Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Path of Exile II - isometric souls with loot (beta coming late 2024)

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I really dislike inflated stats like this, and brainless gameplay

Give me something slower and more methodical like D2 classic or D1, which I think PoE 2 will be

Zeriel

Arcane
But that's a separate gripe from huge gameplay changes in PoE2 that just seem to amount to the devs repudiating their own legacy and philosophy and going, "Let's copy X popular game that has no connection to ARPGs!"
Well, at least they've separated games so there won't be giant backlash at the release or open beta
Incidentally, I believe this is the reason they won't increase drop chances for SSF. I'm not sure it's the reason for the trade thing though, because they could just adjust drop rates to reflect the new, cheaper economy.
The game is already very unfriendly for non-solo play (shared curses limit, incoming damage is increased way more than shared buffs increase survivability and DPS (sans aurabots)), so if the drop rates were much higher in SSF, why even bother with trade unless there are hard to get items like MB, HH, good rolled synth items, oriath end etc. Although they could have tried at the very least experimenting it (actually, they did with harvest which allowed to plan upgrades in SSF, but it was deemed too powerful for trade leagues)

All those things really only matter to casuals. There's a reason that where allowed groups dominate. Even with all the restrictions party play is still absurdly, disgustingly strong. It's just not as bad as if there were no restrictions. Saying "sans aurabots" is really weird. "Group play is bad if you don't spec for it." Uh... sure? So, I guess, again, a "don't play in groups if you're a casual" thing, but if they made it easy for casuals it'd be even more absurd for someone speccing into it.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
This is why everyone builds to clear enemies instead of survival and why people that don't like dying in 3 frames or grinding harmless chaff for 300 hours want other options
What prevented you from playing RF, bone shatter or any jugg build ? They all have like 200k+ effective HP, 90% all res or other ways of reducing the damage in such a way that allows you to dance in the DIE beam, run inside shapers laser etc

RF was actually the last build I tried before I stopped playing. It was just boring. Again, no middle ground- you either walk through low level trash and read a book unless you hear something nice drop, or spend 30 minutes dancing around something actually dangerous and get no loot for it 90% of the time. It didn't help that this was a league or two after AN when every other map had something that would fuck you over by being immune to fire or disabling regen or whatever and loot was balanced around hiring MFers to explode loot goblins for you.

I did try a few Jugg builds over the years, but honestly the last time one felt good was ages ago, when I had a ground slam build back before stun got nerfed. Fuck, I can't even remember if Jugg existed back then or it was a marauder. I think the most recent one I tried was around when sunder got changed? Frankly it hit for kittens and having to spam totems to hurt bosses was very offputting.

Last time I had a build that actually felt fun to play was like, right before atlas I think, with a Raging Spirits necro. It was squishy, but avoided a lot of problems due to the playstyle so it was still reasonably survivable and could clear league mechanics. The only reason I stopped playing that league honestly is a buddy I'd started it with kept rerolling and begging me to rush his characters like very 2 days so I got sick of it. But this was ages ago, before a trillion nerfs crippled movement skills, flasks, damage, auras, AoE scaling, etc.

Israfael

Arcane
So, I guess, again, a "don't play in groups if you're a casual" thing, but if they made it easy for casuals it'd be even more absurd for someone speccing into it.
Well, that's the crux of the current discussion 'le zoom is bad' here - some 'dexers believe that they deserve loot simply because they play the game, not because they applied some effort to get it (which can be either to get optimally geared or spend time to play it safe (defense-oriented hc-like builds, for examplle) or suboptimally). I encounterred the same in MMOs - lots of people cried that raiding is too prohibitive in WoW so Blizzard created LFR in which bosses can be killed by competent 5 people without any help from the other 20 bums who came to get welfare epics etc.

Zeriel

Arcane
So, I guess, again, a "don't play in groups if you're a casual" thing, but if they made it easy for casuals it'd be even more absurd for someone speccing into it.
Well, that's the crux of the current discussion 'le zoom is bad' here - some 'dexers believe that they deserve loot simply because they play the game, not because they applied some effort to get it (which can be either to get optimally geared or spend time to play it safe (defense-oriented hc-like builds, for examplle) or suboptimally). I encounterred the same in MMOs - lots of people cried that raiding is too prohibitive in WoW so Blizzard created LFR in which bosses can be killed by competent 5 people without any help from the other 20 bums who came to get welfare epics etc.

Irony is that crowd moves on as soon as it is made easy. They only wanted the thing because it was shiny; make it unshiny (i.e, everyone can get it) and they not only no longer complain, they no longer play at all.

Israfael

Arcane
It didn't help that this was a league or two after AN when every other map had something that would fuck you over by being immune to fire or disabling regen
Well, don't do those maps / reroll them, what's the issue? Everything has its limitations, it is not like that you get corrupted unidentified maps and die to reflect etc. RF is probably the most well rounded of them all, with single/dual curse setup there is at most 2-3 mods that are bad / dangerous (-% all res, no regen, -%armour and block), everything else is passable within reasonable limits.

Israfael

Arcane
this is profoundly stupid
Jonathan believes otherwise, and I also think if drop rate disparity is very high then substantial part of the playerbase will be more inclined to play SSF rather than trade (as trading is a hassle and, I think (as I've never traded in my time in PoE), you need trade-enabled tabs to trade properly)

ArchAngel

Arcane
No, we think we deserve to have fun for time invested. That you consider games should be chores and work is a you problem.
And it is up to the game to balance fun with time invested. Currently it is terribly balanced because it is a F2P game.

Damned Registrations

Well, don't do those maps / reroll them, what's the issue?
It's not a map mod, it's a rare monster mod. Or was, maybe they're stripped all that shit out by now after 5 leagues of outrage, and wanting to butter up the playerbase for PoE2. But the league I played RF in, there were like, 3 or 4 skills in the entire game that couldn't be bricked by some retarded AN mod that was balanced around you choosing which mods to tackle. You had shit like enemies immune to chill or wither disabling like 150% more modifiers worth of damage on builds coupled with insane resists, health multipliers, and so forth. RF was popular that league precisely because it dodged a lot of them (blocking, evasion, debuff immunities, reflect type shit) but they had something for everyone, and in the case of RF it was mobs that would turn your regen off when you were near them or some shit. Not too bad if you had some endgame ready character with 95% fire res, but a pretty nasty surprise for an SSF player. And of course enemies that took like 5% damage from fire, but everyone was dealing with shit like that. It was so thrilling to load up an expedition map and find out it was just bricked because some random enemy stacked 4 defensive layers and regen. Didn't help that the league mechanic that league was just fucking streamer bait with 0 actual value to the average player.

applied some effort to get it
Following a guide to make a meta build in trade league isn't applying effort. It's literally the opposite of that.

Israfael

Arcane
It's not a map mod, it's a rare monster mod.
Well, skip them then. Would you complain that 6-7 essence mob with nemesis mods (like 'cycling resistance' which is probably the thing you are talking about) assrapes you and runs faster than you? Turn off regen only works if you stand on the blue circle, if you are inside or outside of it there's no mana burn effect or whatever it is called.
No, we think we deserve to have fun for time invested. That you consider games should be chores and work is a you problem.
I consider it a hobby, not a job. Hobbies generally require time investment, proficiency and effort. Same logic was forced by people who pushed Blizz to do LFR - 'we pay the same 15 bucks as the raiders, why we don't get access to the cool loot from raids'. Same idea of 'this game is not a chore', " I'm a pregnant father with 9 jobs and 5 kids" etc. It is not that you can't just skip chores by playing trade as I already suggested, the current league is very rich currency-wise, inflation is rampant so you'd get gear in no time.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Like remember all the utility skills in D2 like Taunt, Attract or Cloak of Shadows

Not just mashing 1 or 2 skills but combining different ones

Damned Registrations

Well, skip them then.
Great idea! Except it's in a league mechanic, so skipping it means bricking a logbook, or a temple, or a blight map, or... you get the picture. This is why having mechanics based around full clearing a group of monsters in a time limit is retarded. If it were a rare thing you opt into it wouldn't be so bad, but it's where 90% of the loot in the game is at, and more than half the fucking gameplay for that matter.

Israfael

Arcane
Great idea! Except it's in a league mechanic, so skipping it means bricking a logbook, or a temple, or a blight map, or... you get the picture
Bricking a logbook :lol: Did you actually do sanctum? It's hard not to brick it, especially if you don't think when you press the buttons. Skipping one monster won't ruin any temple run, blight run (and it's the same thing as with any part of the game - there is no 0% guaranteed chance of failure). The only way to fail something is if you get DC'd because of server crash, I've lost putrid cloister like that yesterday or two days ago, was really mad at GGG.

Not just mashing 1 or 2 skills but combining different ones
You can play piano builds if you wish. For example, on my standard RF inq, i have more skills than buttons (i'd literally use ES shield thing that pohx prozelytises, but i don't have a button for that) and all those buttons are meaningful increases to DPS/survivability

https://pobb.in/cNgZzpixEi1Z

ArchAngel

Arcane
I consider it a hobby, not a job. Hobbies generally require time investment, proficiency and effort. Same logic was forced by people who pushed Blizz to do LFR - 'we pay the same 15 bucks as the raiders, why we don't get access to the cool loot from raids'. Same idea of 'this game is not a chore', " I'm a pregnant father with 9 works and 5 kids" etc. It is not that you can't just skip chores by playing trade as I already suggested, the current league is very rich currency-wise, inflation is rampant so you'd get gear in no time.
As I said, sounds like a You problem. I never felt I was doing a chore while playing D1 or D2. PoE1 is first game ever (not just aRPG) where it feels like a chore or a job at times. Fuck that.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I consider it a hobby, not a job. Hobbies generally require time investment, proficiency and effort. Same logic was forced by people who pushed Blizz to do LFR - 'we pay the same 15 bucks as the raiders, why we don't get access to the cool loot from raids'. Same idea of 'this game is not a chore', " I'm a pregnant father with 9 works and 5 kids" etc. It is not that you can't just skip chores by playing trade as I already suggested, the current league is very rich currency-wise, inflation is rampant so you'd get gear in no time.
As I said, sounds like a You problem. I never felt I was doing a chore while playing D1 or D2. PoE1 is first game ever (not just aRPG) where it feels like a chore or a job at times. Fuck that.

Sounds like a You problem. I’ve never felt playing PoE was a chore

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Sounds like a You problem. I’ve never felt playing PoE was a chore
Trading in PoE is def a chore. Running through the campaign can def feel like a chore (depends on build).
Hopefully PoE 2 will employ player skill more than builder skill
Builder skill is what makes it an rpg though. Personally I hope high end building will become more accessible, and won't require data mined info.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
You anti-zoom fags are all on some industrial grade copium if you think that PoE2 will allow you get to their version of Pinnacle Bosses without serious time investment. Yes, it might have instant buyout AH, but they'll compensate for it by reducing top clear speed by 90% and the drop rates as well. Built in AH doesn't favour slow and inefficient build hipsters like you, it will skew the purchasing power disparity towards the meta cucks even further.

Zeriel

Arcane
You anti-zoom fags are all on some industrial grade copium if you think that PoE2 will allow you get to their version of Pinnacle Bosses without serious time investment. Yes, it might have instant buyout AH, but they'll compensate for it by reducing top clear speed by 90% and the drop rates as well. Built in AH doesn't favour slow and inefficient build hipsters like you, it will skew the purchasing power disparity towards the meta cucks even further.

GGG has a history of making launch content very difficult so they will probably just get filtered by the campaign, funnily enough. Remember when Act 4 destroyed people and they couldn't even get to maps?

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Yeah, GGG is firmly embracing the difficulty hype train after Eldan Rang. I just hope they compensate by making the drops during campaign actually good instead of what we currently have, because bots.

Damned Registrations

GGG has a history of making launch content very difficult so they will probably just get filtered by the campaign, funnily enough. Remember when Act 4 destroyed people and they couldn't even get to maps?
If they've actually done what they claim, I'm predicting the exact opposite. All the ritalin addicts are going to run into the first enemy they've seen in 5 years that doesn't fall over before they can read it's name and immediately alt-f4 to jump on reddit and whine about how the game is impossible and they don't have time to hit something more than once because they have 3 wives, 2 jobs and 18 children to take care of.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom