Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Path of Exile II - isometric souls with loot (beta coming late 2024)

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Well I guess if you put it like that...
Then again you don't need close to mirror items to finish the content on offer so at that point meh.
how these people operate actually influences game design
That's actually dumb yeah.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Though that TFT were asians from some third country and RMT make them rich - something they would no accomplish with honest work in their country(side?)/city...

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
This last interview gives weight to my suspicion that PoE2 is going to underdeliver on many fronts, because they pivoted the project into a standalone way too late and are now behind the schedule on fundamental systems like Story Delivery. The way Jon talked about it, when Preach asked him yesterday, sounded like they don't have a good answer for this yet and the beta is in 6 months already. In a post BG3 world you just can't do the PoE1 style monologuing anymore, but if you try doing what BG3 or d4 does with their ingame cutscenes, you run into the problem of no character customization. Which they expressly rejected because each class is supposed to be distinct and solidified.

Speaking of classes. I feel like right now in PoE1 all 7 classes are very distinct, but I feel like it's going to suck in PoE2 with 12, 6 being basically only variations on a theme. It's going to muddy the RP aspect without truly satisfying anybody, because you need proper custom char creation for that.

Their solution to the "all endgame items are crafted instead of picked up from the floor" problem doesn't convince me either. I can see it going wrong in so many ways. Your inventory gets filled way too quickly with all the armours and 2-handers and you have to make constant trips to town, but you still end up with garbage. You are constantly picking up bases and trying to craft on them mid map, slowing the gameplay to a crawl. There aren't enough bases dropping and progress becomes so unreasonably slow that you just give up and buy the upgrade from another player anyway, just like you're doing it already in PoE1. What players really want is to just drop an identified upgrade on the floor, or a great 5-6 mod item, or a +2 spells wand or something, not having to constantly loot unidentified gear in hopes of hitting some astronomical jackpot. Their philosophy on the ID Scroll prevents them from doing that.

Obviously, none of the above are an issue to new players, for whom PoE2 really is. They are all going to be very happy with PoE2, but not because GGG solved all the problems and made a truly great game, but because there isn't really any competition out there.

ADL

Prophet
Ranger looks great. Delaying again fucking sucks. Hopefully they'll open the alpha up to paypigs like me :^)

ArchAngel

Arcane
So according to all reports recent showcase was so hard and unfun game journalist all gave up even before reaching end of Act 1.
I guess it was so bad they immediatelly pushed back the beta release LOL

Last edited:

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
What it looks to me is they were expecting to copy/paste most of PoE1 and after the split they had to redo everything so balance has nothing to do with delays.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
... but that means it was good. :(

Using game journalists as a test audience is retarded.
They weren't journalists, they were PoE streamers, and the demo difficulty was aimed at them. Did you actually watch any of it? It looked like ass.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
... but that means it was good. :(

Using game journalists as a test audience is retarded.
They weren't journalists, they were PoE streamers, and the demo difficulty was aimed at them. Did you actually watch any of it? It looked like ass.
PoE streamers were able to mostly reach Act2 but more than one said there were also journalists there and those all quit earlier in Act 1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom