Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Reever

Scholar
Patron
Lyric Suite, reddit is just bitching and moaning for hand-holding conveniences as usual.
The top post right now is crying about how he can't just brainlessly rush through maps
pSlR43l.png

I don't think the patch is perfect but by looking at reddit you'd think you can't even get out of Twilight Strand without an aura bot.

Gerrard

Arcane
Chris Wilson: "I think just increasing monster health values is bad design"
Also Chris Wilson: "So we reduced player damage across the board instead"

E: How do I convince my wife's boyfriend that he's wrong for enjoying Path of Exile?
For the past two days every time I walk by my bedroom and see him in there playing reaper summoner I get absolutely livid. I cannot believe he would betray this household like this.

Sometimes I'd step in and say something like "H-hey Kieth, um, you know this league will have the worst player retention right?"

And hed always say something fucking stupid like "That's okay champ, go back to your room me and your wife need to have an important talk"

One time I tried to redditpill him again and said "H-hey Kieth the patch notes were uhh really disappointing, um don't you wanna stop because um the games so slow now, how will you do delirium encounters?"

Now get this Reddit. He had the AUDACITY to say "I didn't read the patch notes, if I can't do delirium that's fine, maybe I'll focus on delve this league"

I immediately ran out of the room sobbing, I sat at my desk and threw my chicken tenders all over the floor in disgust.

I just don't get it reddit. I'm at my wits end at this point. I cannot fathom how someone could enjoy the current state of the game. I've already tagged the developers at least 13 times in my Reddit comment manifestos do you think I should start tagging him as well? I don't even know if he checks Reddit.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Honestly player damage and monster health should both get nerfed so we stop seeing horribly asymmetrical builds where you can kill enemies with over a thousand times your own health pool in less than a second. This shit is a major factor in why PvP is unplayable.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Honestly player damage and monster health should both get nerfed so we stop seeing horribly asymmetrical builds where you can kill enemies with over a thousand times your own health pool in less than a second. This shit is a major factor in why PvP is unplayable.

Yes, damage values should never be several thousand times the average monster or player health pool.

Regardless of nerfs, the game could generally do with some number squishing.

Codex Year of the Donut
Lyric Suite, reddit is just bitching and moaning for hand-holding conveniences as usual.
The top post right now is crying about how he can't just brainlessly rush through maps
pSlR43l.png

I don't think the patch is perfect but by looking at reddit you'd think you can't even get out of Twilight Strand without an aura bot.
*make game designed for people who just want to hold down left click and collect color-coded big number loot and see explosions everywhere*
*shocked when said people don't like when you attempt to take it in a different direction*

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Were the Mana Cost Multiplier changes on Support Gems too Extreme?
Yes, they were too extreme. Based on feedback and data, we are reviewing the mana cost multipliers again and will be reducing many (but not all) of them. While this will ease the impact on your mana by a moderate amount, the goal is still that mana matters a lot more than it did before.

Are there any Changes coming to Ailment or Curse Immunity?
Ailment Immunity granted by flasks is being increased from 1 second to 4 seconds. Staunching Flasks will make you immune to Corrupted Blood, if they remove Corrupted Blood from you. Arctic Armour will grant Freeze Immunity. Aquamarine Flask is being buffed from 40% to 60% freeze reduction. The map mods that curse the player no longer apply the curses with increased effect.
Flip floppening has begun.

abija

Prophet
Making act 1 harder is beyond retarded. Experienced players will just be annoyed by extra 10-20 mins to get to maps, new players will quit because game is pure bullshit. Great job, you made retards like perkel happy!

These fucking devs got lucky and shit got to their heads. Should get krip or some other streamer for some reality check and common sense sessions asap. Saved their asses first time but guess their ego doesn't want to accept it.

I'd love a slowed down game with 10x less monsters that actually take more than 1/10th of a second to kill. But this is the absolute worst possible way to start the "journey".

Just read manifesto.

Glorious changes that were much needed. I think a lot of you think that everyone runs with 6 links. 95% of people run with 5links. The 1% is actually the most hit by those changes not the lower ones.
Absolute mongoloid as per usual.

Absinthe

Arcane
Shit like this is why GGG cannot make a decent game. Most people haven't adjusted their playstyle yet and GGG is already walking back changes based on data and bitching & moaning from people who are thirsty for conveniences that remove resource management. In closed beta mana cost multipliers were as high or higher and base mana costs were more expensive too and people were able to handle that just fine.

Ailment management should be handled better than this shit, and 4 second ailment immunity on flask use is just gonna encourage shit like spamming a mana flask with ailment immunity on it for permanent immunity because they have the lowest charge costs and the most uses.

And the currency shit is definitely something GGG should stop fucking bloating, honestly.

Honestly the game needs more of a redesign so that it's actually fun to play rather than just doling out loot bullshit all the time. I'm pretty sure one of the big reasons retention is so bad is actually because the new league mechanics just aren't fun and no one really gives a fuck about them. The whole Ward defense is generally unappealing as fuck unless you are playing dodge+evasion build maybe (except ward competes with evasion on your gear...) or doing a pure life build where you'll equip Ward for the sole reason that you don't give a fuck about any defense (but then you're probably also getting Acrobatics for the same reason), and generally amounts to a far shittier version of the energy shield mechanic, which you would rather have on your gear. The most interesting thing about this league so far is the new abilities, so it's no surprise that player retention blows. Currencies people don't want, NPCs they don't give a fuck about for a shitty form of loot collection, nerfs to a lot of shit with the aim of slowing you down, a defense you'd rather not have on any of your gear barring niche builds, and some slightly interesting new abilities. The problem here isn't actually the nerfs. It's the fact that it wasn't paired with anything that made you actually want to play the game. I don't mind a harder act 1 tbh, and they really should work on making more interesting encounters.

That said, frankly, GGG should stop pretending they're interested in making a good game and just admit they're pursuing mediocrity with the way they go about making these changes.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Making act 1 harder is beyond retarded.
The only changes I noticed were more monster types and that rhoas charge is at like 1000% speed and almost guaranteed to stun. But it's still a level 5 rhoa with act 1 monster density, so it doesn't impact much. Mervel felt very hp bloated, but she's done that for a while to me. The 50% damage penalty to ele skills is really painful in the first few acts.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's the GGG classic. They say they don't want to encourage zoom zoom, but then makes the game less tolerable to play unless you're zooming and ignoring mechanics.

PapaPetro

The whole Ward defense is generally unappealing as fuck unless you are playing dodge+evasion build maybe (except ward competes with evasion on your gear...) or doing a pure life build where you'll equip Ward for the sole reason that you don't give a fuck about any defense (but then you're probably also getting Acrobatics for the same reason), and generally amounts to a far shittier version of the energy shield mechanic, which you would rather have on your gear. The most interesting thing about this league so far is the new abilities, so it's no surprise that player retention blows.
They added in ward so that they could boostrap it onto their mobs to take a big initial hit. This way zoom players will have a tougher time 1-shotting trash and slows down the map clear.

Absinthe

Arcane
Gerrard, if you just wear Kaom's Roots, stun, freeze, and chill might as well not exist. You could also equip Dream Fragments (a must-have unique for CI builds back in the day) for freeze immunity or just build passives that ignore ailments. With the upcoming patch you can just spam mana flasks every 4 seconds for constant mana immunity. But yeah, the main point of zooming is needing to interact with enemies as little as possible and maxing clear speed. PoE just doesn't reward taking your time. Quite the opposite.

PapaPetro, they could do that without introducing ward as a gear defense. And if they wanted to make ward appealing, they should've made ward an inherent part of evasion, with evasion warding you for something like 5 or 10% of evasion rating value. You might actually see evasion builds on hardcore then.

All the new uniques seem pretty underwhelming. Medved's Challenge, for instance, is absolute fucking trash where wearing it is far worse than not wearing it. The most interesting new unique stunt is doing Nightgrip+Faithguard for massive flat chaos damage. I guess you can also use Olroth's Resolve to try to make ward non-shit but you will need to stack a lot of flask duration and flask charge generation to get that going and the damn thing penalizes you for flask effect so Pathfinder is no good (Pathfinder Scion works a bit though). If you do go down that road though you should forget about Nightgrip and you can probably break something like 5K ward with Faithguard and use it to obtain permanent -1500+ damage taken from hits, at which point ward is actually looking decent. But if you'd done Nightgrip instead you can achieve over 4k ward for +1000 additional chaos damage to spells and attacks. Decisions, decisions. You could do both but then you'd have issues achieving 1000 ward for +250 additional chaos damage since you can't use flask effect to top off your ward value and you're using trash ward value on gloves.

I feel like you might as well ignore the new shit for the most part and just experiment with the new abilities really. Manabond is an easy target for achieving multi-million DPS.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
You might actually see evasion builds on hardcore then.
Evasion is actually pretty good on hardcore as an extra layer of defense (you obviously need enough eHP to not get one shot) since it is essentially deterministic over many hits. You can't get unlucky and take two hits in a row with 70% evade chance. Unlike dodge or block, which do have this problem (but block in particular is pretty easy to add, so many people still do).

It's the GGG classic. They say they don't want to encourage zoom zoom, but then makes the game less tolerable to play unless you're zooming and ignoring mechanics.
Yeah. Zoom zoom is bad, so they make on death effects. On death effects don't bother zoomers because they're 3 screens away by the time they trigger, but they do hurt slow builds a lot, who need to make sure to dodge them.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Making act 1 harder is beyond retarded.
The only changes I noticed were more monster types and that rhoas charge is at like 1000% speed and almost guaranteed to stun. But it's still a level 5 rhoa with act 1 monster density, so it doesn't impact much. Mervel felt very hp bloated, but she's done that for a while to me. The 50% damage penalty to ele skills is really painful in the first few acts.

If that's the only changes you noticed you were not going very fast. I am very fine with slowing down the game in general, but I don't really see the reason for stretching out the first couple of acts - which they have done.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
If that's the only changes you noticed you were not going very fast
It's true. I admit to doing slow things like not having planned out every skill gem I'm going to use and interacting with league mechanics before maps.

Absinthe

Arcane
Evasion is trash in HC because you pretty much always want to build more ehp instead of more evasion as your defense. You only build evasion if you're really just building HP (and maybe mana for Mind Over Matter) and happen to already have some evasion nodes and even then you don't really want to invest in evasion. The biggest reason to invest in evasion in HC is playing Iron Reflexes honestly.

The big issue is that in HC you want to turn one-shots into things that 100% of the time will not one-shot you, since even one one-shot will end your run, ergo you never want to roll the dice on one-shots in the first place, which is why evasion is trash since it doesn't deliver that unless you have achieved 100% boss evasion somehow.

Last edited:

Seethe

Arbiter
pSlR43l.png

This game cannot be saved, because its fanbase is irredeemable.

didntdemon

Novice
The thing that you are not considering is that many HC deaths are not true one-shot. It is more common to die to a quick succession of 3+ large hits when you encounter a large pack. A relatively high HP pool + evasion is arguably better than getting as much HP as possible.

The problem though is that the right side of the tree is severely lacking in HP nodes (compared to left side duelist/maurader area), and it'll require more tradeoff to get to a good enough HP range.

didntdemon

Novice
pSlR43l.png

Hey, blowing up screens of mobs in fireworks is easily the best part of the game.

Absinthe

Arcane
The thing that you are not considering is that many HC deaths are not true one-shot. It is more common to die to a quick succession of 3+ large hits when you encounter a large pack. A relatively high HP pool + evasion is arguably better than getting as much HP as possible.
Crap like that is what you use block and dodge for, why you should run around with perma-Fortify, why you should have a generally higher EHP pool so that instead of 3+ hits it would take 8+ hits, and why you should have massive regen/leech/etc. You can also run the silly ward build I mentioned above where you aim for perma-Olroth's Resolve so you take over -1000 damage from hits but that may be too much investment.

The problem though is that the right side of the tree is severely lacking in HP nodes (compared to left side duelist/maurader area), and it'll require more tradeoff to get to a good enough HP range.
Eh, the right side of the tree can give you Phase Acrobatics with a small Thread of Hope without taking Acrobatics and it has the flask nodes. If you also opt to use a very large Thread of Hope on the Ranger jewel node you can get +10% dodge and +24% max life too. You can achieve very high amounts of dodge over there, and these days you can get HP nodes just about wherever by using cluster jewels.

Seethe

Arbiter
pSlR43l.png

Hey, blowing up screens of mobs in fireworks is easily the best part of the game.

It's fine if you want to do that, and you should be able to do so if you desire, but the devs should not balance around it.

Absinthe

Arcane
Blowing up screens of mobs in fireworks is only entertaining if you are attempting to get your own party killed by overflowing the screen with too many special effects for them to see what's happening, but then it's hilarious.

If you don't have giant explosions to fill the screen with, try summoning 10+ skeleton mages socketed in a Sire of Shards and giving them awakened GMP, LMP, Pierce, Minion Speed, and Spell Echo (use haste aura). One skeleton mage spams 12 projectiles in a nova and you have 10+ of them spamming the screen full. Works best with Guardians who give the minions a shitton of faster casting or if you have one of those ape spectres that gives everyone frenzy charges with its roar.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am not enoying this shit a lot, nerfs to defense through flask nerfs is irritating. Almost 5000 life, 75% block (with that node) and I can still die regularly in white maps when doing expediton content.

As for Act 1 buffs, that was best part of this league and they didn't go enough. It was nowhere as tough as it was in closed beta. I hope they can make the campaign nice and tough as the endgame is completely busted and not fun.

Gerrard

Arcane
Game can't be saved because the devs have no spine to actually stick to something they decide.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom