Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Aothan

Magister
I'm experiencing multiple stalls as well, not sure where they are coming from but they can prove very dangerous at times.

I just noticed the level 67 Thunder gloves which seem like they would match my character's design well, I'm surprised they are relatively economical, given they can be treated as a quasi-five link of sorts

T. Reich

Arcane
If by "economical" you mean "cheap" - it hadn't always been this way.

They used to cost 15+ exalts, and had been quite rare.

That being said, they used to be so valuable waaay back when elemental attack builds (with gratuitous amount of aura stacking) had been all the rage. When the best bow skill was lightning arrow (you can laugh now, bitterly) and the best bow was lioneye's glare or voltaxic rift. And the best bow class was duelist or mara.

And the best melee class was dual-wield ele-cleave.

Sigh, takes me back...

Aothan

Magister
perhaps it's an irony of sorts then, because these various changes (including the substantial revision to Shock elemental status) tend to give these gloves (re)new(ed) uses. The increased shock status also affects creature bodies, but I'm not sure if that counts for shocking ground or was a result of Elemental Proliferation. Depending on how that works I could either use Ice Crash with said gloves, or rather Cold Snap with Elemental Proliferation. The ability to Freeze and Shock anywhere on the screen has always been very useful to me, and even with the newest changes (i.e. successive balances) to Shock and Freeze and Elemental Proliferation (etc) these capabilities still prove useful, albeit with some investment in skill gem configurations.

that said, I just found out earlier Shock has now been limited to one shock and curtailed at 50%, I think it is still complementary to my 'generalist' style of spells, auras, melee and so on and probably the best use of skill points for increasing dps at this time (trying to add another 25% chance to Shock with my new few levels)

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Does any of you play Warbands? I'm looking for a few people to play 72-74 maps with me.

Aothan

Magister
my level 70 Templar is no longer in Tempest, I made the mistake of continuing in the Pit map where the gates close and increasing numbers of units begin to converge, well this is as good example as any of what happens to 'Out of Mana' (Mind over Matter) if you are swarmed.

strangely enough level 70 is still more like the beginning of this character's potential, with so many design elements aligning at that time every five or so more skillpoints can make for substantial differences in character abilities.

T. Reich

Arcane
Lvl70 is the time of char opening up. It's the time of a critical build (not gear) check to see if your build is actually viable to complete the non-map endgame and to start endgame maps.
A char usually reaches its normal-high potential at around lvl85, when the build should be "complete" in all senses of the word.
Leveling beyond that is usually a matter of powergaming - incremental increases seem slow and expensive,but if you compare the lvl90 char to lvl85, or 95 to 90, you will see how much that matters (a lot).

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Agreed, around level 70 is when you finish all the outlines of the build, for example getting all your defensive nodes/gear to be able to survive and all the important keystones, after that it's mostly trying to get the most damage out of the tree which will make a huge difference level per level.

Aothan

Magister
it is the reciprocal synergies between attributes, items and skills which, at least for my Templar, seem to make character development that much more substantial and thus defining. I was looking forward to improving overall elemental abilities as with some increased defences but overextended in the pit map.

well, I may well try a Ranger shortly, another melee Ranger, as I used to play, whilst I feel as though I have played the game a hundred times over, Rangers offer speed and skill even from earlier levels which should make the experience an enjoyable one.

is there anyway to remove special effects, cosmetics, from characters without finding the specific item ? I have about 80+ tabs as a result of multiple leagues and not clearing the stored inventory tabs after each league.

Absinthe

Arcane
A rule of thumb for MOM builds is that you should not require mana for your skills. This means either a Blood Magic support gem, using Elreon's special jewelry for -8 cost skills (along with possibly reduced mana support/nodes/jewels), hitting things with a Soul Taker, or a completely passive CWDT/Reckoning/Herald/Tempest Shield build. Soul Taker can still drive you OOM with attacks so you still have to manage your mana pool with that.

I prefer the second method, myself. The last method works pretty great if you're into Facebreaker though.

Last edited:

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
is there anyway to remove special effects, cosmetics, from characters without finding the specific item ? I have about 80+ tabs as a result of multiple leagues and not clearing the stored inventory tabs after each league.

Not that I know of. Probably done on purpose so that you get tired of looking and buy another cosmetic. But I hear you can send request to support and they will return effects to the shop stash.

Aothan

Magister
the Energy From Within (100% change from Life to Energy Shield) and Energised Armour (200% Energy Shield to Armour) jewel changes make for some interesting possibilities. I've decided to start anew with a Ra..Templar and this time travel into the Scion area and then further towards the Ranger area for the Command of Steel shield passives. I also want to take all of the increased duration skill passives to increase the time of Herald of Thunder.

Aothan

Magister
Path of Jewel nodes ? Seems like it could redefine so many aspects of character building. But mostly for the raw potential of jewels and how much they exceed so many other skill choices and skill pathways (e.g. 15% or more attack speed for one node, etc)

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
I noticed there's good chaos nodes around the Shadow. What are these for? I heard Viper strike has become a piece of shit these past months.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
I noticed there's good chaos nodes around the Shadow. What are these for? I heard Viper strike has become a piece of shit these past months.
Poison Arrow maybe? It seems to be popular now, but I have no idea if they go for those nodes or something else.

T. Reich

Arcane
Viper Strike has never stopped being shit. It's always been crap.

Well, relatively so. It can still (both before and after changes) be a pretty bitchin' good single-target skill if you have a spare 4L for it, but it totally blows (and has always blown hard) as an aoe-clear skill. And that means that it sucks, plain and simple.

All those chaos/degen damage nodes near shadow/ranger are for boosting Poison Arrow. Degen nodes can also be pretty good for burning builds (Explosive Arrow mostly), since they basically act as "burning damage" nodes in that regard.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
What's the point of going poison arrows with shadow? Ranger is just better at it.

Viper Strike yeah is pretty pathetic. If you want single target just use Double Strike. They nerfed spash too.

So any good melee build that makes uses of the Shadow's mana/agi capacities? I'm desperately looking for one but all I see on the forum are either spellcasting (like use a witch...), bows or reave (which is too dull).

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
I don't play enough to understand why. Ranger just has better nodes if you really want to make arrows your main thing.

T. Reich

Arcane
One of the main feaqtures of PoE is that you are not limited in the passive tree - you can pick any passives if you can reach them from your starting class place. Nothing stops you from taking a marauder and taking a beeline for the int part of the tree, and ending up with a caster build. Nothing stops you from starting as ranger and making a rather small detour to the shadow's chaos/dot nodes to strengthen the PA damage if you wish so.

Also, PA and "arrows as your main thing" don't mix. Most of bow-related nodes augment physical weapon damage, and while PA deals this damage as well, its current main strength is the could dot effect, which is absolutely, 100% detached and unrelated to bow damage whatsoever. As such, "bow physical" damage nodes of ranger are totally useless for PA builds (projectile damage nodes still work though, but shadow area has some of those as well).

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Yeah, people overestimate the amount of passive points you need to invest to get from one part of the tree to the other, especially two that are next to each other. It is very beneficial to make the trip from one character's part of the tree to the neighbour as they very often share some usefull pasives. Like Mara can go up to templar for more health, armour and two handed damage. Templar can go up towards Witch for mana, energy shield, elemental damage, spell damage, casting speed, if he is in need of them.

I would say that a character that stays only in their own part of the tree will be very limited and after around level 45-50, he will be forced to pick nodes that are pretty meh.

Aothan

Magister
the Templar's skill pathways are very neatly contained, almost too much so, since often I cannot expand anywhere for costs unless I want to incorporate something novel e.g. Essence Surge on the other side of the tree

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom