Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Palworld - basically pro slavery Pokemon game - now available on Early Access

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Digimon might work, but that series has mostly been about the bond between one person and one Digimon (unless the later series mixed things up), so that might require some tooling. Or if you want to go heavy on the RPG elements over the monster breeding, a fully 3D Geneforge.
Digimon is all over the place but Digimon World 2 already had multiple Digimon per Tamer. The TV series sticks (mostly) to one Digimon per Tamer but outside of that it's whatever the makers want to do. Cyber Sleuth treats them exactly like Pokemon while Next Order gives you 2 partners (the 2 most recent games)

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I've got complaints but there is a solid base here and I have no idea why people have an aneurysm when an unknown game vaults to unexpected heights. It has a low price and has some decent ideas.

People have pre-existing biases.

If something is good on its own merits, then it's good.

That being said, this game is clearly formulated to be popular with broad audiences, so that's one mark against it.

But if it's enjoyable and brings new ideas, then what does the above matter?

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
But if it's enjoyable and brings new ideas, then what does the above matter?
When you consider how miserable Pokemon has been since the DS days being enjoyable is a new idea. It sounds so stupid but it's true. Pokemon has become so poorly made it's hard to enjoy it. You play it to see what the new merchandise will feature while slogging through awful dialog and poorly made everything. Pal world cuts out so many of Pokemons problems and lets you play right off the bat.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
This page has a lot of tweets with the ripoffs

https://www.ign.com/articles/pokmon-fans-are-coming-for-palworld-with-a-vengeance

Don't think Nintendo can do anything, nobody would think this is an actual Pokemon game and the ripoffs aren't identical enough.

Look how generic some of these things are. Nintendo has been riding their brand since the first game. It's why Digimon was able to get any traction despite blatantly ripping them off too.

See, it turns out that people just want to collect cute, generic anime animals and battle them. It's almost like this appeals to some base instinct from an ancient practice or something.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Since it's early in the thread I'll add that it's from the Craftopia devs
>3 years and still in EA
>makes another game
This is the main reason I don't want to buy it, but maybe with all the publicity they'll hire some new people. (doubt)
Only buy an early access game if you're happy with what they have released now. Never buy on future promises.
Look how generic some of these things are. Nintendo has been riding their brand since the first game. It's why Digimon was able to get any traction despite blatantly ripping them off too.
Digimon had nothing to do with Pokemon. Bandai thought Tamagotchis were for girls and wanted a version for boys. Digimon grew out of that and was well on it's way to being it's own thing long before Pokemon could have any impact on it. Digimon got traction because cool monsters fighting is cool and pokemon coming along at the same time helped it but wasn't in any way the origin for it. Almost all of the original Digimon are Godzilla/Ultraman rip offs and would have been designed when pokemon was barely scraping top 10 in Japanese charts and people were considering it a failure if there was any cross over at all

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Only buy an early access game if you're happy with what they have released now. Never buy on future promises.
Except they might change it. Like they did with BG3.

The original EA for BG3 didn't have pronouns, promises of bear sex or male NPCs that hit on you relentlessly. Astarion would hit on a male PC one time iirc, and only if you spoke to him at the goblin party.

Most of the gay shit came later - the majority of it announced the final year of production.
Digimon had nothing to do with Pokemon.
Other than the name and the concept of battling monsters, you mean. I guess the battling came later and it wasn't an exact ripoff of the game at first but whatever.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Other than the name and the concept of battling monsters, you mean.
Japan always smashes words together. Monsters in both titles is not related.

Fighting monsters is a universal concept. Shin Megami Tensei predates both doesn't it? The fighting gimmick was added to the digital pet because boys like fighting. It's an obvious evolution from a tamagotchi to appeal to boys. Play Digimon world 1 to see Digimon's concept fully fleshed out and how very different it is.

Except they might change it. Like they did with BG3.
you can still download the old versions

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Which was the point of my original post.
Gundramon.jpg

HoboForEternity

LIBERAL PROPAGANDIST
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The moment it was announced i knew it would be selling like hotcakes, which i found very funny and that's why i made this thread lmao. Barring the game being a complete disastee like the day before the formula was gold, it checked all the boxes a game need to break trough.

1. Easily meme able trailer and gameplay for streamer / reaction bait

2. Aping one of the most popular franchise in existence with very bold direction in a market lacking innovation for DECADES.

3. The whole crafting survival thing that i dont understand how is it still popular for decades (i blame factorio autists)

Honeslty the trailer was genius too, it was kinda cheap, but like clickbait journalism, it spread like fire, and probably made many people laughed. This is the case where any publicity is a good publicity, and the devs / publisher capitalize on that very well, either intentional or not.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
https://steamdb.info/app/1623730/charts/

As of right now Palworld has the 6th highest peak concurrent players of all Steam games, with just over 1 million players. This puts Palworld at just under 50k removed from Cyberpunk 2077's record.

What the fuck.
Pal world heavily courted the Chinese market. They did a lot of conventions and advertising there. The English presents was much smaller but they still got trailer in major shows. But actual engagement was low, like 30k views on a Pal reveal video low (a few hit 150k). It's also on Game pass so the numbers are even higher,

Viata

Arcane
Palworld selling a lot proved something I was always sure about. Normies doesn't give a shit if the product was created using AI. When they start using AI to write scripts for books and movies, they will still sell a lot because normies doesn't give a shit at all. They just want to consume. Artists will lose the AI war and they are not going to be alone there.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Palworld selling a lot proved something I was always sure about. Normies doesn't give a shit if the product was created using AI. When they start using AI to write scripts for books and movies, they will still sell a lot because normies doesn't give a shit at all. They just want to consume. Artists will lose the AI war and they are not going to be alone there.
Why would I care about poorly written text in a GAME? I'm here to play a GAME not to read failed novelists drivel. It's such a weird complaint when Pal world uses very little dialog or text so far.

I wonder if you can infinitely farm by going AFK with a self sustaining base or if the raids ramp up and you get overrun by fucking around too long

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
This game popped the fuck off and I really wish someone would explain me why
Try reading the thread. The last 3 pages have explained why. It's memeable, good for streaming, a cross of 2 popular but stagnant genres and it has very good mascots the same way Pokemon does.

Viata

Arcane
Why would I care about poorly written text in a GAME? I'm here to play a GAME not to read failed novelists drivel. It's such a weird complaint when Pal world uses very little dialog or text so far.

I wonder if you can infinitely farm by going AFK with a self sustaining base or if the raids ramp up and you get overrun by fucking around too long
I'm not complaining, though. What I mean is that despite all those people annoying others about AI, at the end of the day, AI will be used for everything because the average person doesn't give a shit, he just wants to consume. Also, I said write scripts for books and movies, not GAME.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated

I'm not complaining, though. What I mean is that despite all those people annoying others about AI, at the end of the day, AI will be used for everything because the average person doesn't give a shit, he just wants to consume. Also, I said write scripts for books and movies, not GAME.
My mistake. When you say normies and consume I thought you were on the AI whiner brigade. It seemed weird in a game with barely any text to read after 5 hours of play.

flyingjohn

Arcane
AI will be used for everything
The AI has been trained by the people it is replacing so you are getting the same thing but cheaper for the publisher.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom