Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Palworld - basically pro slavery Pokemon game - now available on Early Access

cpmartins

Cipher
The complete lack of coherent art-direction kills it for me. It looks like 4 or 5 games collated together at random, completely jarring.
As for slavery being good or bad, just observe the US today and you'll have your answer.

Unwanted

Cologno

Unwanted
AI will be used for everything
The AI has been trained by the people it is replacing so you are getting the same thing but cheaper for the publisher.
With how bad modern writing is, there's some hope in AI ripping off scripts from the 80s and 90s and giving us watchable movies if they don't include too many nogs
Man, I honestly hope it doesn't go that direction, but given the creative stagnation and rot, sure why not. Aside from text, AI is getting scary good with images. It's not there yet with the "real" but flat 2d stuff and anime I think is working on borrowed time.

Elttharion

Learned
This game is the perfect shitstorm actually. The CEO of the company likes AI and NFTs, its early acces and open world survival craft, uses a ton of generic assets, copies Pokemon and other games and its XBOX+PC exclusive. Its also insanely popular right now. It managed to piss off the Snoys, the Nintendrones, Pokemon cultists, people who hate EA, artists/artfags and game devs, anti AI people, etc.

The ammount of seething is pretty hilarious.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Palworld is in early access and it's somehow more polished and complete than all the previous 3D Pokemon games.
GEX8W3aWIAAhnpV

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
I'm inclined to disagree. Pokemon is extremely polished in some areas like the camping shit no one uses. While Pal world is still very rough around the edges. Like no player reaction to taking damage is a major issue that needs fixing with the first patch. It's rough as fuck but it's fun and that compensates for it while pokemon doesn't.

I hope they improve the dungeons. They're just empty dead ends with 1 path leading to a giant and 2 chests. Giants seem pretty bad for base usage too. I've had them repeatedly get stuck when other pals can get around fine. Path finding in general has issues (bosses can get stuck on things trying to run at you) and I've had to rescue them from lakes in the past. You really need a lot of space once you get to the metal stage.

Artyoan

Prophet
I'm inclined to disagree. Pokemon is extremely polished in some areas like the camping shit no one uses. While Pal world is still very rough around the edges. Like no player reaction to taking damage is a major issue that needs fixing with the first patch. It's rough as fuck but it's fun and that compensates for it while pokemon doesn't.

I hope they improve the dungeons. They're just empty dead ends with 1 path leading to a giant and 2 chests. Giants seem pretty bad for base usage too. I've had them repeatedly get stuck when other pals can get around fine. Path finding in general has issues (bosses can get stuck on things trying to run at you) and I've had to rescue them from lakes in the past. You really need a lot of space once you get to the metal stage.
Yeah, I'm now choosing to make a second base as the pathing issues are adding up in the small area I chose to make my first base. The massive Pals are getting stuck on just about everything. There are other issues where setting a torch on a wall might cause a Pal to not be able to reach it to light, so it just looks as if it is working in the menu but isn't doing anything. The building pieces aren't snapping into place for shit.

Still having a lot of fun but I've got a few dozen gripes. I hear they plan on tackling the poor building mechanics first.

Caim

Arcane

Halfling Rodeo

Educated

Yeah, I'm now choosing to make a second base as the pathing issues are adding up in the small area I chose to make my first base. The massive Pals are getting stuck on just about everything. There are other issues where setting a torch on a wall might cause a Pal to not be able to reach it to light, so it just looks as if it is working in the menu but isn't doing anything. The building pieces aren't snapping into place for shit.

Still having a lot of fun but I've got a few dozen gripes. I hear they plan on tackling the poor building mechanics first.
Hopefully early access means something and they fix it.

I've given up on using my big fuckers. I had a big sheep and he couldn't get to the ranch when the small one could. Anything large or "king" size is for the party only.

Mounts are so weird. The purple deer is insanely good while the boar was almost as slow as the player. Feels pretty good to ride around and attack with those. I keep getting a glitch in town where my Vulpix will jump into my arms and force me to shoot all it's ammo to get rid of it. But it will never not be funny when my grass dude jumps on my head and unloads an entire uzi into something. I've been trying to keep my damage high but Pals are just so much more effective at damage dealing.

orcinator

Liturgist
AI will be used for everything
The AI has been trained by the people it is replacing so you are getting the same thing but cheaper for the publisher.
I put (20 vague synonyms of) big boob into ai art machine and I get big boob,
Sometimes I don't ask for big boob or even ask not to have big boob and I get big boob
I look at modern game art and get no big boob

ind33d

Learned
The highest concurrent player count for a paid game in Steam's history now belongs to Palworld...

https://twitter.com/Palworld_EN/status/1749047519265632440

GEXdYFUboAA6_mc
I am 99% sure its because they tapped into the Chinese market really hard.
Player count peaked around the time it's evening in places like China, Korea and Japan, so it's a fair guess.
Can't wait for next week when "Eating Bugs and Owning Nothing Simulator 2024" organically hits #1 on the Steam Charts

Trithne

Erudite
This game looks like the equivalent of jingling keys in front of your baby.

As far as I can tell its pure busywork, punch rocks and trees, craft things, defend yourself from random attacks, but with the added advantage of you can delegate all of that to a motley assortment of animals you accumulate, so basically the end goal of the game is to not play the game.

I'm not surprised in the slightest that it took off so much, because that's exactly what the majority of gamers want - A game that plays itself. Bonus points for basically being "A mashup of all the games you like" so you can easily convince yourself it's the best thing since tits. Pure consume product and get ready for next product material.

Also, the sheer laziness in making this - It's practically a Fortnite mod - All the anims and models are stock Unreal Engine shit, other than the "Pals".

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The highest concurrent player count for a paid game in Steam's history now belongs to Palworld...

https://twitter.com/Palworld_EN/status/1749047519265632440

GEXdYFUboAA6_mc
Readers added context they thought people might want to know

The post claims that Palworld has hit the all-time highest concurrent player count for a paid game on Steam.This is untrue - PUBG set this record as a paid game in January 2018 with 3.2M concurrent players, prior to becoming free to play in January 2022.
(Since I figure many people are too lazy/wise to click twitter links).

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Well, no one really cares what happened during the development of a game. Given that they made a fuckton of money already, it was worth all that hell.
They made a fun game and for some reason it's making people really angry. How fucking petty do you have to be to be upset Palworld exists?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom