Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Palworld - basically pro slavery Pokemon game - now available on Early Access

Ninjerk

Arcane
I love how you can use your pokemon as human shields in gunfights. Love the scene where the player char uses a sheep-pokemon as a shield, then tosses it aside :lol:
Bold of you to call them "human" shields.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Doing a bit of a necro. Palworld have been revealing their mons for a while now. Some of them are pretty cool and this is the number one upcoming game I want to play so here's the latest.

Chimera

Augur
Am I the only one who finds the lack of a consistent style jarring? And, to a certain extent, evidence this will likely languish in EA?

The original preview video and stills utilized a vaguely cartoon aesthetic that blended well with the "pal" models, similar to their other eternally-in-EA title Craftopia.

Palworld-1.jpg

Whereas the most recent footage employs a distinctly realistic approach to the environment with the same stylized creatures roaming it.

ss_06e27c15c7b4b10233c937b887cf6a6925c83009.1920x1080.jpg

It strikes me as rather jarring, particularly when you see Pals that are, ostensibly, covered with leaves standing beside photo-realistic branches or shooting a caricature of water next to an actual pond.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Am I the only one who finds the lack of a consistent style jarring? And, to a certain extent, evidence this will likely languish in EA?

The original preview video and stills utilized a vaguely cartoon aesthetic that blended well with the "pal" models, similar to their other eternally-in-EA title Craftopia.

Palworld-1.jpg

Whereas the most recent footage employs a distinctly realistic approach to the environment with the same stylized creatures roaming it.

ss_06e27c15c7b4b10233c937b887cf6a6925c83009.1920x1080.jpg

It strikes me as rather jarring, particularly when you see Pals that are, ostensibly, covered with leaves standing beside photo-realistic branches or shooting a caricature of water next to an actual pond.
I see where you're coming from but it's such a shit post of a game it's hard to worry if the pokemon and trees art style doesn't match up. I saw a webm of a monkey being petted then pulling out an uzi and shooting a chicken in the face yesterday and nearly wet myself laughing. The entire concept is so stupid that style clashes almost add to it rather than take away from it.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Game's out now, but at 26 bucks it's a bit steep to just try on a whim. Is it any good?
26 bucks? Probably not. I just played an hour of it on Game pass and it's... early access survival game but you can use pokemon to make your shit less tedious. Very janky as in the interface doesn't even show buttons if you're using a controller. Makes the whole thing a pain in the arse TBH. Has breath of the wild climbing and heat gauge. It's not really bad or good it's just jank mixing Ark with Pokemon with BOTW.

If you like survival games try it. If you're in it for pokemon probably not. Best option is getting a 1 month super cheap gamepass trial and giving it a go there. Wouldn't pay more than 15 bucks in it's current state.

orcinator

Liturgist
Honestly though this was a fake game, guess I'll go watch some streamer to see how painful it is to play outside the first few moments when you realize you can do Rated M stuff to pokemen.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
I purchased the game on Steam and started playing it on the deck. It gets 30-40 FPS on average but it's playable enough. On game pass none of the joypad promotes appeared. They do on steam deck.

You guys laugh, but I predict the normies are gonna buy this in droves, regardless of quality.

:excellent:
For early access the quality is pretty decent. It's a mix of other jank but it's playable

Late Bloomer

Scholar
It's almost like tranny "body type" shit is a good way to determine a game will be shit...

Pretty sure that is going to be the norm for most games with a character creator, including indie, going forward. Your point still stands of course.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
For early access the quality is pretty decent. It's a mix of other jank but it's playable

Is the building comprehensive?
It's exactly the same as every other survival game but your minions will help build (less holding X) or they will automate your base by farming food, cutting wood etc. It's pretty simple but it works. I've put 3 hours in so far and it's all been building a sustainable base and now I'm ready to go exploring for the first boss. I've had a couple of base invasions to fend off and been warned against attacking the guys doing it yet but it's interesting to have your base need to defend it's self. Can't wait to get a monkey with an uzi.

One complaint I have is the Pals fuck up your captures. They do a huge amount of damage so you get a couple of jabs in with your spear, go to throw a ball and the little shit shoots your target from off screen and it's dead.

Other wise it's exactly what I said earlier. Ark survival with BOTW movement and Arceus style capturing. It's one of my dream games though so I'm willing to look past stuff I wouldn't usually (I don't like survival games).

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
What do you DO in this game ? Is there a main quest / side quest or is it just fuck around with pokemon ?

Caim

Arcane
Honestly though this was a fake game, guess I'll go watch some streamer to see how painful it is to play outside the first few moments when you realize you can do Rated M stuff to pokemen.
To people as well, you can capture and enslave them like you do the monsters.

And yes, you can butcher them for resources just the same.

So read the "world' in "Palworld" like you would "Rimworld".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom