Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Mraston

Learned
You are aware that Grinding Gear Games are from New Zealand right?

Yeah. In between this and the Far Cry 3 Maoris I don't know what's going on with us popping up in games.

I really want to say something about Boba Fett in the Clone Wars, but I cant figure out how to fit work it into a joke.

Castanova

Prophet
So, I made a pure Summoner Witch (in Default) and I rushed through the passive tree to pick up all the summon passives (no survivability nodes except for the Energy Shield ones at the very beginning). So far I totally blew through the game with ease, most recently laughing in Vaal Oversoul's face in Cruel. But then I went into Act 3 Cruel and the difficulty went through the roof for my character. I made it to the first encounter with Piety in that Lovers quest, she promptly one-shotted my entire zombie/skeleton/spectre army with one cast of that Lightning Ball spell, then she three-shotted me in about 1 second with her Arc spell.

I have Zombie and Spectre on a 4L item sharing Minion Life and Minion Damage. I also have Spell Totem + Skeletons + Minion Damage. I typically cast Vulnerability as a debuff then nuke with Firestorm (and sometimes Flammability).

I got Minion Instability and right near there is an easy-to-get +18% to Max Life node... so I think I'm going to go back to Act 2 and grind another 2-4 levels. We'll see how it goes.

I do wonder if a Summoner build is viable, though, because even if I level myself up my minions will still get raped by Piety's magic. I suppose I could use that Elemental Resistance aura just for that one fight but beyond that I don't see any way of increasing minion survivability against magic except for leveling up their skill gems so they have higher max life.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
So my slow ass has gotten to Act 3 finally on my HC Shadow, and I honestly don't know what the bro complaining about it meant. Visually, at least, it's perfect. Half-collapsed, dilapidated. overgrown, with rubble and trash lining the streets, it's easy to believe that this was once the thriving centre of a civilization. It helps that the overland maps are very big. For atmosphere and art design, it gets a monocle from me.

Gameplay wise, it's fine, better than Act 2 was at a similar point. I notice a general increase in difficulty from Act 2, as well as tons of leaping, whirling and fast-moving enemies. GGG really have it in for casters this patch, don't they?

abija

Prophet
Minor issue being that all the leaping, whirling and fast-moving enemies desync like fuck for melee.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
They need to introduce proper level scaling for affixes. I'm running around in the same jewelry and belt since level 8.

abija

Prophet
You can buy higher itemlevel jewelry from vendors and try "rolling" for better ones.

oscar

Arcane
What shit should you go (or what's the perks of each choice) for as a duellist? Evasion or armour? Shield, two-hand or duel-wield?

KoolNoodles

Arcane
What shit should you go (or what's the perks of each choice) for as a duellist? Evasion or armour? Shield, two-hand or duel-wield?

Well one of the good things about most classes, is that you can snake your way along the tech tree and do practically any combo if you plan it out right. HOWEVER, right now I'm doing a HC Duelist focusing on Armor+Evade, and Duel-Wield. There are a lot of Leather&Steel skills within reach for a duelist, so Armor+Evade is a natural choice. You can also do some nifty things with Unwavering Stance and Iron Reflexes, or if you want to keep your evade can easily get to Arrow Dodging which is handy. I'm dual wielding axes, because there is a giant axe tree nearby, as well as a wonderful dual wield tree nearby. I understand Axes aren't as "popular" as maces or swords, but axes look cooler and I'm going to fiddle with making their naturally higher dps work.

Vicar

Cipher
Patron
Guys I need some advice.
I'm a duel-wield duelist with unwavering stance and iron reflexes (and blade master etc etc). I had planned to get Blood Magic, but then I got hold of a Clarity Gem, it seems to be...sufficient. My health isn't that thick as of now, even though I've invested quite a lot in them:(
Should I still go far my planned route and take the Blood Magic, or should I skip over the blood magic, but continue to gain other Str/life and life leeching passive? Maybe I can create a life leeching clarity duel-wield duelist?
Some gems that I'm have are two faster attacks, bloodrage, life gain on hit, warlock's mark, clarity, flicker strike, double strike, mana leech, cleave, dual strike, vulnerabilty and enfeeble.
I'm still at default normal, by the way. I know I'm slow, spent too much time trading :troll:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Just noticed a nice effect that I'd never noticed before. Was sitting getting hit by a small crab in the flooded depths, was on the phone so was just letting him wail on me. Wasn't in any real danger, but my health was slowly going down. As it went down, the lighted area around my character, his "vision" slowly started to shrink. I guess when you take damage your view area shrinks. Kinda cool. Yeah it's not much, but sometimes it's the little things that show effort from game designers.

Revenant

Man, I like everything about this game. Its combat, classes, the passive skill jungle, skill gems, art direction are absolutely outstanding. And it's free!

I am an old time Diablo 2 player and oh how long have I been waiting for such a game as Path of Exile. Finally, I have my graphical action roguelike fix. I can already see just how amazing and full of oportunities the mechanics of this game are.

At first I was a little startled that there is no gold in game, but now I am beginning to see a good reason behind it. The item system is very interesting overall and is much more complex than that of D2. I have already found my first unique item, the wool shoes Wanderlust.

I am playing Moonthorne, a hardcore shadow. So, if you want to befriend me or kill my character, you are welcome.

The real Diablo 3. :love:

Can this game be played now (without paying money), or do I need to wait some more to try it for free? How long? Can it be played single player (i.e. me alone playing it, without anyone else randomly joining in)?

Revenant

Path of Exile is free to play, although you can pay money to obtain vanity items that don't affect gameplay. It is currently in open beta, you can play it since January 23. Characters from the open beta won't be wiped during the official release. Yes, it can be played single-player, although it is still an online game, thus you have to be connected to the internet all the time while playing it.

If I liked Diablo 1 (for its terrific setting, atmosphere and randomization (not necessarily items)), but Diablo 2 not so much (because it's essentially MMO lite), should I even try this game?

Angthoron

Arcane
Yes. The atmosphere is very much like D1. Only thing is no randomized quests so far, but this game has a much better Butcher than D3, for one. As someone that enjoyed D1 the most, I definitely say yes. Also, cross-class skills, just like D1.

Angthoron

Arcane
Keep in mind that first two acts will be fairly easy, and the real difficulty kicks in at the end of A2. Would recommend at least some investment in resistances.

Also, damn I goofed with not going for RT sooner.

Angthoron

Arcane
Keep in mind that first two acts will be fairly easy, and the real difficulty kicks in at the end of A2. Would recommend at least some investment in resistances.

Also, damn I goofed with not going for RT sooner.

What's an RT? How many acts are there?
3 acts, fast-paced progress, then jump to next difficulty level. Levels are random gen to the point where a North map exit can gen in the West
If you get really hooked, you'll get to end of A2 rather quick, but then it gets slower. Rerunning on higher difficulties feels fun thanks to fast pace and frequent mob brutality, so I think 3 acts aren't a detriment. Also, they plan to add more acts after launch, so, should be fine.

RT is resolute technique, a melee trait giving 100% hit chance but fully removes Crit. For my 2h melee that trait will be invaluable.

Angthoron

Arcane
I usually play melee so I took Marauder. Works fine most time. Tried Duelist too, more of a glasscannon class there. I hear Witch is rather strong due to hordes of pet summons, so should be ok as a starter class.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom