Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

*out of date* - PS:T 1024x768 UI pack (v0.6)

I'm working on version 0.3. In the meantime, take a look at these screenshots and tell me what do you think about them.

new_bar_art_01.jpg

As you can see, I finally decided to work on something better to cover the black rectangles. That background is from the game files. Perhaps its color doesn't look quite right... I'll think about that.

new_jrnl_screen.jpg

Yes, it's true, the next release will have centered screens (taplonaplo found the right offsets in torment.exe, so I can center the windows without display problems). You will be able to choose between windows with or without background. This is the version with backgrounds. The background image is the same as above, taken from the game files and pasted multiple times. I think it's unobtrusive and blends nicely with the original 640x480 background. The "cables" in the lower right corner look like they are disappearing under the grates, and that's the best effect I've been able to do up to now.

taplonaplo said:
EDIT: Hmm, as a temporary solution maybe we can insert to the merchants dialog something like a MoveViewObject(Myself,INSTANT) and a SmallWait(3) before the StartStore. It sets back the camera to the player, so the area won't flicker when the store opens...But it takes rather long to edit all the dialog manually=/
It's a great idea actually, but as for me, I'll do everything else first. In the meantime I'll center the store window on a background.

taplonaplo

Scholar
Options are always nice to have

I've done the store dialogue fix with script. Problem is, it has some errors that are unrelated to my modifications i think, but i'd like to make sure before a release.

With the store ui finished as well, i covered mostly everything...except for loading screens. In my next version i'll include the option to omit them. While removing content is bad (and loading without loadingscreen has minor display issues as well), it may still look better than loading box in upperleft corner.

So v0.3 technically done, but before i make sure the errors are harmless no release.

taplonaplo

Scholar
Is it just me or with you too that when i increase the brightness and contrast the transparent areas around the modified images become green?(a good example is the video options with the widescreen mod)

Thrasher

Erudite
How about scaling up the UI (especially the radial thing) and the text?

taplonaplo said:
Is it just me or with you too that when i increase the brightness and contrast the transparent areas around the modified images become green?(a good example is the video options with the widescreen mod)
It happens to me as well, even if my pack is not installed. Didn't try without the widescreen mod.

Thrasher said:
How about scaling up the UI (especially the radial thing) and the text?
It's a lot of work, and on my 17'' everything looks fine now. I don't mind some buttons being tiny, and the action menu is of an appropriate size. I'm sorry, but you'll have to choose a lower resolution. If you want to scale up the text yourself, you can use Near Infinity to extract FONTDLG.BAM, then open it with BAMWorkshop and resize all the frames. Alternatively, replace the frames with another font entirely.

taplonaplo

Scholar
The Vanished One said:
taplonaplo said:
It happens to me as well, even if my pack is not installed. Didn't try without the widescreen mod.

It's not present in the original...neither if you are using the old mos files. It's only a problem for me with the map ui (as i need a 1280x background because relocating the mapnotes is tedious)

About resizing the action menu...wouldn't be that hard if you didn't need to resize ALL item and spell bams (over 600 i think). Sorry, that's a bit too much for me (especially to get those files exported to a format that can be effectively modified, tho maybe it can be done with script),as i think on 1280x800 (and obviously below) is absolutely readable.

Thrasher

Erudite
Ow.

Yes, i'd write a little prog to automatically do all the conversions. There's no reason why you'd ever want to do any major rescaling effort by hand.

I think these widescreen mods without UI/text scaling are only appropriate if you have a big ass screen or eagle eyes or a copacetic combination of the two..

taplonaplo said:
It's only a problem for me with the map ui (as i need a 1280x background because relocating the mapnotes is tedious)
I have the problem with other windows, the video options window itself for example, or the audio options window. On a side note, I use the same system for the map. No point in relocating all the notes after all, and less probability of doing something wrong.

taplonaplo

Scholar
Importing and exporting out the needed files should be no problem, but then comes my problem, as i can't batch convert them to a format i can easily work on.

@ vanished one: You could use the original 640x480 gpmos3(for some reason the bigg resizes it as well, i don't know why tho), and simply center the window.

taplonaplo

Scholar
i'm fine without a mos plugin. They are only one frame and half of them are maps anyway:).

EDIT: btw thrasher, the BAM file format is available at http://iesdp.gibberlings3.net/file_form ... bam_v1.htm and theres a program that can convert 2 bmps into a bam at http://teambg.eu/index.php?page=tools&cat=32 . so it's definatly possible to do, however i do not have the programming knowledge to write a program to do the batch converting bam frames into bmp, then repacking to bam. If you can do that, the rest of the ui modifying (chu and mos files) is easy.

Thrasher

Erudite
How do you convert a bam into a bmp?

EDIT: OK I see, no such prog exists. Surprised at that!

EDIT: looks like those tools have no instructions. yikes!

BAMWorkshop 2 can do that.

edit: and you can also copy each frame and copy it in paint, the GIMP (and any other image editing program I guess).

edit2: or export it directly of course, both BAMWorkshops do that.

Thrasher

Erudite
OK, so one would have to write one's own BAM to BMP batch converter, unless BAMWorkshop can be run from a DOS command line to do single file conversions at a time.

Then one could just write a looping script.

taplonaplo

Scholar
Bam workshop 1 can resize the stuff, so theoretically the conversion stuff could be skipped as well if you can order it to do certain commands. But i had some wierd effects when i reimported it into the game(the bam i resized in bam workshop).

maybe this is enough http://mods.pocketplane.net/toolfiles/bamresizer.zip , i need to test how it works first tho

EDIT: the bamresizer is way more convenient than the workshop(for resizing as it can do batch resize), but i have the same problem with it(resized bam flickers in inventory) and of course there's a quality loss with resizing.

taplonaplo, is the credits movie in the wrong position for you as well? After editing the offsets, all the cinematics are in the center, but not that one.

credits_wrong_position.jpg

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The credit screen is exactly the same in my game too (I've also centered the cinematics) . Strange, but it's not a big deal.

So, Vo and Tap, how exactly have you aligned the pictures in the bestiary? Changing the offsets in the exe didn't do anything.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
taplonaplo said:
Extracted all the images then using a macro did the sametransformations in an image editor.
http://rapidshare.com/files/138043190/j ... s.zip.html
Here's the zip with the images if you are centering 1280x800 ui.

I have the same thing with credits and i knew about it (haven't tried to change anything about it yet).

Thanks a lot taplonaplo!

BTW has anyone got any problems with the microsoft .NET program after exiting the game? I get a .NET runtime error sometimes when exiting Torment and a strange "GDI+ window" error when I try to shutdown the pc. It's nothing serious but it seems that Torment is responsible.

Hasn't happened to me, so I can't help you.

As for the journal pics, I also edited DEFAULT.BMP to have transparent rounded corners, just like all the other images, because there's a shadow in the lower left corner that wouldn't blend properly with the background.

DEFAULT.jpg

Also, where is IMAGE.BMP used? I don't think I've seen it in the journal.

taplonaplo

Scholar
Start a new game, talk to morte, and click on journal immediately
You should have no npc known, and thus you can see image.bmp:D

Let me check if torment is the responsible for my shutdown problems...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom