Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Management / Sim OpenTTD 1.11.0 Released - now also available on Steam!

index.php

Arcane
OpenTTD 1.11.0

Another year, another release. Who would have guessed ;)

1a2d20ca0f7433d11d972e6e8076f5ed65603d60.png

With 1.11 we bring you a lot of new features which you hopefully enjoy as much as we did creating them:

• Performance improvements - Fast-Forward is now so fast, there is a setting to rate limit it (on by default).
  • Improved World Generation GUI - 100% rainforest maps are now available if you so request.
  • Towns can now grow with tunnels too - finally they can escape the hills!
  • Filter on name in many more windows - for those that enjoy playing with one too many NewGRFs.
  • Plant trees with a brush in Scenario Editor - it is like painting, but with trees.
  • A new titlegame for this release by Chrnan6710, who won this year’s competition.
And that is not all. We also fixed over 100 bugs and added / changed / improved over 100 more things. As always, check the changelog for a detailed overview.

Owh, and we are also now available on Steam.

So, to stay in the spirit of the current world situation: if your friends ask you why you are not visiting, tell them it is because OpenTTD 1.11 just released ;)

first review i saw
Tip: To improve passenger / mail / resource coverage around a town or city you can link your stations by holding Ctrl before placing your station type. Then choose the first station name instead of creating a separate one. This will also allow your Buses/Mail Vans/Trains/Ships & Planes to share passengers / mail / resources and greatly increase the amount of traffic, this helps a lot in the early game to get the money coming in.
this is exactly why i'm not going to touch it. the interface is horriterribad, no mechanics should be hidden or obscure, something like this is an unforgivable mortal sin, and i can't think of how much similar shit might be hidden inside the game. it's time to have a brand new one, there's only so much that can be updated and upgraded, and i'm too old to put up with such crap.

index.php

Arcane
OpenTTD 1.11.1

We present the first bugfix release of the 1.11 release series!

Along with our usual bug fixes, we’ve broken our own rules and included a couple of features in this release - a vsync option which should hopefully fix screen-tearing seen by some people, and volume controls in the Options window (with better defaults).

Notable bug fixes include improved scaling of a few windows, and better detection of faulty GL-renders which should avoid some crashes on startup due to bad video renderer.

See the changelog for more.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I will say that this is a fucking great game and anyone who has even a slight interest in simulation has to give this game a go. It might take a few hours of learning the basics, but it is worth it.

Narushima

Cipher
first review i saw
Tip: To improve passenger / mail / resource coverage around a town or city you can link your stations by holding Ctrl before placing your station type. Then choose the first station name instead of creating a separate one. This will also allow your Buses/Mail Vans/Trains/Ships & Planes to share passengers / mail / resources and greatly increase the amount of traffic, this helps a lot in the early game to get the money coming in.
this is exactly why i'm not going to touch it. the interface is horriterribad, no mechanics should be hidden or obscure, something like this is an unforgivable mortal sin, and i can't think of how much similar shit might be hidden inside the game. it's time to have a brand new one, there's only so much that can be updated and upgraded, and i'm too old to put up with such crap.
You can also simply build a train station, then a bus station touching it. They'll be considered as one single station, and you can then use buses to transfer passengers from the inner city to that train station.
And even if you don't do that, it's easy enough to make money in the game.

I've played a lot of OpenTTD, it's great.

Narushima

Cipher
I recently realised you don't have to have square maps, so I made a long rectangular one. I haven't done much on it, but it's rather fun.
I've had to heavily compress this screenshot, since the original was 70 Mb, and the host apparently doesn't want to display it full-size (34689x17495 px):

Narushima

Cipher
I played a long game on a great (and very large) Europe map. I centralised a few resources and linked every capital with high-speed lines.
I have 310 trains, 198 road vehicles, 137 boats and 60 planes, close to 59,592 tiles of monorail, 19 airports, 6,645 road tiles, and a yearly profit of about 14 billion Euros.

Here's a few images (ugly jpgs, otherwise they weigh a ton).

The area around Paris, where many lines cross:
AK5xe0J.jpg
I'm sending all the coal and iron ore on the map to an ironworks near Madrid (the resulting metal is transported back up to a factory in Northern France):
swMPkLl.jpg
All the oil in the North Sea and from many oil wells on land is gathered near Amsterdam. This is a shot of the city, its docks and the canal that the tankers use to bring the oil to the train station further south:
UA2n0oc.jpg
And all those millions of litres of oil are then sent to a refinery near Budapest, where they are turned into chemicals, then on to the same factory as for the metal. All that ends up as goods, which are taken to Paris, for about €50,000,000 per trainload:
H6iBxt0.jpg

Last edited:

index.php

Arcane
OpenTTD 12.0

The time is finally here: 12.0 is officially released!

12.0 is our multiplayer update, where we made playing together as easy as possible. No more port-forwarding or other stuff: start a server and ask your friend(s) to join. We take care of the rest. For more details, please read our blog: New Multiplayer Experience

Besides this major update, 12.0 also comes with some other nice features:

• Display icon/text whether vehicle is lost.
  • Moving camera on title screen background.
  • Hide block signals in GUI by default (you can toggle this in the settings).
  • Raise the maximum NewGRF limit to 255.
To name just a few. And as always, we made sure to include tons (over 85!) of bug fixes in this release.

A special thanks goes out to our translators: they translated the game in full for 29 (!) languages.

We hope you enjoy this new version, and make sure to try it out with a friend!

first review i saw
I'm sure they're heartbroken not to get your 0 dollars.

The interface is pretty good, you can drag and drop everything and move it to your heart's content.

Here, I'll ruin starcraft for you. If you hold shift you can add units to your selection. Holy shit.
Also, in windows, if you press ctrl+a, it will select everything. What an unforgivable mortal sin, key combinations.

Perkel

Arcane
The interface is pretty good, you can drag and drop everything and move it to your heart's content.
Here, I'll ruin starcraft for you. If you hold shift you can add units to your selection. Holy shit.
Also, in windows, if you press ctrl+a, it will select everything. What an unforgivable mortal sin, key combinations.

Sorry but you are fucking retarded.

He doesn't talk about keyboard shortcut you idiot. He talks about how UI and game design is fucked up. Yeah i knot this is TTD just open + options but maybe they should give by default improvements to experience ?

Here is an example:
By default game doesn't fuckign care where you deliver goods and people. In order to enable cargo/passanger destination you have to go into pretty hidden setting. That fucking thing should be enabled by default !

Another:
If you release few trains or busses on the road they WILL clog and go one after another. In order to make busses/trains spread out evenly you have to go through timetable creation which is complicated and i spend litearlly hours trying to figure it out.

Meanwhile all modern tycon game BY DEFAULT have auto timetables that work.

As much as i love OPENTTD there are just better transport tycoons to play now without spending hours trying to configure OTTD to be remotely playable.

Open source usually is benefit but it can become curse as well.

Sorry but you are fucking retarded.

He doesn't talk about keyboard shortcut you idiot. He talks about how UI and game design is fucked up. Yeah i knot this is TTD just open + options but maybe they should give by default improvements to experience ?

Here is an example:
By default game doesn't fuckign care where you deliver goods and people. In order to enable cargo/passanger destination you have to go into pretty hidden setting. That fucking thing should be enabled by default !

Another:
If you release few trains or busses on the road they WILL clog and go one after another. In order to make busses/trains spread out evenly you have to go through timetable creation which is complicated and i spend litearlly hours trying to figure it out.

Meanwhile all modern tycon game BY DEFAULT have auto timetables that work.

As much as i love OPENTTD there are just better transport tycoons to play now without spending hours trying to configure OTTD to be remotely playable.

Open source usually is benefit but it can become curse as well.
He said this tip was what instantly turned him off, learn to read retard.
Tip: To improve passenger / mail / resource coverage around a town or city you can link your stations by holding Ctrl before placing your station type.

Yeah the game isn't perfect, what the fuck do you want it's free. But that particular complaint was fucking dumb. It's too complex because someone suggested linking stations.

The timetable creation is straightforward, and since the entire game is about, you know, transporting cargo, it makes sense that's up to you to manage. Sorry it took you literal hours to figure out, some games aren't for everyone, have you tried Candy Crush?

Perkel

Arcane
Game is free therefore is good. No game is good regardless if it is free or not.

"He said this tip was what instantly turned him off, learn to read retard."

also you are looking at picture missing elephant in the room. As in Linking should be default position rather than making everything separate.

Game is free therefore is good. No game is good regardless if it is free or not.

"He said this tip was what instantly turned him off, learn to read retard."

also you are looking at picture missing elephant in the room. As in Linking should be default position rather than making everything separate.
Way too many syllables to be a haiku. It should be like this:

Free game not good game
Tip turned him off learn to read
Elephant picture

As an added bonus, on top of now being poetry worthy of a samurai, the words make no less sense than when you posted them.

Narushima

Cipher
By default game doesn't fuckign care where you deliver goods and people.
Is that a bad thing? When you're just starting to play the game, it's better that some things are easier. Later on, you can turn that option on.

The timetable creation is straightforward
That's not true. I've played the game a lot and I never managed to make that work. But then again, it's pretty much pointless, so whatever.

Perkel

Arcane
Is that a bad thing? When you're just starting to play the game, it's better that some things are easier. Later on, you can turn that option on.

Actually it is harder and worse for start without it. Because without it you can't create route with multiple stations. You have to create separate routes because if you don't create separate routes all of your cargo and passengers will be released at first station train/bus will arrive.

The timetable creation is straightforward
That's not true. I've played the game a lot and I never managed to make that work. But then again, it's pretty much pointless, so whatever.[/QUOTE]

It is not pointless by default game comes with change to break. After enough time your busses trains will be moving in one combined pack instead of spread out.

Narushima

Cipher
Because without it you can't create route with multiple stations.

Of course you can. You can very easily bypass stations (just lay a track that goes around it), or even give your train the order to go through a station wihtout stopping (amthough you should avoid doing that, it' not great future-proofing).

After enough time your busses trains will be moving in one combined pack instead of spread out.
I don't know how you're playing, but that shouldn't happen, no. You probably need to tell trains and vehicles to fully load at stations.

You seem to think it's basically impossible to play the game. If you look at my screenshots above, it's pretty obvious that the game works well and can be played, since I'm not getting any of the issues you mention. And I don't even use timetables!

Perkel

Arcane
Of course you can. You can very easily bypass stations

Bypassing station is not multiple station route.

By default if you have ABCD route and you have say 100 passangers in A then when your train will reach B then ALL 100 people will leave at B. So if you have megalopolis with 10 000 pops and you have 2000 people on station and B is village with 30 people in it. All 2000 of them will leave at that 30 people village and none will get to C or D.

If you actually change options to get proper distributions then if you have router ABCD where A and D are big cities and BC are villages then only small part of people will elave at B and C while most will leave at either A or D which is what it should be instead of what is currently by default.

index.php

Arcane

OpenTTD 13.0

Breaking news: OpenTTD 13.0 is now available! Depending on your perspective, we’re either two months early for our usual April 1st release, or a bit tardy for the Christmas 2022 release we intended.
We think the wait has been worth it. This is one of the largest releases we’ve done in several years, with numerous features and improvements covering the user interface, gameplay features, and modding extensions for NewGRF and Game Script creators.
Some of the highlights are:
  • Variable interface scaling at whatever size you want (not just 2x and 4x), with optional chunky bevels for that retro feel. This includes better automatic scaling when using HiDPI or mixed DPI setups.
  • Direct access to NewGRF/AI/GS settings from the new game window.
  • Various small tweaks and improvements to several windows.
  • NewGRFs can now provide engine variants that are shown hierarchically in the purchase list.
  • Multi-track level crossings to keep road vehicles from stopping in the middle of the crossing.
  • Custom league tables for GameScripts.
  • More natural rivers which get wider as they flow downstream.
  • And much more, which can be seen in the changelog or the previous release announcements!
In addition to these features and improvements, we’ve fixed lots of bugs. (If you played with the RC2 testing release, most were fixed before then. See the changelog for full details.)

index.php

Arcane

OpenTTD 14.0

ZFcMEapQ_o.png

Welcome to 14.0!
OpenTTD’s first release was in March of 2004.Now twenty years later, we are proud to present to you: release 14.0.
And boy, what a release it is.Do I dare to say: this has been the biggest release yet?
Sometimes people try to tell us OpenTTD is dead.Well, 14.0 shows you it really isn’t.There are so many new goodies in 14.0, that I don’t even know where to start!Let’s go over a few, just to get you a feel for what to expect when you launch OpenTTD 14.0.
Read more about our birthday celebration here.

When one day isn’t a day

settings.png

It is now possible to make the calendar time walk slower, up to a point it is frozen.This doesn’t influence vehicle movement at all, nor the amount of goods transported, town growth, etc.But it does influence vehicle introduction dates, inflation, and aging.
With this feature, we hope to enable different game-plays, where people want to have more time to build out their empire before vehicles expire, inflation gets too big, etc.
A brand new day!For some a bit slower than others.
Read more about this new feature in the devblog.

Ship Pathfinder

region_debug.png

The ship pathfinder got some great love.It is now capable of directing ships over vast distances without the need for buoys.In fact, one could say, you don’t need buoys anymore at all.The ships will still find their way!
Finally, no more “Ship is lost” non-sense.This enables ship-only games.

Unbunching

unbunch.png

Do you also hate when busses start hugging each other on a route?And you did your best to ensure you send them out the depot with a good distance between them.But something must have happened down the road, and now they are very close to each other!
Introducing: unbunching.
A new feature that allows you to tell all vehicles in a shared order pool to keep their distance; automatically, done for you.

Social Platform integration

game-options.png

OpenTTD 14.0 allows better integration with Social Platforms.This is totally optional, and has to be installed separately.But once done, OpenTTD can talk to platforms like Steam, Discord and GOG Galaxy.
For now, the functionality is limited: friends can see you play OpenTTD, if you are in a server or not, and what kind of map you are playing.For future versions, we intend to expand on that, making more possible.But, small steps.

Survey support

To finally put a rest to endless debates about what setting is used and which is not, OpenTTD now has an opt-in survey tool built-in.Over time this will allow us, developers, to better understand how OpenTTD is played, so we can better anticipate what will be a hit or a miss.
You can, at any time, opt in or out from the survey.
Read more about this new feature in the devblog

GUI improvements / scalable font

toggle.gif

There has been a huge effort in making all our windows just a tiny bit better.Fixing pixel-errors, moving things around a bit, fixing colouring issues.
But .. not less important, we now also have a built-in scalable font!Zephyris created a real (TTF) font heavily inspired by the sprite font.This means that scaling looks a lot better, especially for zoom levels like 1.5x.
We love it so much, it is the default when you launch the game! (but no worries, you can revert to the sprite font if you really want to).

New players experience

First of all, there is now a Help and Manuals button in-game, that helps you through the basic information of the game.Bringing information closer to the user, and the game more accessible to everyone, has been a path we have been on for a while.
Second, we revised a lot of settings, what their default value should be.Many settings have had their defaults changed, mostly towards enabling modern features by default.
Lastly, we also renamed Cheats to Sandbox.We noticed people were struggling with using “cheats”, as we have been conditioned that cheats in games are bad.But Cheats in OpenTTD context is much more “play how you like” (read: Sandbox).So we renamed it, hopefully making it more clear to new players that it is perfectly okay to use these Sandbox options any time they like.
Hopefully this helps new players get into the game easier.

So much more …

In total OpenTTD 14.0 comes with roughly 40 new features, over 500 bug-fixes, 200 changes, and many many code improvements.
It took us 2,000 commits to get from 13.4 to 14.0, we touched 140,000 lines of code and removed 74,000 of them.This was all done by over 60 contributors.
Interested how this all came together?Check out our blog post explaining it all.
A great thank you to all who contributed, with code or support; it is truly appreciated!Here’s to another twenty years of OpenTTD development!

Arryosha

Learned
Does anyone have experience with Simutrans? Is it worth the effort? The lack of discussion around it and some negative steam reviews makes me think no, but it looks so cool--like a deeper version of openttd.

i gave up on simutrans because it's a game made specifically for simutrans veterans. the game refuses to be understood without some limits or a gigantic enciclopedia. it lets you start the game before you can buy any vehicle, all you can do is watch your money be eroded by taxes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom