Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

X-COM OpenXcom Thread

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by index.php, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Strange Fellow Peculiar Patron Sad Loser

Strange Fellow
    There's another saying as well: modders gonna mod. 600 missions, christ.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. eXalted Prophet

eXalted
    I am playing both knowing that I will probably never finish them but I'm having hell of a good time with them.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    X-Files is way less "modder issue" than Piratez at least. The endgame is the same, you can use the same tactics from OG XCOM once you unlock enough stuff, and you're not forced to micromanage EVERY LITTLE FUCKING COMPONENT! to build power armors and other hi-tech gear.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    How is X-com Files nowadays? Last I played it I quit after shooting Fallout's radscorpions and Diablo 2 abominations for 4 months straight. Does it have better content progression now?

^ Top  
  5. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Much better, I think. Missions are more varied and there's more stuff to research, but the start is still too slow IMO. I usually bend the rules a little to quickly progress to Promotion 2 to unlock proper guns and armor.

^ Top  
  6. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Yeah, I don't really see the point of spending at least 4-6 months doing missions that involve hunting 20 radscorpions with 4 agents. My understanding is that after a year it turns into normal xcom with the usual alien invasion so if half the mod's content is just tedium then I find it hard to pull through.

Think I'll try Hardmode Expansion again. It looks like the modder took some of my advice w/ regards to not making enemies unbreakable (110 bravery) psi-gods (near 100% chance to mind control across the map even with high-psi strength soldiers). Adding more psi power to the AI in "difficulty" mods is basically always the worst idea possible.

^ Top  
  7. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    I think the problem with XCF early game is that the four human factions are too similar at low levels, so it feels like fighting the same bad guys over and over again. Whereas Piratez early game is so varied since you will be fighting rats, ninjas, nazis, robots, yetis etc from day one, and its full of surprises like showing up to a church to beat up believers and finding it full of zombies instead. Also, XCF doesn't start with as many toys as Piratez, so you're always using the same weapons in the same ways.

^ Top  
  8. Luka-boy Arcane

Luka-boy
    Question: Can you update X-Files mid-playthough and get any new released content added seamlessly to the game? I could do that with Piratez but with X-Files it seems like the storylines are an even more important part of the experience and there still are a few ones missing or in progress right now, so I'd like to know it beforehand.

^ Top  
  9. eXalted Prophet

eXalted
    Yes, you can. Just make sure your save game is not during a battle.

The easiest way to update is to make the mod folder a git repository and just do "git pull origin master" before playing.

^ Top  
  10. Yaar Podshipnik Arcane Patron

Yaar Podshipnik
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    if your branch is set up to track origin/master anyway, you can just do `git pull`. Lazyness is a virtue.

^ Top  
  11. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    It also takes forever trying to clear whole maps with 4 guys and little long-ranged firepower without doing suicidally risky stuff like running around until you get shot/a bug sneaks up on you.

If maps were ~1/4th the size of the normal smallest one (so your agents arrive at a single medium size building with some suspects in it), it'd probably be a lot better. It'd also feel a lot more appropriate than needing to invade multiple city blocks.

^ Top  
  12. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Pest extermination missions are still there, but there's more variety for what's worth. I recommend editing a save to get Logistics ASAP, then check what's the fastest way to unlock the Military Envoy, so that you can get a Hummer and then an Helicopter, letting you bring up to 6 agents to missions, including stealth ones.
    Don't do spider missions unless you're a masochistic.
    Try doing an early UFO mission if you have shotguns and knives, the payoff is worth it since you can unlock good armor early. You have until 1999 until the invasion starts "properly", but until then you must deal with cults and other stuff.
    The cults themselves also have variations of terror missions each to spice things up.

Indeed, Piratez is wacky, which means you can end up in a mission where you have no way to win and must tactically retreat. To be fair, the same happens in X-Files-COM.

I do not recommend doing missions with lots of critters until you have the Helicopter. Similar case with the cultist bases, they're not worth doing many until you get the Helicopter or better. As for the mass zombie horde missions, do a few, research until you unlock an Infector to progress the storyline, then avoid/use Debugmode with the rest. They take too long and they're easy once you have good weaponry, not worth the time.
    You can also get zombie bodies (including Infectors) and other creatures with the Land Survey research, letting you skip missions where the aforementioned creatures are already researched.

Lastly but not least, IIRC you eventually unlock a research option to permanently deal with the strange animal hordes.

^ Top  
  13. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Thing is, I can and did do those missions (including taking out a cultist base on superhuman with 4 dudes, bless lighting the map in flares and shooting from the darkness), but the game never progresses. I also constantly lose score and therefore funding if I don't do them. So I don't get what I'm "supposed" to be doing in X-Files. 2 months of bad score and you lose, unless that's changed.

^ Top  
  14. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Average hardmode expansion mission in january

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

(aside from the no losses, usually take 2-4 per mission but I did this one flawless despite only 10 soldiers ready).

• nice nice x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Don't play in Superhuman to begin with. The game doesn't really support it, and the two highest difficulty levels increase enemy numbers to ridiculous amounts.
    At worst you can enter the missions, shoot someone and then bravely retreat to reduce the score penalty. But seriously, don't do Superhuman doods, it's not wort it, and no-one cares about your e-peen.

^ Top  
  16. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    I don't think superhuman alters the number of missions that spawn, only adds some more guys. So you still need to do the same amount of missions, they are just slightly quicker. You still need to explore the whole area and that's what takes the most time. It's not too much a problem of missions being difficult as much as it is them being too numerous. Doing like 10 per month while suffering with 5 scientists who never get things done is torture.

I guess the "land and leave" thing works but it seems so silly.

^ Top  
  17. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    IIRC it does alter the mission spawn to a degree. It makes certain enemies that should show up late appear earlier than normal. Ie: Once the invasion begins, you get Ethereal encounters instead of Sectoids. Adding more enemies does not make missions quicker IMO, as the bad guys hit harder and are more numerous, which may be okay for a cultist mission if you know what you're doing (since the enemy will surrender at some point), but God save you if you're doing an animal/zombie mission.

Theoretically there's the Bughunt Mode that should trigger once one or two enemies remain, which supposedly reveals their location in the minimap. IMO it's just faster to use Debug mode.

The start is slow indeed, but nothing to be done unless you cheat to get more money and build more bases, so that you can have more projects researched at once, or edit your saves to instantly research stuff. You also can do one mission or two of each type and forget the rest. As long as you keep researching and doing the terror missions, you should have enough points to win the month.

It was a standard tactic in OG XCOM when encountering say Chrisalids in a Terror mission. :P

^ Top  
  18. eXalted Prophet

eXalted
    Update:
    XPiratez v.L4 15-Sep-2020 Mad Melee Massacre
    No more "why I can see the enemy but can't shoot him?".

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Does it have a de-weeb mode yet?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Horvatii Unwanted

Unwanted
    DISGUSTING CAUSALIZATION! STREAMFAGGIN!
    if you dont have a window open with fpsview preivew, which autorefreshes, YOU R A CASUAL!
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. geno Learned

geno
    Can someone explain what is that off-centre shooting stuff?

^ Top  
  22. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Guessing its removing the issue where you could see an enemy but not shoot them because your sight came from a different section of the model than your weapon's firing point.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Horvatii Unwanted

Unwanted
    Yeah, what Manatee said.
    Stand 1 tile to a side of a door and look at it at 45 degrees and you wont be able to shoot the purple alien.
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. geno Learned

geno
    Should that fix the issue with trying to shoot throw a window but the game says you haven't a line of fire?

^ Top  
  25. Horvatii Unwanted

Unwanted
    Yeah, depending on how off-center they go.

There is an interesting problem with this new behaviour though, which existed before but now is gonna get a bit worse.
    The accuracy displayed ingame is actually an estimate of the simulated spread of a shot that depends on distance, hieght level and funnily on direction of shot, eg left of right. Its not true accuracy.
    And the estimates fits best (if I remember my math correctly) for center mass of an enemy the size of 8x16 voxels at ~10 tiles distance.
    While in fact, you can shoot at something if you see a single voxel at max view range.
    Cases like that but for long ass range are now more often shootable and will give more misses and make newbies rage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So say you are shooting with 100% acc onto a single visible voxel at 25 tiles distance.
    The max deviation on that shot is 20 voxels horizontally. So your chance to hit a fully exposed alien is 8/20.
    You chance to hit a single voxel is 1/20. But the game displays 100% acc.

Maximum effective accuracy btw is 110 or 111%. At that level your max deviation is 1 voxel. You are guaranteed to hit the target voxel or the one next to it, coin flip. Independent of distance.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.