Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

ArchAngel

Arcane
Eh in the end I brought my Reaper Necro to lvl 91 and farmed 4 ex and 200c. Now I am leveling a LL Frozen Orb Occultist as a D2 Sorc like character :D
I got a 4 Lightning Warp that teleports me almost instantly and with using LL and going full ES it is almost like Mana Shield in D2.

Ziem

Arbiter
they have players in milions
that's what really surprised me, like where is he pulling these "millions of players" from, if the game can't even reach 120k peak at launch, suppose there is some amount of latelets and standalone client players etc but still it's far from even one million
further investigation revealed a certain important detail :

"... the average player doesn't get through the download ..."
yeah
the average player
is someone who literally has not touched the game
.. the game had 6 gorillions of players this league alright

Perkel

Arcane
that's what really surprised me, like where is he pulling these "millions of players" from

PoE is available on Steam recently. For longest time it was only their own launcher and still majority of people are on it.
Game is available for both Xbox and Playstation

And it is fucking free game to begin with.

Ziem

Arbiter
>available on steam recently
>since 2013, 8(eight) years, around half a year after open beta started
>recently
lmao, i'm sure you're only pretending

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I'm not sure who is more off base, the devs sitting in the burning house saying "its fine" or the disgruntled fans/redditors thinking they know the numbers better than the devs.

Perkel

Arcane
I'm not sure who is more off base, the devs sitting in the burning house saying "its fine" or the disgruntled fans/redditors thinking they know the numbers better than the devs.

They are clearly fighting with patchinko users at this point who don't want to play game. It is self made wound over the years but they are trying to correct it, it seems.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
They are clearly fighting with patchinko users at this point who don't want to play game. It is self made wound over the years but they are trying to correct it, it seems.
That's my take on it as well. The game has some major issues that wont be fixed by just flipping a switch, but they addressed some of those concerns in the last 2 leagues and will most likely continue to do so with the next ones as well. The worst part by far at this point is the continued grind for Maven Passives and spawning Conquerors for Watchstones, so I fully expect this years winter league which always includes end-game/mapping overhauls, to address that. While it sucks to have to wait for that, the game didn't really suffer from the changes to support gems or flask changes all that much. People are just whiny little bitches who read a few patchnotes, claim "build XYZ is dead lmao" and then someone with a functioning brain makes a great build with it anyway.

PoE still allows for massive customization and any issue you may encounter in a build can be fixed if you have the gameplay knowledge. Most people just don't, don't want to acquire it either, and just want the game dumbed down. That would truly be decline.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The worst part by far at this point is the continued grind for Maven Passives and spawning Conquerors for Watchstones, so I fully expect this years winter league which always includes end-game/mapping overhauls, to address that. While it sucks to have to wait for that, the game didn't really suffer from the changes to support gems or flask changes all that much.
They said they're going to cut down the atlas regions from 8 to 4 next league already and also halve the number of conquerors you need to fight before sirus. Should reduce the atlas grind a lot.
People are just whiny little bitches who read a few patchnotes, claim "build XYZ is dead lmao" and then someone with a functioning brain makes a great build with it anyway.
There is truth to this. Spellslinger has been confirmed for dead by the reddit community, but I looked at my char with it from a previous league and while all the trigger mana costs are a problem, it's a problem that's solved by spending ~4 passive skill points (or mana regen gear/flasks). That being said, the difficulty in making builds has definitely gone up since the 'easy' sources of power have been nerfed a lot (mainly gems and flasks).

Saark

Arcane
Patron
There is truth to this. Spellslinger has been confirmed for dead by the reddit community, but I looked at my char with it from a previous league and while all the trigger mana costs are a problem, it's a problem that's solved by spending ~4 passive skill points (or mana regen gear/flasks). That being said, the difficulty in making builds has definitely gone up since the 'easy' sources of power have been nerfed a lot (mainly gems and flasks).
It's the same for cast on crit builds. But Divergent Inspiration is still a thing, add a single -flat mana cost to it, and you often end up with single-digit mana cost for spells anyway, which are often easily sustained with some mana on hit abyss jewel or some mana leech from your physical attacks. You can still easily hit 100% crit chance, you'll just have to get a flat crit mod on gear (and those are still easy to come by from Hands of the High Templar) or running increases critical strike support. Those builds still melt all content, just at slightly higher cost. But believe reddit and cast on crit is truly dead, cause they read some patchnotes about consecrated ground and power charge nerfs.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's the same for cast on crit builds. But Divergent Inspiration is still a thing, add a single -flat mana cost to it, and you often end up with single-digit mana cost for spells anyway, which are often easily sustained with some mana on hit abyss jewel or some mana leech from your physical attacks. You can still easily hit 100% crit chance, you'll just have to get a flat crit mod on gear (and those are still easy to come by from Hands of the High Templar) or running increases critical strike support. Those builds still melt all content, just at slightly higher cost. But believe reddit and cast on crit is truly dead, cause they read some patchnotes about consecrated ground and power charge nerfs.
The thing is that divergent inspiration is not easy to come by (speaking from ssf perspective, I have no idea what the market price is) and I'd argue the same is true of flat crit mods. Inspiration/inc crit strikes also have a decent opportunity cost iirc. Compare this with lucky crit from flask which would easily be 100% uptime during mapping and would easily give an extra +30% crit chance.

Obviously in some sense I have only myself to blame for playing ssf. But even so, I think there is truth to the notion that the recent round of balance changes did almost nothing to the top players while removing quite a lot of power for "casual mappers".

Saark

Arcane
Patron
The thing is that divergent inspiration is not easy to come by (speaking from ssf perspective, I have no idea what the market price is) and I'd argue the same is true of flat crit mods. Inspiration/inc crit strikes also have a decent opportunity cost iirc. Compare this with lucky crit from flask which would easily be 100% uptime during mapping and would easily give an extra +30% crit chance.
Well, Divergent Inspiration is only 10% extra reduced cost, so 40% instead of the regular 30%. If a build is unplayable because of that, then its a bad build anyway. Its one of the best supports, and has been last league as well, for any build that has a mana cost that doesn't burn through mana, and even a fully 6l selfcasted spell costing 80mana a cost is gonna get full value out of the support for 10 casts. Stacks are built quickly as well, the more multi is very solid and it allows for more DPS optimizations due to not having to spend passives/gear on needing more mana sustain.

Diamond Flasks would only give high crit chance when you had mediocre crit. The key to CoC builds in particular was hitting 100% crit, and diamond flasks did almost nothing for that. The opportunity cost of crit chance supports isn't all that high, there's few supports that were providing as much damage, and now they obviously are by far the best support you can play.

Getting flat crit corruptions on Gloves isnt hard, even in SSF you can just get any 4L gloves, throw an Essence on it for some life, and then Vaal it until you hit spell or attack crit. Any crit harvest craft on a hunter/elder chest will do the trick as well. People just want nigh-perfect gear, its why Harvest was so popular, but you can still get crucial mods pretty early and even on SSF.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Getting flat crit corruptions on Gloves isnt hard, even in SSF you can just get any 4L gloves, throw an Essence on it for some life, and then Vaal it until you hit spell or attack crit.
There's ~20 corrupted implicits on gloves. And there's about a 25% chance that a vaal orb results in a new implicit. I don't feel like statistically chugging through 80 vaal orbs (and essences+ some jews and fuses) is something you should describe as "easy" or "just". 80 vaal orbs is a whole lot, they're not that common. Especially when the resulting gloves are likely to have like 1 good mod (2 if you're lucky) on them except for the implicit, which is probably not enough defensive modifiers for the lategame.

Often when you write stuff I get the feeling we're just playing different games. Maybe you play trade, or play enough that 80 vaal orbs really is a trifling sum, or maybe you just don't understand the concept of opportunity cost. Either way "just vaal gloves 80 times" is meaningless advice to me, I don't think I've ever had that many in a single league. Especially since the corrupted jewel implicit that gives corrupted blood immunity is sorta mandatory if you want to kill Sirus (or at least that's the typical advice).

Absinthe

Arcane
Infinitron please change 'incline' to 'decline' in the title
You do realize that "MAJESTIC" is mostly a sarcastic word on the Codex, especially in all uppercase? It's a reference to a ridiculous review that claimed Skyrim was "majestic", so calling something "majestic" generally means it's pretty bad, with a nuance that it's the sort of thing that gets praised by retards.

Last edited:

tritosine2k

Erudite
Crafting 2c investment into 1ex was quite a blast. (No vaal orbs)

From what I gather PoE2 is a >manymillion dollar game by now, so they can afford to be lax about anything. Fortify nerf hinted as expected, I think "ward" is sneaking in some new bossfight mechanic. Strangely act10 defiled cathedral boss already seems to have a nonlinear health bar.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Often when you write stuff I get the feeling we're just playing different games.
This is probably very true. I do play trade, yes, but I also play enough to easily accumulate large amounts of currency without trading. I guess if you play the game maybe 5-10hours a week, a lot of builds or projects are out of reach. The self-imposed limitation of not being able to trade further limits those options, but I simply don't feel that that's the way the game was envisioned to be played. If you play a lot, SSF works well because most builds are playable with enough time investment. Getting core uniques like a Shavs or Cospris are doable, even if it takes a while, so is getting a 6L just from Jews/Fuse drops.

Most builds that are bit more fun to play or super strong, require higher investment, that's how the game has always worked. CoC builds in particular have always been builds that a lot of people want to play, but either lacked the currency or commitment to actually build properly - I'm not sure if thats a good or a bad thing. I certainly liked Last Epochs approach of having core mechanics tied to the skill-tree, not uniques or support gems, but it also severely limits build options compared to PoE, where you can combine any set of items as a foundation for your defensive layers and damage scaling.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3172380

Added an option to stop items on the ground from rendering if they're hidden by your item filter, which can help improve performance. This can be found under the Game category in Options.
about fucking time captain

I wanted to come back but heard mixed opinions about Heist condition now, some improvments there and new bugs were introduced.
Had so many spare contracts still waiting for runs.

Emmanuel2

Savant
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3172380

Added an option to stop items on the ground from rendering if they're hidden by your item filter, which can help improve performance. This can be found under the Game category in Options.
about fucking time captain

I wanted to come back but heard mixed opinions about Heist condition now, some improvments there and new bugs were introduced.
Had so many spare contracts still waiting for runs.

Heists are fine now after the hotfix and Agility feels much better. Before the hotfix, Blueprints made rogues unresponsive if you had job speed totaling over 100% (across the 3 rogues in that wing).

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
I can't think of a nerdier game than PoE.

Looks like a solid build. There's an Occultist Forbidden Rite set-up that uses multiple CWDTs and self-cast FR to murder-rape everything, with 10 Power/Frenzy charges, 4 Endurance charges, 200%MS, 3000HP/s leech, almost perma Elusive with 160% effectiveness and 80% Chaos resist. Basically, abuses the 'life on spell hit' mechanic to pump out bajillions of projectiles that are constantly returning enormous life. The FR side of things gives you a pretty steady ~20-25m DPS.

Needs Divergent Void Manipulation, though, which there are now... four left of in trade league... or it's going to be a bit scuffed (you'd need a Chaos-dmg-leech ring, which hurts the set-up a bit). Expensive and long set-up (you can switch into the build around lvl 80) but it's a Tanky McAssFucker.

I think the game would be better if combat was a little slower paced. After you get a build going, everything generally dies really fast, either the enemies or the player. There's just so much going on onscreen. And the short zoom distance doesn't help matters there.

It's a fun game and it scratches the itch that D2 used to. D3 is just the grotesque zombie made by the cannibal currently wearing blizzard's skin.

I knew D3 was gonna suck back when Blizzard's explanation for the skill system was "Choice is bad, you'll just screw up your character, besides, everyone just copied the best builds off websites". Making builds in D2 was most of the fun, you fucking clowns... It wasn't selling physical copies in gamestop 12 years after release because people wanted to copy a build off a website...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom