Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oxygen Not Included - space colony sim from Klei

Hellraiser

Arcane
The steam rocket is an insurmountable hurdle to me. I tried launching it twice, and both times I gave up because I just couldn't be bothered going through the ass pain necessary to get it working. Unless I'm missing something terribly obvious.

This was something I had to shamefully google* as I initially had no clue how to raise water's temperature above 100C without using a volcano, lava or whatever. I originally wanted to use a tepidizer, but I did not realize those things have a maximum temperature limit well below the boiling point of water (space heaters also do IIRC).

Turns out the best way is to use an aquatuner since when it cools the pipe contents it dumps heat into its surroundings and it just so happens to work while submerged in a liquid. Yeah, so apparently the thing which is best to cool shit also happens to be the best in heating shit, since it does not delete heat, just shifts it around.

The rest is just figuring out the standard engineering problems, such as how not to have pipes break or shit overheat (maintenance inside a boiler filled with steam is a bad idea), or the heat/steam from the boiler escaping to warm things you do not want to be heated.

*in my defence the next big engineering problem with rocketry, producing liquid oxygen, I figured out on my own and without using super coolant (super coolant makes the problem trivial). Game is more fun if you figure designs out yourself, but some things such as the aquatuner being the most practical heating machine are just not so obvious.

Last edited:

7h30n

Augur
Turns out the best way is to use an aquatuner since when it cools the pipe contents it dumps heat into its surroundings and it just so happens to work while submerged in a liquid. Yeah, so apparently the thing which is best to cool shit also happens to be the best in heating shit, since it does not delete heat, just shifts it around.

This I found out on my 1st run when heat was starting to become an issue. I was like "Hmm, let's try that Aquatuner thing, it says it cools stuff". Imagine my surprise when it started overheating and half of my colony died from being burned alive trying to repair the damn thing.

i waited so long to try it. i should have kept waiting. despite the tools to transform this resource into that, mant of the few techs are mandatory, advancing through the game requires very specific steps at very specific moments, in the end there is one and only one way to develop the base.

I don't see how techs being mandatory is a bad thing? The whole point of the game is that at the beginning you can't sustain your dupes' lives for long just living off the natural environment. You need food and oxygen to make a stable base. Then doing that produces side effects like pollution, consumption of input resources, and heat, which need to be dealt with through more advanced processes before things spiral out of control and your base dies. That's the whole point of the game. If techs weren't mandatory to have a stable base, if you could just exist until cycle 100 without a single tech, then what would be the point of building all those advanced systems and layouts? In fact the problem is that you run out of mandatory techs, the second half of the tech tree is mostly useless fluff and there's no incentive to progress past the half way point.

There's not really only one way to do most things. For most things there tends to be two ways, one involving buildings and one involving wildlife. There's also differences in the order and manner in which you solve problems depending on what map you select. Some maps are awash in algae, some have none at all, some have much more pressing heat problems, some are metal-poor. These constraints have a big effect on the early to midgame though eventually you have basically unlimited everything.

*in my defence the next big engineering problem with rocketry, producing liquid oxygen, I figured out on my own and without using super coolant (super coolant makes the problem trivial). Game is more fun if you figure designs out yourself, but some things such as the aquatuner being the most practical heating machine are just not so obvious.

It's actually kind of accurate. Your refrigerator is actually really good at moving heat into the local environment, its way more efficient than any electric heater would be. It's just that its slow, whereas the aquatuner is absurdly fast and overpowered at what it does.

This I found out on my 1st run when heat was starting to become an issue. I was like "Hmm, let's try that Aquatuner thing, it says it cools stuff". Imagine my surprise when it started overheating and half of my colony died from being burned alive trying to repair the damn thing.

Yeah, one thing about ONI is that it makes you respect how heavy water is and how much heat it can hold. Cooling down a few blocks of water can raise your entire base's atmosphere to sweltering levels.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
WTF. What's difficult on producing 130C steam, and moving it through pipes to the rocket? Of course it would cool a little in pipes, and then there would be problem with too much steam in pipes after filling the rocket to the brim, but it's not that difficult.

Moving liquid oxygen through 30 tiles of pipes is more difficult, but when pipes cools down, it becomes easier. Also who would use super coolant for making liquid oxygen? It's easy without super coolant.

Actually it's kinda funny, because making liquid oxygen can be done by crazy way, or easy way. It's fun to try both.

Turns out the best way is to use an aquatuner
Naw, the best way is making steel.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Also who would use super coolant for making liquid oxygen? It's easy without super coolant.

Easy? With hydrogen gas sure it is easy to set up and you can do it sooner*, just not as efficient. Super coolant has almost 4 times the heat capacity and an aquatuner consumes two times less power to cool 1kg of mass than a thermo regulator. This means you either use more power or it takes much more time to cool the oxygen. Super coolant is more convenient and far less of a hassle to use in all cases, except for the beefy 1200W power requirement of the aquatuner (but it doesn't have to run the whole time, just enough to make sure the LOX doesn't vaporize).

*it is arguable if the availability is even a factor, unless you are getting liquid oxygen for some other reason than rocket propellant. Apart from farming science data with steam rockets, it is likely you will have rockets capable of lifting cargo modules to get enough fullerene sooner than you will finish researching liquid oxygen tanks for rockets.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Easy? With hydrogen gas sure it is easy to set up and you can do it sooner*, just not as efficient. Super coolant has almost 4 times the heat capacity and an aquatuner consumes two times less power to cool 1kg of mass than a thermo regulator. This means you either use more power or it takes much more time to cool the oxygen. Super coolant is more convenient and far less of a hassle to use in all cases, except for the beefy 1200W power requirement of the aquatuner (but it doesn't have to run the whole time, just enough to make sure the LOX doesn't vaporize).
Aka when in stage 2 aquatuner gets liquid oxygen into itself and produce more cold liquid oxygen. Then something else activates and user who created smart solution found 2kW wire running through the half of the base can't support that well, even when he'd have enough energy for running aquatuner.

Considering how long it takes to one rocket to get to target, and return, slow and steady that eaten half electricity won the race. Because otherwise I'd have to rewire half base, and I lacked metal.

Hellraiser

Arcane
After weeks of autistic steam build stalking, autists hungry of RAD gameplay spotted the DLC appearing in the steam public branch today-ish I think.

A less RAD possibility is we get a patch first, but the DLC mention in the steam builds is a new thing, especially in the public branch which was not updated. In past weeks they just updated demo or development branches, so something is up. I'm fabulously optimistic they are gonna release it at least in beta/EAs soon, but who knows.

2020-10-23_20-45-14.png.5c826f5decfc8eb41d08e3fb623ed17c.png

2020-10-23_21-00-56.png.0f459528471b1daa39e4545f688ab2b7.png

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Good news, Spaced Out DLC Alpha is available for public testing.

Bad news, the radiation/nucular system is not yet reading for testing. So only the new space system (with mid-game tech) and biome is available currently. Going to need to wait a few weeks (I guess?) to LARP Dyatlov.

Also you need to sign up and they choose testers randomly. But there is no NDA at least and you don't need to pre-purchase the DLC, just own the base game.

It said in the sign-up that this testing will last 3 weeks, but I dunno if that is correct, since no NUCULAR yet and I guess that would need at least some testing weeks as well due to being a new system (hopefully shit can transmute from alpha/beta particles).

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/123480-oxygen-not-included-dlc-public-alpha-test/

What to Expect
Here's what you can expect to find in Spaced Out so far:

• New Multi-World Gameplay! The Starmap and space program have been completely redesigned to allow you to span your Duplicant civilization across multiple planetoids, each with their own resources to contribute.
  • Brand New Starting World! The Swamp start, along with its supporting biomes, provides a new, different mixture of resources to exploit as you nurture your fledgling colony.
  • Mid-Game Rocketry! The rocket mechanics have been completely redesigned to make rocketry part of your colony's core infrastructure, rather than just an end-game goal.
    • Rocket tech is easier to research and is more integrated with the rest of the tech tree.
    • The surface of the starting planetoid is a lot less hostile, and new early-game tech is being added to ease the transition into space.
  • Multi-Colony UI Improvements! The Diagnostics side panel and redesigned Resources screen have been expanded to manage your attention across planetoids.
Future Plans (Not Ready Yet!)
Because this alpha is focused on stability and building out compelling gameplay around the features listed above, here's what you will not find in Spaced Out just yet:

• Radiation/Nuclear Systems: We've put lots of work into the underlying mechanics of this system already, although it’s still not quite at a point where we're ready to test and receive feedback on it. Radiation systems should become available for testing later in alpha, once the existing features and systems are in good shape.
  • Late-Game Planetoids and Rocketry: There's still a lot of content to make for this DLC, and we feel it's important to focus on the early and mid game content first.
  • Rare Resources and Global Sustainability: We have plans for how we want to distribute geysers, resources, and other sustainable solutions in the late game, but are holding off on expanding on these ideas until we feel comfortable with the early and mid game content.
  • Mods: Our primary goal during this early alpha period is to make the game stable and ensure that the gameplay we've added so far is functioning as intended. To ensure the crashes and bug reports we receive are relevant, we've temporarily disabled mods in the alpha branch.

EDIT:

Some new stuff from the expansion people posted, not everything just the bits I think are the most interesting so far:

b2.PNG.88109539c76035e49ea45db704b31463.PNG

Seems like we will be able to convert critters to hydrogen with this new carnivorous plant! Also possibly a way to automatically slaughter critters? Not sure what the plant meat effect means. But either way imagine the possibilities! :bounce:

f2.PNG.bfc7e995ef4dde2581ac6b968e54c035.PNG

Well, I guess this solves my problem of converting bleach stone to chlorine en masse.

a4.PNG.978c9946349cec9885b9e59e7d3508c4.PNG

Space bee keeping will be a thing.

ell.PNG.b9c855cb665947c211003a67d8e2e628.PNG

Oxygen masks for that low tech work in awful atmospheres before exosuits.

wwwww.PNG.3fb09dd8849008c8f7b0d1e3946cfa1f.PNG

More new means of getting hydrogen. Also doubles as a way to cover the nightly power production drop from solar panels I guess.

Also apparently Pacus can now eat seeds, which is a good idea. And deodorizers use 5 watts of power now instead of being unpowered.

Also rocket construction is less of a pain in the ass, now you first build a pad and use it to plan out all modules in advance instead of one by one. One guy mentioned a scaffolding, so I guess dupes use it to build the rocket and you don't need to build ladders or get jet suits anymore. Oh and as I thought it seems the new lowest tech rocket uses CO2, so that's yet another use for CO2.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Rocket crew modules actually have interiors now. Major incline! Also makes sense since I guess the landing sites on other asteroids might be less than habitable.

shp.thumb.PNG.ff450cf59108218c6a422a62a627e5f7.PNG

Microwave ovens are for losers, bring out the gamma ray ovens for making popcorn.

pop.PNG.74d856f93f9d37023eb64444566d2fc0.PNG

Also there is new shit around the map, such as teleporters (connects two asteroids without needing to fly rockets between them) and warp conduits. Not sure what the latter do, maybe they power the teleporter.

Man this is shaping up to be a fucking great expansion, and that is even before we get to see what radiation and nuke tech work like.

EDIT:

How about some RAD new creature breeds eating uranium and depleted uranium? Ignore the Taco-speak text.

vagalume.png.066ff2a798240513415fee06d591ac3b.png

I guess the regolith is also on the nuclear diet menu due to containing tasty trace atoms of helium-3 from solar wind for fusion.

BTW I got into the Alpha, some random shit I saw so far:

Duplicant random generation and traits have been expanded. Now you can sometimes roll dupes that start with a skill, such as the tier 3 mining skill allowing them to dig through abyssalite without leveling up first or grilling to start cooking food withotu spending the starting skillpoint.

Two low-tech rocket engine options, one runs on Sucrose (there's a new critter that eats sulfur which now can also be found in deposits, and the critter shits sugar, also a new plant can also be harvested for sucrose) and the other as previously mentioned runs on CO2. Apparently before you land you need/can send a rover to scout a planetoid.

There is a new swamp biome is, shitload of polluted dirt tiles, but also mud and polluted mud. Pure water and dirt is scarce, which is a bit of a difficulty for farming and research, but there's some new tech to get around that. For one there's a new building to turn mud into dirt pumping out the water with pipes, also works analogously for polluted mud. Also there's a new swamp plant that eats just polluted water making it a very good alternative to farming Bristle Berries as far as fully renewable easy farming goes, without having to find or produce more dirt. On the flip side there are no other plants to farm in a swamp biome, so I guess this balances itself out along.

Cobalt is a new metal ore found in this biome. Also apparently some planetoids can have nobium deposits deep in the core under lava and you can start the game on one of these if you want. When starting a new game you select a cluster and can pick any planetoid from it it apparently. UI and graphcis are a bit WIP for this at the moment.

Wild plug slugs are a great to help your early game power grid. They give 400 Watts during the short night period. Research large batteries, build a small battery bank and drag a cable. Will save you decent amounts of dupe-time otherwise spent running on the hamsterwheel generator. They always sleep in the same spots hanging from the ceiling and the "power socket" is in the lower tile (they are 2 tiles long, kind of like Dreckos).

They also generate 1600 Watts during the night when tamed apparently, and you get hydrogen from eating metal ores which you can burn for power as well. I think these might be quite viable as a power source on a metal rich spacerock or later in the game when metal scarcity stops being an issue.

Seafood such as cooked fish increases radiation resistance somehow according to the description. Hopefully absorbing RADs leads to weird ass mutations.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I liked when colony had strong risk of being killed at turn 50. And when you had to do weird ideas just to prevent them to spend too much time running wheels and not doing anything else. Frankly coal plant with all its issues was REALLY helpful for saving time otherwise spend by charging batteries by running in wheels.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I just hope they optimize things more or else my FPS will probably go into the single digits.
I can write decent underlying model in Java. It's not difficult. They are using grid, thus a few simple arrays can handle it fairly well.

How many squares is on map in ONI? 2^8 * 3*2^7 That means 3*2^15 calculations per update per simulated element.

They said something about making maps smaller with multiple asteroids... Dunno if that also meant they would make original asteroid smaller. They might to encourage exploration.

Hellraiser

Arcane
They said something about making maps smaller with multiple asteroids... Dunno if that also meant they would make original asteroid smaller. They might to encourage exploration.

The asteroid is indeed smaller I guess the other non-cluster start is a single asteroid but in the old size. One thing that is easier is solar power as it appears at least on my asteroid no meteorite showers happen, so the moment you get glass you can just put down those panels. Maybe they'll nerf them or do something else. However since the asteroid is less narrow it is easier to run out of surface area for solar panels so I guess late game is harder power-wise.

Otherwise the small size also makes it harder IMO. For one there are fewer total biomes, and I have no oil around and just a few tiles of coal deep underground close to lava, the planetoid's core sucks because there's just magma and rock there. Also I have no source of reed fiber and most of the planetoid is the ice biome.

Had two dupes die out of starvation because I didn't excavate and heat up a new farming area fast enough. In hindsight I should have just started farming sleet wheat as a gluten-rich stopgap.

I already built a small CO2 rocket (you just need any refined metal) but the bottleneck is now dupe skill level/morale so it is standing idle on the pad for something like 40 cycles while I figure out how to boost morale. I imagine that since the rocket has an interior now that is simulated, dupenaut morale can no longer be ignored during spaceflight.

Also I checked out the teleportation. You can send one dupe once every couple of cycles and the sender needs to recharge, unfortunately like the neural vaccilator(sp) you need to click on complete for the warp to finish. You might also find a frozen dupe in a cryochamber or something that can join your colony next to the receiver teleporter on the other side. I think those guys have boosted stats, but I didn't wake one yet. There's some food in a ration box next to the teleporters so I guess maybe one dupe could survive long enough for the sender teleporter to recharge and send him back to the base.

The warp pipe requires you to activate the sender and the receiver on both sides and afterwards it can be used to teleport liquids, gas or solids through the relevant input ports (it has all 3) into the output ports on the connected planetoid. Combined with the slow recharge of the teleporter this means you need to send one dupe to dig and build his way to the warp conduit on the other side and activate them.

Oh and BTW, I think they changed the switch and now a dupe no longer needs to perform a task to flip it but it happens automatically when the player click on the button.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Good news, the DLC is going to be out in early access next week on the 8th of December. Bad news, nucular tech and rads won't be in yet. My assumption is they will come later in early access, but this was not yet clarified when a Klei staff member was asked about this, possibly due to the question being asked after their office hours. They mentioned it would have an update/development cycle typical to what ONI had before 1.0 so who knows.

Anyway I'm looking forward to the new space stuff and warp conduits shaking up logistics and exploration. Those systems have a lot of potential from what I saw in the Alpha. Plus I just want to build mass drivers (someone found them in the debugger) to shoot raw materials across the void of spess.

https://forums.kleientertainment.co...ed-out-coming-to-steam-early-access/#comments

Oxygen Not Included Spaced Out! Coming to Early Access!

We wanted to run a low profile alpha test for the DLC to try to take care of any show-stopping bugs before Early Access and you all came through with a ton of great feedback and bug reports. Thank you all so much!

With that, we are excited to announce that Oxygen Not Included: Spaced Out! will enter Steam Early Access on December 8th! The starting price for the DLC will be $14.99usd and will require ownership of the base game Oxygen Not Included. The final launch price has not been determined, but will likely be higher to reflect the growing size of the game.

Registration is now closed and we're going to shut down the alpha on December 7th while we prepare everything to go live the following morning.

Those of you that registered but were not selected have now been granted access. There is still plenty of time to file those bug reports and post suggestions and feedback, so have at it!

Once again, thanks for all your feedback and excitement - See you on December 8th!

Oxygen Not Included Spaced Out!
The Duplicants are back again, and this time they're ready to rebuild their colonies from the mysterious remains of a planet torn asunder!

In Oxygen Not Included: Spaced Out! you'll spearhead space missions to new and undiscovered Planetoids, transport resources between bases, and manage multiple worlds on the fly to build a megacolony that not only survives, but hopefully, thrives.

New Multi-World Gameplay
Put your colony management skills to the test by juggling the needs of Duplicants in multiple colonies simultaneously. Switch between planets in real time and secure rare resources on other worlds to supply your home base.

Expanded Rocketry
Customize new modular rockets to your liking, then explore the expanse of space with the newly overhauled Starmap. Huge expansions to the Research Tree provide new mid-game Rocketry options, giving your Duplicants an edge in the asteroid space-race.

New Critters
Get acquainted with some new fuzzy friends - if you're nice, they might help you out around the colony!

New Resources, Biomes, Tech and More:
Tons of new biomes to explore, tech to research, and resources to mine. There's a whole new universe out there - discover it all in Oxygen Not Included: Spaced Out!

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
DLC is out in early access but unfortunately it is content-wise the same as the Alpha at the moment. So no late game rocket engines (and probably no means of reaching all asteroids), locked starting biome to swamp with the other choices disabled, no balanced geyser/asteroid generation yet and no radiation. I would wait with playing until the first content update with later game rocket engines and world gen changes, since without access to all asteroids in the space map generated (6 at the moment) and without better geyser generation there's not much of a late game.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/124601-spaced-out-enters-early-access/#comments

Roadmap will come sometime later after feedback (I guess maybe December).

What to Expect

Here's what you can expect to find in Spaced Out! so far:

• New Multi-World Gameplay! The Starmap and space program have been completely redesigned to allow you to span your Duplicant civilization across multiple planetoids, each with their own resources to contribute.
  • Brand New Starting World! The Swamp start, along with its supporting biomes, provides a new, different mixture of resources to exploit as you nurture your fledgling colony.
  • Mid-Game Rocketry! The rocket mechanics have been completely redesigned to make rocketry part of your colony's core infrastructure, rather than just an end-game goal.
    • Rocket tech is easier to research and is more integrated with the rest of the tech tree.
    • The surface of the starting planetoid is a lot less hostile, and new early-game tech is being added to ease the transition into space.
  • Multi-Colony UI Improvements! The Diagnostics side panel and redesigned Resources screen have been expanded to manage your attention across planetoids.
Future Plans (Not Ready Yet!)

Spaced Out is still in development. We've got a solid foundation with features listed above, and here's some planned systems and improvements that will be coming in the following months. You will not find these in Spaced Out just yet:

• Radiation/Nuclear Systems: We've put lots of work into the underlying mechanics of this system already, although it’s still not quite at a point where we're ready to test and receive feedback on it. Radiation systems should become available for testing later in Early Access, once the existing features and systems are in good shape.
  • Late-Game Planetoids and Rocketry: There's still a lot of content to make for this DLC, and we feel it's important to focus on the early and mid game content first.
  • Rare Resources and Global Sustainability: We have plans for how we want to distribute geysers, resources, and other sustainable solutions in the late game, but are holding off on expanding on these ideas until we feel comfortable with the early and mid game content.
  • Mods: We currently have mods disabled to ensure that the feedback we're getting is specific to the content and balance that currently exists in the game and to reduce unrelated bug reports. As Spaced Out! becomes more stable and gets closer to final release, we'll turn mods back on.
Early Access Timelines and Release

As always, we're dedicated to making a great game and not rushing things out the door, and we want to make sure that you all have a chance to help with the development of this game. We're developing Spaced Out! in Early Access, as we did with the Oxygen Not Included base game. We'll be putting out regular updates to add additional content to the DLC and working towards its release. We will be releasing a new roadmap shortly after Early Access launch once we gather initial feedback from players.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Hello everyone!

I want to take a moment to announce that we have agreed to deal for Tencent to purchase a majority stake in Klei Entertainment.

As part of this agreement, Klei retains full autonomy of creative and operations across all aspects of the studio, including projects, talent, and more.

What’s going to change?
There are some boring accounting changes that we will need to adjust to. Other than that, I will continue running the studio as before, with no changes to staffing, projects or other operations.

Why are we doing this?
Klei has been around for 15 years, and we have made many changes over the years in order to respond to a changing world. Consistently, my wish has been to enable people to do their best creative work, to learn and grow, to not have to worry about finances, and be able to enjoy their lives outside the studio. This has not changed.

This partnership helps us navigate a changing industry, and helps us focus on what we do best: making unique experiences that no one else can.

Who is Tencent?
Tencent has been in the games industry for many years, investing in companies that produce games such as Path of Exile, League of Legends, PUBG, Clash of Clans, Fortnite, and more.

In 2016, Tencent helped us distribute Klei games in China, with Don’t Starve Together being the very first game to launch on their WeGame platform. More recently, we’ve been collaborating with them on Don’t Starve: Newhome on mobile.

Why Tencent?
We looked at a lot of different companies, and over the years, we’ve worked with a large number of publishers and distributors. Tencent is the only company that we felt would let us retain the level of control that we demand.

We’ve been working with Tencent for years and even at points where we disagreed, they were always willing to work with us to find the best solution for everybody involved and defer to us when we felt strongly.

How does this affect Klei games in China?
As mentioned, we’ve been working with Tencent for quite some time. We worked with them to launch Don’t Starve Together in China in 2016, and have been working with them on our China launches ever since.

Players in China make up a large proportion of the players of our games, and we have been supporting them alongside our North American operation for several years. We don’t expect significant operational changes for China or anywhere else in the world, but we do expect that this partnership will help us to better support our players in China.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Looks like someone got another retirement package
Like you wouldn't sell your studio for dozens of millions dorra or more.

I know I would. To fucking Kim Jong-un, in an instant.

Btw I don't really care that much, Don't Starve is one of my favourite gaymz ever but the other Klei games aren't really my jam.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Looks like someone got another retirement package
Like you wouldn't sell your studio for dozens of millions dorra or more.

I know I would. To fucking Kim Jong-un, in an instant.

Btw I don't really care that much, Don't Starve is one of my favourite gaymz ever but the other Klei games aren't really my jam.
I wouldn't. There is only so much developer integrity someone could have. If they wanted their own studio and team, they could do that without buying someone else.

Also game development studio is only as great as team it uses. Nobody can block developers to move to other studios. That's large pitfall for investors into software companies. Quality developers doesn't grow on trees, and these that are high end don't like to work for someone else.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Did you still not understand it?

Those developers have read books like Paul Grahams and go after a "retire after 10 years work" schedule.

If the payout was big enough they will never make another game in their life.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Did you still not understand it?

Those developers have read books like Paul Grahams and go after a "retire after 10 years work" schedule.

If the payout was big enough they will never make another game in their life.

Starting to remind me of tech startups. Make product, fish for tech giants, sell out and never be heard of again.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
On one hand, tencent is cancer. On the other...
I remember one guy mocked Tom Anderson for his MySpace being outperformed by Facebook and overall dead social network.
Only to be mocked in turn by Tom that he sold MySpace for 580 000 000$ and don't have to work until the end of his life while this guy slaving every day for 8 hours hoping for a 30 minute break.
So I kind of understand them.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
On one hand, tencent is cancer. On the other...
I remember one guy mocked Tom Anderson for his MySpace being outperformed by Facebook and overall dead social network.
Only to be mocked in turn by Tom that he sold MySpace for 580 000 000$ and don't have to work until the end of his life while this guy slaving every day for 8 hours hoping for a 30 minute break.
So I kind of understand them.

This.

Plus why exactly is Tencent cancer? Except for being commie? Is it EA cancer? Activision cancer? Bethesda cancer?
I'm not trying to shill for them, I barely know anything about them, but so far I haven't seen or read anything suggesting Tencent is raeping customers with a barbed dildo like the various Kwan tryple-A corporations do.

90% of what people use IRL comes from China or some other Gookistan but buying gaymz from the Chinks is suddenly eww?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom