalanced, as signs barely do anything save for the god mode Quen, which is the only sign I have ever used so far. Battles often involve many opponents, but since Geralt is so frail and easily interrupted, they all turn out the same : run around, activate Quen, attack until it runs out (two of three hits), dodge away, wait for vigor to regenerate, and repeat. It was fun for the five first minutes of the prologue. Now, on my nth's bandit patrol and nekker group, it's really more boring and annoying than anything else. God forbid if one of the opponents has a shield, it can magically block any kind of blow going its way, even power attacks, and prevents any use of combo.

Character development is for some reason locked for most of the abilities, which makes it really fun when all I can unlock is the ability to throw dagger at enemies or gain 10 more hit points. I suppose I have to hit a certain level, or do a certain quest to unlock magic, swordsmanship and the other paths, but since I can't even take a look at the trees, I really can't say I look forward to whatever they have to offer. Fighting in this game is the complete opposite of fun. Am I missing something in the combat system that somehow makes it enjoyable ? I'm halfway tempted to swallow my pride and just start over on easy, to scrap away the whole combat from this action-rpg and just enjoy the story, which seems the only redeeming point of this overhyped piece of crap.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When you first open the character screen there actually appears a popup that tells you that you need to invest a couple of skillpoints into basic Witcher abilities before you can invest in the other paths.

Lern 2 reed

BelisariuS.F

Augur
korenzel said:
Geralt's hit box is much bigger than his body, and enemies often surround you or attack you from behind without giving any warning. When an back attack can take out half the hero's health on normal difficulty, there really should be one.

I agree. There should be a big flashing warning icon and a voice should say "WARNING! YOU WILL BE ATTACKED FROM BEHIND IN 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... NOW!"

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
BelisariuS.F said:
korenzel said:
Geralt's hit box is much bigger than his body, and enemies often surround you or attack you from behind without giving any warning. When an back attack can take out half the hero's health on normal difficulty, there really should be one.

I agree. There should be a big flashing warning icon and a voice should say "WARNING! YOU WILL BE ATTACKED FROM BEHIND IN 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... NOW!"

And when you actually get backstabbed it should flash *MORON!!1111*

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
korenzel said:

The engine runs absolutely horribly on my computer. I foolishly thought being able to run another recent game (Dungeon Siege 3 on maximum resolution and details) meant I had a chance at decent framerates for this one : no such luck. The game is set to the minimum specs available, all graphical options disabled, at 1280*800 resolution, and it's the choppiest and sluggiest piece of software I've ever run. Even Crysis and Anno 1404 ran better than this. Textures take ages to load, especially in some area : the Flotsam Inn's floor remains low res for about a minute. Obviously CD Project expects its gamer to have high end computers, and Poland is a much richer country that I thought given such high expectations.
Even my shitty computer can run it on minimal detail. There's nothing that I could even remotely play on it on max settings, at least nothing that was released in the last 3-4 years. So I'm quite happy, the problem must be on your end.

In this game, they are very much a nuisance, as it's near impossible to identify some pickable herbs or containers without using the medallion every two meters. I hate the constant highlighting of activable objects recent games abuse, but in this one it's almost a necessity given the messy graphical design.
Picking up stuff does suck, yes.

Combat isn't helped at all from this. Geralt's hit box is much bigger than his body, and enemies often surround you or attack you from behind without giving any warning. When an back attack can take out half the hero's health on normal difficulty, there really should be one.
They should have streamlined it to make it more welcoming. No Awesome Button, what the fuck?

Dying in the tutorial area on normal shouldn't happen if the game mechanics are well explained, but alas the tooltips are absolutely no help, as they neither pause the action or stay on screen long enough to be read, and there's no way to review them afterward.
Yes, there is. It's called Journal. And it's not exactly a revolutionary concept, most RPGs have them. You should have thought of it. There's the manual, too. And internet walkthroughs. With games getting simpler and the absolute information overload that is the internet, you'd think that people shouldn't have any problems with games anymore.

The game is horribly imbalanced, as signs barely do anything save for the god mode Quen, which is the only sign I have ever used so far. Battles often involve many opponents, but since Geralt is so frail and easily interrupted, they all turn out the same : run around, activate Quen, attack until it runs out (two of three hits), dodge away, wait for vigor to regenerate, and repeat. It was fun for the five first minutes of the prologue. Now, on my nth's bandit patrol and nekker group, it's really more boring and annoying than anything else.
Use bombs. Use traps. Use potions. Use oils. You have enough tools at your disposal. If you don't use them, don't complain about battles being too difficult or boring.

God forbid if one of the opponents has a shield, it can magically block any kind of blow going its way, even power attacks, and prevents any use of combo.
They use their shield TO BLOCK YOUR BLOWS? Those clever bastards!

Character development is for some reason locked for most of the abilities, which makes it really fun when all I can unlock is the ability to throw dagger at enemies or gain 10 more hit points. I suppose I have to hit a certain level, or do a certain quest to unlock magic, swordsmanship and the other paths, but since I can't even take a look at the trees, I really can't say I look forward to whatever they have to offer.
This was already touched upon, you need to hit level 6.

Fighting in this game is the complete opposite of fun. Am I missing something in the combat system that somehow makes it enjoyable ? I'm halfway tempted to swallow my pride and just start over on easy, to scrap away the whole combat from this action-rpg and just enjoy the story, which seems the only redeeming point of this overhyped piece of crap.
You can change the difficulty on the fly. Do you ever look at the menu options?

I actually got bored with the game after about ten hours, so I won't try to convince you that it's the best RPG ever. But for fuck's sake, people like you who are whining about the game not holding their hand are the reason we get only get shit like DA2 anymore.

korenzel

Educated
About the back attacks, how about ... a further camera ? Do you mean to tell me you actually can spot enemies behind you before they attack ? Because I certainly can't, I can't even see them after they have hit.

Use bombs. Use traps. Use potions. Use oils. You have enough tools at your disposal. If you don't use them, don't complain about battles being too difficult or boring.
You mean use craftables and consumables that require me to scour the screen for even more items to pick up ?

God forbid if one of the opponents has a shield, it can magically block any kind of blow going its way, even power attacks, and prevents any use of combo.
They use their shield TO BLOCK YOUR BLOWS? Those clever bastards!
I'm bothered by the fact that they can enter a blocking stance whenever they want. A shield while off balance shouldn't be able to block a power attack automatically just because Geralt's sword hit it. Any opponent with a shield is a major pain in the ass because they can't be comboed and damaged quickly and reliably.

Do you ever look at the menu options?
I'll be honest : no. I looked at it when starting up the game and saw there was... practically nothing, so I assumed everything configurable was handled by the game launcher. My mistake.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
korenzel said:
About the back attacks, how about ... a further camera ? Do you mean to tell me you actually can spot enemies behind you before they attack ? Because I certainly can't, I can't even see them after they have hit.

Roll around a lot, make sure your enemies are always in front of you. When enemies are at your flanks or behind you, be prepared to dodge. Don't be static. Play tactically. Try to have the bad guys who want to hurt you in a position where you can see them.

It's not that hard. Rolling around is probably the most useful and most simple tactic in the game.

korenzel

Educated
JarlFrank said:
korenzel said:

Roll around a lot, make sure your enemies are always in front of you. When enemies are at your flanks or behind you, be prepared to dodge. Don't be static. Play tactically. Try to have the bad guys who want to hurt you in a position where you can see them.

It's not that hard. Rolling around is probably the most useful and most simple tactic in the game.
This particular gripe is referring to the countless times I've been stuck a spear in the ass by some roving bands of bandits while exploring the swamp and trying to pick up random herbs and mushrooms. I get hit by something off screen, stagger, roll away and then start the dodge-quen-attack sequence. Combat isn't particulary hard thanks to Quen (even without upgrading), it's just repetitive and annoying.

I'll follow Falkner's useful advice and turn the game on easy, I can't stand this combat system and don't see why I should be trying to cope with it.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
ITT we learn that hit hit spacebar is the new tactical combat.

As for shielded opponents, kill the others first and then kill the shield-bearers that way: press E. Wait for the shield-guy to attack you. He will get staggered (because you pressed E before, exciting??!!) , get in 2 attacks. Press E again. You can also catch him with Yrden if you like that better.

Humppaleka

Cipher
The Witcher 2 annoyed the hell out of me. The graphics were stunning but the rest of it felt hollow... Combat was especially crap, I will never again want to fight those harpies in chapter III. Who on earth designed that area?

Character development was a straight-forward "do more damage, take less damage" process. Went full signcasting and mainly ran around with quen on and blasted away with igni for lulz.

The storyline was pretty strong, I enjoyed it, but that was the only side that was good in this game. And the console-engine was horrible.

RK47

Patron
korenzel said:
JarlFrank said:
korenzel said:

This particular gripe is referring to the countless times I've been stuck a spear in the ass by some roving bands of bandits while exploring the swamp and trying to pick up random herbs and mushrooms. I get hit by something off screen, stagger, roll away and then start the dodge-quen-attack sequence. Combat isn't particulary hard thanks to Quen (even without upgrading), it's just repetitive and annoying.

I'll follow Falkner's useful advice and turn the game on easy, I can't stand this combat system and don't see why I should be trying to cope with it.

Uh, calm down. You're not using your tool. Lore wise, it's perfectly logical. Witchers are strong and fast, but standing still, they'd die. Heck, even Geralt died to a pitchfork to his chest once.

Let's see. Tutorial deaths, ok. They gave you 5 bombs. and 5 signs to use, plus traps. Use them.

The bombs are highly effective against groups. The incineration traps are good as well. Use these if things get too challenging. A few hours and I'm already swimming in herbs.

The signs is where Geralt can even the odds. I didn't think I'd love anything else but Quen, but look at the snare sign, Yrden and mind-control, Axii. If you combine these two signs together, you can take two enemies down within seconds. Cast a Yrden (Hold Q till it finish casting) and mind control one. While the snared opponent is being attacked by his ally, roll behind him and heavy slash. That should drop him quick. You shouldn't lose any encounter 1 v 1, simply because you have Yrden - snare + backstab, Axii - hypnotize + backstab, failing that, Quen - God mode.

Patch the game to 1.2, and they'll even give you DLC items to tone down the difficulty in tutorial. The camera is great, because it gives blind spots as a challenge. Geralt can't afford to just focus on one opponent and ignore the rest.

korenzel

Educated
I only died once in the tutorial, in the first fight to free the Ballista. I charged in and began slashing around, a perfectly workable tactic in the prequel. Here, two crossbow bolts and an avalanche of blows later, Geralt was lying on the floor.

Later fights, I just used the previously mentioned tactic of using Quen and only attacking while under its protective shield. I didn't die after that, not until the one fight against those queen arachnids. As I said, the battle themselves are not particularly challenging, they're just dragged out and annoying due to the endless dodging around waiting for vigor to regenerate. What I can't stand is the inability to detect if monster/bandits are sneaking up from behind while I'm exploring or looking for elusive Aether reagents.

The shield bearers I handle by dodging their blows and hitting them in the back. In a marvelous turn of luck on the part of my opponents, in their stagger they always manage to turn around and get in a blocking stance before I can connect with the second (rapid) blow. As such, they take me about a minute to bring down, a minute spent dodging and hitting once. A minute I'd rather spend doing something else, as I've done this fight more than five times in the tutorial alone.

Anyway, I've given Easy a try and enemies don't seem to block at all in this mode. Fights are much faster, which is good enough for me. I would care about special preparations with traps and bombs if fights were limited and enemies non-respawning. They're neither, so I'd rather they'd be over quickly.

The intentional blind spot sounds like a pretty lame excuse for a shoddy camera. It's a third person action-rpg, yet the game insists on giving me the field of view of an FPS.

RK47

Patron
*scratches head* I don't think Quen is the most effective, even by a longshot. It was more of a 'brute force solution' if anything.

Experiment a little with the signs, Quen prevents vigor from regenerating while it's up while others do not. If the combat is boring, then Quen is to blame.

As for the camera...uhhh. I can't help you with that, if that's what you think, then fine. I think it helps to gauge how far your sword reach is compared to first person view. Not being able to have eyes on your back is fair considering Geralt can have regenerative health, poisons, bombs and traps.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
korenzel said:

If the framerate issues you are having is the occasional frame-skip (which isn't all that bad, I lived with it for first playthrough, so it might not be what your experiencing) try running the game in windowed mode, that cleared it up for me (and some other HD4xxx users). The slow loading textures can be fixed by adjusting the setting "Texture memory size" (IIRC) to the appropriate value. Don't just set it to very small. From what I have heard it's best to run it at Very High with a 1.5GB GPU memory and Large for 1GB. I'm sure you can work out the rest. However I'm not sure how accurate that is as Very High = 600 in the config.ini, and I altered that to 896 on my 1GB card.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
26713.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom