Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Paradox and Obsidian to announce something evil on March 15th

himmy

Arcane
It depends on what you consider fantasy. To me Fallout is fantasy just like steampunk is.

Everything can be anything if you use a separate, personal definition from the one that everybody else is fucking using, sure. Like, to me, all dogs are cats and all chairs are tables cause it depends on what you consider a table.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Hmmm. If you don't count expansions, I think they actually have more non-fantasy than fantasy titles. Which is pretty unexpected for an RPG developer if you think about it.
It depends on what you consider fantasy. To me Fallout is fantasy just like steampunk is. The difference is that it's retrofuturism from a different era.
Alpha Protocol is their only non-fantasy RPG.
Fantasy is a knight on horseback running around and killing things.
And the Brotherhood of Steel are the knights of the wasteland, so Fallout is confirmed as a Fantasy RPG!

:troll:

Prime Junta

I've spoken in the past about how in an alternate universe, Obsidian could have developed into a kind of Telltale Games CYOA company with Chris Avellone in charge as a Ken Levine-style celebrity guru. Of course, the RPG Codex of that alternate universe would have been just as pissed off about them as it is in this one. So be careful what you wish for. By keeping one foot in the world of combat, they ensure that they remain real RPG developers.

I think it's worth pointing out that arguably the most polished, best-balanced, least buggy, best-paced, most consistently-executed game Obsidian has ever made is South Park: The Stick of Truth.

If all they did was games like that, I wouldn't be paying them much attention.

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
It depends on what you consider fantasy. To me Fallout is fantasy just like steampunk is.

Everything can be anything if you use a separate, personal definition from the one that everybody else is fucking using, sure. Like, to me, all dogs are cats and all chairs are tables cause it depends on what you consider a table.

Agree, if I sit on a table it instantly turns into a chair.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Everyone is saying that Alpha Protocol combat is bad, and every time I fail to see what is the difference between this and other third person shooters like Mass Defect. At least it has melee combat and stealth mechanics.
Compare it to MGS5 to see why it's such a pile of shit.

Nines

Learned
Same could be said about Obsidian RPG's? if people actually played them maybe they wouldn't have needed to resort to KS.
The problem is not in games, but rather in the audience. Any popamole shit is selling better than any "RPG", and any "RPG" is selling better than a good RPG. I wish an ordinary gamer could be a little bit smarter.

Compare it to MGS5
giphy.gif

Maybe the original ME, the combat in 2 and 3 is worlds better than anything in AP.

In Mass Effect 2 (Normal Difficulty):

-The Levels are full of things that you can use for cover, so you can easily reach any enemy with simple moving from cover-to-cover without any actual danger.
-No Grenades, so you can stand fearless behind your cover.
-Enemies don't try to attack you from the side, they just sitting behind their cover, poping out and shoot.
-The enemys aim slowlly, Call-of-Duty like. You rarely got hit.
-And, if you got hit, just sit bit behind your cover and the health would be regenerated in a few seconds.

In Alpha Protocol (Normal Difficulty):

-There are things that can be used for cover, but the levels are not full of them.
-There are Grenades.
-Enemies usually try to attack you from the sides.
-The enemies aim well and fast. They can also hit you if you stand in the edge of the cover (but you can do the same if aim well).
-Only the shield regenerates automaticallly.

Can you explain me why Mass Effect 2 has better combat than Alpha Protocol? I see the opposite.

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
the reveal is 5pm pacific
which is 1am aryan time
which is past my bed time
which means it's gonna be crap

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
which is 1am aryan time
:mrpresident:
Past midnight? Who reveals a game past midnight?
If I were president, I would never reveal a game past midnight
I'd take on China. I'd bring games back.
Let me tell you... Obsidian is weak on RPGs. I don't know what they're -- do you know what they're doing?
They release low energy game after low energy game. I don't get it. I don't get it!
Obsidian... is a mess!

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
which is 1am aryan time
:mrpresident:
Past midnight? Who reveals a game past midnight?
If I were president, I would never reveal a game past midnight
I'd take on China. I'd bring games back.
Let me tell you... Obsidian is weak on RPGs. I don't know what they're -- do you know what they're doing?
They release low energy game after low energy game. I don't get it. I don't get it!
Obsidian... is a mess!
To make America great again, other places need to be less great. Europeans must suffer by having to wait until the next morning to hear the latest game announcements.
Only then will they recognize America's true greatness.
:patriot::kwafuckyeah::kwanzania::mrpresident:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Maybe the original ME, the combat in 2 and 3 is worlds better than anything in AP.

-The Levels are full of things that you can use for cover, so you can easily reach any enemy with simple moving from cover-to-cover without any actual danger.
-Enemies don't try to attack you from the side, they just sitting behind their cover, poping out and shoot.
-And, if you got hit, just sit bit behind your cover and the health would be regenerated in a few seconds.

-There are things that can be used for cover, but the levels are not full of them.
-There are Grenades.
-The enemies aim well and fast. They can also hit you if you stand in the edge of the cover (but you can do the same if aim well).

Can you explain me why Mass Effect 2 has better combat than Alpha Protocol? I see the opposite.

For a very simple reason... the shooting in AP is utter shit. In an action rpg that revolves around shooting stuff, when that simple action feels like a chore, like something that was tacked on, then the entire concept falls apart.

On the other hand, in Mass Effect 2, the shooting feels fun, its a great feeling to teleport to an enemy and shoot it in the face with a shotgun.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Same could be said about Obsidian RPG's? if people actually played them maybe they wouldn't have needed to resort to KS.
The problem is not in games, but rather in the audience. Any popamole shit is selling better than any "RPG", and any "RPG" is selling better than a good RPG. I wish an ordinary gamer could be a little bit smarter.

Compare it to MGS5
giphy.gif

CDprojekt also makes rpgs, and they manage to sell well enough, last count on the witcher 3 was 15 million and counting...

Obsidian will do anything for a buck, their tank mmo, that thing they did with the russians called skyforge, dungeon siege, south park. The problem is that they are mostly bad to mediocre at designing most of their games.

When you look at their catalog, you have kotor 2, based on already established work from bioware and release in a deplorable state... you have new vegas based on the work done by bethesda, shit at release and only truly good with a shitton of mods, and you have a MotB, which was mostly a storyfag rpg where they didnt even try to improve the shit combat of their original work.

DeepOcean

Arcane

-There are Grenades.

I dunno about normal mode on Mass Effect 2 but on the last difficulty, I remember pretty well enemies hitting me hard, the enemies were pretty accurate, I dunno about this enemies aiming slowly never experienced it. Health regeneration wasn't nowhere near enough to turn you on a Rambo even with the big shield classes. There are the Kroogans, Asari vanguards, flamethrowers and Engineer drones for example that charge at you forcing you out of cover on plenty of dangerous situations and there are dangerous sniper type enemies too. Alpha Brotocol gunplay is awful as it is ME 1 gunplay, character skill based aiming systems are a bad idea for action games always were, ME 2 guns have better shooting sounds too, the guns have some weight to their shots while I was seriously underwhelmed by Alpha Brotocol guns that didn't feel satisfying to shoot.

You are accurate about enemies don't throwing grenades though, they fixed that on ME 3 that has shooting mechanics that are much better than both ME 2 and Alpha Brotocol. I liked Alpha Brotocol for the choices and some missions had great level design but I did a martial artist ninja just to avoid using the guns, that is how awful they were.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom