Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Path of Exile II - early access begins November 15th

abija

Prophet
But I guess it doesn't matter much. The primary concern is still the fact that the game is in danger of moving into the slow pace of modern dogshit aRPGs.

Slow pace modern arpgs? Huh??? Like what? Zoom zoom retard shit is the issue right now not "slow paced".

Israfael

Arcane
It sounds like they are making a game precisely for the people who don't play PoE
it actually shows, most rabid poe2 waiters are thinking plot and animashuns are the most important parts of the glorified slot machines ARPGs and naturally they come from D3/D4 quagmire. This + weird fixation on the most, lets say, controversial parts of ruthless makes it clear that I most probablly won't be playing POE2 on release as it targets wildly different audience.
Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 were slower than what PoE2 has shown so far so I would say modern arpg fast pace is shit and I want return to good old times.
No one forces you to do zoom-zoom, just play SSF like we do and do whatever you want. Before I've got some upgrades my run speed was like 30% on iceshot ranger (the zoomiest of them all) and I managed to live with that. There is already a choice to do zoom or not to do zoom, but somehow some people want to force everyone to play in the way they (a minority by definition as everyone has their own preferences) want.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Combat is much slower and very different
I'm sure that'll last all of 3 months before some streamer makes it look too easy to reach levle 100 in hardcore by ripping his ethernet cable out of the wall in between attacks and they conclude enemies need to move 450% faster, but drop 2% more loot. In the form of more mirrors on the highest level boss in the game but 30% less uniques for everyone else. This is a buff.

abija

Prophet
No one forces you to do zoom-zoom, just play SSF like we do and do whatever you want. Before I've got some upgrades my run speed was like 30% on iceshot ranger (the zoomiest of them all) and I managed to live with that. There is already a choice to do zoom or not to do zoom, but somehow some people want to force everyone to play in the way they (a minority by definition as everyone has their own preferences) want.
Except the time required to do stuff in the game is balanced around zoom zoom traders. So reaching some meaningful content as SSF implies zooming your ass out as much as you can.

Damned Registrations

No one forces you to do zoom-zoom, just play SSF like we do and do whatever you want.
What if what I want to do is incursions? Whoops, they close before I can get the keys. Guess I'll just do Heist, no wait that's timed and you need to overwhelm the spawn rate. Maybe Metamorph oh wait they out regen my damage. Oh look so does Expedition. Maybe Delerium? Nope, also timed. All the circle crap is timed. Syndicate is timed for the stupid little lair things.

But hey, at least I can enter a vanilla map and get basically no loot over and over again forever. Or do Labyrinth. Those are the two things you're allowed to do without 12 trillion dps or 200% movespeed via leapslam or whatever. Exciting! Or Delve, provided you don't actually step off the train tracks where all the loot is.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
But I guess it doesn't matter much. The primary concern is still the fact that the game is in danger of moving into the slow pace of modern dogshit aRPGs.

Slow pace modern arpgs? Huh??? Like what? Zoom zoom retard shit is the issue right now not "slow paced".

D4 is slow as fuck, and so are most of its contemporaries. The spender-generator gameplay makes sure you have several breaks of doing mostly nothing between actually clearing out enemies.

Why anyone would actively want this kind of trash I have no idea, but if you want slow, go play all those games and let those of us without crippling brain bradykinesia play something fun in the meantime. I'm fine not having to snore my way through trash mobs to get to the actual fun challenges that you generally can't zoom.

No one forces you to do zoom-zoom, just play SSF like we do and do whatever you want.
What if what I want to do is incursions? Whoops, they close before I can get the keys.

lol ur bad

ArchAngel

Arcane
It sounds like they are making a game precisely for the people who don't play PoE
it actually shows, most rabid poe2 waiters are thinking plot and animashuns are the most important parts of the glorified slot machines ARPGs and naturally they come from D3/D4 quagmire. This + weird fixation on the most, lets say, controversial parts of ruthless makes it clear that I most probablly won't be playing POE2 on release as it targets wildly different audience.
Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 were slower than what PoE2 has shown so far so I would say modern arpg fast pace is shit and I want return to good old times.
That is not how the game is designed. It is designed around running maps in 3 minutes to collect super random loot that is 99.9% shit. But if you are not running it efficiently you are not going to get that 0.1% that is good.
Or you just trade for it which is faster in the end, especially if you are good at trade subgame.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Either way fine to me. I play only SSF these days. Trading can burn for all i care. Though option to SSF with 2-3 people would be great without access to wider public.
I'd stop SSFing in a heartbeat, just so I could get access to build enabling uniques (and the occasional super rng gated item), if only trading weren't such a miserable experience.
As it stands, I'd rather cut my build options by 90% rather than engage in trading.
You're not "forced", but at the same time, glhf making progress in a reasonable amount of time without some amount of zooming. You need to run hundreds of maps just to reach the endgame and then you still need to run lots of high tier reds, that's going to take forever if you need more than single-digit-minutes per map. It's kinda like arguing you don't have to employ strategy in a jrpg because you can just grind to level 99 in the first area. Technically possible, but also clearly not intended and no one sane would do it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Either way fine to me. I play only SSF these days. Trading can burn for all i care. Though option to SSF with 2-3 people would be great without access to wider public.
I'd stop SSFing in a heartbeat, just so I could get access to build enabling uniques (and the occasional super rng gated item), if only trading weren't such a miserable experience.
As it stands, I'd rather cut my build options by 90% rather than engage in trading.
You're not "forced", but at the same time, glhf making progress in a reasonable amount of time without some amount of zooming. You need to run hundreds of maps just to reach the endgame and then you still need to run lots of high tier reds, that's going to take forever if you need more than single-digit-minutes per map. It's kinda like arguing you don't have to employ strategy in a jrpg because you can just grind to level 99 in the first area. Technically possible, but also clearly not intended and no one sane would do it.

Not reaching endgame is one thing (I rarely if ever do as I play Hardcore and am bad = getting to uberbosses let alone defeating them is tricky), but not getting keys from an Incursion has nothing to do with that. You can full-clear Incursions with nothing but your swinging dong a good skill and some passive nodes.

Either way, I think Last Epoch's solution is more interesting. I would probably enjoy an SSF SC experience with increased drop rates way more than an AH HC experience. I really hope PoEII pivots to something similar.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I would probably enjoy an SSF SC experience with increased drop rates way more than an AH HC experience. I really hope PoEII pivots to something similar.
Same. The pace of item upgrades gets way too slow after early maps imo. And the amount of theorycrafting needed to targetfarm/craft the good stuff is too high.
Sadly, GGG has shown 0 interest in balancing around SSF because chris thinks trade is a core element of the poe experience.

I rarely if ever do as I play Hardcore and am bad = getting to uberbosses let alone defeating them is tricky
What counts as a uberboss? I'm referring to stuff like simulacrum, searing exarch, etc.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I would probably enjoy an SSF SC experience with increased drop rates way more than an AH HC experience. I really hope PoEII pivots to something similar.
Same. The pace of item upgrades gets way too slow after early maps imo. And the amount of theorycrafting needed to targetfarm/craft the good stuff is too high.
Sadly, GGG has shown 0 interest in balancing around SSF because chris thinks trade is a core element of the poe experience.

Have you seen Last Epoch's system? Jury's out on whether it's going to work, but the SSF system looks very interesting.

What counts as a uberboss? I'm referring to stuff like simulacrum, searing exarch, etc.

The more powerful versions of searing exarch, maven etc.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Have you seen Last Epoch's system? Jury's out on whether it's going to work, but the SSF system looks very interesting.
Nope. I think I have Last Epoch on my steam wishlist though.
The more powerful versions of searing exarch, maven etc.
Yeah, good luck getting to those. I couldn't even stomach the grind to get to regular maven.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Nope. I think I have Last Epoch on my steam wishlist though.

Think you'll find the ideas interesting (again, regardless of whether this specific implementation of them is my cup of tea, I think the idea of the system is much better than the binary choice PoEII seems to be making):

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The tiny brilliances of the idea is what really jives with me. For instance, this effectively allows you to play something akin to SSF while still playing, and even doing small trades, with your friends.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

You can full-clear Incursions with nothing but your swinging dong a good skill and some passive nodes.
LOL. Yes, you can play a meta skill and steamroll shit. You can also trade for broken (also meta) items and steamroll shit. Neither of these make you 'good.' If you want to do neither of those things and instead experiment with weird shit or do something thematic, or just try using a unique you never used before even though it's not the meta- get fucked. Keep in mind that missing 1 out of 8 keys has a decent chance of just bricking the only useful thing in the fucking temple, forcing you to do another 30 maps for a chance to do the thing you want to do. You need to be able to clear these 100% of the time no matter what mods the enemies have. Hope your build doesn't get fucking bricked by an AN mod! You ARE playing one of the APPROVED skills that ignores all the game mechanics, right?

God forbid you want to use a skill because you thought it looked cool.

Israfael

Arcane
What if what I want to do is incursions? Whoops, they close before I can get the keys. Guess I'll just do Heist, no wait that's timed and you need to overwhelm the spawn rate. Maybe Metamorph oh wait they out regen my damage. Oh look so does Expedition. Maybe Delerium? Nope, also timed. All the circle crap is timed. Syndicate is timed for the stupid little lair things.
You can also not get keys if you zoom-zoom, or get it at last second of alotted time time, it's a random thing. You don't need zoom-zoom to do heist (you probably never done it in practice), you actually need to be beefy to survive potential one shots (my RF character felt much more comfortable there as compared to the zoom-zoom deadeye). So it's just excuses to force everyone else to play your way.

But if you are not running it efficiently you are not going to get that 0.1% that is good.
Or you just trade for it which is faster in the end, especially if you are good at trade subgame.
I just make do with what I have. For example, I still don't have a six link weapon (getting a good bow crafted is a pain even with decent fracture like extra arrow or ias), but i have secrets of suffering and the new watcher's eye from the league boss (dropped on the first go). These things that I have or don't define what I do and how I do it, and it's more interesting than getting kitted out to the max almost instantly in the trade (I've got like 15 divines from maps / sanctum etc so I could get 1/1/1 tier bow/ hyrris etc to basically triple or quadruple my current DPS but that just takes away the experience)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You can full-clear Incursions with nothing but your swinging dong a good skill and some passive nodes.
LOL. Yes, you can play a meta skill and steamroll shit.

You don't have to play "meta" to clear Incursions. I literally cleared Incursions on my homebrew SSF self-casting Arc ffs lol. You're just bad, and it is clearly hampering your enjoyment of the game regardless of whatever else might be doing that. You're not hurting me by insisting on staying bad, just your own enjoyment.

my RF character felt much more comfortable there as compared to the zoom-zoom deadeye

Trust me, the level of the anti-zoom crowd's delusions is big enough that they'll look at your RF gameplay and call it zoom-zoom. Unless your progress is a glacial task of name-locking zombies and killing them in three hits, you're zooming.

Israfael

Arcane
The tiny brilliances of the idea is what really jives with me. For instance, this effectively allows you to playing something akin to SSF while still playing and even doing small trades with your friends.
As i said earlier, you could do basically this with private leagues before, maybe it's still there, haven't checked it as those chars moved to the standard long ago

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The tiny brilliances of the idea is what really jives with me. For instance, this effectively allows you to playing something akin to SSF while still playing and even doing small trades with your friends.
As i said earlier, you could do basically this with private leagues before, maybe it's still there, haven't checked it as those chars moved to the standard long ago

You still can (I believe), but not with the increased rates/progression :)

Damned Registrations

You can also not get keys if you zoom-zoom, or get it at last second of alotted time time, it's a random thing.
If you haven't cleared every monster in there with enough time to spare to run from one corner to the other to open whatever door you need, you're clearly not in the zoom-zoom category.

I literally cleared Incursions on my homebrew SSF self-casting Arc ffs lol.
And did you have 3 or 4 hp while doing that? Being a fucking glass cannon that dies to a fart is just another example of the shitty gameplay style. I can throw on a tabula and clear an incursion too, but it's kind of fucking pointless if I kill myself in a single cast on a reflect map.

Israfael

Arcane
. Unless your progress is a glacial task of name-locking zombies and killing them in three hits, you're zooming.
This i also don't get - if you do this in basically any game, even D1, you'd stilll get less loot as compared to 'zoom-zoom' (170% runspeed javazon, teleporting mage that spams flamewall / hydra that clears whole screen) per hour etc and you'd stilll be disadvantaged (loosing time etc whatever people feel that they are lacking). Unless the game actively punishes you for more efficient gameplay (or uses something like P2W 'pay for one-time access to the game' shenanigans) , it'd still be slanted in favour of zoom-zoom

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You can also not get keys if you zoom-zoom, or get it at last second of alotted time time, it's a random thing.
If you haven't cleared every monster in there with enough time to spare to run from one corner to the other to open whatever door you need, you're clearly not in the zoom-zoom category.

I literally cleared Incursions on my homebrew SSF self-casting Arc ffs lol.
And did you have 3 or 4 hp while doing that?

No? lol. Again, I understand that you're struggling with the game when, in search of something to illustrate the game's issues, you highlight fucking Incursions. Those should be trivial for any half-decent build regardless of gearing. You can stay fuming in your self-pity blaming the game or accept that the objective truth is that you shouldn't be having a hard time with maxing out your temple from Incursions regardless of what you are doing.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What this disagreement is really about - what we should all agree on - is that unless you're extremely good at the game OR playing straight up SC trade league - progression in after yellow maps can feel absolutely glacial because the game is balanced around you either trading a fuckton or being a no-lifer with nothing but endless hours to play PoE.

This is the real issue for everyone but the no-life streamer boys and why they should implement an SSF mode with the ability to target farm better and/or modify drop rates to a large extend.

So shit players like Damned Registrations and me can actually get some fucking where without needing to play SC trade and feel like the progression is unearned.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
. Unless your progress is a glacial task of name-locking zombies and killing them in three hits, you're zooming.
This i also don't get - if you do this in basically any game, even D1, you'd stilll get less loot as compared to 'zoom-zoom' (170% runspeed javazon, teleporting mage that spams flamewall / hydra that clears whole screen) per hour etc and you'd stilll be disadvantaged (loosing time etc whatever people feel that they are lacking). Unless the game actively punishes you for more efficient gameplay (or uses something like P2W 'pay for one-time access to the game' shenanigans) , it'd still be slanted in favour of zoom-zoom

Yes. All these people are crying for a combination of Ruthless and increased progression. It makes no sense if you examine their position in detail.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom