Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline OSR Games - Official thread

Bara

Arcane
Weird, Matt Finch split from Frog God Games apparently.

Apparently he's starting his own company now called Mythmere Games

It seems like he's taking Swords and Wizardry with him as Mythmere has some S&W products listed there. Frog God Games will be finishing selling what supply they have left of the books they have it seems.

If they make any for S&W going forward it'll be modules and what not if they so choose.

Last edited:

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mythmere Games has a prestigious past. In the late 2000s, it released the first S&W edition, and some of Matt's classic supplements - Tomb of the Iron Gods, the great City Encounters, the beginnings of The Tome of Adventure Design, The Spire of Iron and Crystal, and Eldritch Weirdness, a cool book on alternate magic ideas.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

Sacibengala

Prophet

Holy shit. I assume the italicized text is quoted from the adventure, right? I thought LotFP was supposed to be somehow "adult" but that shit is just juvenile as fuck. Fucking dildos and ball gags. I wouldn't be caught dead owning this turd, let alone running it.
Nah, LotFP was always about this kind of stuff. But sometimes they made it 'tastefully', lol. I really like their boldness, but a lot of time this is what we get.

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
DMed my first Whitehack 3e game today. There's something about virtual tabletops that activate zoomer brains to go zipping around the map revealing everything like they're playing Nethack, which naturally got the party dullard in trouble and somebody else got brought down to zero HP saving his ass. No deaths yet, so that's good. Not sure how to mitigate that beyond obsessive pausing of the game after every move. Maybe simplifying the game map would help? No furniture or objects, so they are forced to stay in place until I describe it? Would seem like a waste of Dungeondraft and FoundryVTT's visual features.

Anyway, how do you guys handle the distribution of XP in AD&D-adjacent games? Split XP evenly for monsters? Gold on an individual or party basis?

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Anyway, how do you guys handle the distribution of XP in AD&D-adjacent games? Split XP evenly for monsters? Gold on an individual or party basis?
I split all xp evenly between all members, they already level at different speeds so I don't see any reason to give them xp at different rates. They can split treasure as they see fit but the xp from gold is always evenly distributed.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DMed my first Whitehack 3e game today. There's something about virtual tabletops that activate zoomer brains to go zipping around the map revealing everything like they're playing Nethack, which naturally got the party dullard in trouble and somebody else got brought down to zero HP saving his ass. No deaths yet, so that's good. Not sure how to mitigate that beyond obsessive pausing of the game after every move. Maybe simplifying the game map would help? No furniture or objects, so they are forced to stay in place until I describe it? Would seem like a waste of Dungeondraft and FoundryVTT's visual features.

Some dms opt to give bonus xp to the nominated leader, the treasurer(loot counter), the cartographer and the MVP(as voted by the players)

SoupNazi

Foundry has walls and doors, so players shouldn't be able to get anywhere you don't want them going at all.

Otherwise, if it's open, I say the best way to teach them is to let them - and then let them die and make new characters.

Bara

Arcane
So apparently with the official Zine Month being moved to tie in with Gen Con for whatever reason a bunch of people doing a community effort "Zimo" Zine Month.

https://www.zinemonth.com/

Not all that interesting so far from that. The Mothership related zines sound alright at least might be a few things worth value but we'll see when they start launching projects

Planer Compass Issue 3 might be good there were at least some ideas I liked from the last two Zines though I'm really uninterested in the classes and first zine adventures were pretty bland.

The House Always Wins for Mothership was one of the ones that seem alright. Though X-crawl or games that run with the concepts like it are a guilty pleasure of mine

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
So far, this seems like the artsier edge of Zinequest. Half-baked "I have an idea" pojects, artwank, lot of insubstantial flimflam. Nothing actually useful for OSR games. I found two projects that were interesting; one of them is a zine of beasts for The Rainy City (which was excellent two Zinequests back), and the other seemed to be a pirate adventure, at least until...

1.jpg

"Nice cover, but where is that adventure?"
"Oh, this is the adventure."

There was a time when I used to consider those barely edited, unplaytested 12-20 page mini-modules flooding DriveThruRPG lazy. Nah. This is lazy.

Morblot

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I have high and highly unfounded hopes for 9 Lives to Valhalla, the "frenetic tabletop RPG about death metal viking cats earning their place in the drinking halls of Valhalla". Boy, it'll be great to be disappointed again.
cat.gif

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
Anybody have any experience with the physical reprints of AD&D 1e from DTRPG? Should I bother investing in the premium color versions?

Morblot

Patron
Anybody have any experience with the physical reprints of AD&D 1e from DTRPG? Should I bother investing in the premium color versions?

Yes, I had the DMG for a while before selling it in favor of a real 80s one. The color version is, AFAIK, printed on a thicker, higher quality paper and is thus the preferred choice. I certainly was happy with the quality.

Be aware that the PDFs most likely still contain some slight errors from the OCR process that WotC will probably never fix.

Trithne

Erudite
Knowing this crowd, it will come with trigger warnings and 3 extra genders.

If this is in reference to the viking cats, it comes with the following:

Something worthy of consideration is the historical context surrounding Norse mythology, and its misuse by fascists and other truly despicable people. This is not a game for those people.

Because apparently they can gatekeep who plays the beer and pretzels RPG about viking cats.

Morblot

Patron

Something worthy of consideration is the historical context surrounding Norse mythology, and its misuse by fascists and other truly despicable people. This is not a game for those people.

Because apparently they can gatekeep who plays the beer and pretzels RPG about viking cats.

I see they bravely hid that little gem in the preview pdf instead of putting it on display on the campaign page...

Still, I suppose it's all pretty mild coming from two Californians in the year 2022. I mean, this is the entirety of the "Tone" section:

Tone

Nine Lives to Valhalla is a vortex of blood, teeth, violence, and death. It is also a game. Before playing, the players should make sure to convey the desired tone of the game, any subjects to avoid, and make it clear that play can be stopped at any time if things are getting out of hand.

This is a game about cats - historical accuracy is not a goal. It is about violence, but not conquest. It is about the fight against those who would invent hierarchies to justify putting some in chains. There is no more glorious fight than that.

So, I dunno, I'm a sucker for cats, so I guess I'm gonna stay on as a backer, unless they go more retard during the campaign.

Trithne

Erudite

I see they bravely hid that little gem in the preview pdf instead of putting it on display on the campaign page...

Still, I suppose it's all pretty mild coming from two Californians in the year 2022. I mean, this is the entirety of the "Tone" section:

Tone

Nine Lives to Valhalla is a vortex of blood, teeth, violence, and death. It is also a game. Before playing, the players should make sure to convey the desired tone of the game, any subjects to avoid, and make it clear that play can be stopped at any time if things are getting out of hand.

This is a game about cats - historical accuracy is not a goal. It is about violence, but not conquest. It is about the fight against those who would invent hierarchies to justify putting some in chains. There is no more glorious fight than that.

So, I dunno, I'm a sucker for cats, so I guess I'm gonna stay on as a backer, unless they go more retard during the campaign.

I mean the game itself has me intrigued, as a beer and pretzels night kinda thing. I've been getting into PbtA games lately, because I just don't have the time to really dedicate to traditional tabletop anymore, and scheduling is such a nightmare with people these days having to navigate around shift work and children, so games more suited to oneshots are more my style now.

But apparently gatekeeping is okay when they do it. I will take pleasure in knowing that even though I don't meet their ridiculous caricature of a nazi, they would probably think I'm one, but I will play their viking cat murder game anyway.

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
Yes, I had the DMG for a while before selling it in favor of a real 80s one. The color version is, AFAIK, printed on a thicker, higher quality paper and is thus the preferred choice. I certainly was happy with the quality.

Be aware that the PDFs most likely still contain some slight errors from the OCR process that WotC will probably never fix.
Got a big paycheck, so I ordered the full set (PH, MM, DMG). Something like four months for all of them to ship. As we Zoomers say, "bruh". Reminds me of how I ordered a copy of Miseries & Misfortunes from Burning Wheel last October and it only shipped yesterday. The PDFs are quite nice though, thank God they're searchable. I'm currently working on converting the spells for my WH3e campaign.

Speaking of my WH3e campaign, I've been playing around with the idea of using a pointcrawl instead of a hexcrawl for overland travel after reading this post, which some of you may be familiar with. I drew up a prettier version of my hex map in Wonderdraft, drew up some location cards and nodes in GIMP, and slapped them into Foundry to make one. I also spent a few hours making a write-up for the rules of this particular pointcrawl, and I thought I'd share it with you guys. Worth mentioning that both these elements are incomplete and will be added to as the campaign progresses.

The pointcrawl map so far:
vIz9xyF.png

The red cards with "battlements" are cities. The blue card is a village. The yellow card with two lines is a dungeon. More specifically, a ruined swamp fortress with an ancient observatory beneath -- a 60+ room dungeon that I slapped together in two weeks, intended as an introduction for my fellow Zoomer players to the art of classic D&D dungeoncrawling. Might have made it a little too big in hindsight. The solid circles are just demarcations of distance (that can be travelled in a certain amount of time, dependent on the path type).

The double line paths are roads or wide and even dirt paths. The single line paths are rougher dirt paths. There's dark red lines (not present atm) that represent very harsh paths, like mountain passes or game paths. The purple ones are subterranean. As mentioned above, these all take different amounts of time to traverse.

The paths and nodes circled in red are currently hidden from the players. They're secret nodes that link to back entrances to the dungeon. They can be found via finding those exit routes in the dungeon or succeeding in certain checks on the world map.

Foundry VTT has drawing tools, but no straight line tool, so in order to make the paths, I have to resize rectangles. Looks incredibly rough, but at least I can import my node tokens with minimal hassle. The advantage is that I can create and edit paths and nodes on the fly in Foundry instead of having to edit the base image.

Next, all the rules I've written up so far. I shaved off an intro portion that was basically just explaining what this was to my players. Any weird phraselogy is because I'm writing this for my group specifically. Massive text dump incoming.
Hours
As with the hexcrawl. time plays an important role on this pointcrawl. For the sake of granularity, both the hexcrawl and the pointcrawl, whichever we end up using, will use hours instead of movement units. Barring certain circumstances, the party starts a day with 12 hours to work with. Hours are spent moving or doing actions on the world map, like the hexcrawl.

Movement
Movement takes varying amounts of time dependent on the harshness of the path being used. There are three main types of path, as well as certain special ones, represented by certain kinds of lines on the world map.
  • Good Path - Double Line - This is a road or well-trodden path that is easy to traverse. Movement over this kind of path takes 3 hours by default.
  • Tough Path - Single Line - This is a tougher, more uneven path that is harder to traverse. Movement over this kind of path takes 4 hours by default.
  • Harsh Path - Dark Red Line - This is a very tough path, found in hard to navigate terrain. Movement over this kind of path takes 6 hours by default.
In addition to these kinds of paths, there are special ones as well.
  • Subterranean - Purple Line - These paths are underground, and are often only found via exploration. Travel time varies.
  • Short/Long Path - Any Line - These paths are notated with text to indicate that they take more or less time than usual to traverse.
  • Secret Path - Any Line - These paths are notated with an "S" and hidden from the party by default. Finding them requires a successful Explore action, a guide, a rumor, or through play, like finding a secret passage out of a dungeon.
All these paths lead to nodes, which can represent locations, landmarks, or simply demarcations of time to traverse that path. All these nodes can have actions taken in them, regardless of importance. The icons you'll see to represent certain nodes are listed below:
  • Solid Circle - May indicate both a bend in a path and/or simply a demarcation of how far along a path your party would get in the amount of movement hours for that path.
  • Dual Circle - A landmark that does not deserve a full tile, such as a back entrance to a dungeon or some other semi-important position.
  • Red Card - A city or other large population center.
  • Blue Card - A village or other small population center.
  • Green Card - A wilderness location.
  • Yellow Card - A dungeon or ruin.
Weather & Movement
Weather can make movement harder, for obvious reasons. Additional hours apply to all paths traveled that day.
  • Clear Weather - No Effect
  • Light Weather (light fog, light rain, etc.) - No Effect
  • Heavy Weather (heavy fog, heavy rain, etc.) - +1 hour to travel
  • Night Time - +1 hour to travel
Moving Off The Path
Although pointcrawls primarily operate by paths and nodes, these are abstractions, and it is still possible for the party to go "off-road" whether they want to make their own shortcut to a node, or if they get lost.

Moving over terrain in this way is an incredibly laborious affair -- it requires finding paths or making your own, and vastly increases the chances of getting lost. The terrain being moved over will determine how long this sort of travel will take. As a general rule, the time to travel over terrain will be that of a path plus 2 hours.
  • Plains - Good Path + 2 - 5 hours
  • Forest/Swamp - Tough Path + 2 - 6 hours
  • Mountains - Harsh Path + 2 - 8 hours
  • Subterranean - Situational.
Movement of this fashion relies on going from landmark to landmark, and using high ground to survey the area. After the ordeal, if the highest INT character (or character with survivalist vocation) makes a successful INT roll at disadvantage (disadvantage does not apply to survivalist character), they remember that path and can use it again at a faster rate.

Actions
While in a node, the party can take actions that consume a certain amount of hours, but may incur benefits and new advantages.
  • Explore - The party explores the area, looking for hidden paths and locations. On a successful WIS roll at disadvantage (unless survivalist vocation), the party finds one secret location or path. Failing the WIS roll results in an encounter roll. Alternatively, the party can specifically look for an encounter in the area (this requires no roll).
    • WIS roll at disadvantage (unless survivalist vocation), consumes 3 hours
  • Forage - The party searches for edibles in that area. A success means the party finds 2d6 rations (trail). This action's chance of success can be positively modified by survivalist vocations by +1 and negatively modified by harsh terrain by -1. Impossible in subterranean areas unless stated otherwise.
    • 2/6 chance base (+1 for survivalist, -1 for harsh terrain), consumes 2 hours.
  • Camp - The party sets up camp and rests for a party-determined amount of time. Although this consumes hours in time, it does not consume hours of potential movement -- any movement the party has left will still be in play when they decide to move again. Every hour spent camping is restored to the party's movement, capped at 12 hours. For instance, a party camping for 4 hours will have 4 hours worth of movement restored to them. Daily encounter checks still apply.
    • No chance, consumes player-determined amount of hours.
Getting Lost
Getting lost is a random chance event that can occur when certain conditions are not met. The party cannot get lost while using good paths. The base chance of getting lost is 1-in-6, but this can be modified by the weather.
  • Using Good Path - No chance of getting lost under any circumstance
  • Clear Weather - 1/6
  • Light Weather - 2/6
  • Heavy Weather - 3/6
  • Subterranean - Situational
This mechanic reflects the party taking a wrong turn or getting distracted and ending up in the wilderness. Travel doing these portions depends on the terrain involved, per the Moving Off The Path rules above.

While lost, there is a base chance of 3/6 to find a known node again. This is rolled during every wilderness travel period. These can be negatively modified by weather (-1 for light, -2 for heavy) and positively modified by survivalist vocations (+1 per vocation in party), surveying from high ground, and successful WIS checks (only for that travel period, failure negatively modifies).

Negative modifiers for finding your way can only lower the chance to 1/6. Positive modifiers can only raise the chance to 5/6.

Keep in mind that rules on remembering the path also apply to being lost, with the same qualifiers.

Random Encounters
A random encounter check is made every day spent on the world map. The default chance of an encounter is 1/6. The encounters vary by terrain type, which is determined by the position of the node. For instance, if the node were in a plain area, the encounter table would look like this:
  • Plain Encounter
    • Plain Animals
    • Plain Humans
    • Plain Oddity
    • Plain Loot
    • Plain Monsters
    • Plain Situation
The Plain Encounter table is rolled on first to determine which category will be selected from. Then, another roll is made on the sub-encounter table to determine the result. Random encounters can be helpful or dangerous.

Hopefully you guys can get some ideas from some of this. If you see any problems with the rules or layout, let me know.

Last edited:

Bara

Arcane
So the new OSE box set kickstarter is up.

It kinda sucks. While I'm not really into the new booklet covers my real complaint is the stretch goals.

e5cc0372fd504b378151ed392d4df342_original.png

Like other than dragonborn and tiefling what's this nonsense of Beast Master and others being stretch goals? The work was already done for them and released in issue 0 of his zine.

What justification is there that this singular class thats already been released should be a 10k mark stretch goal.

If this is about release the classes out side a kickstarter exclusive than just do some social goal or whatever. Attaching them to a dollar goal feel at best kinda greedy

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
I'd contribute to the campaign if the $240k stretch goal was to administratively ensure tieflings never appeared in OSE instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom