Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Livonya

Augur
Patron
Yeah, just make sure you hit F1 when you see a lag spike so that you can watch the connection.

If I am having any problems I just keep the lag meter up and when it gets wild I stand still for a bit and wait it out, or just make sure I am extra liberal with the health potion drinks. In my experience as long as you are drinking health potions during lag spikes then when it smooths out the server will give you credit for using those potions.

I have never died in normal play from lag spikes or disconnects. I have however died many many times while trying to run past mobs during a lag spike. And also never try to use a way point when there are monsters chasing you. Monsters still hit you for a bit when you use a way point and I have died several times while trying to zone.

So if there are monsters around that could kill you kill them before you use a way point.

I haven't had any real problems with hardcore and disconnects. All of the disconnects I have experienced have been on GGG's side, and when that happens you don't die.

I did die once a few days ago when I got a disconnect, but I only died on the client side, not on the server side. So the server crashed and my client killed me but that info was never transferred to the server. So when I logged back in I was still in hardcore.

Also, in my opinion your first few hardcore characters are really about gathering resources. As long as I am stock piling some rare rings and crafting items then I don't really care about a death. My next play through will be easier due to the things I have stocked in my stash.

In only takes about 3 or 4 hours to get a character to level 30, so death isn't that big of a deal. If you play fast you can quickly get back to a place where it doesn't seem like you are starting over.

Also, maps are extremely fun on hardcore. That sense of not knowing what you are going to face, and being afraid that you might die is quite intense when you start running maps. You will often find yourself in dicey situations where you would be better off just avoiding a particularly hard situation.

I really enjoyed maps in hardcore in closed beta. I suspect they will be even better now with all the new map tiles from Act 3...

With all that said I will probably die tonight from a disconnect or lag spike. Ha.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Halfway through act I on merciless and still having tons of fun. There are so many champion mobs with auras around that it almost feels like I'm in a beach resort.

Castanova

Prophet
I just made it to Merciless with my Summoner Witch. Level 51. ~0% net elemental resists and -60% chaos resistance. ~650 hp/550 energy shield. Yeah, my equipment is trash! I'm hoping Act 1 is fairly easy even in Merciless like it was in Cruel. However, I'm not sure what I should do with my build. I already have Hex Master and I want to get Whispers of Doom for double curse pwnage... but then again, getting that combo uses up a whopping 6 passive points which I'm really tempted to use getting 32% chaos resist in passive nodes and some HP nodes with the leftovers. What should I do codex? What should I do!

Here's my current passive tree.

DakaSha

Arcane
so despite it prob have been mentioned 50 times: am i gonna have to pay for this to feel like im getting the whole game?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
so despite it prob have been mentioned 50 times: am i gonna have to pay for this to feel like im getting the whole game?

Not in a million years if they keep the current scheme. Everything you pay for is animations and extra stash space (there's plenty in the unpaid for game).

Take a look yourself at the stuff you pay for: https://www.pathofexile.com/shop

Basically, this is the most Pay2Win-free Free2Play game I've seen yet.

DakaSha

Arcane
Well if its better than LoL im game. I think they have an EXTREMELY fair system. if this is better then yay.

downloading.

This IS better than torchlight 2 right? That game sucked my dick

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well if its better than LoL im game. I think they have an EXTREMELY fair system. if this is better then yay.

There are actually features in LoL's F2P model that makes you more competitive in the game if you pay. Yes, you can get as competitive without spending a dime, but it takes time. ALOT of time.

Here, every one is equally equal, from the get-go. Only cosmetics (like animations, effects and pets) and ease-of-use stuff (like an expanded stash) can be purchased with money.

This IS better than torchlight 2 right? That game sucked my dick

Torchlight 2 was a casual, smooth ride through the joys of Hack-&-Slash. It was cool though.

This is by far the best H&S game I have ever played, in terms of game mechanics. It also has pretty cool atmosphere and story devices that beat T2 and D3 soundly, though they do not compete with D1 and D2.

However, do note that in the end it is just a Hack-&-Slash aRPG. The mechanics are far more complex that what we've seen before, but in the end you'll be clicking away mindlessly if you so choose, in a constant game of kill-getloot-kill-getloot (and glorious XPs). The gameplay still has more depth to it than any iteration of Torchlight and Diablo, the build-diversity is nothing less than insane, the difficulty and the ease with which you can fuck up stuff in your build is punishing, and especially when you consider PVP and end-game with rare map-drops to even more dungeons and enemies this has a lot to offer compared to anything you've seen in the genre before.

Push comes to shove though, it's still a Diablo-like action RPG. Take that for what you will.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
And also never try to use a way point when there are monsters chasing you. Monsters still hit you for a bit when you use a way point and I have died several times while trying to zone.

This is great advice, I've also lost a character to this - was trying to TP out of a sticky situation, actually managed to click the portal, but ended up dying nevertheless.

Also had my first HC death in Open Beta yesterday - only a level 23 Shadow, but it still stings since I had equipped him with some pretty sweet rares and it was due to my own carelesness. I was in Chamber of Sins 3 and ran in too eagerly to kill a Sin Lord, hoping to get him down before he resurrects too many casters - I didn't, he did, and the casters gibbed me.

Not sure how long I'm going to continue in HC with all the desyncing, lag, disconnections, etc - in addition to me being bad at the game. :P

Either way, I heartily recommend everyone at least starts their characters in HC - you can continue playing in SC if you wish, so it's not a huge loss if you snuff it. On the plus side, HC is an absolute rush and also teaches one some good habits, i.e. running the fudge away when the ish hits the fan, building for survivability, etc. These are also important in SC since there's an experience loss on death in the higher difficulties.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
What do you guys do with inventory? It seems so small to me, it fills up very quickly. I'm at the beginning though.

You don't need to pick up everything - in fact, you don't need to pick up most whites/blues. I recommend this video, it gives a pretty good overview of what's worth the inventory space:

In addition to the stuff mentioned in that video, I also pick up quality items (the ones with 'Superior' in the name) to trade for scraps and whetstones, but I might stop once I get a few stacks of those.

Arkeus

Arcane
Also had my first HC death in Open Beta yesterday - only a level 23 Shadow, but it still stings since I had equipped him with some pretty sweet rares and it was due to my own carelesness. I was in Chamber of Sins 3 and ran in too eagerly to kill a Sin Lord, hoping to get him down before he resurrects too many casters - I didn't, he did, and the casters gibbed me.
This sounds awfully familiar.:rage:

Angthoron

Arcane
Necromancer mobs are some of the most annoying crap there is to be found.

Also, finally got my build for RT and BM - AND I got 2 sweet sweet 2H maces in a row (96% bonus damage, and 62% bonus damage + a crapton of elemental, went with that as it gives more overall DPS). It's like having an endless stream of ammo for a shotgun. Occasional mobs need a Glacial Hammer or a Heavy Blow to the face but otherwise, woah, Ground Slam.

Mystary!

Arcane
Just started a Hardcore Marauder on EU named Irmgaal. Is it just me or does he sound exactly like Crixus from Spartacus?

Raapys

Arcane
No, far as I know there are no rumors of better drops in HC. As for cutthroat league, probably not for quite a while yet. They'll likely spend at least the next few weeks on stability issues and bugs before they start thinking of upcoming features like that one.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
I actually had more than a few GCP's- put them straight into my skill gems :oops:

Castanova

Prophet
I've found 2 GCP so far. I also found a 10% quality Added Chaos Damage gem which has got to be worth something.

This morning I found a 6-slot level 50 Sniper Bow, not all linked though. I know it's worth 7 Jeweler's at the vendor but what do you guys think I could get for it on the open market? I feel like there's gotta be someone out there willing to overspend.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom