Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Our Top 10 Favorite Adventure Games! [Vote]

CreamyBlood

Arcane
The Longest Journey
Grim Fandango
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Beneath a Steel Sky
Space Quest Series
Ringworld: Revenge of the Patriarch
Syberia series
Discworld
King´s Quest VI
Gateway

SolipsisticUrge

Educated
Longest Journey
Dreamfall
Star Trek: Judgment Rites
Beneath a Steel Sky
Blade Runner
Indigo Prophecy
Sanitarium
Heavy Rain (if it counts, don't see why it wouldn't though)
Broken Sword series
Monkey Island series

Project: Eternity
List:
Beneath A Steel Sky
Grim Fandango
Sanitarium
Blade Runner
Monkey Island series
The Last Express
Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit
The Void/Tension
I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
The Longest Journey

Okay! Now I'll go back to lurking.

asper

Arcane
Top 10. The usual boring stuff that everyone knows and lists already.

Monkey Island Series (First three games).
Full Throttle
The Last Express
Sanitarium
Grim Fandango
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Day of the Tentacle
Gabriel Knight 1
KGB
Bad Mojo (! forgotten gem!)

Everyone knows this stuff already so for those that are interested I'll give an alternate list.. If you're bored these are worth checking out...

Anchorhead (great IF lovecraft game)
Bureau 13 (multiple solutions, C&C)
Maniac Mansion (has C&C! different paths for every combination of characters you choose!!)
Nomad (Starflight but with more and better plot)
A Mind Forever Voyaging (IF science fiction, classic)
It Came from The Desert (parodies old horror flicks, mix of gameplay styles, has C&C!)
Dark Earth (action/adventure)
The Neverhood (clay animated adventure.. excellent)
Little Big Adventure (stylish isometric action/adventure)
Dune (adventure/strategy hybrid.. how often do you see that.. beautiful graphics)
Bioforge (great sf third person adventure/action, somewhat forgotten nowadays)
Discworld Noir (pratchett in noir setting)
The Great Escape (old c64 game.. timed events in prison camp have to be learned by the player and followed correctly, and in between a tunnel must be dug and concealed, and eventually you escape through it)
Waxworks - (horror, first person, nice atmosphere)
Commander Blood (It's shit, but how many games you know with this kind of opening sequence http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCWDNMH36kg )
Grandad - The Quest for the Holey Vest (I'll let the screenshot speak for itself)

1408533-copy_of_grab0002_super.png

asper

Arcane
For everyone listing Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit.... WTF?! There is NO gameplay there. It is a movie which shows on the screen which buttons to press... PLease explain how that is even a computer game.. not even why you can list it as one of the best adventure games....

asper said:
For everyone listing Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit.... WTF?! There is NO gameplay there. It is a movie which shows on the screen which buttons to press... PLease explain how that is even a computer game.. not even why you can list it as one of the best adventure games....
Calm down.
1.) Simon, if programmed to be playable on a computer, is a computer game.
2.) Okay, I will not explain why I can list it as one of the best adventure games.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I liked Fahenheit (for what it was :smug:) but I wouldn't call it an adventure game. Much less a good one.
Even calling Dreamfall an adventure game is a bit of a stretch (it's more of an interactive story), and Fahrenheit is way, way beyond that.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I also had fun with Fahrenheit, but was disappointed that the best character - Disco Shaft - didn't have so many chapters. Not a game to replay but hella lot better than that Heavy Rain bullshit.

Oh, and Dreamfall? Fuck Dreamfall. And fuck anyone who liked it and anyone who liked the voice acting. It was praised for excellent voice acting. The voice acting was shit! HOLY FUCKBALLS IN MY FACE DID IT SUCK!

corak

Novice
Quest for glory 1 and 2
Monkey Island 2
Colonel's bequest
Space Quest 1 and 2
Leisure Suit Larry 1 and 3

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Stainless Veteran said:
So, will we ever see compiled results? Just askin'.

I'm waiting for the topic to die down. So I'd appreciate it if you just post your favorites, not questions. If you have a question, feel free to PM me.

The Longest Journey
Bladerunner
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
Dreamweb
Beneath a Steel Sky
The Secret of Monkey Island
Snatcher
Discworld Noir
Grim Fandango
KGB

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The voting for our top 10 adventure games is now CLOSED. Nothing beyond this post will be counted, as well as one person's PM reply, who apparently does not read his PM's. Oh well.

I need to re-do my count another fucking time because I got a discrepancy 2 times. So as soon as I have a 100% discrepancy free count, I will create a new thread with the winners.

Thanks to all who voted!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom