Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Open Call for Reviews

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
felipepepe - Please contact Lucky Day on the Watch - this guy knows everything about the real old games and is a good NWN modder.

Last edited:

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
As you might have probably already guessed I will do Fate: Gates of Dawn. It will take some time though, I surely won't play through the entire game for that review but I need to refresh my memories a little. What's the deadline on the reviews?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
As you might have probably already guessed I will do Fate: Gates of Dawn. It will take some time though, I surely won't play through the entire game for that review but I need to refresh my memories a little. What's the deadline on the reviews?
I'm not in a rush, but would be cool if you could get them done in a month or so. Apparently the internet outside the Codex & Watch isn't taking this seriously, so I intent to collect like 50 pages and release a preview in a month or so, with MCA's and Sawyer's reviews in as well.

Then again, maybe it's better this way... I know the people that are asking for reviews are the ones really interested. And hey, we're over 20% already. :D

BTW, if you think you need to, you can use 2 pages for your review. ;)

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm not in a rush, but would be cool if you could get them done in a month or so. Apparently the internet outside the Codex & Watch isn't taking this seriously, so I intent to collect like 50 pages and release a preview in a month or so, with MCA's and Sawyer's reviews in as well.

Then again, maybe it's better this way... I know the people that are asking for reviews are the ones really interested. And hey, we're over 20% already. :D

BTW, if you think you need to, you can use 2 pages for your review. ;)

Thanks for the answer, will look that I'll get it done in a month then. Also good to know about the 2 page option, might be that 2000 characters are not enough for it - but we'll see. I'd mail the developer for a quote on his game but I fear that's not possible - he's dead (died before he could release Fate 2 which he was working on :x)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I want to do "casual" game. So I could write Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

Fable too if no-one picks that up.

felipepepe

I'll take Exile if it's still empty, one of my favorite games (and premises) of all time.

I could do STALKER. Since it says you want the mods and sequels mentioned, I'll need two pages for it.
:greatjob:

Remenber that I can add infoboxes and the likes as well to the review page. So, for example, you can write about Exile I, mention Exile 2 & 3 on the review text and make a separate infobox talking about how it was remade, into Avernum, and then Avernum: Escape from the Pit.

Same thing for mods on STALKER, they don't need to be on the main text, can be a separate box on the side, where you list 2-3 Mods and decribe them.

Umm. I'd like to do VtMB if it hasn't been stolen from me taken yet.
Sorry, but I asked Wesp5, the guy modding it since 1803, to do it. :|

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Too bad Chaos Strikes Back didn't make the list, since that is probably the game I'm most passionate about. Although checking out the Top 70 List article on the front page I see I already did a pretty passionate review of Dungeon Master. Maybe you could use that?

Other games that not "everybody" has played I could review that don't have reviewers assigned yet:

Lords of Midnight

The Bard's Tale

Knights of Legend (although it is starting to fade from my memory). Dont expect a positive review, though. This game is the idiot savant of cRPGs.

Black Crypt (already mentioned it in my DM review)

FRUA. I've played most of the older (pre 1997) modules and many of the newer ones, so I could help making a list of recommened modules. I've become more and more convinced that unlike in the Gold Box games enemies have a global +2 or so modifier to many of their dice rolls, and especially to the initiative rolls, so my enthusiasm for FRUA has cooled a bit.

The Legacy: Realm of Terror. I think there are others, like Crooked Bee who is even more passionate about this game than me, though.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wish Black Cat was still around so she could review The Legacy. I could give it a try, though - I love that game.

I'm going to need more than a month for all the reviews I already have lined up, though. :P

Zeriel

Arcane
Zeriel You could also maybe take Might and Magic X. Sceptic's a bit too verbose for this. :P

I didn't even notice the 2014 stuff. Anyway, I'd rather someone else reviewed X if at all possible, there are so many more interesting games on that list that I saw for me to review if they aren't grabbed, stuff like Quest for Glory I, Soulbringer (LOVE this gem), Demise, etc.

felipepepe

If you are including stuff like Knights of Xentar, I'd argue for the inclusion of Alchemy Meister: God Captor, unless KoX was chosen purely for its historical place, romance/hentai faggotry aside it is a really good game and an exemplar of the Shining Force style on the PC (which, needless to say, is almost unheard of outside of weird multiplayer titles like Wesnoth).

Then again, guess the list is already pretty overwhelming.

Clammy

Barely Literate
Saw a post about this on 4chan.

Seems pretty rad, interested in reading it. If this was a thing for JRPGs though, man, I'd be all over that.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'd like to go for Pool of Radiance and Ultima 4. I've done smaller reviews of Pool of Radiance a couple of times, and it's still clear in my mind. It's been a little longer since I got into Ultima 4, but really who could ever forget that awesome game?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
felipepepe

I'm going to replay HR to get my review right. I've only played the original game sans Missing Link so far. I own both Missing Link and the Director's Cut now. How do you want me to treat these for the review? Should I replay the original and just focus on it. Play the DC and treat it as the canonical version?

Also, I'm thinking for my review I want to write an essay about set pieces and how HR did an awesome job with them. Is this acceptable that I don't do a "comprehensive" review of the game?

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
felipepepe

Will take Dungeon Siege, KotOR 2 and The Last Remnant if no one else wants them. I want to do a writeup on Geneforge as well, but I've only played G5 and I don't think I would be able to do a proper writeup of the original (and the series in general) in a month. Shame JES is doing one on Darklands, but it's for the best. :)

I'll also take Dragon Age 2 if you can't find a better writer to do it.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
If you are including stuff like Knights of Xentar, I'd argue for the inclusion of Alchemy Meister: God Captor
It's in, but in a separate fan-translation section at the end of the book, with stuff like Chinese Paladin, Labyrinth of Touhou, Generation Xth, Legend of Cao Cao, etc...

I'm going to replay HR to get my review right. I've only played the original game sans Missing Link so far. I own both Missing Link and the Director's Cut now. How do you want me to treat these for the review? Should I replay the original and just focus on it. Play the DC and treat it as the canonical version?
Focus on the core game. IIRC the main difference from the Director's Cut is how they redid the boss fights, so just mention that... "the first release had horrible boss fights that were pure action (they were outsourced to a different developer), but luckily those were fully redone for the Director's Edition". Missing Link only mention if you find it important, like "Be sure to check the The Missing Link DLC, as it provides a nice closure for pending issues"... or whatever you think.

Also, I'm thinking for my review I want to write an essay about set pieces and how HR did an awesome job with them. Is this acceptable that I don't do a "comprehensive" review of the game?
That sounds... dangerous! :lol:

Please be a bit more specific.

I'd like to go for Pool of Radiance and Ultima 4. I've done smaller reviews of Pool of Radiance a couple of times, and it's still clear in my mind. It's been a little longer since I got into Ultima 4, but really who could ever forget that awesome game?
I was holding U4 for the Brainy Gamer, but he just replied that he hasn't the time to write anything (but allowed me to use his awesome articles!), so go ahead on both... careful thought, those are probably some of the hardest games in the list to write about. ;)

Too bad Chaos Strikes Back didn't make the list, since that is probably the game I'm most passionate about. Although checking out the Top 70 List article on the front page I see I already did a pretty passionate review of Dungeon Master. Maybe you could use that?
I really like how that review starts. Would be nice if you could expand it, and remove stuff like release date and such, that will be on the header. And while Chaos isn't in as a separate entry, DM has 2 pages and you most definitely should talk about Chaos on it. :wink: :wink:

Lords of Midnight
Yes, please. :)

FRUA. I've played most of the older (pre 1997) modules and many of the newer ones, so I could help making a list of recommened modules. I've become more and more convinced that unlike in the Gold Box games enemies have a global +2 or so modifier to many of their dice rolls, and especially to the initiative rolls, so my enthusiasm for FRUA has cooled a bit.
Jaesun , would you do FRUA? If not, I'll let our blue friend here take it.

BTW, did you gave away Baldur's Gate II to that Watch guy that played it 50 times?

Will take Dungeon Siege, KotOR 2 and The Last Remnant if no one else wants them.
Great, they are yours.

I'll also take Dragon Age 2 if you can't find a better writer to do it.
No cursing, ok? ;)

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Focus on the core game. IIRC the main difference from the Director's Cut is how they redid the boss fights, so just mention that... "the first release had horrible boss fights that were pure action (they were outsourced to a different developer), but luckily those were fully redone for the Director's Edition". Missing Link only mention if you find it important, like "Be sure to check the The Missing Link DLC, as it provides a nice closure for pending issues"... or whatever you think.
DC is supposed to have improved AI as well. Well the AI from Missing Link, which was supposedly upgraded.

Also, I won't have the stupid pre-order DLC balance breakers. God, video games are a mess.

That sounds... dangerous! :lol:

Please be a bit more specific.
I'm not sure how specific I can be without actually writing the thing, but I'll try to explain my thinking.

When I think about a game, the most important thing to me is what was cool about the game. What can you point to the game did better than or more uniquely than other games. Human Revolution was mediocre to average in every aspect except 2. One is the cool dialog system they came up with (but then didn't take advantage of). The other is what I'm calling "set pieces", by which I mean semi-scripted connected sequences. The high point of the game, and possibly AAA gaming in this entire console generation was the crashed helicopter set piece. The way choices and consequences and role playing naturally derived from the situation using the base gameplay systems. To a lesser extent saving the hostages in the first mission, and escaping from the slums also qualify. There might be more, I need to play it again to verify.

So I want to write mainly about how good those situations are, and why they are so good. How all the elements came together to let the player actually play a role, and then having consequences for it.

I also want to contrast it with other "cinematic" games where the gameplay is actually more limited and thus worse, and with the original Deus Ex which generally avoided set pieces by just giving the player a sandboxish situation to create his own experience with (avoiding assigning a value to either one here, just noting the difference).

If you want a more comprehensive overall picture of the game, I can do that, it's your book. It's just the most interesting thing I can think to write about with the game.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom