Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

On the shoulders of giants: a new multiple choices LP!

Curufinwe

Learned
Post time is coming around and it looks like we're having a tie again. Voting is still open for now.

Oh, by the way. For those who change their vote during the day, do me a favor and edit your first vote's post, either putting in the most recent decision or cancelling the older ones altogether. It's pretty annoying having to note down who voted what to avoid messing up. Thanks. :p

Curufinwe

Learned
Alright then. Tie-break it is again, with 7-3-7 as the voting tally. Next person voting either for A or C takes it all!

Cassidy

Arcane
Switching my vote for oldfags rule then.

:obviously:

C

Wisdom and intelligence are better than Strength and Dexterity for leading a people. Screw the newfags who have faster reflexes for playing POPAMOLE hunting games.

:decline:

Curufinwe

Learned
Alright then. Thanks to Cassidy betraying the true ideals of democracy, C wins. :p

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3274447199_a6f6f3ac7c.jpg

In the end the weight of wisdom and experience prevailed over the reasons of the vocal youngs. The majority sided with the elders, and a tribal council was established.

Time passed, and the endless pursuit of the zebra herd kept on, endlessly, the great rock on the horizon still growing larger and nearer.

One day, something happened that deeply affected all of us. An argument erupted between two young, hot-headed hunters. Arguing escalated to shouting, shouting to blows, blows to clubs, until one of the two struck down the other. Man, for the first time, had killed man. The tribe was at a loss on how to react to this horrifying event.

The family of the killed clamored: 'Leave the killer to us. We will strike him down for what he has done to our son, to our brother, he has to pay'
Some of the hunters made a different proposal: 'The young man clearly shows a killing intent superior to the norm. Although we can understand the thirst for revenge, this is a resource the tribe should exploit. He will pay by taking on the most hazardous enterprises'
Other hunters took a middle-ground position: 'This is a deed that must not go unpunished. Like a frenzied animal, this man is a danger for the tribe. He should be left alone in the plains, cast out from the tribe, or this will happen again'

So, what will the newly instated tribal council decide?

A: Let the family of the victim exact their revenge on the murderer;
B: Use the killer instinct of the assassin for the good of the tribe;
C: Abandon the murderer to his own devices in the plains: he is too dangerous to be kept with us.

Update will be at the usual hour, get voting!

Cassidy

Arcane
C - Exile. Letting them in to spread their taint will later bring ITZ to the civilization this tribe will one day become, while revenge will promote similar traits.

Vernydar

Learned
C

An old councilmember addresses a small group of tribesmen
"Brethren! We must cut off this rotten branch from our tribe! Let us abandon this monster to slow death in the plains! Alone, he will surely have a slow, painful death, and he shall not bother us anymore.
If we keep this sort of people amongst us, the next generations will grow wicked and get tainted.
Likewise, if we let the family of the victim take revenge, THEY will be the one to be tainted by such a horrible deed! No, while their desire for revenge is understandable, this must not happen!
Let the savage beasts and the harsh day and night on the open grass be the ones to kill this wretch!"

Esquilax

Arcane
Gay. We've gone completely soft - if we were going to go for a calmer, more peaceful, egalitarian society, why move into a fucking mountain in the first place? Hindsight is always 20/20 I suppose, but we probably should have gone near the sea, in retrospect. How do we plan on growing food on a big rock?

Wisdom and intelligence are better than Strength and Dexterity for leading a people. Screw the newfags who have faster reflexes for playing POPAMOLE hunting games.

Senility tends to impair one's judgment. The leader in question during the last update wasn't just a big brute. It was somebody strong physically, but also intelligent and capable of commanding respect - i.e. an absolute, but competent, ruler. We could have had a fiery, creative, and youthful Alexander the Great leading our tribe to glory, goddamnit! Now we've got a whole bunch of Ronald Reagans calling the shots.

EDIT: Actually, I am liking B more and more. The punishment for murder is to be sent on the most suicidal and brutal mission possible for the good of the tribe. B it is.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
C

Senility tends to impair one's judgment. The leader in question during the last update wasn't just a big brute. It was somebody strong physically, but also intelligent and capable of commanding respect - i.e. an absolute, but competent, ruler. We could have had a fiery, creative, and youthful Alexander the Great leading our tribe to glory, goddamnit!
Until he dies at 30 of dysentery and is replaced by gonzo, the trisomic warrior prince.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
B - There's no point in wasting a perfectly capable hunter, let him face the most dangerous tasks as punishment. It's almost a death sentence, but we will profit greatly from it and he is given a fair chance to fight for his life. Even if we abandon him he might still pose a threat to us in numerous ways, and to kill him for justice would be pointless.

Ever since the elders got in command our tribe has gone to shit. At this rate we won't get to make human sacrifices nor conquer other tribes in any foreseeable future. Should have kept the old farts away from the steering wheel while you could.

Vernydar

Learned
Gay. We've gone completely soft - if we were going to go for a calmer, more peaceful, egalitarian society, why move into a fucking mountain in the first place? Hindsight is always 20/20 I suppose, but we probably should have gone near the sea, in retrospect. How do we plan on growing food on a big rock?

Well, I'd say it's much too early to think we're moving towards a calmer, more peaceful, egalitarian society. It's still the very beginning of the LP, and anything can happen. For example a lot of FUN things (Dwarf fortress copyrighted) can happen anytime. Besides, rather that calmer and peaceful, I prefer to call it lawful and controlled. Think of the Roman empire way. You do not need be a raving band of lunatics to be a military power, if that's what you want.

Anyway, we're still starting out, I'm sure we will all be surprised a lot of times by the turn of events.

Regarding your other concern about the food, I think many chose the mountain for the possibility of getting our hands on metal and rock. Even a rock spear, or a rock axe, would be a HUGE improvement. We're still using wooden clubs you know.... And a mountain.. is more defensible should the need arise.

I also hope to find a river there, we have almost no water, and fresh water is essential for growing. And also that could mean SOME fishing, if it's a decently sized river..

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, there are bad times ahead. Hunters/gatherers will be fundamental. So, you might ask why am i expelling this douchebag?

Because hunters will be fundamental, and he's a murderer, and he's gonna be put in situations where he can gain a lot of glory if he stays (which is almost a narrative law in this situation, imagine the anti-climax).

See? I'm thinking like a old man already. I also want the council thinking of things like shelter and food and avalanches instead of "am i going to be more distant from the fire to give the great hunter and his friends status?", which is the other side of the coin of what the douchebag will be thinking.

oscar

Arcane
B, give out punishments that actually do some fucking good for the tribe. Plus we may have a Hercules and the Twelve Labours type guy.

I don't like this rule by seniority, since age to me appears to have exactly zero correlation with wisdom or intelligence. In addition associating power with age promotes cowardice and doesn't reward the ambitious and bold (why bother doing something grand or daring when you'll gain power anyway if you just play things safe and don't die?). Fuck old people.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I'm gonna have to go with c, don't want to make it seem like we're not only condoning a murderer, but rewarding him for it by giving him one of the more exciting jobs.We've got to draw a line somewhere. Edit: Flip-flopped to B

kazgar

Arcane
Worried that B will lead to tensions with the family and those on the victims side, which may flare up again in worse ways down the track. But its seems a tougher bunch of choices than previous decisions. Going to have to go with C.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
don't want to make it seem like we're not only condoning a murderer, but rewarding him for it by giving him one of the more exciting jobs.
If he likes danger as much as you say he will be happier than a pig in shit if he is merely banished.

Cassidy

Arcane
There was no concept of justice and punishment between primitive peoples, only convenience for the tribe, and a person like that is most convenient very far away from the rest.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
If he likes danger as much as you say he will be happier than a pig in shit if he is merely banished.
That is, of course, assuming he'll survive for long on his own.
He'll be happy either way, it's just with C we'll no longer have his unstable influence splitting the tribe apart. Keeping him around is essentially telling the rest of the impulsive, hot-headed morons in the tribe "Hey guys, you're allowed to bash your neighbour over the head with a rock! Not only that, but we'll give you a fucking promotion for it!" And last time I checked, we ain't a Klingon society.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
That is, of course, assuming he'll survive for long on his own.
He'll be happy either way, it's just with C we'll no longer have his unstable influence splitting the tribe apart. Keeping him around is essentially telling the rest of the impulsive, hot-headed morons in the tribe "Hey guys, you're allowed to bash your neighbour over the head with a rock! Not only that, but we'll give you a fucking promotion for it!" And last time I checked, we ain't a Klingon society.
Promotion? He'll likely die during the first week of his new job and I doubt he'll be happy with either outcome. The only difference between them is that we benefit from one of them. If we send him away we have lost not only one but two able hunters, is that really an desirable outcome?

Kz3r0

Arcane
B, give out punishments that actually do some fucking good for the tribe. Plus we may have a Hercules and the Twelve Labours type guy.

I don't like this rule by seniority, since age to me appears to have exactly zero correlation with wisdom or intelligence. In addition associating power with age promotes cowardice and doesn't reward the ambitious and bold (why bother doing something grand or daring when you'll gain power anyway if you just play things safe and don't die?). Fuck old people.
The Roman Empire wasted millions, literally, of young and bold barbarians, fuck teenagers.
I have another proposal, let him become the slave of the family's victim, from now on he should provide food for them and protect them as his own, failing to do so will mean death penalty through stoning carried on from the whole tribe, conversely, if the family's victim will exact revenge on him they will be expelled as a whole.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
Promotion? He'll likely die during the first week of his new job and I doubt he'll be happy with either outcome. The only difference between them is that we benefit from one of them. If we send him away we have lost not only one but two able hunters, is that really an desirable outcome?
From the way you describe it, keeping him provides no real benefit either since he'll die before he'd get anything good done. Supposing he does dislike it, then there's nothing stopping him from running away anyways, maybe sneaking off in the night and braining a few of us in our sleep as revenge. This ain't exactly guantanamo bay. And why have we jumped to the assumption that this person is an 'able' hunter? All that we know about him so far is that he's hot-headed and impulsive, neither are desirable traits for a hunter tasked with providing food for the tribe's survival. Sure, he may have the potential to become a greater hunter due to his greater killing intent, but he probably won't be able to reach that potential if we give him all the most dangerous jobs and he gets mauled to death in the first week. And suppose that maybe, maybe, he survives. Then he becomes an icon to all the young idiots in the tribe and undermines the elder's authority. Kicking him out both pleases the family of the other hunter and sends out a message to the rest of the tribe that murder will not be tolerated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom