Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Too bad Titan Quest was boring ass game with dry, no blood, ragdoll combat. Same goes for Sacred and Dungeon Siege. They all failed to capture Diablo's addictive gameplay.

Marsal

Arcane
WYSIWYG loot bro. Have you tried Titan Quest? I know a lot of people hate on it, but loot not just made sense but was actually physically implemented in the game. I can't stop praising it. It was common sense, but also genius.
Is it just me or did Titan Quest have better graphics and "physics" (bodies flying from hits) than PoE? It also had an interesting class system and good loot.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
WYSIWYG loot bro. Have you tried Titan Quest? I know a lot of people hate on it, but loot not just made sense but was actually physically implemented in the game. I can't stop praising it. It was common sense, but also genius.
Is it just me or did Titan Quest have better graphics and "physics" (bodies flying from hits) than PoE? It also had an interesting class system and good loot.
Physics and graphics? Probably. Remember that MMOs target the lowest common denominator.

Class system and loot? Not so sure. TQ was more contemporary in classes. PoE is pretty out there in terms of class. Loot? Heavily based on WYSIWYG and I dare say it was a bit more varied than PoE, but then again PoE has a lot more magical affects than TQ has and in that way more similar to Diablo. Certainly in PoE you have the exact base item you want in terms of loot*, depending on your class preference. Not enough variability around that point, other than magic affects.

*To put this in better perspective, every class in PoE has its item type. Duelist, Evasion + Armour; Witch, Energy Shield; etcetera.

empi

Augur
Except you aren't at all locked to those gear choices based on your class, and your build etc. can make you change your mind. A ranger with iron reflexes could use eva, eva/arm, and an EB templar would probably want pure armor etc. etc.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Except you aren't at all locked to those gear choices based on your class, and your build etc. can make you change your mind. A ranger with iron reflexes could use eva, eva/arm, and an EB templar would probably want pure armor etc. etc.
Of course. I love their tree. It's very out there. However, the base armour is definitely designed for each archetype.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Same here. I hope they will either manage to get more servers and distribute the load or that a lot of players will get bored after the weekend and move to a different game.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Of course. I love their tree. It's very out there. However, the base armour is definitely designed for each archetype.
Well, there are only 3 defensive stats, and each one is associated with an attribute that is required to equip armor. What other options are there? They could add an armor type that adds everything at once, or they could arbitrarily ignore one of the hybrids or even one of the pure armor types. I can't think of any advantage that would have though.

Did you want it to be more like weapons with more redundant/slight variations? They could make heavy energy shield gear for example that fucks movement like plate armor or different ratios of the defensive stats on hybrid armors. Again, this doesn't seem to have much purpose though. Wouldn't make much of a difference anyways imo. Are swords and axes gladiator weapons because they require dex + str? No. They're just weapons that require particular stats.

empi

Augur
Well for some weapon types there are two categories with two different implicit mods, for maces there is the reduced stun threshold or the increased ele damage. They could have done the same with armors, but eh, I don't really see the need, armor system already is pretty deep. When you get to end gear, and exalting especially, even more subtleties come into it, such as whether the stat you want is a prefix or a suffix and whether you already have 3 suffixes/prefixes rolled. Then ofc you also have the whole gem thing which is massive, if you only have one 5l and it's not your preferred type it's still normally a good idea for you to use it if you can.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Wait, so what's up with that Dominus dude? Will the next act be available in the full version of the game, or it's unlocked at the max difficulty?

empi

Augur
This is the "full version", there's not gonna be another release or anything. But yeah they're planning to add more stuff to act 3 later this year, then keep adding more acts over the years if they can

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
So anyway, the game is kinda boring. Walk into area, play whack-a-mole, shit dies, loot flies everywhere, ignore it because you're already carrying loot from the previous area, walk into next lot of monsters, repeat.

Also, what actually happens when you die? I've died twice now and couldn't discern any sort of negative consequence.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
So anyway, the game is kinda boring. Walk into area, play whack-a-mole, shit dies, loot flies everywhere, ignore it because you're already carrying loot from the previous area, walk into next lot of monsters, repeat.

Also, what actually happens when you die? I've died twice now and couldn't discern any sort of negative consequence.

Welcome to hack-n-slash genre. If you didn't like Diablo 2, you can't expect to like any of it's clones, especially considering that PoE is easily one of the better ones.

Afaik there is no death penalty in normal difficulty, but latter ones carry an xp loss. I think it goes without saying that at higher levels it's quite a substantial reason not to run in guns blazing.

made

Arcane
Act1 was pretty boring. Act2 was better - more challenging, less linear. Started act 3 now and boredom is creeping in again, but the game is noticeably harder. Probably because I rarely find any gear upgrades anymore, and running around spamming ice nova is becoming less and less viable.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Without appropriate support gems, specials start to fall off in efficiency. They stack too, so getting a "+% elemental damage" and "turn % cold damage to fire/lightning" will really help. Thanks to them my main attack now deals 1k dps +30 hp healed per enemy hit.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
A quick tip. You shouldnt be picking all the blue shit thats laying around, its not worth your time and effort.

You pick white items with Superior prefix, items with 5 or 6 linked sockets, items with 3 linked sockets of different colours, rares, uniques. And maybe, just sometimes a white item that you are willing to enchant on your own.

made

Arcane
A quick tip. You shouldnt be picking all the blue shit thats laying around, its not worth your time and effort.

You pick white items with Superior prefix, items with 5 or 6 linked sockets, items with 3 linked sockets of different colours, rares, uniques.
And do what with them? Upgrade with those orbs? I've been stockpiling those for now, seems like a rng nightmare to put them to use.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
White with Superior prefix you match to get 40% or more combined quality and sell to vendor for Blacksmith wheatstone/Armourer scrap/Glassblower Bubble. Items with 3 linked sockets with different colours you sell for an chromatic orb.

5 - 6 linked sockets items you can try to change the sockets colours a bit to be more usefull for you or trade to another player for something more in line with your build.

Rares... well, you can either sell them for orb shards (Alternation, and sometimes Alchemy orbs). Or you can try and match the prefixes and shit to get regal orbs but its a bit more complicated and you should definitly read a guide to it.

And when you try to make yourself an item from a white item, apply the quality modifiers (Blacksmith wheatstone etc) first as they give 5% on whites, 2% on blues and 1% on yellows.

empi

Augur
And you can sell 6 sockets for 7 jeweller's, and eventually 6 sockets start getting stocked in the vendors so you can check on you level up for them at get some free currencies.
Also I wouldn't bother collection quality armor/weapons for the wheatstones/scraps, I always seem to have enough.
Also I traded my alch for some noob's 2 chaos and now I feel evil

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Nightmare act 2 and shit's getting hard. Damage is no problem, but surving is a bitch. And I'm yet to see a single legendary.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
I've got my first Unique at normal somewhere in prison. And it was a Bow for my Ranger! But it was the crapiest Unique you can imagine,
Silverbranch:

Dmg: 4-14 physical
  • +2 to Level of Bow Gems in this Item
  • 50-60% Increased Physical Damage
  • 10% Increased Attack Speed
  • +30 to Accuracy Rating
  • +10 Mana Gained when you kill an Enemy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom