Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Balor

Arcane

T. Reich

Arcane
How about you read the full sentence?
Aoe-dealing bosses. That do aoe damage. That deals a lot of damage to several totems at once. Totems die. You have to recast totems. Recasting totems = dps idle time, reducing your peak sustainable dps. Fewer totems = less micro-management, reduced dps idle time.

Totem survivability is a potential issue, not a current one.

And keep in mind that we're discussing a theorycrafted build, I'm not playing it right now.

Balor

Arcane
Aoe-dealing bosses. That do aoe damage. That deals a lot of damage to several totems at once. Totems die. You have to recast totems. Recasting totems = dps idle time, reducing your peak sustainable dps. Fewer totems = less micro-management, reduced dps idle time.

Well, I've been playing a glass cannon ascendant build with totems + skeletons (CWC summon skeletons on wither) and actually had a relatively easy time with *most* bosses. I'm a casual player nowadays plus SSF makes for extremely shitty gear - so no soul mantle or kikazary in near future - but most importantly no 'From Dust' hence high damage bosses easily destroy skeletons faster than I can summon them, OR smarter bosses (like Izaro) who pretty much ignore your summons most of the time and go directly after you.
Otherwise boss fights is mostly me withering/summoning skeletons while boss is busy ripping them apart while being inundated with DP blasts from totems that are positioned well out of the harm's way.

And keep in mind that we're discussing a theorycrafted build, I'm not playing it right now.

Ok, point taken.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Managing DP totems seems like lots of bother. With new Hiero I would rather go self cast RF and 3 Scorching Ray totems. You use RF to clear trash and SR totems will deal with bosses fast.

EDIT: As for new Assassin, the poison versions seems OK but I don't like how non poison version has 0 defensive abilities, only offense. I don't like such ascendancies. It never had them so I never liked to play it. Killing enemies before they kill you only works in theory until you run into bosses with invulnerability phases or tough enemies/bosses that leap jump on top of you..

Last edited:

Balor

Arcane
You use RF to clear trash and SR totems will deal with bosses fast.

Do SR totems burning beams stack? Last I heard, RF and Searing Bond does not, is it a different mechanic?

EDIT:

It seems they do.

Also, talking of searing bond totems, lol:

YpBxN.png

Last edited:

Zdzisiu

Arcane
That Hierophant is pretty damn nice, I wonder if I should do another totem build, my last serious one was flame totems before ascendancies even.

T. Reich

Arcane
You use RF to clear trash and SR totems will deal with bosses fast.

Do SR totems burning beams stack? Last I heard, RF and Searing Bond does not, is it a different mechanic?

Different types of burning damage stack: ignite, burn from RF, burn from SB, burn from SR, burn from burning ground (msybe even from different burning grounds?).
Same type of burning damage from different sources doesn't stack: 2+ SB rays (even from different players) do no extra damage, only one RF burn can be applied to a monster at a time, etc. The only known exception is the burn dot from SR - each instance of dot burn from each instance of SR counts as separate instance of damage.

Balor

Arcane
Managing DP totems seems like lots of bother. With new Hiero I would rather go self cast RF and 3 Scorching Ray totems. You use RF to clear trash and SR totems will deal with bosses fast.

EDIT: As for new Assassin, the poison versions seems OK but I don't like how non poison version has 0 defensive abilities, only offense. I don't like such ascendancies. It never had them so I never liked to play it. Killing enemies before they kill you only works in theory until you run into bosses with invulnerability phases or tough enemies/bosses that leap jump on top of you..

I love glass cannon builds but this very reason makes them unviable in the true 'end-game' content.
I partially solved this issue with phase run that works kinda like 'sneak mode' I enter after setting up my totems, but smarter bosses that spam aoe and red maps are still a chore. :(

ArchAngel

Arcane

I love glass cannon builds but this very reason makes them unviable in the true 'end-game' content.
I partially solved this issue with phase run that works kinda like 'sneak mode' I enter after setting up my totems, but smarter bosses that spam aoe and red maps are still a chore. :(
Due to Path of Building my knowledge of the game has progressed to a point where I can easily make builds that can reach red maps and even do well DPS wise. But once I do reach there I noticed that you start dying no matter your dps if you didn't build defenses well. And that means multiple layers of defenses.

Balor

Arcane

Due to Path of Building my knowledge of the game has progressed to a point where I can easily make builds that can reach red maps and even do well DPS wise. But once I do reach there I noticed that you start dying no matter your dps if you didn't build defenses well. And that means multiple layers of defenses.

Well, that's fair I guess. If you just want to make 'fun' builds for shits and giggles you should be prepared that you will not be able to unlock all content, otherwise it would be rightfully called 'popamole'.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Anyone got last memory fragments?
I have currently 13/15 and quest notes say "fight Elder's Guardians on the maps". I'm sure for 99% that I need two T10 Shaper's orbs that spawn on T15 maps under Elder's influence.

But there are two problems.
One - 20 maps under Elder's influence to spawn Eld+guards is a lot. Why? Because...
Second problem - RNG. That's right, this shit is even here. Even if you have 3(!) T15 maps under Elder influence it does not guarantee that Elder and friends spawn there to create memory fragment. Chance to spawn Elder+guards on certain tier = 16% if you have these 3 T15 maps for him. Sounds crazy.

I said "20 maps is a lot" because I had 3 cases where I had 3 T15 maps for Elder but he went to nearby yellow maps with his fellas.

tl;dr GGG turned nice concept into MASSIVE chore because they HAD TO PUT RNG here cause fuck you, your money and your time.

T. Reich

Arcane
Anyone got last memory fragments?
I have currently 13/15 and quest notes say "fight Elder's Guardians on the maps". I'm sure for 99% that I need two T10 Shaper's orbs that spawn on T15 maps under Elder's influence.

But there are two problems.
One - 20 maps under Elder's influence to spawn Eld+guards is a lot. Why? Because...
Second problem - RNG. That's right, this shit is even here. Even if you have 3(!) T15 maps under Elder influence it does not guarantee that Elder and friends spawn there to create memory fragment. Chance to spawn Elder+guards on certain tier = 16% if you have these 3 T15 maps for him. Sounds crazy.

I said "20 maps is a lot" because I had 3 cases where I had 3 T15 maps for Elder but he went to nearby yellow maps with his fellas.

tl;dr GGG turned nice concept into MASSIVE chore because they HAD TO PUT RNG here cause fuck you, your money and your time.

13/15 here as well.

My current hypothesis is that memory fragments' placement is semi-fixed. I was sitting at 10/15 for a very long time, despite getting the Elder and his guardians spawn in t14+ maps several times. The reason for that seemed to be that I only spread the Elder influence in the two left-side segments of the atlas. As soon as I realised that, the next few times I forced the Elder influence into the right-side segments. One time I was successful, and I got 3(!) memory fragments to spawn in the upper-right red tier segment. Soon after, I forced the Elder into that area once again - no memory fragments. So far, the only un-elderified map segment for me is the lower-right one (the Minotaur one). The fucker simply refuses to spawn inside the red-tier zone. I'm 100% sure that I'll get my 14th memory fragment there. MAybe I'll even get lucky and get the Elder to spawn on a t15 map to qualify me for the last 15th memory fragment (yeah, fat chance).

The current memory fragment system is symptomatic of the overal GGG design - a potentially interesting mechanic outright murdered by multiple layers of retarded RNG.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I'm actually not too bothered by them not nerfing Pathfinder and instead giving it a slight buff (basically its 2% more ele damage taken and 3 flask charges every 3 seconds which scales with increased flask charges gained). With how strong the other ascendancies look right now there's no real reason to slap Pathfinder with a big nerf when it's already being outclassed by quite a few other ascendancies. Pathfinder was like 4-5% of the >lv90 population, with every other ascendancy being buffed to match the old/new Pathfinder it may actually be fairly underrepresented in the new League.

Champion is looking to be a really nice ascendancy if they finally remove taunt-immunity from endgame bosses or at least make them ignore the taunt while still being affected by the Champion Ascendancy bonuses.

Hyperion

Arcane
Bex mentioned in the Reddit thread the team is looking for a solution already. Champion has always been a solid class, better than Juggernaut for Lab Farming imo (better offense, similar enough defenses), but as long as Slayer and armor calculations remain as is, it will be completely outgunned. Uber cull, and overleech are just too damn good. Exceptions will be made for Hipster builds, and those that take advantage of Adrenaline.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Champion looks cool. It might even be better now for self cast RF than Juggernaut due to better damage bonuses.

frajaq

Erudite
Is there any build that works with Scion better than other classes? I always found her to be so gimmicky

ArchAngel

Arcane
Is there any build that works with Scion better than other classes? I always found her to be so gimmicky
In 3.1 Scion is better Assassin than Assassin.
Also it gets a bit of Slayer overleech ability so you can do spell builds that leech life.

Reinhardt

Arcane
She's not bald, not black, not emo and overall ok.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom