Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OwlCat approach to balance. They are 100% right!

Delterius

Arcane
Yeah I linked to the wrong post somehow, I meant to link to https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...urn-based-combat.123213/page-138#post-5913642 which specifically had
I really disliked most of the CNPCs, I really disliked being forced to go find Imoen, I really disliked the style of dialogue, and I really disliked being flooded with a million quests by every shmoe on the streets of Athkatla. Basically, there wasn't a whole lot I did like about it.
That does make more sense, yeah. Without that bit it reads like Sawyer only had very specific complaints about BG2. But here he outright says that he thought most of the companions sucked, and that he didn't like BG2 a whole lot. I can see Minsc and Imoen souring someone's experience of the game. And I can see where Icewind Dale came from.

I suppose it proves what we've known all along: PoE1 should have been made in the style of White March.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Good lord! I got so lost reading this I fell asleep. Would i fall asleep playing these games as well?

It does seem like all versions of D&D eventually bloated up with additional rules and race/classes.
OD&D(mhhh hmmm)
Moldvay D&D (if you really consider expert bloat)
Mentzer D&D/BB/RC (yeup bloat)
1e-1.5 (figures it would happen)
2e-2.5 (yep)
3e-3.5(obviously)
4e??? Fuck if I know
5e (definitely)
Etc etc

I'm not so sure on Holmes though. Of all editions this one always seemed like it straddled the OD&D/1e fence. It is an edition anomaly. You know, people even added rules to Dungeon! the board game (unoffically though).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom