Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Path of Exile II - isometric souls with loot (beta coming late 2024)

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I think the pandering to the logout warriors is a major reason gameplay got so fucked as well.
You'd think that, but no. The gameplay loop of "asleep for 10 minutes, sudden death spike" is 100% intentional, as confirmed by the devs during an interview a while back.

The fact that leech/pot charges also makes recovering from mistakes mostly trivial can't help, nor does thinking logout is a valid gameplay tactic, but ggg does not think it is poor design.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Extra content doesn't justify fucking up with the speed. It all started because they had shitty animations and gameplay felt clunky without high speed and it ended up in retardo land.

Clear speed should be a reward for completing your build. In PoE atm 1 shotting standard packs is a minimum requirement. At any point in the game you can chose the difficulty and the way rewards are tuned extremely favors you chosing a difficulty where your build 1 shots.

Oh and I almost forgot the rares. The difference is so big that if you go to a difficulty where normal mobs have any meaning there's a big chance the rares fuck you up. So no, it's not as simple as "gimp yourself" when for some years now their design decisions are done for retardo mode. Same applies for league mechanics.
Everything you said is wrong.

GGG didn't fuck up with speed, speed is what the players want.

Animations are tied to attack and cast speed, not clear. Clear is scaled by explosions, proliferations, extra projectiles etc.

Clear being a reward for "completing" a build is the second most retarded suggestion I've heard from you. Why the fuck would a boss killing char need clear speed? Why would a Lab running build or Heist running build need clear speed?

One shotting normal packs isn't a requirement at all. Most league starter builds have to use at least two skills to clear a pack.

Rewards aren't tuned for clearing packs in low tier content. Rares drop the big loot now. They have been doing so for a year+ now. If you haven't played in a while, maybe shut the fuck up.

Speaking of Rares, if you don't invest into clear speed but still struggle with Rares, then what the fuck are you investing in?

My top character this league is a brand grandpa who isn't very fast and doesn't have good clear (until I found an Inpulsa at lvl99), but he is very tanky and has great single target. If you can't build a non-zoom character without "gimping" yourself, then that is your problem. The game gives you plenty of options.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I think the pandering to the logout warriors is a major reason gameplay got so fucked as well. If you can avoid death by logout, the only way to kill a hardcore player is instantly by surprise. If enemies have the potential to surprise kill you instantly, the only defense is to kill them before you're even aware of them. And thus began the era of killing shit offscreen being 'normal.'
Contradictory, wrong, retarded. How is surprise death "pandering" to logout users? Logout users comprise a tiny part of the community. Offscreening only works in Softcore, because it doesn't prevent you from dying reliably. It merely reduces the occurrence of death to an acceptable rate.

Israfael

Arcane
Oh, you thought of something clever? Nope, that's not allowed, you have to do exactly X performance and not an ounce more.
The new skill system seems to be sadly that, no more freedom, use the dev preapproved skill chains or else. If PoE1 was based around d2-like philosophy, PoE2 seems to be made for the D3/D4 and 'I play diabloids for the plot' crowd

Israfael

Arcane
Also, if some players complain about brick walls: sometimes you get lucky and you see this (or, rather unlucky as you've just spent 1.5k orbs on a bow that is really suboptimal, but it had good rolls so it'd had to do:| ), if you play spelll-like builds that scale off gem level / more sp% stacking it means huge jump in DPS

Zeriel

Arcane
That HP doe. Makes me feel like an idiot for running around with 6K. I guess you can take the SSF HC player out of HC but you can't take the SSF HC out of them.

Israfael

Arcane
That HP doe. Makes me feel like an idiot for running around with 6K. I guess you can take the SSF HC player out of HC but you can't take the SSF HC out of them.
I'd love to have more hp, but currentlly (and probably in principle) it's not possible to get much more (also, ranger is super-starved str/int-wise so i have to use big str/int nodes). Also, a notice to our anti-zoom friends, this actually makes gameplay very 'tactical' as basically everything one shots me (shaper balls, fire exarch balls and every other attack, sirius beams etc). I have to get 5x more dps as RF character to play at the same level of comfort (what I call 'cruising')

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd love to have more hp, but currentlly (and probably in principle) it's not possible to get much more (also, ranger is super-starved str/int-wise so i have to use big str/int nodes). Also, a notice to our anti-zoom friends, this actually makes gameplay very 'tactical' as basically everything one shots me (shaper balls, fire exarch balls and every other attack, sirius beams etc). I have to get 5x more dps as RF character to play at the same level of comfort (what I call 'cruising')

I always use some kind of totems for Exarch balls and Sanctum bosses balls. They block those kind of projectiles and live.

abija

Prophet
My top character this league is a brand grandpa who isn't very fast and doesn't have good clear (until I found an Inpulsa at lvl99), but he is very tanky and has great single target. If you can't build a non-zoom character without "gimping" yourself, then that is your problem. The game gives you plenty of options.
Kindly shut the fuck up about how clear speed is not required. Even the fact that you talk about league starters contradicts you.
And get some reading comprehension because you missed the point with speed, one shotting, or rares by a mile. Oh wait, it's not that... just one of your gaslighting tehniques.

One shotting normal packs isn't a requirement at all. Most league starter builds have to use at least two skills to clear a pack
You know how people complain about getting 1shot and ggg or some ggg defenders point out there were in fact 5, 10, 30 w/e attacks in less than 1s? That's exactly what you did, typical gaslighting. The point is the mobs die too fast not that there were 1, 2 or 10 attacks before they even turn to face the player.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Retards advocating for HP bloat on trash mobs. :lol: :lol: :lol: Go play something else, these games are not for you.
PoE is only game that lets you one shot screen of mobs like this.. Grim Dawn did a bit but only in some parts of the game and only single targets or in small AoE.
"Games like these" = PoE. And we are complaining about PoE.

Gerrard

Arcane
LMAO the absolute fucking cope od D2cucks who think D2 was at any point faster than current PoE

tritosine2k

Erudite
So fast builds are immersion breaking but skanky archnemesis with totem dodge bowling isn't. M'kay, battered wife syndrome.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Snatched this one from Reddit.

Endgame & Leagues​

• PoE 2’s intitial Endgame will feature less then the current PoE 1, but Pinnacle Bosses are confirmed
  • Not yet sure if a League will start at Launch, depending on how big the regular Endgame is
  • They dont want players to feel strange with a new Game and alter their experience with a Season
  • The System of larger and smaller Leagues continues, with one big Expansion each year
  • No plans to add more Classes past the current 12, but maybe more Ascendancies in the far future
  • Scions will be discontinued, but Cross-Class gameplay will be possible. More about this whenever the Passive Tree will be showcased

Alpha & Beta​

• A NDA-Closed Alpha will be hosted for “the most ridiculous players”
  • The Beta will be significantly hard, because lowering the difficulty of things is more easy
  • The Team would love to release PoE in 2024, and 6 months feels like a good time for the Beta.
  • They will only launch the Game whenever they feel ready
  • As soon as the Beta finishes, the Game will launch seemless.
  • They want a lot of Players in the Beta, especially to test the Economy
  • You might be able to continue playing your Beta Character in Standard, but they will be unashamed to brick your Character during the Beta, rendering them potentially useless anyway
  • They plan two full Resets during the Beta
  • They want Beta players to feel like playing a finished Game
  • 3.24 alpha testing to start soon

Trade System​

• The Instant Buyout System should not feel like an Auction House
  • Regular Player to Player Trade will still exist
  • Gold is the Trade Mediator for Instant Buyouts
  • Trade Website will be the Interface for even Instant Buyouts
  • Currency Trade System will be different then non-Currency Trade, but no further information
  • No plans to make SSF more accessible, in reference to Last Epoch

Quality of Life Changes​

• Gold is automatically picked up
  • Pickup Radius modifiers are not planned
  • Talking about Pickup Radius, Jonathan said that the 3.23 Wildwood will not go Core, so there will be less loot to pickup anyway
  • Inventory Slots are the same as in PoE 1
  • Inventory Tetris will remain, no plans to make Items use 1 slot
  • No Plans for Ingame Interface for Lootfilters, other Players create already great ones.
  • Playing without Lootfilters should feel correct. Players should not feel that everyone else has a better solution then the Developers
  • While playing Path of Exile, it is fine to have out-of-game clients like the PoE Wiki, Trading Website and more. Jonathan noticed the concerns of Wudijo about breaking the immersion to use 3rd party websites.
  • Tooltips will be more useful, teaching players certain mechanics like “how Ignite works”.
  • Clarifying modifiers like “Nearby” with ingame Tooltips were not yet considered, but Jonathan is very nearby of that idea.

Keyboard Movement​

• Both Jonathan and Wudijo are enjoying the Keyboard movement, especially after testing it in Diablo IV.
  • They dont like that all Event Racers have to use Keyboard movement to be able to click stuff in their Interface while moving, but this is the price they have to pay. Keyboard Movement will not be interrupted by using the Interface. “Sorry Racers

Crafting​

• Players should craft more! A Crafting Bench is in the game, and other Crafting Mechanics aswell. Jonathan does not yet want to talk about the Crafting Bench.
  • Currency Spamming will not be a thing. Using Currencies to craft should feel meaningful.
  • Map Rerolling with Currencies is not yet fully answered, due to the missing tests of an Economy. “Players want to take out more then they put in

Lessons from other Games​

• If Competitors pathed a certain way, they should adapt to it.
  • Path of Exile 2 was not just developed because Diablo IV was on its way.
  • For Jonathan, PoE feels better then Diablo IV especially in-terms of Combat System. He also thinks that the Devs at GGG know better how to maintain a Game in the long term.
  • Path of Exile should be a game that is focused on Single Player, but also feel balanced if played in a Party with other people.

Builds​

• Using Combos should feel more powerful, but it should not feel forced to play a certain combo.
  • Combining bonuses in PoE 2 has high opportunity cost
  • To answer the question how players can find the right difficulty for them to play, Jonathan replied with “the Rewards given, which will give you the economically correct level of difficulty
  • There is no easy solution to Power Creeping, its more of a decision of “does it feel right or wrong
  • In terms of Nerfing Builds, paying close attention is the solution. After League Start, they will mostly not change something, but especially during Beta, they have the right to completely brick your Build.
  • To the question about Class Balancing, Jonathan replied that Melee Builds are now in a way better spot then in PoE 1

Viewer Questions​

• The current Situation about Ultrawide Screens is fine
  • Cross-Play (Console & PC) will be discussed later
  • Trade Vendor will be discussed later
  • A Mentor System is not on the list
  • No current plans to add more to the Guild feature
  • The Respec System has been changed. It now costs Gold to change Passives. Respec Orbs are not yet sure to remain.
  • Witch Gameplay Video coming soon
  • They would like to do more competitive aspects like Ladders, but nothing specific yet
  • No plans for a Bad-Luck Protection, and Jonathan really hates the idea
  • The Crit System has changed, but Jonathan forgot how it was changed. More about it at another day
  • Jonathan is not the biggest fan of overlays like ‘Awakened PoE Trade’, and they would love to make them feel not mandatory to the Game.
  • Dodge Roll will have ways to be modified, but not with just simple “Roll Distance Modifiers”
  • Mirror of Kalandra remains as rare as it is
  • Steam Deck support should work, nothing to be concerned
  • A distinct and clear “No” to the question about skipping the Campaign on second Characters.

abija

Prophet
"The current Situation about Ultrawide Screens is fine"
LOL, technology isn't there yet (anymore).
(also misleading cliffnote, he isn't actually aware there are monitors wider than their max ratio)

Clarifying modifiers like “Nearby” with ingame Tooltips were not yet considered, but Jonathan is very nearby of that idea.
This is misleading, the question was about showing the radius precisely with a circle around the player.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
Imagine looking forward to more of this:

Is "Jonathan" responsible?

1 day ago
Huge oversight for YouTube to not offer x2000 playback speed so I could finish watching this before I fall asleep

You just know at some point we will get GGG's version of "fixing" this, which is to make melee absurdly overpowered for one season... then nerf it back into the ground of uselessness for the next 3 years. That's what happened with impale. And dual wield. "Oh this thing is slightly too powerful? Okay, remove 90% of its power so it is completely useless in the meta and will never come back, and no it isn't a problem that that now makes it awful, now I don't have to think about it so all is well in the world."

Dual wield especially is so fucking annoying. All they had to do was slightly nerf it to make all other options better, but not make dual wield feel pointless, but no, they had to make it exponentially worse than any other choice just to fuck with people. PoE is a cool game in a lot of ways, but their balance philosophy is irritating as hell.

Israfael

Arcane
You just know at some point we will get GGG's version of "fixing" this
I think it was a concious choice, i thought boneshatter was pretty good? It looks like this guy just simply chose to play uber tanky zdps build for lolz

tritosine2k

Erudite
uber tanky

he'd still die to "teleprompter" coreographed attacks, like you'll die when playing blind (no prior knowledge)

or to stupid shit like some degen AOE "event" ( like in Vorana expedition fight how you know you are supposed to be in AOE or out, retarded design )

point is you have to trial and error that shit like a good autist (like how would he know what's tanky if theres no prior ) but it's "slow" lol,

& they "just" took the RPG out of ARPG.

Zeriel

Arcane
You just know at some point we will get GGG's version of "fixing" this
I think it was a concious choice, i thought boneshatter was pretty good? It looks like this guy just simply chose to play uber tanky zdps build for lolz

By this I mean how dumpster melee builds are in general. Sure you can do lots of DPS if you want, but it's nothing compared to ranged and spells and yada yada. And mechanics thereof being left broken for years. Like the aforementioned dual wield. Like chopping off a guy's head and calling it medicine. That's their approach to balance in a lot of ways.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom