Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Perkel

Arcane
will half of the monsters be gone too?

They will be rebalancing monsters overall in next patches. But with hard core mode i have no doubt they will lower the fuck down amount of monsters on screen.

Loot wise it could be total game changer. For example if you can't buy gems suddenly those strongboxes everyone ignores can be incredibly rewarding with gem drops or currency drops.

Essences everyone used just to get some special mods now could be really rewarding reward for taking hard buffed monster. Getting guaranted +phys damage with say 2 extra mods could be huge difference.

Chaos which is basically worthless could also be gamechanger.

Uniques that you get showered by can also be completely different. Getting some shitty unique now could be build enabling thing

Imho the biggest problem will be how they will rebalance speed of game. Incursions for example will be basically impossible to do with timer.

I really hope this hard mode will give them look into core problems of POE.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
https://youtu.be/88N4s2qxRIM?t=324

Zoom forever. Backpedaling so fast he could join F1.
Maybe, maybe not. The game is actually slower now (at least for me, obviously it depends a lot on gear), and there was no talk of reverting the gem damage changes for example. Chris does say that if poe was going at 1500% speed last league, he'd like it to go maybe 800%, not 100%. He also said that he wants the game to be in a state where "white mobs die before getting to attack, blue mobs get around 1 attack before dying and rares get a few attacks off" and that offscreen clearing is a big problem.

It's a pretty interesting interview though. Hard mode *might* make campaign fun, but I kind of doubt it since a half decent spell build can zoom through campaign fast enough that it doesn't matter if your resists are uncapped.

Imo the only really good news to come out of that interview is that they're going to reduce the size of the atlas. But there's still a lot of delusions about items on the ground being worth picking up, a lot of balance decisions are made around streamers and other players who spend 100s of hours on each league, no real idea how to mitigate that without zoom you'll just instantly die due to mob damage and not having flask uptime.

It really sucks because the campaign is pretty trivial to get through, but maps scale so fast and most of the 'chase content' (bosses and such) is locked at high tier red maps which require an absurd time investment and/or a really strong skill/build.

But with hard core mode i have no doubt they will lower the fuck down amount of monsters on screen.
This is fabulously optimistic. They're just going to reduce the amount/quality of loot and restrict some options like crafting. If you expect ANY balance changes to the core gameplay you're going to be disappointed.
Imho the biggest problem will be how they will rebalance speed of game. Incursions for example will be basically impossible to do with timer.
They will be impossible, and the answer from GGG will be to convert your character into a standard league or to grind 1000+ hours until you can do them anyway.

Perkel

Arcane
Listen to what Chris said. Hard mode is now their go to when it comes to design. If they can't finish themselves incursions then obviously they will see this as a problem.

POE previously had some split like that all early leagues were divided between hardcore league and standard league with each having their own unique mechanics. Those leagues influenced core gameplay.

With 3rd mode bein effectively what leads are salivating over it is hard to not see how this will change game down the road.

I mean it is not like it would be hard to drop monster pack sizes by 50%. They can already do that game wide.

When hard mode launches i expect around 10-20% to move there. Zoomers will be happy for a while but later on people will just find it better and move there once everyone will start to play there. Especially when they will revise a lot of things for it.

Imho it is their sneaky way to make game better without zoomers blowback. IF 90% will play it then they have ace in their sleave and they will say you are minority and clearly people want this poe so fuck off.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Listen to what Chris said. Hard mode is now their go to when it comes to design. If they can't finish themselves incursions then obviously they will see this as a problem.
Except that's not what he said at all. It's like believing that when GGG introduced ssf, they'd balance the drops and difficulty around not having access to trade, or that when they introduced hc they'd balance around not getting randomly instagibbed and having no idea what happened. Hard mode is just meant to be an incredibly challenging optional mode that consumes minimal development resources. If you can't do T1 incursions until you're level 90 and have 50+ hours in maps then that's just extra spice.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3166804
Reduced the maximum cast range for long-distance skills on the following monsters: Baranite Thaumaturge
and Unearthed Runecaster, Unearthed Urchin, Black Scythe Arbalist, Detonation Totem, Carnage Pillar, Stygian Revenant, Escaped Revenant, Mortality Experimenter, Flesh Sculptor, Hunting Party, Primal Chimeral, Primal Scrabbler, and Primal Rhex.
Get fucket

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Except that's not what he said at all. It's like believing that when GGG introduced ssf, they'd balance the drops and difficulty around not having access to trade

There is nothing wrong with drops in SSF. SSF would be much worse if it would include better drops.

abija

Prophet
Yeah, a game where you use more than 1/10000 of what drops would be fucking terrible...

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah, a game where you use more than 1/10000 of what drops would be fucking terrible...

The whole point of SSF is to take pride in what you find instead of replacing trading for better drops. If you can find Kaoms every hour then there is no point in playing game then.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
kaoms aside i do recall unhealthy amount of tabulas
Tabula is one of few items that doesn't need a buff to ssf droprate, since it can be easily farmed in like 2-3 hours in blood aqueduct or the map(allegedly, I haven't done it). But aside from that, it really doesn't drop that frequently. It's not a super rare unique, but it's also not something that drops every league, at least for me.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
https://youtu.be/88N4s2qxRIM?t=324

Zoom forever. Backpedaling so fast he could join F1.

Looks like it. But from interview they also teased 3rd mode for game called for now "hard mode" and through description it seems to be pure incline.

Basically total nuke to loot system to get it to D1 level of itemization where rare is really rare. Crafting gone, most of if not all orbs gone. I also hope it will be by default hardcore and all gems/supports are not possible to buy anymore. Kind of like POE 1.0.

That would be a dream come true...

Perkel

Arcane
Chris said with talk with zizarian twitch streamers that they have players in milions, even with 30% down on this league they have still 7 digit number of people trying game.

That honestly good news. Because it gives a lot of headroom for GGG to further go with nerfs and don't watch reddit fags or steamtards numbers.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there a company Perkel doesn't shill for? He shills hard for Tim Sweeney and Epic in the Epic thread, and I see he's shilling hard for GGG in this thread.

Then again, they are both China controlled companies.

:philosoraptor:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
That honestly good news. Because it gives a lot of headroom for GGG to further go with nerfs and don't watch reddit fags or steamtards numbers.
5k2tkl.jpg

(I don't think the changes are as disastrous as some claim, the player count drop has been a long time coming)

abija

Prophet
There won't be significant nerfs in a while. Chris said it multiple times in that baeclast interview. It was obviously a point he really tried to make clear.

Perkel

Arcane
He said that he shouldn't announce nerfs in official PR campaign which is what hurt player numbers and that they packed a lot of nerfs in one go. But it doesn't means there won't be more nerfs coming. It is obvious that before POE2 they have to do nerfs otherwise you get shit poe1 game with different campaign.

Either way hype for hard mode. It is pretty clear that heads want game to go into different direction than "casual players" which is why this mode will exist.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
But it doesn't means there won't be more nerfs coming.
What he said in the interview was utterly clear "we have no more large scale nerfs planned". Maybe you're calling chris a liar. Probably they will plan more nerfs when new broken stuff gets introduced or found. But I would be surprised if there's any more nerfs that (intentionally) hit every build in the game this year.
He said that he shouldn't announce nerfs in official PR campaign which is what hurt player numbers and that they packed a lot of nerfs in one go.
I took it more as "it's a bit unfortunate that we spent so much time on announcing nerfs and mitigating the blowback, because it meant we had less time to hype the new content and get people excited" not "we should have obfuscated the nerfs". He also explicitly said that he thinks it was correct to do all the nerfs at once since they can survive one 30% drop as people decide to skip this league and maybe come back to the next, but a consistent 30% drop or a 30% drop every league would be bad.

Perkel

Arcane
Most players for non-niche games are retarded, so the macro is actually correct.

I mean if community designs game for you then maybe you shouldn't make game in first place.

Community usually doesn't know shit about game design and they thing bigger = better becaues they can't connect that things break when you go big.

Same thing with OHKO problem. Community cries for ever faster game and then cries that some monster finally catches them and monsters have to hit hard for fast character to die. Once they slow down game they can reduce monster damage and voila you have better game.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Most players for non-niche games are retarded, so the macro is actually correct.

I mean if community designs game for you then maybe you shouldn't make game in first place.

Community usually doesn't know shit about game design and they thing bigger = better becaues they can't connect that things break when you go big.

Same thing with OHKO problem. Community cries for ever faster game and then cries that some monster finally catches them and monsters have to hit hard for fast character to die. Once they slow down game they can reduce monster damage and voila you have better game.
Community doesn't know shit about game design -> proceeds to speculate about changes that would miraculously improve the game.
:hmmm:

Perkel

Arcane
Community doesn't know shit about game design -> proceeds to speculate about changes that would miraculously improve the game.
:hmmm:

By community i mean redditors and other people who never played any other game or their best rpg is gta.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom