Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Loving everything about the new league and endgame.

Except Snek Guy.

Snek Guy and his invulnerable snek friends that ambush and instantly shotgun you can go fuck himself.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So 18 hours in, had my first death. Environmental retardation, obviously. The combat has been nothing but a snoozefest so far with everything dying in 1 to 2 hits and dealing negligible damage. Untwinked character, before you ask.

Does it get any better? I'm near the end of act 3 and the combat has yet to force me to actually pay attention to flasks, buffs or whatever. It's Median XL Normal all over again :roll:.

abija

Prophet
If you're using Steam client to play Poe, you're your own worst punishment.

...I wonder how many crash complaints come from people playing via Steam client. Because I get virtually no crashes, like, ever. Apart from the common ones that get acknowledged by GGG and fixed within a day of them getting reported.
Steam client has nothing to do with crashes, only issue is having to rewrite whole content file for any minor patch (because GGG devs are inane).

janior

Arcane
Patron
So 18 hours in, had my first death. Environmental retardation, obviously. The combat has been nothing but a snoozefest so far with everything dying in 1 to 2 hits and dealing negligible damage. Untwinked character, before you ask.

Does it get any better? I'm near the end of act 3 and the combat has yet to force me to actually pay attention to flasks, buffs or whatever. It's Median XL Normal all over again :roll:.
the actual game starts after act 10

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Should be hitting difficulty curve, I'd say stick with it until act 6 at least if you're itching to drop it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Act 5 has a bit of a difficulty for new players, otherwise in Act 10 the game becomes a lot more difficulty and of course the maps after Act 10.

Perkel

Arcane
Reached maps today. Opinion: so far typical GGG.

overall:

- Most of bosses HP was finally buffed to point where you can't one shot them. I was playing berserker with +40% damage with pretty good two hander and heavy strike with focus on crit and later bosses pretty much were good sinks that you couldn't kill outright like before. Even died few times. Overall campaign improved a bit in fun aspect.
- some bosses got new moves and also deal a lot more damage like Merveil which previously was joke.
- new bow stuff is cool

metamorph

- great idea and it works well in campaign. When you hit maps they are rippy as hell. I think the worst part is that whole combat design is shit. In typical GGG fassion they couldn't just make you fight one ultra rippy boss. No no no, when boss hits around 50% he starts to call minions which often times are themseves rares with aura mods and there are multiple of them which means those auras stack and you are fucked unless you nuke them in split second. They can even spaw with immortality auras for double fuck and they are all fucking black, on black ground which can have black degen with main monster being black and extra extra minions being black.
So in typical GGG fasion everything is shit because you can't see shit and as usually you can just completely ignore that shit and just nuke it with spells. Bosses themselves are rippy as hell and they have ungodly amount of HP and somehow GGG figured out they need minions too ? Because everyone loves breach!
So thanks to those retarded changes again melee is fucked and spells just ignore that shit and kite. Physical damage either way doesn't matter because ele damage will rip you first.

Maps:

- New B guy influence on maps is retarded. Basically you play white (so not even rare with many mods) or blue T4-5 map which is easy normally and then his guys spawn who not only have way more HP than all of monsters on map but also have attack that can 1-2 shot you even if you run 76% lighting res because they are using that Aisling lighting pillars which always were rippy. Oh and they love spawn when you meet big groups of monsters so as usually in GGG fassion you can't see shit so good luck trying to see those lighting pillars before they rip you. That is all with 3,5k life, fortify and steelballs running on autocast with me stunning most of monsters. And tat is just white-blue map, if you get rare with mods they will 1shot you and they are not easy to spot and kill due to HP.

I feel like GGG doesn't have fucking clue what they are doing.

On one hand they want ARPG with statistics on other hand they want effectively platformer where player is supposed to learn how to dodge and shit in sea of monsters which is basically impossible. But hey it is nothing new, betreyal is exactly like that. You have strong bosses and you can't see shit because GGG decided that rippy bosses need also minions who are fucking green with green effects and so on, so when boss attack comes you can't dodge because you can't fucking see it so you kite that shit from range....

Ele damage is just plain retarded. You can mitigate physical damage to practically joke but ele damage regardless if you run 50% or 80% it will rip you. I think they should completely drop ele % res system and make it like armor or evasion where you can always get more mitigation and that cap is just eye cap not real cap. What is the fucking point of ele cap in first place ? What is the point of even having resists when you need to have them all maxed out to actually play game at all ?

Only chaos resist actually works imho like intended. You can run with 40% and live and you can go extra mile to get 75% which mostly makes chaos mild damage at best there is some choice in it.

It gets better from around act 5 to 10. Then you hit maps you have nice fun with few first tiers and then you basically create a build that either sucks or destroys everything in one shot aka you skip playing and just collect loot which is where fun ends.

Basically campaign is where most of the fun is as you cant yet brake the game and whole plethora of skills still work like melee stuff. Once you hit later you realize that anything close ranged is mistake.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
3.5k HP has not been enough for mapping for a while now unless you can one shot enemies from outside your screen.. sorry buddy but you need to build more defenses into your build, especially if you want to melee stuff.

ArchAngel

Arcane
My ranged characters run with 6000 to 7000 ehp. Even with that they sometimes get "one shot". One shot to me is all damage that comes so fast you have very little chance to react to it. Often it is not a real one shot but a bunch of enemies shooting at you at once and murdering you in less than 1s. Or it is some exploding shit fired from off screen that is just one part of the clusterfuck that screen effects, enemies and lag produce in this game.

I would not even try to go into melee without 8000+ ehp.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Perkel plays SSF, he doesn't have much choice.

Either you do enough damage to deal with content or you take life and compensate with gear.
Personally I find life to be overrated.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Either you do enough damage to deal with content or you take life and compensate with gear.

Playing SSF is not excuse. That means you start with easy build until you get good gear for your more complicated builds. You don't start with low life melee build and then complain about how the game is designed.
He could have started with necro minions build and farmed equipment for his melee guy.

Perkel

Arcane
3.5k HP has not been enough for mapping for a while now unless you can one shot enemies from outside your screen.. sorry buddy but you need to build more defenses into your build, especially if you want to melee stuff.

??

I run lvl 70, and i have invested mostly in life and phys damage. Then i have fortify and steelballs. I don't have perfect gear but on most i have from 50-60life. 3,5k hp at lvl70 + capped resists is about what you should expect from crappy gear from low level maps.
I also run 3 aura setup with enfeble, precision and sand stance. Aside from that i have regen + life leach.
Pretty much you can't have more defense than that outside of maxing out fortify effect without investement in gear.

I am talking T1-T5 maps

Secondly my point wasn't about that my build sucks but that you basically can't solve elemental damage issue like you can solve physical damage issues. It doesn't matter how much i invest into defense when you go into group of mobs and they basically anihilate you with ele damage.

Melee character have to go close in personal something ranged chracters don't need to do and ele defense is not actually greater than those of ranged characters. That is the problem. 75% cap is bullshit that should exist. It should go toward 90% but with resist working same as armor where you don't stack % but actual resists. Either that or making ele damage same as chaos where you don't need to cap chaos damage.

edit:

fuckign weird. i got from metaporh breachstone and it is straight up chayula. Look at this shit:

unknown.png

Perkel

Arcane

I migrated now to normal because friend is playing with me.

Playing SSF is not excuse. That means you start with easy build until you get good gear for your more complicated builds. You don't start with low life melee build and then complain about how the game is designed.

He could have started with necro minions build and farmed equipment for his melee guy.

?? The fuck you are talking even about. This is life build with max defenses. The only thing that is not defense oriented in this build is ascendacy which is Berserker but i picked up life leach and warcries which are defensive. Most of gear gets life. This is just normal lvl70 character. Can't get more life nodes easily early. By lvl 90 i will be sitting on at least 6k life without blood magic stuff.

Secondly i find it fascinating that you excuse this shit.

"Well you should start to play minion build to rolfstomp game with ease and then make melee build with op gear. " I played already last 2 leagues with minion builds and i vomit already that shit. They are broken and require 0 investement to get to T16 which i described on last 2-3 pages.

This is not what i consider fun. I picked melee because i wanted mostly to have some actual fun and i got my fun in campaign where melee still can do something before ele damage goes through the roof and there is no defense you can get to stop ele damage and get close to enemies.

Shadenuat

Arcane
lol I usually only get more than 4k life at level 90.

although I never played mara or anything close to huge amount of life nodes.

Perkel

Arcane
Imho STR part of tree should have several +1 to max resists or even better keystone which gives you +10 to max resist but you can't use spells or ranged attacks (including melee ranged) so they could would fuck off. Either way even at 90% cap you can still get shredded by ele damage due to how many projectiles monsters usually cast in groups and how that damage stacks.

Shadenuat

Arcane
imho you should be able to distinguish monsters on the screen similar to D2 "fire enchanted? stay fuck away. act 3? time to up fire res." but what am I saying.

Perkel

Arcane
imho you should be able to distinguish monsters on the screen similar to D2 "fire enchanted? stay fuck away. act 3? time to up fire res." but what am I saying.

I seriously now hope due to windfall from D3 system failure D4 will pick up and make proper competition to Path of Exile. I think it is the only way to force them to change meta.

ArchAngel

Arcane

?? The fuck you are talking even about. This is life build with max defenses. The only thing that is not defense oriented in this build is ascendacy which is Berserker but i picked up life leach and warcries which are defensive. Most of gear gets life. This is just normal lvl70 character. Can't get more life nodes easily early. By lvl 90 i will be sitting on at least 6k life without blood magic stuff.

Secondly i find it fascinating that you excuse this shit.

"Well you should start to play minion build to rolfstomp game with ease and then make melee build with op gear. " I played already last 2 leagues with minion builds and i vomit already that shit. They are broken and require 0 investement to get to T16 which i described on last 2-3 pages.

This is not what i consider fun. I picked melee because i wanted mostly to have some actual fun and i got my fun in campaign where melee still can do something before ele damage goes through the roof and there is no defense you can get to stop ele damage and get close to enemies.
I am sorry you are butthurt that the game is not letting you play it in the way you want it to play but instead you need to play it like the game is supposed to be played. You can always go find another game to play.

But all my sentences are 100% true. Either play it or don't. Just don't complain here like a noob.

BTW, fortify protects vs elemental damage as well. Also Berserkers get 10% more damage from all sources due to that node that gives 40% more damage.

Shadenuat

Arcane
where does it state in the rules that if you want to play guy with hammer smashing things you must play something else grind and then respec out of it?

Perkel

Arcane
BTW, fortify protects vs elemental damage as well. Also Berserkers get 10% more damage from all sources due to that node that gives 40% more damage.

I already stated that i use fortify and no i didn't take that node.
And yeah you are retarded if you think it is ok to pick up maruder or some other melee character and be absolutely fucked by game mechanics DESPITE investing pretty much everything into defense.

GGG is simply shit at designing battles as proven by every single boss after act 3.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Funny you mention it, when googled similar issue everyone throw "just jump on SSD duh" lines.
Well guess what, it's almost 2020 and everyone and their grandma have SSDs.
Of course game is on SSD because why it shouldn't be there in current year?

Tried "--nopreload", clearing cache, set "predictive" and tested other servers.
oh well, guess I'll wait till they fix that
Have you tried defragmenting the content.gppk file? Should shave gigabytes. Just move it to the same folder as Content.GGPK and run it. It'll take a while.

abija

Prophet
My ranged characters run with 6000 to 7000 ehp. Even with that they sometimes get "one shot". One shot to me is all damage that comes so fast you have very little chance to react to it. Often it is not a real one shot but a bunch of enemies shooting at you at once and murdering you in less than 1s. Or it is some exploding shit fired from off screen that is just one part of the clusterfuck that screen effects, enemies and lag produce in this game.

I would not even try to go into melee without 8000+ ehp.
You probably use the term wrong, 8000 ehp is a joke. If you mean ehp = hp + es (which is wrong), then you are bonkers the other way around. You throw around trade league end game values as being required for mid low tier maps ...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom