Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Overwatch

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Probably same as HoTS: daily quests with buy a hero/skins.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That's true. Just the skins then. Valve makes enough off of hats.

Played it for a bit, ain't bad actually. Healing is barely noticeable and is more of a "let me patch you up after the battle" or "here's a relatively weak shield to absorb a few shots" (on a 5-6 sec cd), no "you are an unstoppable juggernaut now" nonsense. The only complaint is certain characters being a bit OP (fucking Pharah), but there's plenty of time for balancing and tuning.

It also runs really well and loads pretty fast on my mediocre PC. Compared to an almost decade old TF2.

It play much faster, and i don't just mean performance. Healing isn't as annoying. Classes are a bit different but diverse enough (4 characters per 'class').

For me at least it seems like an improvement over TF2 in almost every single way, at it's core it's pretty much the same game though (class based shooter, similar mechanics, similar objectives).

abija

Prophet
They probably can't do the buy hero thing because the game relies on changing team comp during play so people need access to all the duders.
Can't really see the issue, the lol model should work well enough. Provide some free heroes each week, require a number of heroes for ranked play. It's actually more forgiving since you can have a hero any number of times in a team.

Was it confirmed f2p? Wouldn't be surprised if they jew it up a bit.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Can't really see the issue, the lol model should work well enough. Provide some free heroes each week, require a number of heroes for ranked play. It's actually more forgiving since you can have a hero any number of times in a team.
It's different because roles aren't as interchangeable between characters as in lol.

abija

Prophet
It's different because roles aren't as interchangeable between characters as in lol.
You get a char of each role free though? Can't really see the problem. You'll be able to play, being optimal with f2p was never a concern for any game using a similar model.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Oh? Are they going to have a shitload of heroes? Seems odd for a team-based FPS. TF2 has what... eight or nine classes and that's it? Yeah I suppose you can monetize the game on character sales if you have 30+ of them. Seems like it would be a balancing nightmare, though.

omega21

Arcane
Each char in TF2 has a plethora of weapons that can greatly affect play style though, and balance just about works (in my non competitive FPS player opinion). Overwatch's approach is to make a whole new character instead, which is a lot more effort than just a weapon since they gotta put in a lot more design, not to mention voice work plus animation. Doesn't really seem as suited to milking to me.

TF2 engineer: normal sentry or mini-sentry, plus equipment to aid its deployment
Overwatch: normal sentry dorf, mini-sentry Indian techie, play as the sentry robot

TF2 sniper has a bunch of guns and a bow and arrow
Overwatch has the sniper girl and Hanzo with the not-Huntsman

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
There's no way they are going to balance those many characters so i'm going to assume if there is a difference it will be minor. I'm guessing each character will just be a variant of the same basic class.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
There's no way they are going to balance those many characters so i'm going to assume if there is a difference it will be minor. I'm guessing each character will just be a variant of the same basic class.
They're p. different as characters within the same role play nothing alike so far but I'm not sure how far they'll push the roster.

In any case they can't really balance a big roster, that's why competitive meta in those games full of characters is always just a fraction of the available ones.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm sure it'll be announced at Derpcon tomorrow but early word is they're going to charge $40 for PC download version of Overwatch. There will also be console versions.

:kingcomrade:

notnx

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Unless the game has a shitload of microtransactions I wouldn't expect to see it at 75% off for four or five years. The lowest they've sold Diablo 3 is around 50% off barring one or two retailers going rogue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom