Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Old World - historical 4X strategy by Civ 4 designer (formerly 10 Crowns)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Lukewarm take - Old World is actually a good game. A huge improvement over Civ, especially the newer ones.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Picked the game in the sale and having a blast learning it.

Only minus is female generals. It is immersion breaking

3 others

Scholar
You can disable that in the options.
Are you sure this is included in the base game? The Mohawk Games Community Manager (I think) created a mod for this: https://oldworld.old.mod.io/gender-limited-roles , which is still a bit limited because women keep getting these useless Commander & Tactician archetypes that I'd like to see blocked from them. Not sure if Court Soldiers and other event characters can still be women.

Also the game still runs like a snail so I'm not that eager to try these changes out.

Hide 3D Unity games
Ignore 3D Unity games
Do not install 3D Unity games

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You can disable something related to gender in the options ;d Maybe it was only the leader's gender.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
You can disable that in the options.
Are you sure this is included in the base game? The Mohawk Games Community Manager (I think) created a mod for this: https://oldworld.old.mod.io/gender-limited-roles , which is still a bit limited because women keep getting these useless Commander & Tactician archetypes that I'd like to see blocked from them. Not sure if Court Soldiers and other event characters can still be women.
This is what I need to actually buy this game.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

How is it immersion breaking? If female was talented and skilled as general, she was one of generals in the army. At least she was in HQ.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik

How is it immersion breaking? If female was talented and skilled as general, she was one of generals in the army. At least she was in HQ.
Since you've never met a female in your life, at least open a history book. I'm embarrassed to share the Vatnik tag with such a retard.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Couldn't find a thread for this game that just popped on my Steam. I haven't played it but people are describing it as Civilization meets Crusader Kings. Apparently it's made by the Civ 4 Lead Designer, Soren Johnson, whose name also pops up for the game Offworld Trading Company (which I also haven't played).

Seems to have positive reviews, has anyone tried it yet?

combat-1024x576.png

mani_event-1024x576.png

exploring_event-1024x576.png

Tech-Tree-1024x576.png

ETA: There's a button on their main webpage that says "Influencer Key Request", maybe we can deceive them into releasing a copy for the Codex's Twitch stream.

Last edited:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
It is a perfectly fine game if you are still into Civ-likes. The Order system is arguably more meaningful mechanically than the characters, though they do add flavor. I got it free on Epic iirc, it was a one year Epic exclusive, that's why it is out so late on Steam.

I wouldn't say the characters operate on the level of Crusader Kings, actually. Maybe halfway there. And it is all relevant mechanics and no nonsense or memes. Actually they are more similar to Shadow Empire leaders IMO.

Victor1234

Educated
There's one for Offworld as well:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...conomic-rts-from-the-designer-of-civ-4.87602/

Speaking of this one though, it's funny how if any strategy game has characters in it, in any form, game articles will say it's like/inspired by Crusader Kings. Truly the Paradox PR machine is well oiled.
Total War had characters a decade or more before CK2 released!

As did Sword of Aragon (1989), King of Dragon Pass (1999), etc. That's the point. PI has the game reviewers well trained these days (or they're just brain dead morons who think strategy games = PI + Civ).

I've often thought if I ever made a strategy game, I'd sign with PI as publisher just to get on their hype train, because they do have an undeniable talent for getting paying retards excited about nothing. Then I remember what happens to any game they publish/acquire (Prison Architect being the biggest example) and realize it's a bad strategy.

3 others

Scholar
While the game hasn't been a monumental commercial success, they're still regularly updating the game and grinding out some DLC releases. An upcoming DLC has a few scenarios and a new playable Kushite kingdom.

The original Greek scenarios weren't anything special but a new empire to play with is always nice.

Now that I have a relatively fresh PC, Old World is playable, but even though every other update changelog lists "performance improvements" in it, I'm still in disbelief how this game with its relatively modest graphical presentation can be such a resource hog. That's okay, I'll still keep playing this garbage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom