Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ostranauts - spaceship management sim set in NEO Scavenger universe - now available on Early Access

dcfedor

Blue Bottle Games
Developer
Thanks for these!

High Fleet is definitely on my "to play" list, and I love the aesthetics of it. Those are some handy screen refs, with helpful labels! D/ling now.

And KITT was also in my reference folder. Though not those images, so thanks! (I mined a lot of Airwolf, Street Hawk, and Blue Thunder, too.)

That STS pic, in particular, is also in my folder. And yeah, it illustrates your later point: new users might be intimidated by that!

Some of our guiding lights in these UIs are:
- make it look complex, but fairly easy once you try it
- make it satisfying to manipulate. Players should feel like their favorite space captain flipping switches.
- no meaningless fluff (blinking LEDs that don't matter) or handwavium, if possible
- emulate the aesthetics of late-70s to early-80s retrofuturism (Alien(s), Blade Runner, etc.)

I think most of the ship controls are pretty easy, since we can find a lot of existing tech and prior art to guide us. Some of the tricker ones are more abstract UIs that are showing things we perceive in ways that are hard to draw or fit into the aesthetic. Some examples there include:
- player status (how does player feel physically/mentally right now?)
- conversation options, mood/tone, expected outcome of a move
- crew scheduling, duties
- NPC status, both when we see them on the map and in-conversation

You can see a fair amount of "generic sci-fi HUD/Unity button" stuff still in the game, which isn't ideal. But it's okay for now as long as users understand how to use it.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1022980/view/3114803256548270739
Ostranauts Patch 0.7.0.11 Is Live!
Hey Folks!

Ostranauts v0.7.0.11 is now available on Steam, and your clients should be updating shortly.

This patch fixes several bugs that have been reported recently, and should hopefully make the game a little more reliable for you.

Saves from 0.7.0.X should work. If you were experiencing issues in the older save, this patch may fix some (especially timing-related issues), but others may persist depending on the cause.

30853f662c2747b1366e56ad5f761393180fa43e.png

• Fixed a bug that could cause police to crash into player when attempting to dock with them.
  • Fixed a bug that caused O2 alarms and other items to stop updating until they were switched off and on again, after loading a save.
  • Fixed a bug that caused AI to stop at door after opening it, and complain about airlock pressure.
  • Changed doors to reset to auto-close when power lost. Fixes doors remaining open when they shouldn't sometimes.
  • Changed proximity alarm mute to also skip returning to 1x speed.
  • Fixed a bug that caused drinking from bottle to sometimes fail.
  • Added code to reduce NPCs piling-up in one spot on stations.
  • Fixed a bug that causes OKLG to power off and on again when first docking.
  • Added code to prevent player from being hit by multiple events like micrometeoroids while paused.

One big issue we addressed was police not slowing down enough when attempting to dock. We saw a patrol vessel approach BikeMan during his stream, and stop decelerating for a few seconds as it got close. This stream footage helped us find the cause, and to fix it!

Police (and other NPCs) may still collide with the player if en route to someplace past the player location, but this should hopefully reduce the number of incidents with patrol ships.

Also, a series of timer-related bugs were identified and fixed. And they impacted several things in the game, including air sensors failing to update, doors getting stuck open/closed, and AIs pathing through doors.

Drinking from a bottle seemed to be broken (though one could drink liquid directly, or from pouches), so that was fixed. AIs were instructed to spread out a bit on stations after arriving (so they don't pile-up in one spot). The prox alarm mute no longer allows prox alarm to interrupt fast-forward.

Finally, there was a bug that could cause multiple micrometeoroids to hit the player while the game is paused. This patch prevents that, though there's still a chance up to one will hit. (To be fixed.)

As always, there's plenty more for us to fix, change, and add! And we'll be continuing in roughly that order. In the meantime, let us know if this patch helps you out, as well as if it reveals new problems!

Best,
Daniel Fedor
Founder, Blue Bottle Games, LLC

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I wanted to get back into the game to see what changed. I dock to a ship and find a completely intact but extremely small vessel. So I start stripping it out of valuable equipment. Meanwhile some patrol vessel closes in and starts bumping into me. I ignore them and eventually they breach the small ships walls and depressurize it. I see on my NAV computer that there are no ships around me so I continue salvaging with the pressure suit. I start running low on oxy so I go back to my ship and find it wrecked. Another ramming police idiot? I patch my ship up and return to the station. There I'm forced to flirt with the fixer so I can sell the equipment I salvaged. And then the game crashes.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1022980/view/3111429361412875329
Patch 0.8.0.8 "The Art of Conversation" Update Is Live!
Hey Folks!

Ostranauts v0.8.0.8 is now available on Steam. Named "The Art of Conversation" Update, it represents a major feature update, hence the change from 0.7.x to 0.8.x.

1c04eb6854ed8ff99065bb9e3d670a9c5a9f9289.png

For best results, you are encouraged to start a new character.

Old saves might still work, but there's a chance they'll cause bugs. And they will definitely miss new content.

It's a pretty significant patch, so we've broken down the change list into sections.
b3e16b6f971bf2a1a3bee884b1a89a5e28ab5fc3.png

• Added new Social Combat "Objective" mode for high stakes negotiations.
  • Added ability to undock from station with unpaid fees if player convinces a clerk to override the lockdown.
  • Added ability to gain black market access by convincing Fixer on OKLG to trust you.
  • Added ability to lessen police fines by convincing police.
  • Added an objective UI box for explaining the stakes and goals of social combat scenarios.
  • Added overlays to stat bars to show where current negotiation will succeed or fail.
  • Added "Gambit" moves which attempt to finish social combat with a successful outcome.
  • Added "Closer" moves which NPCs will use to finish social combat on their terms.
  • Changed social move preview to show more info on each move.
  • Added highlight on profile of character who’s turn it is.
  • Added code to center camera on speaker during social combat.
  • Changed social stat bars to smoothly change color based on their amount.
  • Added green/pink color highlights when social stat bars are changed
  • Added tooltips to social stat bars to show more info.
  • Changed NPC behavior to load social combat if they approach player to talk.
  • Added new core social moves to game.
  • Changed most social moves to be faster.
  • Changed solo social moves to have different durations, so they don't all start and stop synchronously.
  • Changed conversations to have "change subject" and "leave" options always at end.
  • Changed NPCs to heal privacy discomfort over time, even if they are not on-screen in a loaded ship.
  • Changed NPC behavior to avoid chatting with player if player is already in social combat.
  • Changed player starting social mood to be more middle of road instead of perfect.
  • Changed social stats to degrade/recover naturally faster than before.
  • Changed Fixer and Port Authority clerk to start with less discomforts.

5a6f38e0acfb845496592f59dc32c6d2ed7b4360.png

• Changed game data to be more modder friendly, and avoid overwrites from patch updates.
  • Added a button to open the mods folder from the Options->Files menu.
  • Added more logging info when loading mods, including names of mod as it loads.
  • Added list of loaded mods and their statuses to the Options->Files menu.
  • Changed StreamingData to have folders for each json type, and game loads all jsons from each folder.
  • Added SampleMod.zip to game folder to help new modders.
  • Added moddable PlotManager Settings, in StreamingAssets/data/plot_manager/ folder.
  • Changed game to load moddable star system data from StreamingData/star_systems/.
  • Changed console_params.json to be in persistent data folder instead of StreamingData.
  • Changed game to load core and mod data in user-defined order. Game checks for loading_order.json in game data Mods/ folder before loading. Loads mods in that order, or defaults to game data if missing.
  • Changed game to try loading mod PNGs before core PNGs.
  • Added ability to skip loading core and mod file paths via settings in loading_order.json.
  • Changed formatting inside names_first.json, names_last.json, names_full.json, names_ship.json, names_ship_genadj.json, names_ship_gennoun.json, strings.json, and crewskins.json to be more moddable.
  • Added support for a settings.json file in persistent data folder.
  • Added user settings preferences for date format, temperature units, and custom Mods/ folder.
  • Fixed some typos and extra spaces in names_ship.json.

cea16ad7a263925a6cf7eac980d70d5f603630f8.png

• Added new parallax backgrounds to the boneyard, stations, and deep space.
  • Added code to change the parallax background based on nearest orbital body.
  • Changed door opening to be faster after AI starts opening them.
  • Added an emotional effects to all crew after a collision.
  • Added custom collision bark responses to AIs with relevant traits.
  • Added an emotional effects to AI when they are in O2 danger.
  • Changed trait costs to be more balanced with their rewards and penalties.
  • Added station names to all other stations in the System.
  • Changed docking fees to always belong to regional ATC, not local station.
  • Changed undocking to be allowed with unpaid fees when in non-regional ATC station.
  • Added ability to save custom backgrounds in ship editor that extend beyond ship boundaries, without breaking pathfinding/docking.
  • Added random chance of emotional anxiety to game.
  • Added first undocking fees warning encounter.
  • Added encounter for first time at OKLG_BIZ.
  • Added port authority coveralls to game.

e3098e5ff8545ea6cf1816194721df534d14b11b.jpg

• Changed debug console to auto-open log the first time error level might affect gameplay.
  • Changed options screen to allow other date and temperature formats.
  • Changed remappable hotkeys to contain more options
  • Changed the hotkeys into a scrollable list rather than a grid
  • Added related sections to the hotkeys list
  • Changed hotkeys to accept multi-key inputs (i.e. shift + F1 toggles LoS)
  • Changed hotkeys to allow for multiple variants (i.e. either W and up arrow fly forwards)
  • Changed hotkeys to allow removal of last key variation (can now leave hotkeys empty)
  • Changed Docking/Flying UI to use arrows instead of key letters
  • Added code to lock UI so enter key counts as pressing the lock/unlock button.
  • Added code to options->interface screen to restore user settings when re-opened later.
  • Changed chargen launch screen to play different audio when launch button fails.
  • Changed chargen launch screen to blink warning lamp and text when launch button fails.
  • Change chargen launch screen PDA text to no longer mention immediately airless voids (not applicable now).
  • Changed Ship Editor to hide crew bar UI at bottom, and move top nav further toward left corner.
  • Changed ship editor's part info/control panel launch window to be a scrolling window, and show user friendly button name.
  • Removed console from bottom of debug overlay. Unused.
  • Changed debug overlay to have less overlapping.
  • Added 25th hour to Roster UI to help illustrate that days have more than 24h.
  • Changed social combat canvas scaling to have some text be fixed size
  • Changed many text boxes to resize text to fill them automatically

• Changed pathfinding to be generally tighter and more consistent.
  • Fixed a bug that caused extra/erroneous 'cant path through AirLock with pressure difference!' log messages.
  • Fixed a bug that allowed pathfinders to interact with things while too far away. E.g. stopping a tile too soon before starting socialize
  • Fixed a bug that caused inconsistent pathfinding goals when AI approached a target.
  • Added code to avoid saving games with a trailing . in the name, as it fails on Windows.
  • Fixed a bug that caused traders to update their prices after a save/load, dock/undock, or using transit.
  • Fixed a bug that caused double progress bars under people.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause social combat target to disappear from station suddenly and become a scavenger pilot.
  • Fixed a bug that could crash the game if no valid character names are loaded from data.
  • Fixed missing anti cond info for Genius and Obtuse.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause game to freeze for long periods due to collisions at extreme speeds.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented AI from wearing helmet if they were carrying it.
  • Fixed a bug that caused police to just stand on their ship instead of question you, when path to you opened an airlock.
  • Fixed a bug in game debug console that ignored some unhandled exceptions.
  • Fixed a bug that caused options->interface screen to be visible but not clickable until reopened, if used in main menu then again after launching game.
  • Fixed a bug that caused a ship's work task icons to be missing after undocking and redocking.
  • Fixed a bug that allowed RCS rotation and screen shaking if ship's RCS remass was empty.
  • Fixed a bug that caused placeholder items (for installs) to be blank or missing on ships after undocking from them and saving/loading.
  • Removed quickzoom hotkey from game. Was only meant for debug.
  • Fixed a bug in that could cause nulls if an interaction gave missing loot to a person.
  • Fixed a bug that caused social stats to wrap around back to high if they got too low.
  • Fixed a bug that would cause social combat UI to target self and get stuck in a loop.
  • Fixed a bug that caused NPCs to lash out at player and interrupt them if they were in a bad mood while using transit.
  • Fixed a bug that would center camera on strange things if user clicked objective for off-screen ship.
  • Fixed missing audio for trade UI buy/sell buttons.
  • Fixed a bug that would generate NPCs with ORG as a career.

The namesake for this update is the new social combat system. There are now conversations in the game where the outcome can have real, meaningful consequences. Whether it be access to markets, avoiding fees, or even running away from debtors.

The social "objective" UI will appear when in these negotiations, and the UI will highlight red zones where the target will likely bail out on you. We also added a range of new UI helpers to show the current status of the conversation, and how things are changing.

Regular "chit chat" conversation should be more consistent now, too. Moves are faster, have more consistent effects, and you can even use these chit-chat moves to prep a target before going in for negotiations.

74fdcc22d6a92c95dcf36c4f9beb0a13c74de5b3.png

Modding also got a lot of attention! There is now a dedicated mod status UI in the options->files screen, where you can see what mods have loaded, in what order, where the mod files are, and even documentation on how to mod!

One of the bigger changes under the hood is how the game data files work now. Previously, there was only one set of game files, and any edits to those files were likely to be erased by a Steam update.

Now, the core data is separate from Mod data, so modders can edit anything they like without fear of overwriting by Steam. Plus, there is no limit to the number of files under each data type's folder, so you can organize your mod into as many files as you wish.

The game comes with a SampleMod.zip for you to look at if you wish to start from something simple.

There's also an update to the error console in the top left of the screen, so that it more reliably reports errors, and will appear in real time with a message if an error has likely corrupted the game.

We also added parallax backgrounds for the boneyard, stations, and deep space, to make things more immersive. In the boneyard, you'll see procedural junk fly by in the background with the stars. And on ground stations, you'll no longer see stars through the ground.

Users can also now place background items in the ship editor, which look like regular placed items, but don't interact with items in the game world. They all exist on a separate layer, but use shared lighting/shadows. Use these for things like station backgrounds and other effects!

Hotkeys had a complete overhaul, making them more reliable and versatile. And paving the way for more hotkey-mappable things in the future. Hopefully, users with many keyboard configs can now make use of it!

And those are just the big-ticket features! Lots of smaller UI tweaks, game balance changes, bug fixes, and other changes.

As always, we love hearing what you think! Tell us how your run goes. What works for you? What is or isn't fun? What do you want to see next?

Thanks for reading, and fly safe!

Best,
Daniel Fedor

agris

Arcane
Patron
dcfedor what's your thoughts with that conversation UI? Expose everything right now, nuts and bolts and all, and when the mechanics are entirely settled do an aesthetics/functionality pass?

also: did you ever check out selected ambient works '85 - 92? don't sleep on this one man...

dcfedor

Blue Bottle Games
Developer
also: did you ever check out selected ambient works '85 - 92? don't sleep on this one man...

I did! And I enjoyed it. (I even recognized a few tracks.) I think it fills a different niche and has a different mood than SAWv2.

For the conversation UI, yes. We do intend to come back for a UI pass, though it might be more of a style change than a mechanical one. As much as I like hiding variables, in this case, it's fairly challenging for the average player to follow without some clues. There's a lot going on!

That said, it's getting a bit more consistent now. The old conversation system was all over the place, and only a few people could really navigate it, since it required a mental model of the AI most weren't privy to.

This new system is starting to define some consistent rules and treatments, and combined with UI helpers, hopefully players can make the desired outcomes happen!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

This time Dan and the gang show off some of the recent additions from the 0.8 Art of Conversation update on a WIP build with of some of the new Wear & Tear changes!

Stream was recorded April 1st 2022, (Featuring: Dan, Corey, Joshu, & Naiba)
Catch our future streams over on twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/bluebottlegames or at our discord: https://discord.gg/jgJu3GDreW

Note: There appears to be some interference/problems with Joshu's mic that we couldn't fix for the video version, sorry about that folks, we'll get it looked into before the next stream!

MichaelB

Literate
And the grandaddy of them all, the STS instrument cluster.

STSCPanel.jpg

The sensory overload one gets from looking at this reminds me of the experience of playing many of the 90's games for the first time; the overly present interface takes up more than 80% of the screen with its buttons, scrollbars and oversized pictures, leaving only a small window where you can see your character and the world around him- and that's where the actual game takes place.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1022980/view/3195877577616062291
Ostranauts "Wear & Tear" Update Is Live!
Patch 0.9.0.0
Hey Folks!

Ostranauts v0.9.0.0 is now available on Steam. Named "Wear and Tear," this patch represents a major feature update, and includes a batch of new content plus fresh gameplay loops to explore.

d47593decdec90ee6ea774fdd9c152d8a36032b4.png

As the name suggests, the "Wear and Tear" patch adds new functionality to the game wherein items, equipment, and ship parts degrade and take damage in new ways.

Gone are the days of pristine derelicts in the Boneyard. What you'll find now is that every ship is in a unique state of disrepair, with major parts that suffer nuanced fail conditions like gas leaks, thruster sputter, power shorts, light flickers, efficiency drops, and even internal component failure.

With these new problems to solve, you and your crew will need the right tools to get vessels in working order. So we've included a range of new toys to play with, from friction welders to angle grinders, all powered by a new chargeable battery system that works with EVA suits as well.

Old saves will not work in v0.9.x and later. However, we have created a new opt-in branch on Steam called "legacy_08" if you wish to continue your current v0.8.x character. See Steam's Tech Support forums for more info on opting-into other branches.

On to the changes!

588157d38e13defe5c0601950e713f03de894bab.png

• Added item condition % to the game
  • Added procedural wear visuals based on item condition %
  • Added Item condition % noted in inventory tooltips
  • Added damage over time to most ship parts. A new part is completely dead after 20 years.
  • Added damage through usage, bashing, and accidents to most ship parts.
  • Added nav station software failure locking user out until they "debug error" on it (like repairing)
  • Added nav station has a 15% chance of software failure upon switching into (damaged) state
  • Added nav station has a 1% chance of software failure for every hour (on)
  • Added switching nav station off and on again has a 5% chance of fixing software errors (just like real life!)
  • Added flickering to severely damaged items with lights
  • Added sparking to severely damaged items with power
  • Added code to sputter RCS audio and thrust amount when 1 or more RCS damaged.
  • Added leaking to severely damaged items with gas
  • Changed gas containers to remove their contents into room when destroyed.
  • Fixed a bug that would re-damage items every time a save was loaded
  • Added predetermined random damage amounts to stations
  • Changed derelict gas canisters to now start partially emptied.
  • Added Hotkey to toggle health/energy bar tooltip (X)
  • Added Hotkey to damage the ship (Shift + K) [only works in unlockdebug mode]
  • Added code to play audio effect when gas leaks.
  • Added damaged versions of air pump to game.
  • Added code to make air pumps degrade into damaged versions.
  • Added ability to install and uninstall damaged air pumps.
  • Added chance of sudden part failure on ships where there is significant part damage.
  • Added code to reset tension timer in plot manager when parts fail due to time or use.
  • Changed all breakable objects to only drop some of their repair components when damaged.
  • Added breakable non-hull objects, which can be repaired, to game.
  • Added ability to repair broken objects with components.
  • Changed damaged light flickering to alternate less frequently.
  • Changed damaged light to stop flickering while game paused.
  • Changed gas canisters & batteries to be only partially full on derelicts

971131b69ee2628ae0ca00859538f22324ab41ec.png

• Added Halvorson stir friction welder.
  • Added Gott angle grinder.
  • Added Gott Soldering Iron.
  • Added Horang Screwdriver.
  • Added Small and Large Sized Toolboxes
  • Added battery & battery charger for Halvorson products.
  • Added battery & battery charger for Gott products.
  • Added battery & battery charger for Weber Laser torch.
  • Added disposable BB batteries to game.
  • Changed work lamp to use BB batteries.
  • Changed ship battery recharge rates to be more realistic.
  • Changed ship batteries to have lower capacity when damaged.
  • Changed EVA suit to drain battery 10x slower.
  • Added EVA battery recharging station to game.
  • Added EVA recharging station to OKLG.
  • Added Facilities Fee to OKLG docking fees.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented containers from updating their appearances if item dropped inside them in inventory.
  • Changed Tools to use different sprites if they have a battery inside
  • Added message in the log when an interaction fails due to low power
  • Added message in the log when tool power falls below 5%

a5d04f5aae5decacd9df189d088d4a91380145f6.png

• Added Hotkey to cycle between crew (Tab)
  • Changed cycling to crew on other ships now loads that ship
  • Changed crew to auto-undamage things on owned ships if their AI is enabled
  • Changed crew to start with AI, and is disabled by manually ordering them around.
  • Added a new AI Mode button is down near status info in HUD to allow re-enabling AI
  • Added context menu options to toggle AI mode on crew.
  • Changed AI to now path through double-airlocks without fiddling if you manually order them to
  • Changed NPCs to repeat themselves less in conversations
  • Changed Fixer to be more profitable. Licensed Kiosk less profitable. Should be more balanced.
  • Changed captain to start with 24h schedule entirely set to "Work"
  • Fixed game to not return to 1x speed if emergency happens at <1x speed
  • Fixed Crew Sight, now you see from the perspective of who you control
  • Changed hiring negotiation to use social combat.
  • Changed game to have optional task ownership.
  • Added code to make crew AI prefer personally owned tasks over all-crew tasks when getting work.
  • Changed AI to ignore crew tasks if in AI manual mode.
  • Changed game to make context menu actions owned by current crew member.
  • Changed AI to skip looking for things to undamage when in AI manual mode.
  • Fixed a bug that caused derelicts to play lots of damaging noises when first docking to them.
  • Changed install times to be shorter for canisters, walls, floors, beds, chairs, and other simple jobs.
  • Changed police shakedown conversation to be forced to end faster.
  • Fixed refuel kiosk hiding numbers in 4:3 aspect ratio.
  • Fixed refuel kiosk not showing outstanding fines on screen, causing kiosk to claim insufficient funds despite user having more money than listed total.
  • Changed progress bar to show progress rate based on skills and tools.
  • Fixed a bug that caused all PDA tasks to be owned by currently selected crew.
  • Changed AI manual to allow taking work tasks they don't personally own.
  • Fixed a bug that caused a crash if user cycled to off-ship, non-captain crew and attempted to save.
  • Changed AI to bother player and anyone sleeping/working 99% less often.
  • Changed game to let captain's AI automatically deal with NPC chatter most of the time, instead of raising the UI.
  • Changed events like micrometeoroid to only happen when game unpaused.
  • Fixed a bug that caused Disembark Fail to appear in NPC context menus.
  • Fixed missing friendly name on loose, damaged nav station.
  • Changed task tooltip to show all tasks in current tile, not just top one.
  • Added more appropriate starting equipment to NPC scavs on OKLG.
  • Changed task manager to leave tasks open until done, instead of until they were started.
  • Fixed a bug that caused AI to wander around attempting to equip installed floors for comfort.
  • Changed AI to ignore items that are like new when looking for things to undamage.

• Fixed a bug that caused installing a part to fail if controlling crew on different ship from captain.
  • Fixed a bug that caused debug air pumps and conduits to appear in inventory/trade lists.
  • Fixed a bug that caused items to appear in impossible places after an uninstall or other modeswitch.
  • Fixed a bug that caused inventory items to disappear if they were on a blocker grid space when picked up.
  • Added photosensitivity warning to game loading screen as the game contains more sparks, flashing lights etc.
  • Added motor component.
  • Added heat sink component
  • Added motherboard component
  • Added ability to repair damaged air pump with a motor.
  • Changed uninstalling to always place resulting object in same spot, to avoid placing outside ship.
  • Fixed a bug that caused traders to spawn empty containers and tools, instead of their normal contents.
  • Fixed a bug that allowed player to select dead crew members.
  • Added code to cycle to next crew if currently selected crew dies.
  • Added random damage to OKLG stations according to their maintenance levels.
  • Fixed a bug that would log when an item gave itself to player.
  • Changed AI to prefer using items in hands first, then carried items, then items on floor based on distance.
  • Changed battery charge info in top right tooltip to show percent instead of many decimal kWh.
  • Fixed a bug that could break saving the game if an installable object had null list of components inside it.
  • Fixed a bug that allowed tools to be used to repair themselves.
  • Fixed a bug that caused inventory item to be unusable if player was facing a wall.
  • Fixed a bug that meant crew would never pay back Death Pay upon being fired or quitting
  • Fixed a bug that meant crew salary would remain on the roster after being fired or quitting
  • Added extra persuasion conversation when crew quits to try win them back
  • Added extra dialogue to allow crew to quit amicably or aggressively
  • Added ability for crew to have conversations without interrupting the player with a popup every time
  • Fixed a bug that could sometimes cause UI fade-ins to leave UI unclickable.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented sitting in chairs.
  • Added save version warning message to loading screen.

As you can tell from the changelist above, the new patch is focused on creating a more complex, dynamic, and customizable journey from busted ship to zooming whip. As a first level of complexity we've designed a custom shader that procedurally applies damage and visual noise to every item in the game. This damage increases over time and can break the part when it reaches capacity, so you'll have to use the restore action to keep parts in working condition.

On top of that, crucial ship parts like Nav Stations and RCS systems are now made up of internal components such as motors, motherboards and heat sinks. This means repairing them isn't as easy as a simple restore action, as you'll need the right components to make them work.

cec313c83aa0fff928407f557e864f683312df37.png

In addition, broken ship parts are no longer a binary of "working" or "not working." Instead, parts fail in dynamic and variable ways, from efficiency loss to gas leaks to intermittent thruster sputtering. These failures combine to create crises unique to your game story, and force you to creatively problem solve or else face doom in the void.

We wouldn't want you to go it alone, so as another feature we've spruced up our crew and AI system. Crew members now automatically restore your ship as a default behaviour, assuming you've given them the right tools. We've added a new Behavior: Auto/Manual mode toggle, just in case you want to tab from crew member to crew member and micro every action yourself.

As always, please tell us what you think! We thrive on your feedback and love to hear from our players in Discord and beyond.

Thanks for reading and…oh crap. What was that noise? If that's my Hydra failing again, I swear...

Best,
Daniel Fedor

Perkel

Arcane
looks like great update.
With proper solar system expasion it would be great game.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1022980/view/3361387385171489405
Ostranauts Feature Patch (0.9.1.7) Is Live!
Hey Folks!

Ostranauts v0.9.1.7 is now available on Steam, and your clients should be updating shortly.

This is a feature update to our recently released "Wear and Tear" update, and includes some more significant additions, quality of life enhancements, and fixes.

Saves from v0.9.0.0 should work. If you were experiencing issues in the older save, this patch may fix some, but others may persist depending on the cause.

• Added ability to EVA outside your ship in a 1 tile border.
  • Changed damaged/missing floor tiles to be walkable via EVA.
  • Changed AI to have improved prioritization for restoring things based on damage vs. distance.
  • Changed pathfinding to be a little more generous, and might reach places it couldn't before.
  • Changed damaged floor tiles to be walkable via EVA, and not block item installation.
  • Changed AI to avoid spacing itself to do tasks in manual mode unless player explicitly tells them to.
  • Added a new special item or two.
  • Added a new objective to alert new players that the CASH button is there.
  • Added code to change task icons to red if they cannot be completed.
  • Added ability to cancel a task via right-clicking context menu.
  • Added better indicators for power in/out and use points when placing objects.
  • Added more damaged item types, and ability to repair more things.
  • Added ability to carefully dismantle most objects for parts.
  • Added ETA info on target to nav screen.
  • Added dismantle action to PDA orders menu.
  • Changed task tooltips on main screen to show same info that PDA task UI showed.
  • Fixed a bug that would cause 'black hole' ground tiles that eat items on inventory screen.
  • Fixed gas escaping when broken wall or open door placed against wall.
  • Fixed battery charge so it is capped at 100%.
  • Added text input to debug console. More commands to come later.
  • Added code to animate social combat objective onto screen so it is more noticeable.
  • Fixed a bug that allowed toolboxes to fit inside themselves.
  • Added code to eject user from reactor UI when it is destroyed.
  • Fixed null bugs when batteries attached to reactor UI are destroyed.
  • Fixed missing audio on reactor Fuel Reg button.
  • Fixed a bug that showed incorrect fusion reactant rates on reactor UI.
  • Fixed a bug that caused player ship to be considered a station if it used Quick Dock drop down on UNLOCKDEBUG overlay.
  • Fixed bugs that caused inventory and damage tooltip objectives to complete prematurely.
  • Fixed wrong image for motherboard component when slotted in hands.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause NPCs on non-loaded ships to suffocate if something triggered their updates to run several cycles.
  • Changed objectives to be on left.
  • Fixed a bug in trade UI that caused manual typed number amounts to be ignored.
  • Fixed a bug that showed mood stats in career sidebar summary.
  • Fixed a null reference in GUIOrbitDraw that would occur if certain ship components were destroyed while using nav station.
  • Fixed a bug that caused rooms to duplicate and break when loading a save. (a.k.a. Sudden atmo loss.)
  • Fixed a bug that used incorrect damage images on COOverlay items in inventory.
  • Fixed a bug that caused EVA suits to spawn new batteries and O2 bottles inside after some actions.
  • Fixed a bug that caused player to be stuck in future conversations if quick saved during a social combat conversation.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause the emotional clobber event to interrupt socializing with an NPC and appear to get stuck.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented finishing restore on a sink, and restoring loose sinks.

The biggest change here is the new ability to move outside the ship. Each ship now has a 1-tile border in which crew can conduct extra-vehicular activities (EVA). Crew can also now float over damaged and missing floor tiles.

Crew AI also had a few tweaks added to make them prioritize tasks better, and avoid spacing themselves when doing tasks.

There are also several new quality of life enhancements to the user experience, particularly with tasks. Icons now show as red when they are blocked by something, task tooltips show more relevant info on status, and the player can now cancel tasks via right-clicking. The nav station now shows ETA to target.

Several new items now have a damaged state, and can be repaired. And a couple new items were added to the game, as well. And most items can now be carefully dismantled to get the most spare parts and materials possible.

We have a new text input area in the error console, and if you type "help" there you can see our growing list of debug commands.

Finally, there was a raft of bug fixes, including one which caused random atmo loss on stations, and another that caused NPCs to drop dead on stations in some cases. (Note, this fix will not resurrect dead NPCs.)

As always, there's plenty more for us to fix, change, and add! And we'll be continuing in roughly that order. In the meantime, let us know if this patch helps you out, as well as if it reveals new problems!

Best,
Daniel Fedor

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1022980/view/6020764566736363063
Ostranauts Feature Patch (0.9.2.1) Is Live!
Hey Folks!

Ostranauts v0.9.2.1 is now available on Steam, and your clients should be updating shortly.

This is a feature update to our recently released "Wear and Tear" update, which significantly changes police behavior, among a few other features and fixes.

Saves from v0.9.0.0 should work. If you were experiencing issues in the older save, this patch may fix some, but others may persist depending on the cause.

• Changed police to only start bothering player after first time they illegally dock with derelict.
  • Changed police ships to bother player less often.
  • Changed non-bribe police shakedown gambits to sucking up to them and steering towards a minor infraction.
  • Changed police shakedown to require warnings before conversation ends with a loss.
  • Added ability to stall one time when finding out legitimate fine in police shakedown.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause players to get stuck endlessly in police shakedown.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause multiple police ships to target same ship before first one arrives at target.
  • Added new bug reporting button to game's escape menu (near bottom).
  • Added new bug reporting command 'bugform' to debug console.
  • Fixed a bug that caused saving game to fail if an object being saved had a null transform.
  • Changed police shakedown so mugging will not take licenses, toolboxes, or EVA suits.
  • Changed some police shakedown choice titles to have more concise wording.
  • Added more social moves to police shakedown so player could slow pace down and scout police mood.
  • Added code to make cops angry if player tries to undock before police talk to them.
  • Added code to delay police from immediately redocking with player after player undocks from them.
  • Fixed a bug that caused police crew to spawn with orange EVA suits.
  • Fixed a bug that would cause crates to respawn loot inside when locked via UI.

The big change here is to how the police operate, both as pilots and interrogators. They'll now leave players alone until they start docking with derelicts, and even then, their frequency should be more like once per shift, instead of several times an hour.

Also, the police conversation has a number of new features in it to reduce sudden failure states, giving players more time to feel them out and control the flow of the conversation. That, and the "mugging" outcome should no longer rob the player of critical items like their EVA suit, toolbox full of tools, or permits.

We also have a new Bug Report button on the game's escape menu, which will take you to a bug submission form. It can also be accessed via the debug console in the top left.

Finally, there were also a few fixes, including one which prevented save games from finishing writing to disk, and another which randomly replaced crate items when locked via the UI.

Best,
Daniel Fedor

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1022980/view/3355759788348340233

Ostranauts Feature Patch (0.9.3.2) Is Live!
Hey Folks!

Ostranauts v0.9.3.2 is now available on Steam, and your clients should be updating shortly.

This is a feature update to our recently released "Wear and Tear" update, which adds autosave! Plus a fix for buying salvage licenses.

• Added autosave every 15 minutes.
  • Added a feature to the continue screen that lets the user load normally (last manual save) or use a dropdown to load autosaves or older saves.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the player from purchasing salvage licenses because their captain didn't feel like succeeding.

The big change here is, of course, autosave!

The game will now autosave approximately every 15 minutes, and backup up to 2 autosaves in the same slot where your usual save files go. This way, if you forget to save progress for a while, and something happens, you should have both your last manual save and some recent saves to choose from.

The main menu's Continue screen also now has a new dropdown at the bottom of each save slot. It lists all manual and autosaves in the folder, in reverse chronological order. This will let you choose which specific save you want to load. Clicking the main slot button above continues to work as before, loading the latest manual save found.

Finally, there is also a fix for the salvage license kiosk. Some players were seeing a log message that they lacked funds when attempting to purchase, despite having enough.

It turns out there was a missing flag on this transaction that let the captain's AI choose what outcome it wanted. And some masochistic AIs preferred to fail. I guess to feel something? I dunno. Anyway, they purchase correctly now.

Best,
Daniel Fedor

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1022980/view/3381658656455747652
Ostranauts Feature Patch (0.9.5.7) Is Live!
Hey Folks!

Ostranauts v0.9.5.7 is now available on Steam, and your clients should be updating shortly.

This is a feature update to our recently released "Wear and Tear" update, and includes some significant changes to new player tutorials, docking, and other quality of life enhancements, and fixes.

Note that we are still working on the next (Slots/Wounds) milestone, as well! This update is just a brief 1-week sidetrack to address several new user bugs we identified in a recent test.

• Added visual indicators to docking UI for range, orientation, and offset.
  • Changed docking UI text to be distributed around next to the relevant indicators
  • Added Wrong Way message to docking screen when applicable.
  • Added pause indicator to game's top left corner.
  • Fixed a bug that caused Ostranauts to always start in fullscreen 1024x768 mode on a fresh PC.
  • Added note to video options screen to prefer widescreen if possible.
  • Added 'Loading...' message to save slots after user clicks one.
  • Changed save slot selection buttons to be more obvious and consistent with each other.
  • Changed character creation tutorials to wait until each is finished before creating new one.
  • Added tutorial objective for pausing the game.
  • Changed character creation tutorials to wait until each is finished before creating new one.
  • Changed sink objective to complete as soon as sink is opened, instead of when clicking Done, if applicable.
  • Changed nav station starting zoom to be closer.
  • Added code to nav station so it remembers zoom from session to session.
  • Changed docked ships so they face each other instead of same direction.
  • Added nav tutorial objective for targeting OKLG.
  • Added nav tutorials for CW and CCW thrust.
  • Added nav tutorials for halting rotation.
  • Added nav tutorial objective to change bearing to point at OKLG after QER controls.
  • Added nav tutorials for rear and forward thrust.
  • Added nav tutorials for left and right thrust.
  • Added nav tutorial objective to target derelict.
  • Added nav tutorial objective to navigate to docking range with target.
  • Added nav tutorial objective to switch to docking screen.
  • Added docking tutorial objective to get docking clearance.
  • Added docking tutorial objective to dock with derelict.
  • Changed tutorial for damage tooltips to appear after launching from chargen.
  • Changed manuals to have higher resolution.
  • Changed context menu buttons to have scaling text size so long names are visible.
  • Fixed a bug that caused arrow keys to always switch control panels, even if user bound those keys to move the ship.
  • Fixed objectives disappearing behind inventory.
  • Changed nav tutorial to set tutorial conditions on user as objectives are completed, instead of all at beginning of game.
  • Changed PDA so it doesn't close UI when it slides open.
  • Changed PDA to appear in front of control panel instead of behind.
  • Fixed a bug that allowed user to have inventory and item control panel open at same time, locking out context menu controls afterward.
  • Changed sink skin selector to be at top, so users see that first (and don't lose lots of customization when doing it last).
  • Fixed a bug that caused encounter UI to freeze when finishing chargen due to autosave.
  • Fixed descriptions of various conditions (green wall light, purple wall light)
  • Fixed typo in crackdown encounter text
  • Fixed incorrect stat usage in caffeine, now uses correct StatSolidTemp

As you can see, there's a large number of quality of life changes in this build! Most are meant to help new users avoid common pitfalls we recently identified in a usability test. But a fair number are also beneficial to veterans.

One of the biggest changes this update is to the docking UI. It now shows a lot more situational info and relevant warnings, to help the user orient themselves. We think both new and veteran users will find useful things here.

We also updated the Don't Crash! paper note taped to the nav screen to be much clearer, and more up-to-date. And while there, we also upscaled all the in-game manuals to double the old resolution, for better legibility.

A new pause indicator will flash on screen when the game is paused, as a number of players didn't realize the game was paused. And in a similar fashion, we added some better visual feedback to things like clicking a new/continue save slot. (And made the clickable regions for those buttons easier to see.)

We also discovered that the game would 100% default to 1024x768 resolution on new users' PCs, which is far from a good resolution for the game. It will now attempt to choose the largest widescreen option supported by the user's monitor. And when changing resolution in the options screen, it will highlight which resolutions are the best picks for the user.

The tutorial objectives received an overhaul, as well!

The chargen tutorial is now sequential, instead of burying users in incessant objectives. There is also an extensive nav station tutorial, teaching the user about important flight controls, and targeting. This carries through to docking with the first derelict.

The objectives also now appear in front of all other UIs, so they aren't missed. Plus the PDA can now open without closing control panels.

Also, it turns out a bug prevented the user from using arrow keys on the nav screen to fly, due to them also switching control panels. This has been corrected! Shift+arrow keys is the new default keybind to swap control panels, and it can be edited in the options.

We fixed a potentially game-halting bug that happened when opening the inventory while in the trading UI, making context menu options unclickable.

And we mived the sink's skin selector button to the top, since it randomizes some features that aren't available on other skin colors. Players frequently spent time customizing all the other features, only to try a different skin color and lose all that info.

Best,
Daniel Fedor

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1022980/view/3244301405092894684
Ostranauts Hotfix Patch (0.9.5.9) Is Live!
Hey Folks!

Ostranauts v0.9.5.9 is now available on Steam, and your clients should be updating shortly.

This is a hotfix to our recently released "Wear and Tear" update, and includes some fixes and changes we felt were important to release as soon as we could. Plus a few changes unrelated to the next milestone which seemed ready to release.

Note that we are still working on the next (Slots/Wounds) milestone, as well! But those inventory and wound changes still have some work to be done before they are ready for players to try.

• Changed sleeping to restore tiredness 4x faster than normal (until a faster fast-forward system is added).
  • Changed nav station to show ship silhouettes when zoomed in close enough.
  • Changed nav station to scale ship icons based on relative ship size.
  • Fixed a bug that caused broken save files if captain name had invalid file system characters like '?'.
  • Added tutorial to use cycle crew hotkey after hiring first crew.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented tutorials from continuing after loading a save file.
  • Fixed a bug that caused tutorial objectives to not be flagged as new if they occurred while on non-subscribed ships.
  • Changed social combat UI to make it clearer that there are more available actions below the fold if the user scrolls down.
  • Fixed a bug that caused thermostats to get bad readings if installed in a place that overlaps a docked-ship's exterior.
  • Fixed a bug that caused derelicts to spawn too close together.
  • Fixed a bug that caused inventory and UI to both close if attempting to open inventory while control panel is open.
  • Fixed a bug that caused context menu options to remain open and on top of control panel after control panel opens.
  • Added 'clear' command to debug console UI, to clear previous log lines.
  • Added 'bugform' command to debug console UI, to take the user to the online bug submission form.
  • Changed self care kiosk in character creation to have green crosses instead of red, to avoid trademark issues.
  • Fixed a bug that caused strange lighting shadows when dragging lit items around in the ship editor. (E.g. battery)
  • Added a quit button to ship editor.

One of the bigger changes here is to make sleep restore characters faster. Previously, people required about 8 hours of sleep per day, and even at 16x fast forward, that was 30 minutes of waiting. Now, the wait time should be much lower, until we can develop a more powerful fast-forward system for long-term waiting.

Also, the nav station now shows ship silhouettes! If you zoom in really close, you'll see an approximate shape of the ship on the nav station map. The arrow icons for ships are also now scaled relative to each other, to give you an idea of relative sizes. Plus, derelicts should no longer spawn too close to each other.

We fixed a save file issue involving captains with invalid filename characters in it, as well as some bugs that prevented tutorials from appearing or showing as unread. Plus a new tutorial for how to cycle to the next crew member.

The social UI now has some visual cues to help you notice if there are more options below the fold, requiring scrolling down.

We also fixed a series of UI and other minor issues which could cause trouble, especially for new players unfamiliar with the controls/UI.

Best,
Daniel Fedor

gaussgunner

Arcane
Can you make a version of the game with just 2 pronouns?

Everything else is great.
It's the way society IS going, not the way it SHOULD go. He's in the business of making painfully realistic games, with only a few ridiculously optimistic fantasies (like space colonies and a proper apocalypse in the not too distant future) to please the masses.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1022980/view/3457104097706637335
Ostranauts "Taking Inventory" Update Is Live!
Hey Folks!

Ostranauts v0.10.0.7 is now available on Steam. Named "Taking Inventory," this patch represents a major feature update, and includes a batch of new content plus new gameplay systems to explore.

a2ce3ae6ce3dc7a3962bca338ab17e8366fab5c3.png

Named “Taking Inventory,” this update focuses on making the item inventory more realistic.

Your character now has more item slots, including a "drag" slot for moving bulky items around. (No more carrying around nuclear reactors in your back pocket. Sorry!) Plus, some items now have multiple pockets or other containers, which can be handy for carrying many smaller things on your person when your hands are full.

0.10 also adds a health system with more injury and medical effects, plus the tools and drugs to manage them. And an updated character creation process that lets you edit skills and traits in the same career history kiosk, and includes aging effects (and adds parents!).

Finally, there's a load of new items to fill these new needs, from clothing to meds, dollies, and ship storage options.

Old saves will not work in v0.10.x and later. However, we have created a new opt-in branch on Steam called "legacy_09" if you wish to continue your current v0.9.x character. See Steam's Tech Support forums for more info on opting-into other branches.

29b0138124471e3eb2789783227681944e5bf524.jpg

• Removed default 6x6 crew inventory storage grid
  • Added new “slots” on the crew’s body, like torso, legs, backpack, feet, etc.
  • Added ability to layer some clothes
  • Added more clothing items to utilise different layers of slots
  • Added pockets with inventory space to most clothing
  • Added pickup/drop sound effects to most items
  • Added backpack with side pouches
  • Added satchel with one side pouch
  • Added new item racks, bins, and underfloor storage for organizing items on ships
  • Changed corpses to only drop hand held items upon dying
  • Added “strip” interaction to corpses to drop backpack, clothes, and other slotted items
  • Added cargo webbing to allow storing of items outside of ships
  • Added jettison action to eliminate items when adjacent to void
  • Changed trading UI to show nested items in collapsible rows in Sell tab
  • Moved Social item inventory space to a show/hide button
  • Added visual indicators for when an item on the cursor is not compatible with a container.
  • Added visual indicators for inventory grids that are on the player vs. ground

94240f7c006b10f028f9f5fd9e96bf3f3c7e99ff.png

• Changed cumbersome items to no longer fit inside smaller containers (e.g. reactors)
  • Added specific drag slot for carrying cumbersome items
  • Added animation and item trailing effect when player is dragging
  • Changed player movement to be slower when dragging
  • Added “dolly” for dragging multiple large cumbersome items at once
  • Changed corpses to be draggable

4b399809f89edbf65e50d4b75b9bdcf888d76d53.png

• Changed career generation maximum age to be higher
  • Added adverse health effects to being older
  • Added a “Live Fast” option as a way to quickly gain skills, traits, money, and contacts, but with a risk of negative outcomes. (Similar to old career kiosk.)
  • Added a “Save Money” option for guaranteeing a small amount of cash for that career term.
  • Added a “Work on Skills” option for specifically gaining a desired skill, with more useful skills costing more time.
  • Added a “Work on Traits” option for specifically gaining or losing a desired trait, with more useful traits costing more time.
  • Added a “Seek ship” option for finding a ship to end your career history.
  • Added multiple new career events and choices.
  • Added “Risk” events which have high risk, high reward outcomes.
  • Added new hotrod starting ship option.

a5276bac8ac33ce1dc7737abd0bf1210bb0badaa.png

• Added wounds to specific parts of player’s body
  • Added bruising and breaking of bones
  • Added cuts and bleeding of wounds
  • Added infection and sepsis to untreated wounds
  • Added pain generated by wounds
  • Added painkillers to counteract pain
  • Changed work and movement rates to be slowed by pain
  • Added splints to aid broken bones
  • Added cloth to staunch bleeding
  • Changed alcohol and water to be able to clean wounds
  • Added knocking out to certain health effects (e.g. asphyxiation, alcohol poisoning)
  • Added CO2 to game
  • Added hypercapnia (CO2 poisoning) effects to game
  • Added CO2 Alarms that detect dangerously high CO2
  • Added CO2 scrubbers to environmental systems
  • Added CO2 canisters that can contain CO2 gas
  • Added smoking and smoking related interactions

• Changed game loading screen to contain a loading bar, loading details, and setting art
  • Added new zones for controlling crew behavior
  • Added barter zones that allow buying/selling remote ship contents with traders
  • Changed PDA to contain a homepage with a list of all apps
  • Changed PDA to have theme color
  • Changed PDA app list and theme color to be moddable
  • Fixed a bug that caused emotional clobber events to happen too often (especially on stations)
  • Changed sinks to allow drinking and refilling water pouches
  • Added two sizes of larger water flasks
  • Changed liquid water to stack 2 per tile
  • Changed water to allow freshening up hygiene
  • Changed RCS N2 and Atmo N2 to be refillable separately in the refuel kiosk
  • Changed work speed to increase while in a good mood
  • Changed work rate to be slowed by wearing EVA suit
  • Changed wearing EVA and pressure suits to hamper hygiene and sleep comfort
  • Changed several systems to improve game performance.
  • Added toggle to roster UI for enabling crew to repair as well as restore
  • Changed “Auto” restore to include doing repairs and patches
  • Changed Beds to have larger HP
  • Changed patched walls and floors to have smaller HP
  • Added new procedural ship name options
  • Changed CASH UI to only show red when the player owes unpaid transitions for the current shift
  • Changed key unbinding so certain game actions will always have a binding if the user exits the key binding menu without binding to them
  • Changed main menu to present a Quit confirmation button upon ESC key press
  • Fixed bug where player would experience heat exhaustion due to caffeine
  • Fixed a bug causing characters to automatically install items immediately after uninstalling
  • Fixed a bug that caused skill work speed multipliers to stack endlessly.
  • Fixed a bug leading NPCs to keep eating until stuffed and nauseous
  • Fixed several causes of the ghost items bug
  • Fixed a bug that allowed health conditions to sometimes give permanent traits/stats
  • Fixed N2 Alarm damage sprite
  • Fixed bug allowing damaged items to be used as inputs for installing undamaged items
  • Removed Damaged parts from the PDA build app
  • Added new “spawn” command in the debug console that gives the player item loots

a9e63804fcd4202b7abd3b4681064dab49bae7d9.png

First of all, we want to thank all of you for your patience as we got this milestone out. Despite our team having two new people to help since the last milestone, this milestone took longer than any other, by far.

Most of that comes down to the significant changes we had to make to many core systems for the new slots, wounds, dragging, and zones systems to work.

It also lays a lot of the groundwork we'll need for our next 0.11 milestone, Pistols and Punches. a.k.a. Personnel Combat! Should be some interesting months ahead :)

The biggest change in this update is undoubtedly the inventory system. Instead of having a giant storage cavity in your torso like before, you'll now be required to carry objects like a normal person.

The body has slots for just about everything now, in which you can wear clothes, hang items, drag things, or even equip bags.

Dragging, in particular, is likely to be a game changer, as it limits how many cumbersome things you can lug around at once. Fortunately, many of your clothes and bags come equipped with pockets and pouches, and even clip points, for carrying other items when your hands are full.

Another thing we added to help with item management is the zones UI. Now you can designate zones where you forbid crew from going, zones for barter access when trading with the Fixer, and even zones for storing items of certain types!

Plus, ships now have an array of new storage options, from underfloor bins, to free-standing racks, and even overhead wall compartments! (And you'll find many of our new items spawning in those as loot, depending on the theme of the room in which you find them.)

The new wound system was also a pretty big undertaking. Nearly every part of the body can now be cut or bruised, get infected, bleed, and feel pain. And it's your job to manage those issues with the new tools we give you, from bandages and pills, to splints and disinfectants.

Fortunately, there are still only limited ways to be injured in the game. But since crashing is one of them...fly carefully!

Finally, there was a pretty big change to our career kiosk. We merged the trait kiosk into it to make it a bit more convenient, and also split up the career kiosk into multiple areas to give players more control.

Now, instead of playing roulette each career term and choosing an option to hope you get the skills you want, you have a range of choices each career term. Some let you get exactly what you want, others are riskier but have bigger rewards. All of them should let you customize better than before.

They come with a cost, though: aging. Because you are born on OKLG, where every single thing is hostile to human life (micro-g, radiation, lack of sunlight or circadian rhythms, etc.), aging takes its toll faster than it would on Earth.

You'll start with the same drawbacks you did before, but after a few years, you'll start noticing the effects of age piling-up. And it'll be up to you to decide on the appropriate balance between getting what you want vs. paying the price.

There's more, of course! But those are some of the more immediately noticeable changes.

Best,
Daniel Fedor

Perkel

Arcane
Does AI crew can actually use those item slots ? I gather it was pain in ass to figure it out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom